Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

My €1100 PC build, tell me what you think.

WaterlilyWaterlily Member UncommonPosts: 3,105

I'm going to use it for Corel Painter (graphics program) and Gaming.

Tell me what you think please, it should be around 1000.

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670 200€

MOBO: Gigabyte H87-HD3 100€

Memory: 16GB (2x8GB)  DDR3 1600MHz Kingston Value Ram 125€

GPU: MSI 7850 2GD5 180€

SSD: Intel 520 Cherryville (530 coming?) 120GB 130€

HDD: Western Digital Green 1TB (WD10EZRX) 60€

Blu-Ray: Asus BC-12D1ST 60€

PSU:  Enermax Triathlor FC 650W 120€

PC case: Antec 1100 110€

1185€

edit: changed my PSU

Comments

• shukoladeshukolade Member UncommonPosts: 113
    Looks solid in my opinion, but  where do the prices come from? If I remember correct you can build this for 100-150€ cheaper.
  • WaterlilyWaterlily Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    Originally posted by jezzkaya
    Looks solid in my opinion, but  where do the prices come from? If I remember correct you can build this for 100-150€ cheaper.

From Pricewatch on http://tweakers.net/

I tend to order all my parts from the same shop, a physical shop, not online. He usually has a fair price, but not the cheapest.

I don't know what they are going to charge for them, but I took average price.

• shukoladeshukolade Member UncommonPosts: 113

Unfortunatly I cannot read netherlandish ;-)

But if you buy it from a local supplier and don't mind the ~10% extra cost this seems to be a well built computer.

The graphics card is average, but easily upgradable once you really need it.

• syntax42syntax42 Member UncommonPosts: 1,378

The i5-4670S is a low-power model of the processor.  For the price, I don't think it is worth it.  Either buy a i5-4670K for performance or a i5-3570K (and LGA1155 motherboard) for the budget.  If you want to stick with LGA1150, any of the other processors without a letter in the model number should outperform the S model.

The 120GB SSD might seem small after you put your OS and two games on there.  It is doable, but 240GB might be more comfortable for game space.

Do you really watch blu-ray movies on your computer?  In the States, everyone I know who has a blu-ray watches it on their TV with their PS3.  Computer gamers I know just stream their movies.  I can understand if things are different there due to bandwidth caps.

Thank you, I'll try to find some benchmark on the S vs K. I want a low watt system though.

Yes, I buy blu-ray because I have no TV, hah. I can't get things like netflix here I believe, most of my movies are in Chinese or French, don't know of a service I can get here that has them really. Maybe amazon, hm will look into it.

• CyclopsSlayerCyclopsSlayer Member UncommonPosts: 532

Just a personal opinion...

I have had, difficulties, with ASUS Motherboards recently and their driver/bios updates. Admittedly that was not using the current chipsets, but the Z77's.

So, MSI or EVGA are what I prefer for MB's.

• ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092

IMO ditch the Blu-Ray player and get a DVD-player. Unless you're planning to watch Blu-Ray movies it's a waste of money since no one uses it as a data medium...

The rest... Think it's okay ;)

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,351

The S stands for "slow".

The Core i5 4670S, 4670, and 4670K will be identical (both in performance and power consumption) in loads that don't push the CPU all that hard--which will include many games, even.  At stock speeds, the difference is that when you're doing something that pushes four cores pretty hard and need the extra performance, the 4670 and 4670K will clock higher and get you the extra performance.  If you're worried about heat output or your electric bill, this extra performance when it is needed won't make much of a difference, as most computers are essentially idle most of the time.

The reason to get a 4670S is if you're trying to cram it into a really small enclosure such that putting out 84 W for extended periods of time could cause overheating problems.  For an ordinary desktop, it's silly to buy it.

And then the 4670K gives you the option to overclock it if you want to, though you don't have to overclock it.  But that costs extra, so if you're certain that you'll never overclock, an ordinary Core i5-4670 makes sense.

Thank you all.

So I should just go for the 4670? The extra performance is worth it?

It's slightly cheaper than the S it seems.

I have no time to do any OC, the K is just to unlock it?

I changed it to the 4670 atm. It seems like a better choice then. Thanks so much.

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,351
    Originally posted by Waterlily

Thank you all.

So I should just go for the 4670? The extra performance is worth it?

It's slightly cheaper than the S it seems.

I have no time to do any OC, the K is just to unlock it?

I changed it to the 4670 atm. It seems like a better choice then. Thanks so much.

You can easily make a chip use more power or less just by clocking it higher or lower.  The same chip is also sold as a Core i7-4702MQ, for example, with a stock clock speed of 2.2 GHz and turbo only up to 3.2 GHz.  Intel does that so that they can cap power consumption at 37 W, which makes it suitable for laptops.  That's great when you need to fit it in a very small form factor, such as a laptop.  But dissipating 84 W in a desktop is not a big deal.

Don't get the idea that the chip is always going to be using 84 W, either.  Under an artificial stress test, it might.  At idle, the chip will clock way down and use a fraction of a watt, no matter what the normal clock speed on it is.

The K means that Intel has decided not to artificially disable overclocking, and they charge extra for that.  It's otherwise exactly the same chip as a non-K version.

Thanks Quizzical.
    I changed the mobo, it's about the same price, maybe 10 euro more expensive, but it has more reviews, a better chipset, more USB ports in the back, better LAN chip etc.

Changed my mobo, again lol, to a Gigabyte H87-HD3 over the Z87 chip. I'm not going to OC anyway and I think I'll have enough USB with the H87, 6 in the back and 4 in the front with the case, 10 should be enough instead of 12.

I think I'm happy with everything now.