Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nov 2004 = WOW best MMO choice | August 2013 = WOW best MMO choice

KopogeroKopogero Member UncommonPosts: 1,685

Although soon it might be #1 or #2 choice cuz of FFXIV:ARR, but still that has to be determined and of course this is just my opinion, but I would love to be wrong...

The irony is how 9 years has passed, which is 10% of our lives...and some things we can learn.

Great MMORPG ran by a great company can last for almost a decade and be still superior. So if anyone has to blame anything else, but themself for not managing to achieve HALF of WOW's success will continue to deliver what we've mostly seen delivered over the years and I would really prefer if I played more than 5-6 great MMORPG's in my lifetime...

Comments

• RamanadjinnRamanadjinn Member UncommonPosts: 1,365
    Wow is definitely one of the best MMOs out if you're into that whole "WOW" thing.
  • KopogeroKopogero Member UncommonPosts: 1,685
    Originally posted by Ramanadjinn
    Wow is definitely one of the best MMOs out if you're into that whole "WOW" thing.

And that's the thing, I'm so not into that whole "WOW" thing cuz I started as a sandbox player with Ultima Online and SWG-Pre CU. But experience and harsh times has taught me to learn to adopt and see what many like about games like WOW. It took me a while to find valid reasons to have some enjoyment from the game and I'm thankful I did find otherwise God help me with the genre...

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

I think it is a flawed notion that there is a "best" choice of MMO.

Just like there is no "best" choice of FPS .. i play many, there is no "best" choice of MMO.

When i want some Star Trek, i play STO. When i want some daredevil, i play Marvel Heroes.

• CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    Originally posted by Kopogero

Although soon it might be #1 or #2 choice cuz of FFXIV:ARR, but still that has to be determined and of course this is just my opinion, but I would love to be wrong...

The irony is how 9 years has passed, which is 10% of our lives...and some things we can learn.

Great MMORPG ran by a great company can last for almost a decade and be still superior. So if anyone has to blame anything else, but themself for not managing to achieve HALF of WOW's success will continue to deliver what we've mostly seen delivered over the years and I would really prefer if I played more than 5-6 great MMORPG's in my lifetime...

Thanks for reminding me that I spent 10% of my life playing WoW :) 

WoW is great, but you can't deny that it's beginning to grey a little bit. After WOTLK I left for a bit, came back for Cata, left again for a bit, came back for MoP, left again. Simple fact is that WoW isn't as engaging as it once was. Is that because there are more options now? Possibly. Is it because WoW is stale? Maybe a little. Unfortunately I think that the dumbing down of WoW is what really ruined it for me. I find that there was much greater differentiation when skill trees were in place. If they don't come back I don't know if I'd ever go back. IMO, it's all about easy-mode class balancing, which is lazy. 

WoW still has some of the cleanest gameplay out there, for sure. I'm less convinced that they have the best game out there now, though. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916
    Back in 2004 WoW was the only MMO which I was subbed to. I don't play WoW nowadays but I still think that it's the only MMO which is worth the sub fee. I don't play subscription games anymore but if I had to play a sub game WoW would be my only choice.

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,627

I was hardcore through Vanilla and Burning Crusade, a bit through Cata and some on Panda Express.... Now I can't be bothered to even log in. I found 3 years is when I start to lose interest and the MMO becomes stale regardless of expansions and added features.. That doesn't cut the bread after a while, so I am banking on some new Console game play. I have barely played a console in the last 9 years... I think it is time to give it a try, so many titles look great with some massive online play options.

That's my Canadian 5 cent opinion

"The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

Originally posted by CrazKanuk

WoW still has some of the cleanest gameplay out there, for sure. I'm less convinced that they have the best game out there now, though. 

What the "best" game is, depends on your experience.

I played WOW for 3+ years till last Xmas when i quit. It still was a great game for me, but anything gets old. The notion of a "best" MMO is flawed. It changes with mood, and how much you have experienced a game.

I wouldn't play WOW again, but the fact that i have already spent 3 year+ on it shows that it is a great game (for me).

• BrianshoBriansho Member UncommonPosts: 3,586
    WOW Nov 2004 > WOW Aug 2013

Don't be terrorized! You're more likely to die of a car accident, drowning, fire, or murder! More people die every year from prescription drugs than terrorism LOL!

• VoqarVoqar Member UncommonPosts: 510

I pretty much agree even though I'm done with WoW (cata ended my interest in WoW).  Even with cata being horrible and pandas being even more horrible, nothing has come along to really challenge even an ultra dumbed down WoW.

I did consider Rift to be better than WoW but I think Trion pooched it a bit with their xpac.  They went the way of cata and released content more suited to raiders and people who ground experts into dust, kind of blowing off everyone else and making it so that their huge influx of new players via F2P kind of get the shaft once they hit 50 and hit SL lands.  So few people do dungeons at 50+ while leveling because they're just not fun.  This is a big failing, IMO, considering all pre50 dungeons are a blast.

I mean basically Rift is a WoW clone with a lot more to do, cloned off before WoW started the descent into childishly simplistic.  Rift's dungeon and raid content is equally well done, IMO.  I suppose WoW has a better PvP setup but I consider all MMO PvP to be complete garbage (other genres do PvP so much better) so that's not a factor in my judging.  If you like quality PvP I have no idea how you could consider MMO PvP an option.  The leveling content is comprable.  Both games have deep lore.  Both give you lots of side crap to collect or achieve.

Rift piles on the planar content on top of everything else and Trion releases way more content faster than Bliz ever has by a long shot.  Bliz pretty much gives you next to nothing for your sub buck except the right to log in.  They patch but a lot of it is finally releasing stuff you pay for regularly via premium priced xpacs.  The actual new features and content patches from bliz are few and far between.

GW2 is doing ok, I suppose, and was well received, but I don't even consider GW2 to be a MMO.  It's a massively single player game.  It's the MMO for the illogical types who want to solo in MMORPGs (instead of doing the ONE thing you can ONLY do in MMORPGs and in no other game, which is group/raid PvE content cooperatively in a persistent world).  Even grouping in GW2 is basically 5 solists sharing an instance and chat channel.

Other MMOs have come along that are worth checking out, like SWTOR, Aion, TERA, Secret World, but none of them remotely compare to the grand daddy.

I don't see TESO being worth a damn the way it's currently being described.  Why a franchise built on PvE is going heavily into PvP boggles my mind.  Why make an MMO if you're not going to create MMO style content or features.  A watered down skyrim with a lot of immersion destroying brats running around or spewing in chat isn't my idea of a good game.  I would've rather seen ES go the route of privately hosted multiplayer, ala Minecraft or Cube World.  Let me have the glory of skyrim with a few friends on a server we control - without 100's of xXDrizztXx dudes running around.

FF Reborn...maybe.  Could be a return to the somewhat of an old school feel that some of us seek.  Anything would be better than yet another waste of dev time and insult to D&D like Neverwinter.

I'm looking forward to the EQNext reveal.  For me, MMO history began with EverQuest (UO was around but it's not exactly the same style game IMO).  It'd be pretty cool to see SOE make a big splash with another EQ title.  I'm fully prepared to be disapointed though, since the very fact that it's supposedly going to be F2P means that it has little hope of being the next big thing by default.

F2P is the worst thing to happen to MMORPGs.

I was seriously hoping that EQNext would be a return to sub-based MMOs and an emphasis on quality gameplay.

F2P usually involves pay to win.  F2P often features built-in cheating (currency exchange like GW2 gems or Rift REX turn the hosting companies into the "chinese gold sellers").  Any game where you can "win" by throwing cash at the system is garbage.

The best MMOs in MMO history were sub-based and had gameplay and content that built and preserved community.  You just will never match that with a F2P model.

Premium MMORPGs do not feature built-in cheating via cash for gold pay 2 win. PLAY to win or don't play.

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690
    It is still the best mmo choice for new players. It has a little bit of everything for someone. It is just old and needs to die an honorable death so we can all move on to better things.
  • ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534

And that's the thing, I'm so not into that whole "WOW" thing cuz I started as a sandbox player with Ultima Online and SWG-Pre CU. But experience and harsh times has taught me to learn to adopt and see what many like about games like WOW. It took me a while to find valid reasons to have some enjoyment from the game and I'm thankful I did find otherwise God help me with the genre...

you know what's the funny thing?

the first version of wow i played was a pure sandbox *g* no npcs, no quests, no mobs.... just the world :P

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,071
    I've been playing my own, personally best choice of MMO game (singular!) since well before Nov 2004, during Nov 2004, and I will in all probability be playing the same game in August 2013.  Therefore, I personally disagree with WoW being the "best MMO choice", then and now.

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

• ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092
    Originally posted by Phaserlight
    I've been playing my own, personally best choice of MMO game (singular!) since well before Nov 2004, during Nov 2004, and I will in all probability be playing the same game in August 2013.  Therefore, I personally disagree with WoW being the "best MMO choice", then and now.

+1 to that! Though I did not start on November 2004 (February 2005) and am still playing that one MMORPG I started back then with. Fun thing? My char is still not even maxed out after 6 years of paid subscription and I really like that :D

• djazzydjazzy Member Posts: 3,578

there is no best choice

there is a personal best choice though

• Cristina1Cristina1 Member UncommonPosts: 372
    If only game companies spent these 9 years making games with new game mechanics and exciting, living world mmorpg's instead of trying to copy WoW with different skins,  we might have had something else as most popular game by now.
  • Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

I got me some free trial today, just to check out the new teddy near zones and monk klass and maybe catch me some ash pokeballs..

