Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What is your personal favorite zone/area of all-time in an mmo?

Comments

• f1sebf1seb Member UncommonPosts: 194

FFXI - Yuhtunga Junle - when I played in 2003

WoW - Ashenvale Forest - 2004

There hasn't been another MMORPG that made me stop and look around at my surroundings.  It started in FFXI because that was my 1st MMO that I had ever tried.  There were other zones which left an impression on me.  I had started in the city of Bastok so the first time I arrived in San d'Oria I was pretty much floored.  I had felt the same way when I arrived in Jeuno for the 1st time as well.  The richest city in all of Vana'diel with all the snobby races of the realm.  Yughtuna jungle though, that place was so colorful, and looked so incredibly like a paradise.  Completely different from all the deserts and average looking places that I had encountered until that moment.  That place was very cool to explore as well......after you became too op for it.....couldn't risk losing a level or 2.

Ashenvale was a special one for me since I remembered it well from playing in Warcraft 3.  I was a huge Warcraft nut and simply loved the lore so that I pretty much visited all the places from Warcraft 3 that I could in World of Warcraft.  Seeing the skull of Mannaroth in Orgrimmar, and of course Hellscreams monument in Ashenvale.  Now to think about it, also the throne room in Lordaeron where Arthas killed king Terenas, which now lay in ruins as I first saw first hand with my undead warlock early on in the game was pretty memorable as well.

I've played other mmo's since then, SWTOR, Rift, Warhammer, Tera, GW2. and others. I can't even remember a single zone that I thought was remotely cool looking.  Or that it had made me "stop and smell the flowers" sort to speak.

• zedcukzedcuk Member Posts: 10

TSW - City of the sun god.

The zone is sort of 'meh' all desert with a number of statues on prominent cliffs overlooking a large pyramid.  But the lore and the story arc.  Probably the only story arc in any MMO ive played that actually brought a tear to the eye when I finished the main quest line and realised what had happened.  For that alone its my outstanding all time favourite MMO location.

LoTRO:  Old forest.  Loved it.   In fact i loved LoTRO simply for the fact you were in the same locations from the book.

• LoverNoFighterLoverNoFighter Member Posts: 294
    Originally posted by Foomerang

Theed in Star Wars Galaxies

I agree.

Tbh I enjoyed most places in SWG. :-)

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105

Well my favorite game of all time didn't have zones because it was an entirely open non zoned , non instanced world.  That game is Asheron's Call.  My personal favorite area in the game was the area immediately surrounding Fort Tethana in the Direlands with my 2nd favorite area the Linvak Mountain ranges.  Especially the area surrounding Qalaba'r.  Both areas were my preferred favorite hunting spot in AC.  Ft. Teth mainly for the Umbris Shadow and Linvak for the Lugians.  Both I ntheir heyday were excellent for loot and experience.

God I want a game to release that is as similar to Asheron's Call as possible.  I would literraly never play another game the rest of my life if Turbine was to announce an AC3.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• DemandmanDemandman Member Posts: 57
    Corellia in SWG
  • fs23otmfs23otm Member RarePosts: 506
    Lower Guk in EQ,,, pure fun
  • azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    Originally posted by Jean-Luc_Picard
    Originally posted by azzamasin

Well my favorite game of all time didn't have zones because it was an entirely open non zoned , non instanced world.  That game is Asheron's Call.  My personal favorite area in the game was the area immediately surrounding Fort Tethana in the Direlands with my 2nd favorite area the Linvak Mountain ranges.  Especially the area surrounding Qalaba'r.  Both areas were my preferred favorite hunting spot in AC.  Ft. Teth mainly for the Umbris Shadow and Linvak for the Lugians.  Both I ntheir heyday were excellent for loot and experience.

God I want a game to release that is as similar to Asheron's Call as possible.  I would literraly never play another game the rest of my life if Turbine was to announce an AC3.

I remember spending days in Linvak Mountains hunting "Hoary Mattekars" for the pelt to make the robe. When I got mine, I kept on hunting a couple more for my friends. Yeah, it was a nice place - good memories there.

Never had luck with "Matty Robes" down south in Linvak, even though they were there I had horrible luck so my main hunting grounds was the Lugian Citadel and the other above ground camps of Gotrok Lugians.  I used to go up north around Bandit Castle, Neydissa  and Stonehold for Mattekar hunting.  Good times that AC!

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• S4ndurS4ndur Member UncommonPosts: 19

Haha I came here to tell mine knowing no1 would have the same but yet the first post has it: Ashenvale in WoW Vanilla. The music. The atmosphere. The Open World PVP back and forth was so awesome it left me "scarred". No other place since then has come even close!

OFC nowadays Ashenvale is just a barren forest with the awesome music ^^

Oh and I havent played WoW since Lich King. <Horde

Catch you on the planetside!

• PocahinhaPocahinha Member UncommonPosts: 550
    Mulgore, barrens...all horde side map
  • Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    Originally posted by MMOGamer71
    The Shire - LoTRO.

Traveling by night in the Shire is certainly my most beatifull MMO experience

Running for trains in Blackburrow is certainly my most exciting experience..

But When escaping Blackburrow  trough the back exit and finding the snowy windy caverns of Everfrost, it really got to my spine, i could definately feel the cold of Everfrost even tough it was a tropival night in real life.  The wind hammering around me really got me.  

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• GrixxittGrixxitt Member UncommonPosts: 545

UO - Good old Destard.  All the PvP and PvE you could stomach, and if you're crappy dialup connection had a hiccup the dragons would eat you in a heartbeat.

Darkfall - Tie between the Alfar capital city, Shoal, and my own private mob hunting area in a hollow volcano north of Cbay. Both of them were absolutely breathtaking.

The above is my personal opinion. Anyone displaying a view contrary to my opinion is obviously WRONG and should STHU. (neener neener)

-The MMO Forum Community

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

Ork fort outside of Yew in UO.

On Siege Perilous, I was in a guild that RP'd as Orks and we took control of the Ork fort outside Yew and had merry, merry RP, PK, and such.

Favorite dungeon of all time is UBRS in WoW - back when it was a 10 person raid, that place was super super fun (even as a 5-person dungeon) back in Vanilla - I remember being so, so happy to show off my Draconian Deflector from General Drakk something.

Favorite city is definitely Divinity's Reach in GW2 - that city is just... phenomenal. Best MMO city ever made, by far.

Favorite raid of all time is Ulduar from WoW - WotLK. I loved that place. Challenging fights, great lore, amazing visuals, massive scale/scope... Ice Crown is a close second though - that place was really well done.

• HomituHomitu Member UncommonPosts: 2,030
    Originally posted by EncoreFIN

Haha I came here to tell mine knowing no1 would have the same but yet the first post has it: Ashenvale in WoW Vanilla. The music. The atmosphere. The Open World PVP back and forth was so awesome it left me "scarred". No other place since then has come even close!

OFC nowadays Ashenvale is just a barren forest with the awesome music ^^

Oh and I havent played WoW since Lich King.

lol why would you assume nobody would have the same zone?  Ashenvale has always been quite popular, and right now it looks like it's the single zone with the most mentions in this thread, at 5 or 6.  

• SagethornSagethorn Member UncommonPosts: 57

My favourites for starter zones are :

LOTRO - The Shire

GW - Pre-Searing Ascalon

Age of Conan - Tortage

My favourite zone of all time :

GW - Grenth's Footprint.

• Whiskey_SamWhiskey_Sam Member UncommonPosts: 323
    Fornost (SOA version) - LOTRO

• KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292
    Originally posted by Jean-Luc_Picard

Oldtimer: Aerlinthe Island in AC1, and both the northern and southern mountain ranges.

Leveling zone in WoW: Loch Modan in WoW before they destroyed it in Cataclysm, Darkshire which they thankfully didn't destroy.

Dungeon: I have to go with Blackrock Depth in WoW. That place is HUGE.

Divinity's Reach in Guild Wars 2 - most impressive city I've seen in a MMORPG so far.

Wayfarer Foothills in GW2 as recent leveling zone.

Divinity's Reach is definitely amazing. Would say the best city as well.

• TygranirTygranir Member Posts: 741
    Tie between the Subway in AC1 and the chessboard in Butcherblock in EQ1

SWTOR Referral Bonus!
    Referral link
    7 day subscriber level access
    Returning players get 1 free server transfer

Leveling assistance items given to new player!

See all perks Here

• TumoraTumora Member UncommonPosts: 21
    Every zone in the "eye-candy" game, TERA: Rising
  • DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556
    Originally posted by Vladamyre
    Originally posted by DavisFlight

My favorite zone was never impressive. Returning to it today, it's sparse, even by 2001 standards. But it also feels very real.

I'm referring to Humberton, a starting zone in Dark Age of Camelot for those who chose the Highlander race.

Every time you enter the village there is an incredibly catchy/mournful tune played on bagpipes. The village is little more than a couple of shacks, some tents with venders under it, at the base of a valley. Up the valley on one side is an impressive dark age style castle. On all surrounding sides are dark forests and fields of monsters.

It felt very real to me because to get any orientation, I had to talk to a town crier who directed me to go up to the castle. In the castle there were a ton of NPCs holding a scripted conversation/debate about the politics and dooms of the realm. I found the guy I needed, talked to him, typed some words to him, and he sent me off into the forest to kill a wolf. In the woods were the first aggressive mobs of the game, I was terrified. I did finally manage to kill the wolf (though I got chased by poachers and outlaws) and brought it back to the castle for proof. My reward was a wolfskin cloak that gave me +1 constitution, and -1 charisma.

It all felt very natural and immersive, down to every last detail. Going back to that zone and hearing that music reminds me of those terror filled first levels, and how organic MMOs used to feel, before they became more games than virtual worlds.

Loved the bagpipes in DAoC. My favorite zones were any RvR zone in mid with all of the snow, Camelot, Tir Na Nog, of course the major killing field of all time, Emain Macha. Snowdonia was quite nice too.

I loved Tir Na Nog!

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

I  thought hard about this. I really liked some low level WoW zones, lots of memories there. I have to go with Shuzou City from Age of Wushu. I didn't want to give it up, but I have not seen a better crafted zone.

All the zones in Wushu are this quality. The small cities are several times larger than GW2's Divinities Reach, plus they are real buildings. You can go in and around and on top of. To top it off, they are historically correct image

Here are two of the virtual tours I made months ago. First is Shuzou countryside (3:00 is really beautiful),  second is the city (must see stuff) itself. Everything you see is playable. Both vids are in 1080p

Shuzou City

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • LonzoLonzo Member UncommonPosts: 294
    Greater Faydark EQ1

• KrimzinKrimzin Member UncommonPosts: 687
    Plane of Hate in Evequest. Was a dark zone and so much fun.

Just because I'm a gamer doesn't mean I drive a Honda.
    Best Duo Ever

Lets see your Battle Stations /r/battlestations
    Battle Station 
  • Agnostic42Agnostic42 Member UncommonPosts: 405

EQ1 Plane of Mischief

It was a blast and before they moved the entrance out of NToV getting there was next to impossible unless you knew what you were doing.

• ego13ego13 Member Posts: 267
    Golem Sanctum in Asheron's Call...you could spend hours just searching for the portal to Floating City then you have to navigate through the portals to find the Golem Sanctum so you could farm Golems until you had to leave.  Ah the good old days.

Just because every car has similar features doesn't mean that Ferraris are copies of Model Ts. Progress requires failure and refining.

• Mr_MechanicalMr_Mechanical Member Posts: 88

There wasn't just one for me.    

- In FFXI it was Valkurm Dunes.   Loved the desert-beach feeling and this was also the first zone in the game where grouping was practically mandatory even to just walk from one side to the other.

- In WoW it was Ashenvale and Tenaris.  Ashenvale because it was beautiful, vast, a little scary, and the music was amazing.  Tenaris because it was huge, exciting, and had a feeling of danger more-so than other deserted looking zones.   I also liked how often world pvp occured.   

- In EvE, I really like regions or constellations better than any 1 particular solar system.   I enjoyed the freedom of Nullsec a lot as this was where players made all the rules.  I just spent most of my time elsewhere because the market sucks in nullsec unless you build it yourself.   I hated having to travel to far just to get more ammunition.

- In AION, it was "the ice/snow" zone... don't even remember what it was called, but it was like the 2nd questhub area you got to.   Was beautiful.  

there are more I'm sure, but they were in games that just didn't leave too much of a lasting memory for me, or worse, games that just made me mad.    Either way, there's been a lot of MMO's i've tried, and very few of them were memorable.