Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why is Tera not more popular?

g4m3sh4rkg4m3sh4rk Member Posts: 40
This game, so far, has an engaging combat system and a good story line. I am finding it difficult to dislike anything about it so far. Can some one please spell it out for me? There has to be something off about it.

Comments

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Actually a good question. It does have it's faults of course but the game is rather good and the F2P system is the best around.

It is not the best MMO I ever played but it is better than most so it could be that most people just missed it or counted it off since it is from South Korea.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435

For me when I got to the end game, I found there really wasn't one except the standard let's grind to improve our gear (via the Plus system which I don't care for) so I left.

Not a bad title, especially if you enjoy leveling up a character, and the classes were pretty fun.  Just little long term appeal, which has been true for most MMORPG's of the past 8 years or so in my case.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873
    It has been never easy for Asian MMOS to breakout in western market. Tera is not that bad though but MMOS seldom get a second chance after a bad launch.

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

• MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222

I didn't last more than a couple days due to the dull linear quest hub hopping.  The ultra Asian setting is also not my cup o tea.  I also did not like the self root on every single shot.  For "action" combat it was awful slow compared to Dragon Nest and some other real action type games.

The FTP restrictions, or lack there of, are some of the best out there...that's about the only positive thing I can say about the game.

• g4m3sh4rkg4m3sh4rk Member Posts: 40
    The combat "pausing to shoot" feature can get a bit annoying depending on what you are used to. For casters and healers it is pretty standard to stop and cast, so that doesn't bother me. As far as the graphics go, I think Tera has better art work then most MMOs. It's comparable to SWTOR in that aspect. I think you are right though it does give off an asian vibe. 
  • duggyfr3sh123duggyfr3sh123 Member Posts: 95
    nothing is good beside visuals and combat mechanics. actually besides those, it trails behind most of its competition by a land slide.
  • XssivXssiv Member UncommonPosts: 359

I played for about three weeks at launch and found that the combat got really annoying by about level 30.   Couple that with a terrible community and mediocre content and there was simply very little reason to continue playing.  

Going F2P certainly wouldn't help to address any of those issues so there was really no reason for many people to go back.

• g4m3sh4rkg4m3sh4rk Member Posts: 40
    Ok, so, I present a new question. What would make Tera better then it is right now? A more fluid directional based combat system, Raids, better pvp, more lands to explore?
  • ShaighShaigh Member EpicPosts: 2,142

Lots of people dislike that attacks roots you in place and rather wish that you can move freely when attacking.

Levelling/questing is far too linear.

The lack of variation at endgame

The dreadful enchantment system

Iselin: And the next person who says "but it's a business, they need to make money" can just go fuck yourself.
  • strangiato2112strangiato2112 Member CommonPosts: 1,538

1.  The only eastern MMO that has done well in the west is FFXI, and thats probably because most of us grew up on that franchise as console RPGs

2.  The game's leveling content (quests) is awful

3.  The game's supposed shining feature, the combat, grows stale to many people and becomes just as repetitive as tab target combat, if not more.  The majority in the genre (the people playing the games, not the people posting on mmorpg) seem to prefer tab target over action combat as well.

4. toxic community

• RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,785

I'm one of the few that things tera's combat is terrible. Primarily because the stop'n'go feels majorly disjointed. It's like the inverse of GW2 which is very fuild and only supplemented by the tab targeting.

Many hated that the quests were more linear than WoW could ever be so they had little reason to bother leveling.

For me, I can look past boring quest design if what I'm doing is fun, but I maintain that Tera has some of the worst combat I've ever seen in a MMO. Even TSW is better (and TSW's combat is kinda sad itself).

• AquaKiraAquaKira Member UncommonPosts: 39
    At launch the end game existed out of  3 dungeons (I think) and 3 hard mode dungeons... So yeah that's where the game ended for most, including me. The political system was fun but apparently after the first round it died off due to lack of reward for winning it. (my guild was 6th or something I believe so we barely lost :( )

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937
    Originally posted by Kyleran

For me when I got to the end game, I found there really wasn't one except the standard let's grind to improve our gear (via the Plus system which I don't care for) so I left.

Not a bad title, especially if you enjoy leveling up a character, and the classes were pretty fun.  Just little long term appeal, which has been true for most MMORPG's of the past 8 years or so in my case.

