Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You all haven't learned your lesson yet

2»

Comments

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135
    Originally posted by Arskaaa
    Dude! its everquest! they got years mmorpg experiement.

Everyone who's ever made an MMO has years experience. Even after just 1 game. It means nothing.

• zethcarnzethcarn Member UncommonPosts: 1,558
    Good thing it's going to be Free to Play then.  Try before you invest.
  • donpopukidonpopuki Member Posts: 591

The pessimists are right...up to a point. They've been right about many games that have come out in recent years. Their track record is pretty solid. So from this perspective it's a pretty safe bet to assume the game will not meet expectations and ultimately be branded as fail.

If we travel too far down the pessimist's road however we become blind to the fact that good games have come out in the past and new types of games with unforseable success WILL eventually be released. WoW will be dethroned some day and some game will surpass it's success. To lesser extent on a individual basis we might find a game we really enjoy more than any other game we' ever played.  

It will happen some day!

• NagelRitterNagelRitter Member Posts: 607
    Originally posted by aesperus

We are all largely responsible for games getting hyped way out of normal.

I mean, I don't know. This is a game discussion forum. I also got the impression that it's a fairly hardcore forum. Most people I know don't know near as much about MMO's as the average MMORPG.com member. But, yeah, it's really a place to talk to about stuff. I'm not sure when that became hype, or what's even wrong with that. Hype is not supposed to be normal, that's why it's hype.

We're all guilty of taking information given to us, and then assuming well beyond what was actually said. We're all guilty of accusing games of 'lying to us', even when they actually haven't. And we're all guilty of letting our excitement of new games get the better of us.

Very iffy one, that varies from member to member, and some people make more informed assumptions, some developers are indeed lying a lot through marketing. It's kind of the issue of a genre which you can't exactly trial outside betas - you don't necessarily know what you're getting. A lot of peoples' excitement is caused by marketer speech or ambiguity, and the disconnect between technological capacity and current developer efforts.

Some of us have learned from this, and learned to keep our excitement in check. Some of us have learned to actually listen to what's being promised, to put it in perspective, and actually come out with a reasonable expectation of what a game will be.

To me, it sounds like you're taking all this too seriously. It's not like it's that important. This is just a place for people to come and speculate about stuff, maybe even get excited. Then go back to our daily business. And when the game comes out, we can like it, or hate it, or whatever, but human emotions are just human life, there's nothing wrong with it. To me it just sounds like you chose pessimism over optimism and I really fail to see the difference and how the old timer bitter approach is better than the optimist approach.

The key here is that until it comes out, we don't know what it is. But assuming for the worse scarcely makes you superior or more knowledgeable. If you are frequently correct, all it means is that the industry sucks, which is probably what a lot of people are expressing. When I was younger I could go to a store and pick up a random game there and it'd be great. Not good. Not OK. GREAT. Times have changed, but people don't have to, people still want GREAT, and they'll hope for it, and that is a very good thing. Pessimism and acceptance of mediocrity means great will never come.

I was personally on the GW2 hype bandwagon and I do not regret it at all. It's not the second coming but it was well worth my money and I still play it to this day and appreciate all the work put into it. And there were games I appreciated with no hype bandwagon (Rift, EVE). And there were also hype bandwagons that failed me (SW:TOR). So what of it? Did somebody die? Does that reduce my excitement prior to SW:TOR's coming out? What does it change? I think you (or the OP, rather) are just judging random people you don't know based on their mere posts on a gaming forum...

Why exactly is it so bad for people to get hyped over a game and be disappointed? Only working with things that are 100% safe and predictable is boring to me.

Favorite MMO: Vanilla WoW
    Currently playing: GW2, EVE
    Excited for: Wildstar, maybe?

• AlleinAllein Member RarePosts: 2,139
    Originally posted by ThomasN7
    After all these years after vanilla WoW many of you still have not learned your lesson yet on how to control the hype. You guys are just a glutton for punishment. So I'm here just to remind you guys that you guys need to keep the hype down, perhaps bring you down a notch or 5.  Since vanilla WoW most mmos have been average or failed miserably because between the media and players you guys hype mmos to the extreme and then when mmos fail you guys just keep on asking for more punishment. All I am saying is just relax until we see some solid gameplay and details come our way. I know because the first time Sony announces something the mmo community does not like then EQN will be the worst mmo of all time. Relax my brothers, just let EQN happen and lets watch with open eyes and listen carefully to what is going to be happening. Good luck because you're going to need it!