I noticed that the graphics and annimations surprisingly still lookd okay.. like the withstood the time extremely well, and got some minor updates. Where realistic games from that periode look awfull compared to todays standards, WoW looks better then when it was released. Which only shows that choosing for cartoony style graphics helps in the longlevity department

I think WoW will function for another ten years as the easy access port to MMos, espescially when the game goes ftp one of these days... Its a matter of time till Blizzard will try this approach of F2p with cashshop and sub option.. Becaus if it worked for all those other games, why would it not work for the grandma of all those games?

Now i am ready to see how much fun the gameplay still is..Or isnt, since i really love the more action oriented combat of GW2, DCUo and even Neverwinter.

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• kevjardskevjards Member UncommonPosts: 1,452

its not that WOW is a great game.the problem has been that one side of it is there hasn't really been any good competition out there.secondly and probably the most important is why would people leave wow if all they are going to be doing is the same in other mmo's.all the progress and time people have spent in wow to do what,start again?

to me wow was ok but like most games you get sick of them in the end.i spent all my time between 2007-now playing lotro and I really have trouble logging in..i,m just kind of bored with the MMO scene atm.hope eqnext does something different .

• KBishopKBishop Member Posts: 205

Apparently most of the western MMORPG market thinks so

Considering the fact that people have other options of MMORPG's all of which cost the same, and in some cases some are free to play, AND WoW STILL has the highest sub base atm, I'd say that yea, WoW is the best MMO out there.

• WightyWighty Member UncommonPosts: 699

I think you are confusing "BEST" with "MOST POPULAR"... I mean McDonalds has been around forever and certainly the formula has changed over the years and it's popularity has grown...

To me that stuff tastes like dog shit... not that I have tried it but it is what I would imagine it would taste like.

What are your other Hobbies?

Gaming is Dirt Cheap compared to this...

• KBishopKBishop Member Posts: 205
    Originally posted by Wighty

I think you are confusing "BEST" with "MOST POPULAR"... I mean McDonalds has been around forever and certainly the formula has changed over the years and it's popularity has grown...

To me that stuff tastes like dog shit... not that I have tried it but it is what I would imagine it would taste like.

That's a bad argument.

People go to mcdonalds because it's cheaper and quicker than most options. Not because of the quality. WoW is offering you their product of the SAME price (and in some cases a higher price), and no real change in customer service. When the price is the same, then people aren't flocking to something because it's more popular, they are flocking to it because they personally find it better.

• gkb3469gkb3469 Member UncommonPosts: 148
    I consider WoW the Backstreet Boys/Britany Spears of MMOs. They can churn out the hits but are they really that great? Sure we love to sing along and have fun but no one REALLY likes them. Are you really going to put them on the same tier as Motzart or The Beatles? No. Millions of people LOVE wow and they should but that doesnt mean its the best. 
  • lathaanlathaan Member UncommonPosts: 476

WoW threads in 2004 = WoW threads in 2013

God bless GW2 and its community ;)

• codifiercodifier Member UncommonPosts: 47

F2P is the worst thing to happen to MMORPGs.

I was seriously hoping that EQNext would be a return to sub-based MMOs and an emphasis on quality gameplay.

F2P usually involves pay to win.  F2P often features built-in cheating (currency exchange like GW2 gems or Rift REX turn the hosting companies into the "chinese gold sellers").  Any game where you can "win" by throwing cash at the system is garbage.

The best MMOs in MMO history were sub-based and had gameplay and content that built and preserved community.  You just will never match that with a F2P model.

I find it disgusting to read these kind of posts where people blame the F2P model, when it's actually the publisher's fault. Btw, I don't see anything wrong with RIFT's F2P model, it seems that you have grown to hate F2P in every aspect.

Originally posted by gkb3469
    I consider WoW the Backstreet Boys/Britany Spears of MMOs. They can churn out the hits but are they really that great? Sure we love to sing along and have fun but no one REALLY likes them. Are you really going to put them on the same tier as Motzart or The Beatles? No. Millions of people LOVE wow and they should but that doesnt mean its the best. 

"great" or not is just a matter of preferences.

Blizz games are all highly rated on metacritics, a fact.

Blizz games are all fun to me, another fact. Other than that, there is really nothing more to add.

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,306
    Originally posted by CrazKanuk

Thanks for reminding me that I spent 10% of my life playing WoW :) 

I thought it was odd that the OP is 90 years old, but you are also?

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil