Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

SOE used SWG to test EQN

TimothyTierlessTimothyTierless ColumnistM, ORPosts: 2,163Member Uncommon

From the rumors we are hearing it looks like all of the player made stuff SOE was doing for SWG near the end might have been a sort of testing ground for EQN. From what I recall it was some very interesting content and I can't wait to see how it's progressed since SWG.

Comments

• TuchakaTuchaka san diego, CAPosts: 468Member
    They are both sandbox games there is no connection between the two
  • XthosXthos Columbus, OHPosts: 2,628Member

No idea, I stopped playing after the NGE, I got into SWG kind of late, as I am not a big sci-fi mmo player, and I spent a crap ton of time harvesting raw materials to be able to do all the crafting, and when they changed everything, they screwed all the harvested raws up to, and took medical crafting away, which my wife was doing, so she was pissed...

So we were done, and not around to witness any of the later stuff, maybe you could post some examples.

• TimothyTierlessTimothyTierless Columnist M, ORPosts: 2,163Member Uncommon

Originally posted by Tuchaka

Didn't Smed himself say he liked the tools they were putting into SWG and liked where that concept was headed?

• FoomerangFoomerang Portland, ORPosts: 5,565Member Uncommon

I think the storyteller feature could work in any mmo and would fit in a cash shop.

• donpopukidonpopuki Dearborn, MIPosts: 591Member

Such a confident blanket statement. Other than both games were produced and developed by SOE...

• TuchakaTuchaka san diego, CAPosts: 468Member
    Originally posted by Tierless

Didn't Smed himself say he liked the tools they were putting into SWG and liked where that concept was headed?

Smed can say a lot of things , nobody outside of the gaming media has seen one second of this game.  While I am sure they learned a lot from having made a previous sandbox game I am sure there is no direct connection between the two games. MMO's in general are starting to go in more of a sandbox direction I can't help but think the amount of theme park games that has flopped as of late is big part of that reason, the genre needs to change.

• TimothyTierlessTimothyTierless Columnist M, ORPosts: 2,163Member Uncommon

Originally posted by Tierless   Originally posted by Tuchaka They are both sandbox games there is no connection between the two
    Smed can say a lot of things , nobody outside of the gaming media has seen one second of this game.  While I am sure they learned a lot from having made a previous sandbox game I am sure there is no direct connection between the two games. MMO's in general are starting to go in more of a sandbox direction I can't help but think the amount of theme park games that has flopped as of late is big part of that reason, the genre needs to change.

I swear I saw a snippet from him somewhere where he said SWG was sort of a testing box for ideas for a "new" secret MMO they were working on, which we now know to be EQN.

• grimfallgrimfall Missouri City, TXPosts: 1,155Member Uncommon

You mean there's not going to be AT-AT's and Jedi?  Wow, what a disappointment.

Developers re-use stuff all the time, even coding between games.  It's quite possible there will be shared code or systems (like database design) between the two games, the character data database design may have been made in 1996 and carried through all of their games to today.  At the very minimum they're going to use their experience of creating player made buildings from SWG, even if actual coding is all re-done.

You've sort of said there's no connection between the Model A Ford and the Model T.  Of course there are connections.

• OrrinnOrrinn Jenison, MIPosts: 15Member Common
    My wife, friends, and I were just talking about this. I hope they take anything and everything they can from the Galaxies experience, including learning from the mistakes, and apply it to EQN. It'd be that much better for it.

Game History (the ones that count): Everquest, Everquest 2, Star Wars Galaxies, World of Warcraft, Planetside 2

• OmaliOmali MMO Business Correspondent Orchard Park, NYPosts: 1,114Member Uncommon

Originally posted by Tuchaka They are both sandbox games there is no connection between the two

I swear I saw a snippet from him somewhere where he said SWG was sort of a testing box for ideas for a "new" secret MMO they were working on, which we now know to be EQN.

Developers do this quite a bit. Valve used to use Day of Defeat: Source for testing additions to the Source engine and now they use games like Team Fortress 2 and Dota2 to test out engine upgrades and money making systems.