Same here.

Got to end game and the point was to repeat instances or the "one" battleground to get gear. Not interested.

I loved the game. if it had a pvp end game like Lineage 2 then this would have been my main game for years.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • jesteralwaysjesteralways Member RarePosts: 2,560
    Originally posted by g4m3sh4rk
    This game, so far, has an engaging combat system and a good story line. I am finding it difficult to dislike anything about it so far. Can some one please spell it out for me? There has to be something off about it.

Did you ever play Aion before playing Tera? apart from the awesome "boobshaking" graphics and slow mouse clicking combat; everything in Tera is copy-paste/modification of Aion. 1st time i play the game; i open quest book and was :"WTF". the design of quest log is exactly like Aion. then i try questing and i felt like i was playing Aion again, crafting is exactly same as Aion; starting from crafting interface to recipe to procedure. dear lord, did bluehole really had to show us so obviously that they stole game codes from ncsoft? this is just lame. i think they did great job taking away their artwork from ncsoft; i don't ethically consider it stealing as those artwork were done by them and ncsoft was just putting them in shelves but it seems like they really stole codes and software parts too. this is just lame and unethical.

i gave you my reason why i don't even wanna look at this game again.

Boobs are LIFE, Boobs are LOVE, Boobs are JUSTICE, Boobs are mankind's HOPES and DREAMS. People who complain about boobs have lost their humanity.

• AldersAlders Member RarePosts: 2,207
    Ok, so, I present a new question. What would make Tera better then it is right now? A more fluid directional based combat system, Raids, better pvp, more lands to explore?

Fluid combat (remove animation locks except for long casts)

Dynamic event system over quest hubs

More classes (this is needed in every newer MMO)

Raids (5-6 man content is not enough)

Exploration (huge game world with danger)

Housing

The above is what could be applied to every new MMO.

• BladeburBladebur Member UncommonPosts: 19

The combat system should definitively be much more fluid. IMHO future MMOs will need to choose between action or tactics gameplay, and Tera is somewhat in the middle. If you try to play it as an action game you feel frustrated due to the many commands locking your character in place and the way lag affects your abilities. It would also need collisions, although this is something I would ask of any modern game, regardless of genre.

In my experience the worse culprit was the extremely grindy and boring quest hubs. Unlike many people, I have nothing to say against mundane quests such as 'kill x more of monster y'... If, and only if, doing that represents any kind of challenge. In my visit to Tera (I only reached level 30 or so) all quests were trivial. You use your abilities in the designated monsters without little or no thought, and you are never close to dying. You need to screw up incredibly bad for a chance of that.

That is bad design. Instead, give me hard mobs that are close together so I need to learn how to pull successfully, make me find ways around dangerous monsters to reach the quest area, or give me mobs that require special tactics or skills. Make me dodge! Quest mobs in Tera do no real damage even when they connect a telegraphed attack clearly meant to be dodged. Any of those changes would not only make the leveling process enjoyable, it may also serve the purpose of teaching people how to play their character successfully in order to be competitive in the (promised) later, real game.

I may be in the minority here, however, as every modern MMO has gone the way of 'everybody wins by default' :(

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937
    Originally posted by jesteralways

Did you ever play Aion before playing Tera? apart from the awesome "boobshaking" graphics and slow mouse clicking combat; everything in Tera is copy-paste/modification of Aion.

Aion has a pvp game starting at level 20 with fortress capture. Granted at this point that pvp game has moved much closer to "end game" but it's there.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • BladeburBladebur Member UncommonPosts: 19
    Originally posted by jesteralways

Did you ever play Aion before playing Tera? apart from the awesome "boobshaking" graphics and slow mouse clicking combat; everything in Tera is copy-paste/modification of Aion. 1st time i play the game; i open quest book and was :"WTF". the design of quest log is exactly like Aion. then i try questing and i felt like i was playing Aion again, crafting is exactly same as Aion; starting from crafting interface to recipe to procedure. dear lord, did bluehole really had to show us so obviously that they stole game codes from ncsoft? this is just lame. i think they did great job taking away their artwork from ncsoft; i don't ethically consider it stealing as those artwork were done by them and ncsoft was just putting them in shelves but it seems like they really stole codes and software parts too. this is just lame and unethical.

i gave you my reason why i don't even wanna look at this game again.

Wasn't that stolen code issue resolved in court? They lost and had to pay a huge fine. The game as is being sold now can't have any of NCSoft's code left, as the judge would have ordered the game to be retired from the stores in that case.

I don't find anything unethical about taking note of some mechanics or a dialog from other games who got it right. This is done all the time in most games. Consider things such as life bars, action bars, action house dialogs, dungeon finders, etc.

• fs23otmfs23otm Member RarePosts: 506

As much as people whine about "Tab Target" combat, in truth, it is the action combat games that are horrible. Action combat loses it's polish over time. The longer you do the same combo's over and over, ad nauseum... the more boring it becomes. 

TERA is also really shallow and is one of the most QUEST hubs type games around...

• DraemosDraemos Member UncommonPosts: 1,521

I love tera, but it has some pretty big problems

1. questing/leveling is super generic and boring, the only thing that keeps it from being a total drag is the combat system.  
    2. the caster/range class combat is really boring early game, and still isn't really that great late game either; melee and tanking rocks though 
    3. combat starts out slow and doesn't ramp up to interesting until mid 20-30s; a lot of people tap out before that point
    4. healing is meh and sometimes aggravating. 
    5. I think BAMs discouraged a lot of MMO players; NA MMO players are pretty terrible gamers in general, and getting slapped around and having how bad of a player you are shoved in your face by a BAM no doubt hurts some fragile egos.  This also extends to endgame dungeons where the average MMO player gets wrecked.
    6. Lots of people get weirded out by the Elin/pedo thing. The game has some of the most badass looking armors in the industry and 75% of the population plays little Loli anime girls. It personally makes absolutely no sense to me.   I can understand a girl playing a character like that, but a guy.... Even if your not a pedo you're just pretty damned weird.
    7. It's a demanding (and gorgeous) game graphically, lowers the pool of potential players
    8. the endgame is a grind; and not a fun or varied one.  You run the same handful of instances and dailys every day, and large parts of the endgame content have been invalidated by newer content, which just compounds the problem.  And getting into those dungeons groups is tough in and of itself

Originally posted by fs23otm

As much as people whine about "Tab Target" combat, in truth, it is the action combat games that are horrible. Action combat loses it's polish over time. The longer you do the same combo's over and over, ad nauseum... 

No.  There is nothing a tab target game does that Tera doesn't do in combat.  You don't magically do different rotations in a tab target game.  It's a shallow game, but combat has nothing to do with it. 

Originally posted by Shaigh

Lots of people dislike that attacks roots you in place and rather wish that you can move freely when attacking.

Which is, of course, not action combat.  That's a bastardized form of MMO combat that pretends to be action combat.  All ARPG console games use animation locks to a certain extent; with some moves have ways of breaking animation and some moves not; it's the only thing that keeps the game's from being trivial.  (Monster hunter, Dark souls, Mount and Blade, God of War etc) If you can break and move while attacking, it makes decision making meaningless and dodging trivial.

That's why game's like TSW and GW2 are forced to utilize half-assed dodge bar mechanics that work on a resource basis.

• Methos12Methos12 Member UncommonPosts: 1,244
    Originally posted by fs23otm

As much as people whine about "Tab Target" combat, in truth, it is the action combat games that are horrible. Action combat loses it's polish over time. The longer you do the same combo's over and over, ad nauseum... the more boring it becomes. 

I agree, but I'm not sure how to word it properly. It has something to do with diminishing returns of repetitive activities. The more involved something is, action-y combat with actual aiming and clicks for attacks vs TAB targeting and hitting hotkeys, the lower the threshold is when players get tired of repeating that activity because they get burned out faster. Or something like that.

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
  • munx4555munx4555 Member Posts: 169

Can't speak for anyone else, but to me tera feels like just another themepark mmo with a half assed innovation attempt in the combat sector.

Infact id say the combat is so poorly done that its actually worse then not having hack and slash freedom, its far from fluid.

If you want to introduce fps like combat to a mmorpg I would say the best bet would be trying to replicate mount and blades combat as much as possible, the directional hits and blocks adds alot, not to mention just how fluid the combat is in m&b.

• GabiruGabiru Member UncommonPosts: 63
    That's an easy answer, only one word - Gameforge
This discussion has been closed.