Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Appearance Slots?

LaiquendiLaiquendi Member Posts: 73
Would you want to bring back EQ2's Appearance Slots?

Comments

• Shadowguy64Shadowguy64 Member Posts: 848
    That'd be a nice cash shop feature. COMPLETELY optional. Those types of CS options I can tolerate.
  • AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521
    Yes

Not for the cash shop but for making your character look the way you want. I'd also like for the slot restrictions to be removed if in the appearance slot if classes will be gear restricted.
  • Shadowguy64Shadowguy64 Member Posts: 848
    Originally posted by Aelious
    Yes

Not for the cash shop but for making your character look the way you want. I'd also like for the slot restrictions to be removed if in the appearance slot if classes will be gear restricted.

They have to make money...throw them a bone.

• BeshudeBeshude Member Posts: 20
    Originally posted by Shadowguy64
    Yes

Personally I like the idea of making a choice on how that character looks and sticking with it, except perhaps a hairstyle change. No plastic surgery at will.

However, with that said I agree with Shadowguy64. throw them a bone and let cosmetic changes be something that they can cash in on as it doesn't actually effect game play. That along with other similar things like non combat pets (which I don't like but they often end up in games anyway) and unique cash shop only mounts (if mounts are available through regular game play) that are simply a skin change... so be it, let them make at least some money in this way.

**edited for typo's :P

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

considering SOE had the 1st mmo to offer appearance slots  (EQ2 Sept 2007)

http://eq2.wikia.com/wiki/LU38

I'm expecting it to be in EQN

• NagelRitterNagelRitter Member Posts: 607
    I'm OK with vanity stuff in cash shop as long as I can still look pretty good without cash shop, please.

Favorite MMO: Vanilla WoW
    Currently playing: GW2, EVE
    Excited for: Wildstar, maybe?

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Originally posted by Laiquendi
    Would you want to bring back EQ2's Appearance Slots?

Yes.  Especially for PVP.

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• kjempffkjempff Member RarePosts: 1,759

I would much prefer a certain piece of armor to look the same, so You can look at someone and think when I grow up I wan't one of those. As Dave Georgeson express it, it is all about bragging rights, and I am not going to tell You I am better than You, but You know it and I know it. What better way to do this than to have it displayed on your character.

This is in line with EQ philosphy, You looked up to people who had stuff and dreamed of greater things and finally earned it aswell. The bragging rights should not be read as a bad thing, but rather as an encouragement.

Well, ok they have to make money on something and I rather see it done on appearence items, than gamebreaking pay2win features. I would prefer a system that allowed wearing plain clothes with some benefits over fully combat geared.. for wearing in town, for faster travel, diplomacy, other?

Oh the grand times of ogres in pink dyed plate armor...

• killahhkillahh Member UncommonPosts: 445

why not?

supports individuality, for one,  might be cash shop  links as well.

biggest plus for me is the individual tastes of people,  nice to see people looks different.

over 20 years of mmorpg's and counting...

• winterwinter Member UncommonPosts: 2,281
    Originally posted by Beshude
    Originally posted by Shadowguy64
    Yes

Personally I like the idea of making a choice on how that character looks and sticking with it, except perhaps a hairstyle change. No plastic surgery at will.

However, with that said I agree with Shadowguy64. throw them a bone and let cosmetic changes be something that they can cash in on as it doesn't actually effect game play. That along with other similar things like non combat pets (which I don't like but they often end up in games anyway) and unique cash shop only mounts (if mounts are available through regular game play) that are simply a skin change... so be it, let them make at least some money in this way.

**edited for typo's :P

They will make money the same gouging way they already do.

ie. SOE: "Congrats you finally got that nice loot drop you've been questing for, bet you want to equip it and try it out don't you? Fine just pay us our fee and you can equip it so you can go questing for another item we will again charge you to equip!"

Winter

We're not talking about locked out items when someone plays for free. We're talking about items that go in your appearance slot.
    I don't mind SoE having CS cosmetic items but I think the functionality can be extended to normal items as long as they are put in the appearance slots.

If I have a armorsmith I should be able to give it to my wizard to put into his appearance slots. Maybe that is why SoE doesn't do that though, because to "cross cloth" a class you have to go through the store.
  • Agnostic42Agnostic42 Member UncommonPosts: 405
    I remember being a noob in EC tunnel and staring at the lucky bastage wielding two lammies and drooling. Original weapon graphics make the game really cool. With that said, there is also something pretty cool about a Tinkerfest decked out Ratotanga. I'm kind of on the fence I guess, both aspects are fine with me.
  • JustsomenoobJustsomenoob Member UncommonPosts: 880

I loved the EQ2 appearance slots so much.

Instead of screwing around with people and making them spend tons of money customizing single items, linking them to actual items with stats etc...there was just an appearance slot you could plunk anything you wanted into any time and cycle in and out easily.

• ariestearieste Member UncommonPosts: 3,309

definitely yes.  love appearance slots in EQ2 and every character has a really unique look and individuality.  Even after 8+ years, i see people daily in new outfits and think "wow that character looks really cool".

screenshotted three of my characters just for fun, i figure talk about appearance is always better with pictures!

http://img534.imageshack.us/img534/4337/3zz8.jpg

"I’d rather work on something with great potential than on fulfilling a promise of mediocrity."

- Raph Koster

Tried: AO,EQ,EQ2,DAoC,SWG,AA,SB,HZ,CoX,PS,GA,TR,IV,GnH,EVE, PP,DnL,WAR,MxO,SWG,FE,VG,AoC,DDO,LoTRO,Rift,TOR,Aion,Tera,TSW,GW2,DCUO,CO,STO
    Favourites: AO,SWG,EVE,TR,LoTRO,TSW,EQ2, Firefall
    Currently Playing: ESO

• DrelkagDrelkag Member UncommonPosts: 56

Yes. And I'm pretty sure something of the sort will be in.

Originally posted by arieste

Love the Ratonga on the left.

• ChawkChawk Member UncommonPosts: 16

I am a fan of the Alt appearance slots as well.  I like the fact that I can hide/show helms in EQ2 (and others). I would like to see the option to hide/show any slot if I wish.

• LorskaLorska Member UncommonPosts: 74
    I hope they are specifically appearance slots where you can just drop any item you want in there at will.  I assume it will be a cash shop thing, but I'd prefer they charge you for unlocking it completely per character and not per item.  The worst thing would be if they did it like the transmog system from WoW but instead of charging you gold every time you want to use it, charging you station cash. 
  • waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Originally posted by arieste

definitely yes.  love appearance slots in EQ2 and every character has a really unique look and individuality.  Even after 8+ years, i see people daily in new outfits and think "wow that character looks really cool".

screenshotted three of my characters just for fun, i figure talk about appearance is always better with pictures!

I like it!

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"