Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Virtual Reality Finally!!

GrailerGrailer Member UncommonPosts: 893

Finally an MMO that I can virtually live within.

The last time I played such a game was back when the original EQ came out . But that was more due to the time required to actually level up and get items etc .  This is going to be the game I play for the next 5 years .

Yay!

Comments

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

Originally posted by Grailer
    Finally an MMO that I can virtually live within.The last time I played such a game was back when the original EQ came out . But that was more due to the time required to actually level up and get items etc .  This is going to be the game I play for the next 5 years .Yay!
    I really do not want to rain on your parade, but may I ask what you are basing this on?

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• Alle90Alle90 Member Posts: 83

When they start discussing EQ Next in this video, VR is mentioned.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVIIIZ6ETtY

• IneveraskforthisIneveraskforthis Member Posts: 374

Virtual Reality with in game pop up cash shop!

Oh your bag is full, Click here to purchase extra slots.

Your team has wiped out? Worry not click this button for potions!

That guy has fancy looking armor and you don't have the time to craft it? Click here to purchase it!

Want to play this race? sorry but you have to pay first.

• killahhkillahh Member UncommonPosts: 445
    That's what you get for wanting free to play games.
    And devs, that's what you get for 8 years of bad game development.

over 20 years of mmorpg's and counting...

• xausxaus Member Posts: 34

"Finally an MMO that I can virtually live within."

Why would you want to?

• DanitaKusorDanitaKusor Member UncommonPosts: 556
    Originally posted by xaus

Why would you want to?

Why wouldn't you want to?

The Enlightened take things Lightly

• WolfenprideWolfenpride Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,988

Why would you want to?

Respawn. image

• LorgarnLorgarn Member UncommonPosts: 417

Why would you want to?

Because that's basically what the majority of us did when we first got that ever so fruitful taste of what a MMO can be back in the day. Hours upon hours were spent in a virtual world.

But I guess you didn't. Nothing wrong with that though. :)

• dimnikardimnikar Member Posts: 271

what sort of VR are we talking about here?

Specifically designed for Oculus Rift stuff or just another checkbox option which adds nothing to the game?

• VocadiVocadi Member UncommonPosts: 205

There is a difference between Virtual Reality and Virtual World. An MMO  is a virtual world, building on this theme is what Georgeson was speaking of in that video.

People need to pull back on the reigns a little and have some perspective.

• vmopedvmoped Member Posts: 1,708

All this talk of virtual reality reminds me of that failed Nintendo VR system.  That thing was a pile of junk, but to the point, I just hope they are not wasting resources on a gimmicky stuff like when NVidia and Blizzard introduced the 3d stuff for WoW.  I do hope like the OP (I believe) that they give us a virtual world to explore and play in, not a bunch of linked terrariums.

Cheers!

MMO Vet since AOL Neverwinter Nights circa 1992. My MMO beat up your MMO. =S

Ok explain to me how exactly is "virtual world" an innovation, different to anything since PACMAN, or worth uttering in any concievable situation?

I didn't follow the press releases - was it emphasised that it's a virtual world, or mentioned in passing and someone got way too excited about it (OP of this thread)?

• VocadiVocadi Member UncommonPosts: 205

Okay for the sake of clarity, this is what Dave Georgeson had to say on the subject of virtual worlds. Taken from Pax East 2013 interview. Discussion begins at 1:25

Linda Carlson: "You have to invent a new name for the genre that we are developing."

Dave Georgeson: "Oh I have always liked virtual world. I mean we want uh, this is an alternate life for alot of people you get involved in it, you dont have to participate in it 24/7 you just participate at whatever you want to do but you get to know the world you get to know the people you feel part of it. And we're doing alot to make people more a part of it. We are opening it up with player studio so that they can actually be building things and selling them to other players. And thats really going to go along way. Were really going to focus in on the professional content that we can deliver and make that great and then allow players to make their own marks and get their own fame and fortune from participating in the game and being well known for having created something cool."

Alright then, it's meaningless.

What they're describing is every MMO ever.

Going to have to wait til Friday to learn anything more, I guess.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,500

Uh....yeah.  I think I'll wait until we know a bit more, and I'm really not expecting that tomorrow will bring total clarity, I expect them to continue to hold some/much  information close to the vest until we get much closer to launch.

All part of the superb hype train they've been crafting around this title.  Masterful.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• TrionicusTrionicus Member UncommonPosts: 498
    Originally posted by iamjason1989

Virtual Reality with in game pop up cash shop!

Oh your bag is full, Click here to purchase extra slots.

Your team has wiped out? Worry not click this button for potions!

That guy has fancy looking armor and you don't have the time to craft it? Click here to purchase it!

Want to play this race? sorry but you have to pay first.

I'm still loling. Shouldn't there be a "vote for funniest comment button?"

• BloodaxesBloodaxes Member EpicPosts: 4,662

Screw you OP it's virtual worlds not virtual reality.

Made me interested for nothing.

• kjempffkjempff Member RarePosts: 1,759

EqNext is truely virtual, everyone is already playing it and no one knows what it is. If only they didnt release it, it would be the greatest game ever.. in our minds. With so many diverse expectations, the storm is inevitable.

"There is zero downside to free2play" -> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVIIIZ6ETtY the ignorance.. should I laugh or cry?

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    If by "virtual reality" you mean the multiple nerdgasms that people in this forum have been displaying publicly, triggered by outlandish fantasies about their very own, private EQN wishes, then all I can say is that the end is near.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED