Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

TenTonHammer ups the ante today

Comments

• MargulisMargulis Member CommonPosts: 1,614
    Originally posted by dandurin

.... you’re going to wonder why everyone else at the convention is walking around in a daze with a slack-jawed look on their face for the next few days. Yes, the shock really will be that great. While we can’t say anything about what we saw, I will clearly state here that I predict EverQuest Next will be as much of a game changer as the original EverQuest was. Feel free to quote me on that any time.

This, on top of  MMORPg's "head and shoulders above" and "pants pooping" and TTH's "hands down the best game" pretty much has me bewildered.

What can this beast be?  Discuss.

Everyone who has seen it and has made any talk about it, granted not many, has said things like this.  Add Brad McQuaid's latest tweets after he saw the practice run yesterday to it and everyone seems to be crazy for it.  It's really got to be something because there is no way in hell all of them are just lying or bought off.  Sorry naysayers, there is something to this.

• LorgarnLorgarn Member UncommonPosts: 417

The hype is so ridiculous and out of control at this point, are they even at one point worried that their overselling it just a little bit?

Can a game really be THAT good? I'm not convinced, but I guess we'll see soon enough.

• BattlerockBattlerock Member CommonPosts: 1,393
    Originally posted by waynejr2

Originally posted by Foomerang
    I think we are going to laugh. I know I will be.

Some will be crying as well.

True true

But why in the world would these web pages overhype the game this much unless it were true? Thier credibility is always under scrutiny. With that said, thier comments are subjective to the eye of the beholder. If thier objective is simply to get us to tune in, well its working. I dont believe the game needed these hype endorsements from the web pages though.

With that it mind, I am confident that this game will cause us to "Poop Ourselves" thank you very much Mr. Bill
  • MargulisMargulis Member CommonPosts: 1,614
    Originally posted by Foomerang

Originally posted by waynejr2

Originally posted by Foomerang I think we are going to laugh. I know I will be.
    Some will be crying as well.

Hopefully tears of joy hehe ;)

Id hate to see people seriously upset over this.

Anyone have a link to that video of a kid nerdgasming tears of joy at some blizzcon announcement or something like that?  I'm not sure if it was Blizzcon or some other convention but I just remember some announcement and the camera zooms on some kid nerdgasming so hard tears are pouring out of him like Niagara Falls lol.  LINK PLEASE!!! 

• VocadiVocadi Member UncommonPosts: 205

All I really hope is that SOE can present EQN with minimal sales pitches and marketing speak. I want an honest presentation of what the game WILL do, not a bunch of misleading fluff that can be left to interpretation or will be changed on release.

Please dont sell me the game, show me the game.

• fisch1002fisch1002 Member Posts: 9
    Originally posted by Lokero

I think I've figured out the mystery, dandurin.  And, it also explains why we've seen no video leaks, etc.

(drum roll)

The game world is entirely VR(Virtual Reality).  You don't just play this game, you live it!

Then that old phrase "You're in our world now." would actually apply

• vmopedvmoped Member Posts: 1,708

I predict the game will be a blank page that we can draw whatever we want.  The ultimate sandbox!  /sarcasmoff

The hype is going Chernobyl at this point.  The past has taught me to temper my anticipation.  The good news is all the positive feedback from numerous sources.  Good times.

Cheers!

MMO Vet since AOL Neverwinter Nights circa 1992. My MMO beat up your MMO. =S

• ZolbZolb Member UncommonPosts: 53
    Originally posted by korr
    Originally posted by Loke666

I will not be hyped up until I know more of course but I will follow the information we get this weekend with interest.

Come on! this is the best time to get hyped.  when you don't have the facts you can just make stuff up.  Like I am excited because this is a sci-fi/fantasy blend where elves come from space, and dwarf type things are made from genetic engineered tree roots.

sure, there is hopefully no basis in what I just said, but I can still be hyped about it because the chance is still there :)

The problem is some people on this site will believe that and when it does not happen accuse SOE of lying to them! :)

• YalexyYalexy Member UncommonPosts: 1,058

If it's F2P, it's a failure right away.

• AffordableAffordable Member UncommonPosts: 41
    Originally posted by Yalexy

If it's F2P, it's a failure right away.

What IF? It's already been confirmed as FTP. We''ve said that a thousand times on this forum...

• YalexyYalexy Member UncommonPosts: 1,058

Originally posted by Affordable
    Originally posted by Yalexy If it's F2P, it's a failure right away.
    What IF? It's already been confirmed as FTP. We''ve said that a thousand times on this forum...

This was not a question I asked there ;)

• ShojuShoju Member UncommonPosts: 776

How many other times have we seen sites MMORPG and TTH hype up new games as the next big thing?

These sites need to generate hype to generate traffic.  Traffic equals revenue.

While I would like to see EQNext turn the MMO industry on it's head and give us something 'new', something with longevity, I am not going to hold my breath waiting for it.  We have been feed the same hype multiple times a year for the past 8-9 years and very few titles have lived up to the pre-launch hype that was waved in front of us.

• keenberkeenber Member UncommonPosts: 438
    Originally posted by Onomas
    Heard this all before on the past 20 so called game changers, epic mmorpgs, and wow killer claims from multiple game companies, blog writers, and game web sites. I will be the judge of this one, still no hype on my end, I have been highly disappointed at the garbage coming into the industry this last 5+ years.

Not saying you are wrong but i have been following MMOs for many 15 years or so and i dont rember ever seeing a major web site say that before. TTH is takeing a big risk saying what they did.

• azarhalazarhal Member RarePosts: 1,402
    Originally posted by keenber
    Heard this all before on the past 20 so called game changers, epic mmorpgs, and wow killer claims from multiple game companies, blog writers, and game web sites. I will be the judge of this one, still no hype on my end, I have been highly disappointed at the garbage coming into the industry this last 5+ years.

Not saying you are wrong but i have been following MMOs for many 15 years or so and i dont rember ever seeing a major web site say that before. TTH is takeing a big risk saying what they did.

Yep, I've never seen a gaming website that excited for a game before. Although, I suspect some people are taking those comment the wrong way too.

The TTH writer isn't saying that everyone is going to love what SOE is doing with EQN or even that it's "good" (they haven't played it). What he is saying is that the game features are freaking impressive.

• TygranirTygranir Member Posts: 741
    Wait.... what if it really is that good?

SWTOR Referral Bonus!
    Referral link
    7 day subscriber level access
    Returning players get 1 free server transfer

Leveling assistance items given to new player!

See all perks Here

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

I'm really, really interesting to see what EQN is going to be...

I'm also really, really interested to see how it is going to be monetized.

I hated EQ, UO was sooooo much better for me.

I hated EQ2, tried to get into it a couple of times, WoW was sooooo much better for me.

EQN?

Good luck!

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Originally posted by Jean-Luc_Picard
    Originally posted by keenber

What, in 15 years, you've never seen a web site overhyping an upcoming game? That happens for almost every new MMORPG...

There's hype and then there's "OMFG, I wet myself!" hype. The first type is common, the second type is reserved for special occasions... I'm seeing lots of  #2 going around from those in the know.... there just could be, maybe, hopefully, something to this.

At any rate... T minus 30 hours and 4 minutes... the truth is out there.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• MothanosMothanos Member UncommonPosts: 1,910

When such hypetrain is created you know you want to see the train wreck afterwards.
    We have seen so many mmo's past 2 decades, and only a handfull where realy worth my time for longer periods.

EQ + Eve + WoW those 3 i played for massive amounts of time.
    But to "shock" the mmo population in todays time and age you need to have something extremely next gen that crush every foundation of every mmo we have played.

And i think thats just not posible with our current rigs.
    But hey lets wait and see, i think many will be going flat on the face with disapointment, but i so hope to be proven wrong :)

• GrixxittGrixxitt Member UncommonPosts: 545

If there's a hype train it's definitely being driven by the fans and not SOE.

