Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why the Hype?

christwoodchristwood Member UncommonPosts: 66

Hey, guys!

I've noticed EQ Next is getting a lot of buzz lately and a lot of you seem to be hyped for this new Everquest MMO. So I wanted to ask why all the hype? Sorry if this question sounds rude, but I haven't seen any footage of the game nor any information regarding its features. I'm quite honestly amazed how many users and mmo news sites are discussing EQ Next. I've been wondering this for some time now, but with the SOE Live event close by, the amount of hype around EQN is even more visible than before.

I feel like I've missed some important tidbit or detail that explains how awesome EQN will be. I'd hate to be the only one not excited for a new MMO. 

Comments

• KiyorisKiyoris Member RarePosts: 2,130

My guess is that it is just because of the EQ universe. If this title was maybe called "LoreQuest", there would be very little hype.

Another reason is a person called Smedley, who has a way of causing a bit of drama to hype up the community.

• koboldfodderkoboldfodder Member UncommonPosts: 447

Dunno, maybe you missed the whole "Everquest was one of the games that started the whole MMO craze" or the "Hey, Everquest is still going on after 14 years"  or the "Everquest 2 is still going on after 8 years".  I mean, it was pretty easy to miss all of those things.....

• VikingGamerVikingGamer Member UncommonPosts: 1,350
    Because the official reveal of the game is at SOE Live this weekend. It is the nature of the beast. Long time EQ/EQ2 fans have been looking forward to it for a long time. Further, what little information about the nature of the game that has gotten out has indicated that they will be doing some new and interesting things. People always look forward to new things.

All die, so die well.

• TelondarielTelondariel Member Posts: 1,001
    Originally posted by christwood

Hey, guys!

I've noticed EQ Next is getting a lot of buzz lately and a lot of you seem to be hyped for this new Everquest MMO. So I wanted to ask why all the hype? Sorry if this question sounds rude, but I haven't seen any footage of the game nor any information regarding its features. I'm quite honestly amazed how many users and mmo news sites are discussing EQ Next. I've been wondering this for some time now, but with the SOE Live event close by, the amount of hype around EQN is even more visible than before.

I feel like I've missed some important tidbit or detail that explains how awesome EQN will be. I'd hate to be the only one not excited for a new MMO. 

EQ as a franchise has been around for almost 15 years.  It has a loyal following and a pretty (overall) fantastic community.  EQN will the 3rd game in the series, so the fans are pretty excited about that in and of itself.

The other aspect to the hype is that we have very little real information on the game itself.  SOE has decided to black box EQN until this Friday, where all the details for the game will be released over the weekend.  So, with no definitive information, all we have had is a very dedicated teaser and hype campaign from the top management of EQN to stir the pot and get people excited.  Word bites, cryptic messages, and a whole lot of dialogue designed to get people to guess, think, and, most importantly, talk about EQN.  Its viral marketing and these hype threads are the result of all that, pure and simple.

Also, you are going to hear a bunch of people chime in with bulleted facts about what EQN will be.  Ignore that.  Just wait until Fri and Sat of this week and you'll find out what's really going on.

• GaladournGaladourn Member RarePosts: 1,813
    Why not?
  • VhayneVhayne Member UncommonPosts: 632

The hype is because it's EQ, but most importantly we've been teased by the developers saying it's a basically the biggest thing since sliced bread.  The mmo sites saw the game or trailer or whatever at E3 and gave it their "Game of the Show" award, saying it's WAY beyond anything we've seen before in other games.  And the fact that the entire development has been surrounded in this "Black Box" so that nobody knows anything about the game and the HUGE information release is coming this Friday. 

We've all been "dreaming" of what it "could be" and discussing the possibilities.  That further creates unintended hype.

• MarkusrindMarkusrind Member Posts: 359

One of the most recognised IP's in the genre

Pretty much the father of modern MMO games

One of the leading software houses in the industry

Releasing the 3rd title in a hugely popular franchise withing the RPG genre

Claiming to have a revolutionary game in the making

various sites agreeing that the game is what it promises

Yeah, no idea why the game is geting hype myself :)

Personally I hope what they release makes a lot of people eat their words because so many people on this and other site are so short sighted, stuck in their ways, lacking vision and pretty much too dumb to imagine what can be done with an MMO. I hope people gasp when they see what is being done.

Will they? No idea but rather then get caught up in the hype I wait patiently hoping that they really do have the balls to go next gen.

• AstraeisAstraeis Member UncommonPosts: 378
    Although the question was probably rhetorical, the answer is that there is not that much to be exited about. at the moment when it comes to mmo's.

It takes one to know one.

• TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,026

Thanks for adding to the plethora of "Why the Hype?" threads.

Search function is your friend and thanks for spamming more pointless threads. Hype trains bother you, we get it. What you don't get is that hype is an issue you have to deal with internally not externally. Nobody cares if it bothers you.

You stay sassy!

• jdnycjdnyc Member UncommonPosts: 1,643

Smedley said EQN will be the largest Sandbox MMO ever.

Both MMORPG.com and Ten Ton Hammer, whom got to see it,  gave it Best in Show at E3.

Smedley said you'll get your hands on a release version of what they're doing this year.

I would say those are the biggest contributors for the hype.

• KniknaxKniknax Member UncommonPosts: 576

Hey, guys!

