Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

City of Heroes: The Phoenix Project - Spiritual Successor to City of Heroes

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Polygon has a great new article about The Phoenix Project by Missing World Media. MWM is a group of ex-players of CoH also announced that it will begin a KickStarter project on September 8th. The team has said that The Phoenix Project will become the 'spiritual successor' to the shuttered "City of Heroes".

Missing Worlds wants the look and feel of The Phoenix Project to be as close as possible to that of City of Heroes, but "with a more mature Avengers tone rather than that of a Saturday morning cartoon." Customization will be key, as players will be able to tailor their special powers as well as how those powers look visually. Costume-wise, Downes said the team is aiming for 20 different options for each avatar's 18 different areas as launch, with several different color options available for each costume piece as well.

Read more at Polygon and check out Missing World Media's site.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• mcrippinsmcrippins Member RarePosts: 1,626
    This should make quite a few people happy. Didn't read the full article, but I hope they release it in a fair amount of time. Years of development can really weigh on an older game for projects like this.
  • jimdandy26jimdandy26 Member Posts: 527

Seriously? How can this be anything but doa? Currently racking up debt (vounteers and engine) with a game that was already failing? And all of this assumes they do not cross a line and have NcSoft sue them into oblivion because of copyright.

I did battle with ignorance today, and ignorance won.

To exercise power costs effort and demands courage. That is why so many fail to assert rights to which they are perfectly entitled - because a right is a kind of power but they are too lazy or too cowardly to exercise it. The virtues which cloak these faults are called patience and forbearance.

• MarkusrindMarkusrind Member Posts: 359
    Originally posted by jimdandy26

Seriously? How can this be anything but doa? Currently racking up debt (vounteers and engine) with a game that was already failing? And all of this assumes they do not cross a line and have NcSoft sue them into oblivion because of copyright.

Quantify failing? Was still financially profitable when it was shut and that is what usually causes these things to close. So a team with reasonable expectations could keep it going and still earn a profit...win win if you ask me.

Also, you really think they would be doing this if there wasn't an agreement in place?

• skeaserskeaser Member RarePosts: 4,180

It's a new game similar to CoH by devs who were involved, just like how Hellgate came to be from Diablo devs. It's not even created yet, so it's not failing and just because it's a superhero MMO doesn't mean NCSoft owns it. All they have to do is use a different name.

Sig so that badges don't eat my posts.

• RattsRatts Member Posts: 48
    Originally posted by skeaser

It's a new game similar to CoH by devs who were involved, just like how Hellgate came to be from Diablo devs. It's not even created yet, so it's not failing and just because it's a superhero MMO doesn't mean NCSoft owns it. All they have to do is use a different name.

I wouldn't be surprised if NCSoft would be happy to license the CoH IP anyway.  Right now they have an asset that isn't doing anything for them, and they haven't voiced any intentions of using it.  Might as well make a few bucks selling/licensing it out.

• SirBalinSirBalin Member UncommonPosts: 1,300

I'd love to have a pvp based superhero mmo.  I'm not taking anything away from the pvers out there so don't worry, just saying I'd love to see one based on pvp.  Here's my dream

Think along the lines of apb but with superheros:

1.  Total open world (I know that's not abp)

2.  Villains get calls saying they need a robbery, or whatever...but make it something that takes more than one minute.  For example, go to the mall and jack the atm.  Once there get the money and then poison the air around the mall turning the other civilians into rats (something crazy).  Once completed, capture rats to bring back to HQ for testing.

3.  Meanwhile the superheros get a call saying that villains are up to no good.  Now the superhero shows up and try's to stop the madness.  Kill them or capture them.

4.  This would be one part of the game, maybe called the, "justice league"  :) 

5.  Second part of the game would be for the solo players that just want to be more like a spiderman stopping bad from happening or a Green Goblin just wanting total chaos and power for himself.

6.  For crafters in the game, they could hang at the headquarters making outfits, upgrades to gear, etc. 

That's a game I'd pay for.

Incognito
    www.incognito-gaming.us
    "You're either with us or against us"

• tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227

Looks interesting, if they can use what they learned from CoH but start from a fresh point without any legacy problems (something CoH suffered from) this could be a very interesting project. Looking forward to see the art-style. I hope they stay away from the route that Champions took. Never liked the look of that game.

Will deffo check out the Kickstarter

This have been a good conversation

• DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802

Taken from their homepage:

"Legally, no one can rebuild the exact game. No one except the legal owners of that IP."

Having quoted that I still have no doubt that NCSoft will sue them. They did that with the Tera devs and they won.

Still, I met a lot of people on the Venus Rising forums who told me how much they loved CoH's community, so I hope this project will be a success.

Harbinger of Fools
  • jimdandy26jimdandy26 Member Posts: 527
    Originally posted by Markusrind

Quantify failing? Was still financially profitable when it was shut and that is what usually causes these things to close. So a team with reasonable expectations could keep it going and still earn a profit...win win if you ask me.

Nope. It was shown that revenue was up, but I have not seen any proof of the game being actually profitable. The amount of support gathered was less than what was put forth in a similar bid by the Galaxies fanboy's when the Nge happened to get back pre cu/nge servers (which is sad because they had similar sized player bases at that point).

Also, you really think they would be doing this if there wasn't an agreement in place?

Yes. This sort of extremely small, extremely tightknit niche held together by dreams I easily see doing just that. Look at original CoH, flying under the radar until Marvel saw encroachment to copyright and then they were sued into oblivion till they settled out of court.

I did battle with ignorance today, and ignorance won.

To exercise power costs effort and demands courage. That is why so many fail to assert rights to which they are perfectly entitled - because a right is a kind of power but they are too lazy or too cowardly to exercise it. The virtues which cloak these faults are called patience and forbearance.