There's been zero marketing or media blitz by the devs themselves thus far, of course i expect that to change by about noon PST tomorrow =)

The above is my personal opinion. Anyone displaying a view contrary to my opinion is obviously WRONG and should STHU. (neener neener)

-The MMO Forum Community

• baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311

personally i haven't seen this kind of hype before by third party sites like mmorpg.com and TTH.

especially for a game that hasn't even been revealed yet. not saying you or any of us should be hyped but i would say that isn't accurate that we have "heard this all before", at least i haven't.

sure we have seen hype by developers and hopeful players, but unless you believe in conspiracy theories and the third party websites are being paid to over-hype this game (i don't believe that) then i think this game could be an industry changer after all.

we will see tomorrow what the hype is all about.

• KuanshuKuanshu Member Posts: 272

Everquest was revolutionary and ingenious, especially considering it was released as the first 3D MMORPG in 1999. Ya'll had to truly be there to fully appreciate and comprehend just how revolutionary and impressive Everquest was in that atmosphere.

We live in very different times these days...I really do not see any reason why Everquest Next wouldn't be as impressive, especially if the development team fully realized what has transpired in this genre since Everquest...building upon success has worked for some, yet building something truly successful takes everyone...which is why Everquest Next has to involve everyone who plays it much moreso and for good reason, as this is the nature of this genre which has been so sorely overlooked and forgotten; I have often wondered why and rightly so...

• baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311

Originally posted by Jean-Luc_Picard
    Originally posted by keenber Originally posted by Onomas Heard this all before on the past 20 so called game changers, epic mmorpgs, and wow killer claims from multiple game companies, blog writers, and game web sites. I will be the judge of this one, still no hype on my end, I have been highly disappointed at the garbage coming into the industry this last 5+ years.
    What, in 15 years, you've never seen a web site overhyping an upcoming game? That happens for almost every new MMORPG...

not like this no, not a game that hasn't even been revealed and i haven't seen them say the things like they are saying about this game.

i have seen glowing reviews yes, but i haven't seen comments like this before, its extremely bold statements by SOE and the the third party sites.

not saying its going to live up to all the hype, it very likely wont. but to say we have seen this kind of hype before by third party sites, just is not correct.

but feel free to give me an example of one if you disagree.

• RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,785

EQN will be the first MMO to be completely cloud driven! You will be able to play it from ANY device at any time your have internet access.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937

The actual problem is that EQ Next might very well be a game changer.

but "that's it".

Unfortunately (I'll say it again UNFORTUNATELY) some players will then fill in their own blanks, create something in their heads that is so far beyond the pale, that any announcement will just fall flat.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • KarbleKarble Member UncommonPosts: 750
    Originally posted by dandurin

.... you’re going to wonder why everyone else at the convention is walking around in a daze with a slack-jawed look on their face for the next few days. Yes, the shock really will be that great. While we can’t say anything about what we saw, I will clearly state here that I predict EverQuest Next will be as much of a game changer as the original EverQuest was. Feel free to quote me on that any time.

This, on top of  MMORPg's "head and shoulders above" and "pants pooping" and TTH's "hands down the best game" pretty much has me bewildered.

What can this beast be?  Discuss.

This is basically more hype without anything to back it up.

Back in the day (oldschool), the only way to find out about a game was through gaming magazines. There was really only a few mags related to pc games at that time. There were also several that did both pc and console. Point is that, the only way to get info on upcoming titles was to read about it and trust a little in the author that had some level of access to the actual game and devs.

Now we have gotten to the point of saturation. Every dev can put out demos and your average joe can give youtube reviews complete with music, cinematics game play.

So EQ Next went back to the oldschool with this...even before oldschool. Just giving a few trusted dedicated sites a chance to see what was under the hood and then not say much about it except that it was worth player interest.

Good going Sony. You have our attention. Now show us what's under the hood over the next few days and I will be happy.