Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What is your personal favorite zone/area of all-time in an mmo?

Comments

• JaedorJaedor Member UncommonPosts: 1,173

Hard to pick just one, since both of these are right at the very top of the list:

WoW - Storm Peaks
    WoW - Grizzly Hills

Special mention:
    LOTRO - The Shire

Edit: As others have mentioned, the music that goes with these zones makes them particularly memorable.

• NobleNerdNobleNerd Member UncommonPosts: 759

Just to mix it up a bit...

Valkurm Dunes FFXI left a big impression on me back in the day.

Many who played the early version of FFXI will remember that place well. Some will have fond memories and others will cringe at me even mentioning the place! I learned to hate Goblins there, especially early enough when you use to be able to pull a train of them and zone, leaving the goblins to attack whomever was left near the zone.... usually wiping parties.

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749

That'd be a close call between Shire and Tortage.

Abimor's right as well, when I'm in a frosty mood, then Forochel's the place to be (or Eiglophian Mountains). :)

• EpicentEpicent Member UncommonPosts: 648
    Originally posted by NobleNerd

Just to mix it up a bit...

Valkurm Dunes FFXI left a big impression on me back in the day.

Many who played the early version of FFXI will remember that place well. Some will have fond memories and others will cringe at me even mentioning the place! I learned to hate Goblins there, especially early enough when you use to be able to pull a train of them and zone, leaving the goblins to attack whomever was left near the zone.... usually wiping parties.

lmmfao. i used  to  love  when they  would train the goblins.

• KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292
    Sorrow's Furnace in Guild Wars. Hands down the one place that always comes to mind when asked about MMO areas. It's gigantic-ness and epic feel play a role. But it's also that setting, underground in a huge cave with dwarfs, I really really liked it.

• KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292
    Originally posted by Magnetia
    Pre-searing Guild Wars. Best tutorial ever.

It was very sweet!

• Tindale111Tindale111 Member UncommonPosts: 276
    early Alterac Valley when it was full and a battle could last 24 hours
  • Greyhawk4x4Greyhawk4x4 Member UncommonPosts: 480

EQ2 - Nektropos Castle

SWG - The planet of Tatooine 

WoW - Duskwood

LoTRO - The Shire

DDO - Delera's Tomb (Narrated by Gary Gygax himself)

SWTOR - Ghost space ship, The Theoretika

• PAL-18PAL-18 Member UncommonPosts: 844

Temple of Three winds ,train inc! featuring GoT! those bossloot dps fights,making new friends there while camping and helping peeps or new enemies.

Dust 2. perfect map design.

WoW vanilla : xroads ,ashenvale ,TM world pvp.

So, did ESO have a successful launch? Yes, yes it did.By Ryan Getchell on April 02, 2014.
    **On the radar: http://www.cyberpunk.net/ **

• JIUBHUNNY420JIUBHUNNY420 Member Posts: 131

I have alot, but...

Arathi Highlands - WoW

I got into some amazing fights in this area, when the rock gorlems were actually elites I single-Handedly killed a group of them as a 35 Paladin and felt like a total Badass. Plus the Bandit Castle was just a huge iconic scene as well as the entrances to Wetlands and other areas, it was the true threshold of entering the mid-tier player content in that game.

J-Hun Lookin to Creep Yall!

• cranthugcranthug Member UncommonPosts: 102
    Stranglethorn Vale, first reliable place in WoW to find open pvp.  The battle's for control of Nessingwary's camp, blockading the exit from the town in the south (the name escapes me).  Watching your back as you slew tigers and panthers. Hijacking travelers on the road.  All good fun.
  • HomituHomitu Member UncommonPosts: 2,030

Well, OP, you beat me to it.  When I saw the thread title, I came here to mention Ashenvale from vanilla - WotlK WoW.  I still get chills when I listen to the music of Ashenvale!  The atmosphere and ambiance was just haunting.  Plus, I loved the Night Elf lore.  I've logged onto a free trial account a few times since Cata, but unfortunately, they changed the Night Elf zones so much, especially Darkshore, that it's difficult to even recapture the nostalgia :(

The Human starting zones, on the other hand, the Elwynn > Westfall > Redridge > Duskwood cluster, still do it for me.  I still log on every Halloween season to quest through the human areas and venture into the haunted cemeteries of Duskwood.  Such a great atmosphere.

I also loved Howling Fjord and Grizzly Hills when WotlK came out.  

The only other zones that make the list for me are...nearly *every single zone in GW2*...  Where as, out of 10 zones, most MMOs tend to have 2 I really loath, 6 I'm indifferent to, and 1 I really like and 1 I absolutely love, GW2 seems to have 7 I absolutely love, 2 I really like, and 1 I'm indifferent to.  It's quite simply the most beautiful and fun open MMO world I've ever been in.  

• kjempffkjempff Member RarePosts: 1,759

The Oasis (original version), Kael, Velketors Labyrinth, Plane of Hate, Lake of Ill Omen, Unrest, Paw - EQ. Karazan (Medihvs tower), Shadowfang Keep, Aszhara - WoW.

• lafaiellafaiel Member UncommonPosts: 93
    At the end of the Chains of Promathia missions in FFXI, you ended up at an overlook in lufaise meadows that had a view that was second to none, to this day, its still one of the most beautiful scenes I've seen in a game  even though its an 11 year old MMO.
  • CalerxesCalerxes Member UncommonPosts: 1,641

Darklight Wood - EQ2 - Just blew me away with the creepy atmosphere the Francophile music of the weird fair, the pagan rituals, the nasty and foreboding Neriak City Of Hate, a really great starter zone and helped me fall in love with EQ2.

Neriak City Of Hate

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvO8RWwLHuo

Orc starter zone and Giran - Lineage 2 - Again such great atmosphere with the great big stone buildings and the huge open mountain zones to grind in its was cold and menacing. Giran was just the lifeblood of Lineage 2 all the player shops were there.

Orc Starter Zone

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBVnEq_dUsM

Giran theme.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=akd-3VcxhVI

This doom and gloom thread was brought to you by Chin Up™ the new ultra high caffeine soft drink for gamers who just need that boost of happiness after a long forum session.

Originally posted by Karteli

I'll throw in a dungeon to the mix, since it is technically an area.

Blackrock Spire in WoW, including both lower and upper, which were still 1 zone.  Pretty epic non-linear design, open ended, alternate routes, complex layout.

That was back in the day though, when dungeon design was about expanding someones mind through 3D orientation, instead of the current toothpaste squirter style; linear .

I freaking loved vanilla dungeons.  BC heroics were pretty decent too, based purely on their actual difficulty, but nothing compared to vanilla WoW dungeons.  I never understood why Blizzard got away from that design.  From Scholomance to Stratholm to Dire Maul to UBRS, LBRS and BRD, they were all so huge and cavernous and open.  Part of the difficulty and part of the skill it took to run them was being able to properly navigate through the maze-like lairs.  If you knew your way around, and especially if you had extensive knowledge of the mobs and were able to mark them efficiently, you were automatically an asset to your group as a leader, even if you never pressed a button in combat.  Because players relied on leadership like this for guidance and successful runs, they were more polite, focused more on working together, and forged stronger bonds.  

It was such a great dungeon era, in my opinion, one that was pretty much destroyed with the advent of speed runs, aoe tank and spank, and finally, the queue+teleport dungeon finder.  

• page975page975 Member Posts: 312
    Originally posted by Epicent
    Some of you may laugh at me but my personal favorite was  Ashenvale from WoW (pre-cata). It  may be because I was younger but it gave me a feeling of awe and wonder that I have not often gotten from an mmo. What about  you guys? What is your favorite place in an mmo. Could be a dungeon or zone  or town or whatever. I'm just curious to see what answers I'll get.

All of my favorite places were in Vanilla WoW.  I played many mmos, I had a lot of fun in many of them, but still my best places are in WoW. I still play Vanilla WoW and visit these places often.

1) Teldrassil

2) Darkshore

3) Ashenvale

4) The Hunterlands

5) Tirisfal glades

Dungeons

1) Sunken temple

2) Scarlet Monistary

3) Shadowfang Keep

Hated

Maradon

• vorrin5vorrin5 Member UncommonPosts: 71

Tough one, but I'd have to choose Ak'Anon in EverQuest. I know it's weird that I picked a starting city, but it still gives me nostalgia.

My first EQ character was a gnome and my human cleric main (second character) used to hang out in Steamfont Mountains buffing newbies. At least until my friend got angry with me for spending too much time there and not leveling. I enjoyed it though.

I even once attempted to build a replica of  Ak'Anon as a counterstrike map when I couldn't afford a subscription to EQ. It didn't turn out as well as I would have hoped though.

• cydoneqcydoneq Member UncommonPosts: 66

Tyr's Hand.

was cool farming some gold/open pvp while waiting for queue :)

• trinixtrinix Member UncommonPosts: 51

I'd start by saying EQ, almost every zone up until PoP.

Some highlights though,

Velk's lab, vertical ice dungeon ftw, kedge keep, underwater dungeon, omg. Kitty Forest, no zone has me freaked out so much as that zone, as young halfling you are educated to stay out of that zone at night. Lake of Ill Omen. Only the walk to the zone was a challange to start with. You had to walk passed these Driders. Usually one or two had see invis/stealth on them, so you had to get a SOW from your local druid/ranger or run with a group. Many groups died to them in the end. And LOIO, I remember spending so much time there. And well everything related to the dwarf, giant, dragon factions.

To make it good, Vanguard showed up and had some great adventures for me as well. Ancient Port Warehouse was already mentioned. Great dungeon with so much space, if they spend a bit more time on fixing the code, 6+ raids would easily be able to simultaniously do the dungeon and most wouldn't run into eachother at all. 

But Ruins of Vol Tuniel showed us that open dungeons had a place in modern MMO's. A big dungeon, where you would get lost, again could wander in a direction and never find another group, easily could hold 3+ groups, not counting the salamander wing that was hiding beneath the surface. Man I loved and hated that place for getting completely lost. And when you were done there you would enter Thelaseen, lair of the dragon riders. This was a dungeon in the trees, a complete society of evil guys living and walking around above ground. It's a dungeon, but it has a lot of open air. CC was really important. Last I want to mention Nusibe Necropolis. It's one of the best dungeons I've seen in years. Getting lost was easier than finding the way. Dragged corpses around with rez stones for people, had to mezz as a rogue or I couldn't get passed them. It took a lot of skill and adventuring in there with a group was super awesome as well. Really great dungeon.

I would say Nusibe was my best experience in the past years.

• ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361

Valkrum Dunes in Final Fantasy 11 because of how busy with players it was and its the place where people first start grouping and really socializing.  Plus the beaches looked nice.

Yughtunga Jungle in FF11 cuz you really could get lost in there and its dangerous as hell.

Originally posted by lafaiel
    At the end of the Chains of Promathia missions in FFXI, you ended up at an overlook in lufaise meadows that had a view that was second to none, to this day, its still one of the most beautiful scenes I've seen in a game  even though its an 11 year old MMO.

I can remember the awesome feeling of victory after emerging from the abyss of the 3rd promyvion to look over the new territories (and the fun trek to Tavnazian Stronghold), but unfortunately I just never found any zones in FFXI remotely beautiful.  Every zone, Lufaise Meadows included, just felt so barren, desolate, drab, and bland to me.  

• kyssarikyssari Member Posts: 142

Plane of Mischief in Everquest is by far my favorite area of all time of any mmo I've played to date. The entire zone was a trip with all its sercret passageways and doors, fake walls, having to click on seemingly normal objects like a torch on the wall or a book on a table to teleport to other areas in order to even be able to navigate the place made it one hell of an adventure to go through. Then you the different areas themselves like the hedge maze, the chessboard, the upside down area that changed from small to giant size as you went through it and more. The named mobs and bosses in there were pretty fun to. Also having to find the little dollhouse and click on it just to enter Plane of Mischief to begin with was pretty unique.

Best of all was when the dollhouse to enter PoM was actually located a good ways into North Temple of Veeshan (a highlvl area full of raid mobs). I'll never forget the first time I tried to make the mad dash through a fully spawned NToV to get into PoM for the first time. I had studied maps to get a good idea of where to go but otherwise had never been into NToV before. Being a ranger I invised my way as far as I could and ran like all hell soon as got to the see invis mobs who broke it. Ended up with a massive train of tons of mobs including at least 2 or 3 of the big raid boss dragons after me, my god the adrenaline rush was nuts. Unfortunately I made one wrong turn down into a dead end and when I turned around I was greeted by the maws of a whole lot of really hungry dragons lol. Had to get my corpse summoned but it was still a blast and I did make it in after that hehe. Was always my favorite zone to hang out in from there on, not only because of how unique it was and how much I enjoyed it but the fact that back then it was always so quiet because not many people cared to try and get to it let alone figure out how to navigate their way around inside of it.

• SirBalinSirBalin Member UncommonPosts: 1,300
    Originally posted by Epicent
    Some of you may laugh at me but my personal favorite was  Ashenvale from WoW (pre-cata). It  may be because I was younger but it gave me a feeling of awe and wonder that I have not often gotten from an mmo. What about  you guys? What is your favorite place in an mmo. Could be a dungeon or zone  or town or whatever. I'm just curious to see what answers I'll get.

Well...I'm not a wow fan, I like hadcore mmos.  However, STV in wow was pretty epic as a rogue.

Incognito
    www.incognito-gaming.us
    "You're either with us or against us"

• KrematoryKrematory Member UncommonPosts: 608
    Guild Wars' pre-Ascalon :-) That place bring me very good memories...

"EVE is likely the best MMORPG that you've never really understood or played" - Kyleran