Ah I see what you did there - annoyed that people are excited about a game without many details, but trying to word it in a way that sounds like your being interested :)

If you look on this very forum, you will see lots of people asking the same thing, with lots of replies explaining it. If you spend 10 minutes reading through, then you will understand and either a) also be interested or b) still angry. If b) probably best to go and have a little lay down for a bit.

By the way, if you played WoW for 10 years, and then WoW 2 was announced with no details yet, I guess you would probably be interested in how it was going to be too? No?

"When people don't know much about something, they tend to fill in the blanks the way they want them to be filled in. They are almost always disappointed." - Will Wright

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

Its like all hype, generated without all that much to really support it. It helps greatly that its Everquest, the series that started the MMo scene we know today (something which people neglect to give credit WoW took a majority of their design from). The original Everquest was a big thing in the day and a great game at that. 

• st3v3b0st3v3b0 Member UncommonPosts: 155
    Originally posted by jdnyc

Smedley said EQN will be the largest Sandbox MMO ever.

Both MMORPG.com and Ten Ton Hammer, whom got to see it,  gave it Best in Show at E3.

Smedley said you'll get your hands on a release version of what they're doing this year.

I would say those are the biggest contributors for the hype.

This ^-^

Plus it is is EQ!

• TelondarielTelondariel Member Posts: 1,001
    Originally posted by Kniknax

Hey, guys!

Ah I see what you did there - annoyed that people are excited about a game without many details, but trying to word it in a way that sounds like your being interested :)

If you look on this very forum, you will see lots of people asking the same thing, with lots of replies explaining it. If you spend 10 minutes reading through, then you will understand and either a) also be interested or b) still angry. If b) probably best to go and have a little lay down for a bit.

By the way, if you played WoW for 10 years, and then WoW 2 was announced with no details yet, I guess you would probably be interested in how it was going to be too? No?

How patronizing.

The OP just sounded perplexed and curious to me, and I happen to agree.  Unless you were involved in the last 2 months of discussions (which were 99% speculation) it all doesn't make a lot of sense as there really isn't a base for the threads aside from pure hype.  Asking for a source for 30+ pages of hype (this forum alone) isn't out of the question.

All he asked was, "Why?".

• IadienIadien Member UncommonPosts: 638
    There hasn't been a new EQ since 2004. A large amount of the hype is the promise of new ideas and not doing the same old shit (FF14 and Wildstar). EQ in a sandbox.... Also, a little thing called nostalgia.
  • christwoodchristwood Member UncommonPosts: 66

Thanks for all the replies! Especially those who were kind enough to give their honest opinions why they are looking forward for EQN or why they believe others are. And I'm sorry for those who felt like I was wasting their time.

Just to specify - I'm not against hype. Not at all, I'm actually one of those gamers who get hyped really easily. Sometimes I even feel I enjoy the wait for a new MMO more than actually playing it. I suppose that's why I got a lil' worried when suddenly everyone around here started talking EQ and I was left baffled.

I've played EQ, but not too much. I got into the MMO scene too late to truly appreciate the magnitude of Everquest. But I'm now definitely interested in the SOE event reveal, more than I was before making this thread =)

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534

Hey, guys!

it's just the only thing to hype atm.

for a real hype you need a minimum of infos. if you have more than that, you can't hype.

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860
    I think the topic title should have the "y" in the word Hype replaced with an "o".

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• munx4555munx4555 Member Posts: 169

Hype? I guees alot of it is due to people being ready for challenging sandbox mmo's to make a comeback, though personally I am quite skeptical due to SoEs track record this last decade.

That said, if SoE is able to properly learn from theyr past mistakes, and manage to tie together some of the truely amazing stuff some of theyr mmos had, they have the opportunity to make something truely amazing.

• LyrianLyrian Member UncommonPosts: 412

Because it is of the same IP that belongs to the first MMO I ever played, which was also my first 3D video game experience, my first experience of an online game past what Diablo 2 was (wow...such a long time ago!), the first time i grouped in a dungeon, late nights killing skeletons with my RL friends.

Basically the pure joy and discovery of discovering something brand new and having it last for a very long while.

I don't expect a similar experience until I am thawed from cyrogenic freezing hundreds of years in the future. But I can hope EQN will prove me wrong.

• dandurindandurin Member UncommonPosts: 498

The MAIN reason for the hype for Friday is that the details of EQ:N have been hidden.

Thus, endless speculation becomes possible.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

the ip

and 3 more days to seeing game info at SOE Live Friday noon Pacific

• XthosXthos Member UncommonPosts: 2,739

My hype vote was cast on, the fact that I am looking forward to finding out about the game, not specific things they said are in the game.

I played EQ for 6-8 years total, with 1 break, and it is one of my top 2 mmos, so sure I am interested in seeing what they will be delivering, couple that with not being a fan of current mmos, and them promising to be different....No the question is, is this different something I will hate even more....  I am ready to like it or hate it, but either way, I am eager to see.

• Agnostic42Agnostic42 Member UncommonPosts: 405

Several reasons really...

1.) It's Everquest!

2.) It's Everquest!

3.) Refer to 1, if that doesn't cover it, then refer to 2=)

• TuchakaTuchaka Member UncommonPosts: 468
    hype is also what gets people to pay for a game before it even comes out, dunno why people don't learn to avoid hype and not buy into it, how many MMO's have flopped recently, how many terrible games has SOE made.  Personally i am ignoring it until it comes out if its good i'll play it.