Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Help!..FF14 or Wildstar

page975page975 Member Posts: 312

I was almost ready to give up on mmos. I'm old school, and it seems as I better get with the program at least a little bit.

Both seem intriguing but in totally different ways :

FF14 -

Has a release date in August.

NO CASH SHOP and a sub ( I like that )

Complex classes and game play.

Seems to have some group elements mostly dungeons.

Wildstar -

No release date :(,............ but seems somewhat soon.

Complex game play.

Like how the rolls have to work together, making it somewhat open world group friendly.

Cartoonist, but I don't care, world seems as if it will have an alive fun atmosphere.

I'll play FF14 because it comes out first. But my problem is that if I try to call it home and dictate myself then Wildstar will make me carious. HOWEVER if months go by before Wildstar, I can hold off and read here to see if The game is REALLY good, or just pisses people off like most mmo's.

Whats your view ? feel free to add your up and comming mmo !

Comments

• koira1koira1 Member UncommonPosts: 264
    Why not both?
  • page975page975 Member Posts: 312
    Originally posted by koira1
    Why not both?

Well because I would like to call one home if one is better than the other, I'll not have the time to invest in both.

It's a given for me to take the one that comes first I guess ( FF14 ). If its good I'll stick with it even after realese of Wildstar, and check on wildstars progress, who knows it may suck.

As far as EQ Next, screw SOE with its F2P crap. SOEs been letting me down for years with greed type crap.

• BattlerockBattlerock Member CommonPosts: 1,393
    Just play FF14 first like everyone else is, then check out wildstar once it launches in september, and then when EQNext launches check that out as well in the spring of 2014 just like everyone else will.
  • RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383

Hard to say about Wildstar - we haven't seen much from it in terms of gameplay, other than to know it comes from a lot of Ex-Blizzard folks.

FFXIV, we all saw 1.0 - a lot of people have had their hands on ARR beta, and it has a concrete release date.

I would say try ARR, because it's coming out soon. If you like it, stick with it. If you don't, well, WildStar probably won't be out for a while yet...

ANd if you do like ARR, and decide to try WildStar, well, there's nothing wrong with that either. You can always dip your toes in the water, and if you like it jump ship, and if not, no harm no foul.

• QuorinaQuorina Member Posts: 41

I agree with the above poster, try ARR, and if you don't like it, you can try WildStar. Personally I'm looking forward to both, although the gameplay in ARR seems a bit WoWish, but it is highly immersive so I'm giving it a shot. I've played in the last two beta weekends, and had a lot of fun.

WildStar looks like a beast of its own, and I will definitely play that when it comes out. Love everything the devs have talked about with it so far, but after SWTOR and GW2, I am not going to get too hyped.

Why bother inserting EQN into the equation? I've never seen so much hype here for a game we know almost nothing about. It's silly.

• CoatedCoated Member UncommonPosts: 507

I say EQN. Here is why -

Both Wildstar and FF14 (more so FF14 as of recent), are ok games. They aren't breaking any molds, they aren't offering anything we haven't seen before. FF14 is looking good, not amazing.. Just good. I'll be playing FF14, but I know that I simply chose the game because the other games on the list.. Well, they just look awful. Wildstar and ESO are going to flop. They are big piles of garbage.

So where does our hopes and dreams go? Well, they go into EQN.  It goes there because there is a slight chance that the game could be epic. It has the money and people backing it that 'has' the potential to be amazing. That Is what everyone is waiting for, 'amazing'. You won't get that from FF14. You won't get that from ESO. You won't get that from Wildstar. What you will get from those games is just 'good'.

I'm looking for amazing.

• VoqarVoqar Member UncommonPosts: 510
    Originally posted by koira1
    Why not both?

Personally if I'm fully invested in an MMO, there is no time for another.  And I'd prefer to be fully invested in an MMO.

When between MMOs like now, revisiting Rift but not fully committed and having no desire to redo endgame there again (as I did for months after release), I hop around a bit.  I'm dinking with TERA again too, but mostly just to craft and rack up gold.

I wasn't THAT interested in FFIX but also haven't really followed it so I don't know that much about it.  The fact that it will have a sub is a good thing to me too, since F2P makes me want to vomit.  I had high hopes for EQN but if it's going to be F2P then it will never be a good game.  Period.

F2P is the worst thing to happen to MMORPGs.

F2P usually involves pay to win, where scrubs who are too lazy to even play games can buy their way thru games.

F2P often facilitates cheating (for ex in Rift with REX, or GW2 with gems - a way for players to buy game currency for real money, like buying from chinese gold sellers but it's built into the game - and it's utterly lame and another way for gutless punks to get ahead in games without actually playing the game - just throw some cash).

F2P means designers have to keep cash shop in mind and can't just create content without the stink of nickel and diming being involved.