Damn, you didn't like or think any game after WoW was good enough so I can't get excited... what will I do. Gotta go call my shrink, I'm too hyped up! I just got EQN tattooed on my face!!!!

Seriously, you probably mean well, but are people that hyped up that they need forum pre-launch counseling and support?

• ocnozixocnozix Member Posts: 5
    After all these years after vanilla WoW many of you still have not learned your lesson yet on how to control the hype. You guys are just a glutton for punishment. So I'm here just to remind you guys that you guys need to keep the hype down, perhaps bring you down a notch or 5.  Since vanilla WoW most mmos have been average or failed miserably because between the media and players you guys hype mmos to the extreme and then when mmos fail you guys just keep on asking for more punishment. All I am saying is just relax until we see some solid gameplay and details come our way. I know because the first time Sony announces something the mmo community does not like then EQN will be the worst mmo of all time. Relax my brothers, just let EQN happen and lets watch with open eyes and listen carefully to what is going to be happening. Good luck because you're going to need it!

I have to say, you are making a good point... Still eager for Friday, but turned down about 15 notches. (In other words, I am a bit overly excited...)

I get a kick out of the other responses you mustered up! People make me laugh. But hey, they are right too (in most cases.)

-Oc
    Yeah, what are you going to do about it?

• TyvolusTyvolus Member Posts: 190

Originally posted by NagelRitter
    When people post stuff like this I always wonder: Who is "you guys"?

If I were from Joizy I would be mad, because he didn't paint everyone with the "youz gaiz," brush. If I were from the south, not only would I be on welfare and vote republican but I would be pissed off that he didn't paint everyone with the "y'all" brush. C'mon OP get ir together.... brah !!

• AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521
    The game is good or bad based on its own merit. Hype is people letting themselves get excited (see happy) and I'll not tell people to stop. Hype never made a good game bad.
  • LemacsLemacs Member UncommonPosts: 121
    If only Blizzard info would release some Titan info we could have a full blown hype fest :)

UO-EQ1-SWG-DAOC-WOW-EQ2-WAR-GW2-RIFT

• TyvolusTyvolus Member Posts: 190

Originally posted by Aelious
    The game is good or bad based on its own merit. Hype is people letting themselves get excited (see happy) and I'll not tell people to stop. Hype never made a good game bad.

ummm.....that's kinda the point...there are people out there, that flock to MMMORPG.com and try to piss all up over your cheerios !! -- or lucky charms (if that's your thing).

• cydoneqcydoneq Member UncommonPosts: 66

i think the community should step up and wait for a trail to try it out and not buy it at the first day and than brag about it ~~

atleast that is what i will do in the future.

• NagelRitterNagelRitter Member Posts: 607
    Originally posted by Tyvolus

ummm.....that's kinda the point...there are people out there, that flock to MMMORPG.com and try to piss all up over your cheerios !! -- or lucky charms (if that's your thing).

I think people who try to piss in everyone's cheerios are disgusting...

Originally posted by cydoneq

i think the community should step up and wait for a trail to try it out and not buy it at the first day and than brag about it ~~

Why? MMO's are often the best at launch. If you wait for a trial you're gonna be behind a big chunk of community.

Besides, EQN is going to be F2P anyway...

Favorite MMO: Vanilla WoW
    Currently playing: GW2, EVE
    Excited for: Wildstar, maybe?

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    Originally posted by NagelRitter

Why? MMO's are often the best at launch. If you wait for a trial you're gonna be behind a big chunk of community.

And they're often buggy, unplayable lagfests.

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it."

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• monarc333monarc333 Member UncommonPosts: 622

So true. Been trying to say this for awhile. The hype train for this game is off the rails. 

• Aldous.HuxleyAldous.Huxley Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 418
    The OP is more relevant than today than ever.