Check out my monthly column on MMORPG.com.

• NadiliNadili Grand Forks, BCPosts: 197Member

I feel like after Smed's public apology for NGE that EQN is his way to make it right with at least some of those players. I don't see it as testing ground so much as possibly taking from those concepts and expanding on them for EQN.  Time will tell if they can get it right.

• jdnycjdnyc Long Island City, NYPosts: 1,696Member

Well there is that tweet back in May where he said to the effect if you like SWG, you will like EQN a billion times more.

• winterwinter El Paso, TXPosts: 2,276Member Uncommon

From the rumors we are hearing it looks like all of the player made stuff SOE was doing for SWG near the end might have been a sort of testing ground for EQN. From what I recall it was some very interesting content and I can't wait to see how it's progressed since SWG.

So your saying SOE is gonna NGE EQN?!

• RamanadjinnRamanadjinn Huntsville, ALPosts: 1,365Member Uncommon

There is some evidence that originally EQN was more like WOW/EQ2 than SWG.  As they said they scrapped the original EQN because it was turning out to be a bit too much like what is common in the industry.

I guess there is no way to know though.  I would bet that there is some truth to the notion that SOE learned something from SWG.

• jdnycjdnyc Long Island City, NYPosts: 1,696Member
    Originally posted by winter

So your saying SOE is gonna NGE EQN?!

As long as George Lucas is far away from the project, I wouldn't worry.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Arkham, VAPosts: 10,910Member

I feel certain that from SOE's perspective, they would have much rather had SWG be successful enough that there would be no good reason to close it, ever. Implementing features that people like seems like the kind of thing to do in order to achieve that.

That doesn't mean they can't learn from SWG, but I don't think they did stuff in SWG to test the waters for EQN. Of course, I could be wrong too.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• noncleynoncley LondonPosts: 648Member Uncommon

What rumours?

• noncleynoncley LondonPosts: 648Member Uncommon

LOL. There's a connection right there. Right in your one line post.

• achesomaachesoma Portland, ORPosts: 1,000Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by jdnyc

Well there is that tweet back in May where he said to the effect if you like SWG, you will like EQN a billion times more.

Please don't get my hopes up only to be crushed into a billion pieces come Friday. 

• VikingGamerVikingGamer Nowhere, TXPosts: 1,348Member Uncommon

They are both sandbox games THAT IS the connection between the two.

Why wouldn't they use sandbox features from their previous works in a new sandbox title?

All die, so die well.

• AffordableAffordable BarcelonaPosts: 41Member

Here, this is nice.

@RoarAshley if you liked SWG.. you'll like EQN x 100000000000

— John Smedley (@j_smedley)

https://twitter.com/j_smedley/statuses/337707023951081472

But is he talking SWG NGE or SWG Pre-CU?  Mmm..

• VikingGamerVikingGamer Nowhere, TXPosts: 1,348Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Affordable

Here, this is nice.

— John Smedley (@j_smedley) May 23, 2013

I would hope that if they have learned anything from SWG it was that NGE was not their best idea. We will see.

All die, so die well.

• achesomaachesoma Portland, ORPosts: 1,000Member Uncommon

Here, this is nice.

That's a lot of zeros. 

• AffordableAffordable BarcelonaPosts: 41Member
    Originally posted by achesoma

Here, this is nice.

That's a lot of zeros. 

Yeah, It's a pretty fucking bold statement to be honest. SWG sandbox + EVE pvp(which I gather from some of his interviews) ...I would be oh so happy. Can't wait to see the game!

• NagelRitterNagelRitter fewefw, CTPosts: 607Member
    Smedley's statement is just really overstretched marketing, I find it highly unlikely that EQN will approach SWG. Midly satisfy, maybe, but EQN needs an unprecendented jump in quality to surpass SWG and I am just not seeing SOE having that capability at the moment.

Favorite MMO: Vanilla WoW
    Currently playing: GW2, EVE
    Excited for: Wildstar, maybe?