Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Help with building a new computer.

KokomoblKokomobl Member UncommonPosts: 153

Okay, I'm far from a genius when it comes too purchasing the parts I need, I tend to always fuck up with this.

and in regards to my last computer I believe a guy from mmorpg called quizzic? helped me out.

Anyways.

MY budget for my new build is £600-£700 ($900-$1000)

Obviously wanting it for Gaming for now and the future so has to last.

I don't want liquid cooling as I'm terrified I'll screw up the installation and have water leaking everywhere.

Looking for

Good Processor, 

Graphics Card,

Ram, 

Motherboard

New computer case.

Would also need to know if my current power supply "Corsair 650W TX Series PSU - 120mm Fan, 80+% Efficiency, Single +12V Rail"

would be able to handle the new build or if I needed a new one.

Current build "if anything is worth keeping please advice"

AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Socket AM3 3.2 GHz 6MB L3 Cache Retail Boxed Processor

Asus M4A785TD-V EVO 785G Socket AM3 onboard DVI VGA HDMI 8 channel audio ATX Motherboard

Corsair 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1333MHz Memory Kit Unbuffered CL9

Sapphire HD 5770 1GB GDDR5 Dual DVI HDMI DisplayPort HDCP PCI-E Graphics Card

Comments

• syntax42syntax42 Member UncommonPosts: 1,378

If you want a new processor, you have to replace your motherboard.

The RAM you have is acceptable for use in a new system, but you would probably want to buy two more 2GB sticks so you have a total of 8GB of RAM.  

The video card is acceptable to use in a new system, but it is fairly old.  The latest generation of Radeon cards are in the 7000's, and they will likely release the 8000 series soon.

Your power supply should also be fine, but it isn't a bad idea to replace it to prevent age-related malfunctions from affecting your system.

Your current case is probably still good enough to use, unless it can't fit a full-size video card.

For a new processor, the K models (example: i5-3570K) of Intel processors are considered best for gaming due to their ability to be overclocked.  Avoid the S, T, and U models.  Larger numbers on the processor model generally mean it is faster or better.  The Haswell processors recently released, so not many benchmarks will be able to tell you how much better they are for the price.  

If you're looking to save money, the AMD FX series are acceptable for gaming, but won't provide amazing performance.

Once you have chosen a processor, pick a compatible motherboard (same socket) and the rest is easy.  Post your build with links to each part and it is easy for someone to help correct issues after that.

• KokomoblKokomobl Member UncommonPosts: 153

Okay so, I was doing abit of browsing, took on some of your points.

how about this.

Intel Core i5 3570K 3.4GHz Socket 1155 6MB Cache Retail Boxed Processor

Asus P8Z77-V LX Socket 1155 VGA DVI HDMI 8 Channel Audio ATX Motherboard

Sapphire HD 7850 OC Edition 2GB Dual DVI HDMI DisplayPort PCI-E Graphics Card With FREE Never Settle Reloaded download coupon

Corsair 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1600MHz XMS3 Memory Kit CL9 1.65V

as for the case, it's really tiny, so I'm needing too purchase a new one.

would this fit the new build.

Casecom 6788 Black Mid Tower ATX Case PSU (not included)

If I could find something thats pretty much the same set-up or better, cheaper I'll be happy.

also would I need to purchase a new Processor fan as I know that some stock-fans are.... pretty rubbish.

Just so you know, the Haswell CPUs use LGA 1150 sockets, and won't run in a LGA 1155.  This means you won't be able to upgrade the processor, but that shouldn't be an issue.

Your choice of CPU cooler will depend on how much you want to spend.  Having recently purchased a Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, I want to give it a thumbs-up.  It is fairly quiet and works well enough for moderate overclocking.  If you want something more robust for pushing your CPU's overclocking potential, you will likely need to spend $100 or more.  Look around for reviews of various coolers to find performance numbers.