• IlayaIlaya Member UncommonPosts: 661
    Originally posted by Dakeru

They did that with the Tera devs and they won.

That was a complete different Story mate ;) Had nothing to do with the Game "Style / Name" that was more about "stolen code" and so forth. I dont think they will do so.

Originally posted by Ilaya

That was a complete different Story mate ;) Had nothing to do with the Game "Style / Name" that was more about "stolen code" and so forth. I dont think they will do so.

They had a dev team working on ideas for L3. That team left NC and created Tera instead.

In this case some members of the previous CoH team are now working on a new project that is meant to take after CoH.

Do you really think NC will not try to sue them?

Harbinger of Fools
  • IlayaIlaya Member UncommonPosts: 661

They had a dev team working on ideas for L3. That team left NC and created Tera instead.

In this case some members of the previous CoH team are now working on a new project that is meant to take after CoH.

Yap i do.

At least i rly hope that. Why you may ask.

I think NC has no interest in that anymore (COX). They let go even that it was somewhat self substaining, but on the other hand to much work Customer Support whise. It is an "very Old" Game tho.

Linage 3 was not. You see what i mean?

• Four0SixFour0Six Member UncommonPosts: 1,175

I may have to support this kickstarter. Which goes against my core belief system. But Yeah, I will check it out for sure.

As far as NC bringing a suit goes, we will have to see.

I think NC has no interest in that anymore (COX).

I never said NC has any interest in CoH. NC has interest in profit.

What could be easier and effortless profit than filing lawsuits against former workers who are "borrowing" ideas?

Harbinger of Fools
  • SilverbarrSilverbarr Member Posts: 306

It's the basic fact that unless code has been stolen - or some other illegal/unethical attempt at stealing work,  there is no chance NCSoft can even think of suing them.

"Regard your soldiers as your children, and they will follow you into the deepest valleys. Look on them as your own beloved sons, and they will stand by you even unto death!"
    - Sun Tzu, the Art of War

Support the Indie Developers - Kickstarter

• GishgeronGishgeron Member Posts: 1,287

I think NC has no interest in that anymore (COX).

I never said NC has any interest in CoH. NC has interest in profit.

What could be easier and effortless profit than filing lawsuits against former workers who are "borrowing" ideas?

They didn't sue over Champions.  That game had at least as much in common with CoX as this does.  DCUO does too.  The main difference is story and setting.  Which is all it really takes because you can't own the rights to an entire subset of gaming.  Else we'd all be paying out to nintendo for each super meat boy made.

• cmgangrelcmgangrel Member UncommonPosts: 152

I have seen a few people posting up here that this project has former Paragon Studio developers working on it.

I might be sticking my neck out a bit here, but unfortunately I have to actually say that this is incorrect.

There are no former Paragon Studio developers working on this project. Although I am unaware as to their exact structure right now, I do know (at least from what they have said in other articles scattered around the net), that they are instead 136 volunteers working on this project.

Now, I do have my own fears about this project, because this team *is* unproven in the industry, and as many of them are doing this *on top* of their "real world" work, i feel that when push comes to shove, they might just find out how hard it can be when it comes to crunch time.

I do wish them all the best, and I would like to be proven wrong and have them actually able to ship this product... the same goes for the other "spiritual successors" of City of Heroes out there (Valiance Online and Heroes & Villains), but I am wary about all the projects out there.

• adam_noxadam_nox Member UncommonPosts: 2,148

I too doubt there's any actual devs working on this. 

I wish ncsoft would have just sold it off to someone[mod edit]

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    Well NCSoft did not sue DC Universe or Marvel Heroes hence I doubt that this group has anything to worry about.  Long as they are not using code from City of Heroes, NCSoft has zip to complain about.
  • GinazGinaz Member RarePosts: 2,470
    From my understanding there are no former devs working on this, only former players. It sounds like a glorified emu crew. Give them money at your own peril. CoH is dead and gone and is never coming back. It's time for people to realize this.

Is a man not entitled to the herp of his derp?

Remember, I live in a world where juggalos and yugioh players are real things.

• WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,363
    good news :D
  • TheMagickDollTheMagickDoll Member Posts: 29

There is such a passionate fanbase for this game and ideas behind it, that such a thing as the phoenix project was bound to happen. And the people behind the phoenix project have been working on this since CoH game has gone down.  They are hard working and talented individuals.  CoH has one of the best gaming communities I had ever had the pleasure to be a part of and I, like many of us, we do not take this laying down.  Nay sayers and disbelievers say what they would like, but their is a fan base for a game like this that is untapped and unsupported by DCUO and CO.

The orignal team behind Paragon Studios was also unproven, but they turned out to be one of the best dev teams ever assembled. All great things start somewhere unexpected and I have no doubt that the phoenix team can the ashes and bring back the sort of game that we, as CoH players, love.

• JIUBHUNNY420JIUBHUNNY420 Member Posts: 131

Anychance we can get a forum on here to discuss the game on September 8th MMORPG.COM???

I forgot what the rules are for adding a game, but im pretty sure as long as they show some concept art we should be able to get a forum and getsome real discussion going on this project. 

Needless to say im stoked! COH was one of my favorite games growing up. Hell EVEN JOAQUIN PHOENIX PLAYED COH! (:30)

J-Hun Lookin to Creep Yall!

• AsamofAsamof Member UncommonPosts: 824
    It seems like every super ambitious kickstarter project has ended disastrously. Fund at your own caution.
  • BainSamrynBainSamryn Member UncommonPosts: 21
    I was a beta tester for this game and played it until it folded and let me say the fanbase will gladly welcome this attempt at something many of hte fans loved city of heroes . The game is being done by the members fo the staff of coh and i really hope this works out and it will .