F2P means lower quality players including many who think the world owes them everything including multi-million dollar entertainment for free.  Players who have zero financial vestment in a game exhibit far worse behaviors in gameplay, chat, etc.

F2P is bad for community since players are less likely to give a crap about the game or to consistently stick around.  Guilds suffer.  Community is worse than ever.

So, right now, FFIV is the only good looking MMO on the horizon.

All of the best MMORPGs have had subs.  All of the MMORPGs that have lasted years and that have had loyal players for years have had subs.  There is not a single F2P MMORPG that remotely measures up to or has ever provided the same kind of experience.  And no F2P MMORPG ever WILL provide that same kind of experience.

IMO SOE is blowing it if they go F2P with EQN.  You can't say you're going old school if you go F2P, because there is no way any F2P MMO can ever have an old school vibe.  Old school MMOs are all about strong community and earning your way by playing and playing well - all things that F2P crushes and eliminates.

Wild Star looks like a WoW clone including the graphics so dunno about that one.  Nothing about it really looks remotely interesting so I don't get the buzz for it (that exists on this site and this site only...but you could say the same for a lot of fringe MMOs that almost nobody plays).  I'd happily be wrong about WildStar since we badly need SOME game to come out that's at least worth trying.

Premium MMORPGs do not feature built-in cheating via cash for gold pay 2 win. PLAY to win or don't play.

• ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361
    Play the FFXIV open beta and see how you like it.  I got a feeling your gonna stay after getting a taste of it.
  • MageickMageick Member UncommonPosts: 102

While I am a e supporter of ARR, I've been around played 1.0 all the way through, Legacy member, beta tester since phase 1.

I will play FFXIV:ARR since it will release before Wildstar, but  Wildstar has me more excited. Love the humor, and the systems and gameplay ideas are very unique and polished.

I am excited to play ARR but I will be taking a break when Wildstar releases.

• -aLpHa--aLpHa- Member UncommonPosts: 852

I played the ARR beta and i was bored by it at level 8, so my recommendation would be Wildstar. I really like some of the profession paths, which sound very fresh and new but i will really reserve my final judgment until i can actually play it.

My wallet got burned way too many times.

• DarkVergilDarkVergil Member Posts: 73

FF14 Bored the shit out of me by level 5, wouldn't suggest that to my 5 year old cousin. Wildstar, from what I've seen from the gameplay video, looks like another generic WoW themepark. Seeing as how FF14 bored me to tears from the beta and I haven't tried wildstar yet I say go with wildstar.

Just don't expect anything new or original while playing it though.

• NagelRitterNagelRitter Member Posts: 607

I'm on the FF XIV side of things... it's not terribly innovative, but it seems well-developed, and I can definitely enjoy my time in such a case. It has a few things that are better done than other themeparks, such as crafting. Either way, FF XIV will come out before Wildstar.

Wildstar for me is interesting to observe, but I don't particularly care for it atm. I'll admit I hate the art style, but other elements of the game did sound interesting. But until they release enough of a game that people experience and play, I don't want to waste my time on it.

As for EQN, who knows how far off it is and SOE and F2P and... bleh.

Favorite MMO: Vanilla WoW
    Currently playing: GW2, EVE
    Excited for: Wildstar, maybe?

• Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,056
    Originally posted by Coated

Wildstar and ESO are going to flop. They are big piles of garbage.

That Is what everyone is waiting for, 'amazing'. You won't get that from FF14. You won't get that from ESO. You won't get that from Wildstar. What you will get from those games is just 'good'.

I'm looking for amazing.

Hey man, I put in for this really cool job and I was wondering if you could tell me if I am going to get it? Oh....and I also would like the winning lottery numbers for this weekend. Thanks. 

Seriously man, when that "amazing" mmo comes out I will be right next to you enjoying it.....but you do not know which one that will be. My guess (that really is what this all is despite your soothsayer impersonation) is we won't see the next "amazing" MMO coming, it will be a surprise when it happens. Not to mention amazing is in the eye of the beholder anyway.

EQNext amazing? Might be, but how you can imply it will be is beyond me when there isn't even a screenshot yet...that I know of anyway. 

Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • DoctorhooDoctorhoo Member UncommonPosts: 235

I still like the "Why not Both" Response.

FFXIV has a concrete date end of this month.  Wildstar is still 2013.

If you are a one MMORPG at a time person.  You can't go wrong with FFXIV.  Standard Game is like $30 and just monthly fee.  You can always take a break from it later, cancel your sub.  Try Wildstar Later if you want, and come back to it later.

As for EQNext.  It's all hype right now.  Not a lot of tangibles.  I'll wait for more info, pics, and game play tyvm.  I just find it odd, the day it went on the boards here everything else jumped at least .5-.75 down on the popularity hype poll on the front page.   It might be good but who knows - its not going to be here to play 2013.