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,351

You should be warned that replacing the motherboard will mean that the OS license is no longer valid.

Your old system should still be decent, and on your budget, I'm not sure that I'd advise replacing it outright.  You could get wildly different but still sensible advice about what to replace from different people.

What you might want to think about doing is to upgrade a few parts now to something that is very nice, and then plan on keeping those parts through your next upgrade in the future.  But which parts to upgrade if you want to go that route isn't obvious.

If your case is problematic, then you could readily upgrade that.  But going too cheap on the new case may soon leave you thinking that the new case is also problematic.  Getting something decent that you can keep for a long time doesn't have to be unduly expensive:

http://www.ebuyer.com/391870-antec-all-black-300-case-0-761345-15321-8

One argument for replacing the processor now is that there aren't any worthwhile upgrades to it coming until 2015.  Replacing the processor will mean a new motherboard, and that means a new OS license, too.  But you could do that and stay in budget, while keeping your old memory a while longer.  The CPU and motherboard you linked above would be a nice upgrade.

A solid state drive would be very nice to have, as they make a huge difference in how fast the computer feels:

http://www.ebuyer.com/266526-crucial-128gb-m4-ssd-ct128m4ssd2

If you're going to replace the motherboard and CPU now so that you have to reinstall Windows, then it's definitely time to get an SSD, as while you're reinstalling everything anyway is the time to add it, so that you don't have to reinstall all over again later to move things to an SSD.

I wouldn't plan on keeping that power supply forever, but for now, it's still decent, and hardly a danger to your system.

Whether to replace the video card today is largely a question of how much you're willing to spend today.  If you're willing to spend the money, I'd look at a somewhat larger upgrade like one of these:

http://www.ebuyer.com/413364-sapphire-hd-7870-ghz-oc-edition-dual-dvi-hdmi-displayport-pci-e-graphics-11199-19-20g

http://www.ebuyer.com/519295-msi-gtx-760-2gb-gddr5-dual-dvi-hdmi-displayport-pci-e-graphics-card-n760-2gd5-oc

At some point in the future, you could plan on replacing the power supply and memory, and possibly getting a faster video card yet if you don't upgrade that today.

Another thing to think about is whether to upgrade the old computer or to sell it and put the money toward a nicer new one.  Assuming that it still works right, it's still decent, and should be worth something.  But if you're replacing components from it piecemeal, the old parts that you replace may be harder to get any use out of than a working computer.

• KokomoblKokomobl Member UncommonPosts: 153

Sorry for the late reply.

My old system is still decent although most games that have direct 10/11 stutter like hell, unplayable and obviously I cant play games on Ultra.

while I have the money I'd just like to splash out on something new that will play these and future games on the highest settings, thus the reason for wanting too purchase a new pc.

my original plan was setting aside the money for a PS4 but decided to go for the PC.

and yes as for the case you are correct I made that mistake agers ago >.<

as for the settings system itself what kind of money would I need to be spending to get myself a good gaming computer as you said £600-£700 was low.

I think if you wanted to, you could get decent performance out of it by upgrading your graphics card and RAM.  Something like a Radeon 7750 or 7850 would be about right for your processor.  It wouldn't hurt to have 8GB of RAM too.  Some of the stuttering might be coming from hard drive usage due to page file access because you only have 4GB of RAM.

Radeon 7850 - $160

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202004

4GB (2 x 2GB) RAM - $40

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231276

Prices should be similar for a UK supplier.

• jdnewelljdnewell Member UncommonPosts: 2,237

You may want to consider just

- adding another 4g RAM

- Adding and SSD

- Upgrading your GPU to something like a 7850 or 7870.

That will give you a nice boost in performance in games. The old 5770 is whats holding you back I think. That was a budget card when it was released years ago.

Plus if you do build an entire new system in the future you can use all of those parts in your new build.

Most of the issues you are complaining about can be resolved with upgrading the parts listed above. IMO