Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

PVP?PVE? *Yawn* What ELSE do you want to see in an MMORPG?

ok - its an mmorpg - your probably going to get to kill anything/everything that moves...

and someone is prolly gonna ask you to kill 10 rats..

Housing/Decorating/Cosmetics seem to be becoming standard,

But what OTHER things would you like to see added or improved in MMORPG's ?

My GF and I are 'uncle owens' - we like to homestead, build a house, explore etc.  So we'd love:

1.) Terraforming - wurm was awesome for this (I think Arche Age is going to have this?)

2.) Construction - design/build your own free standing structures (not just 'pick a model' but actually design our own)

3.) Hobbies - Fishing, Playable musical instruments, 'sports' (the 'beer brawl' (hockey) in GW2 was fun...),

4.) Animal husbandry - breed/raise mounts, pets or whatever.  Sell/Trade animals with other players.

5/) 'meaningful' season/weather - animals migrate with seasons, certain materials only available in certain seasons, etc (Ryzom did this well)

What do YOU guys want ?

Comments

• JemcrystalJemcrystal Member UncommonPosts: 1,983
    I want to be an elf or vampire.  I want my wood elf to really have a diet of veggies and my vampire to really have a diet of human blood.  I want to create and decorate.  Then kill PvE mobs.  I want a Sims Slaughter MMORPG.  No levels.  No level zones.  No invisible walls.  I want flying mounts and ground mounts.  Big beautiful world.  Fantasy theme.  Realistic movements -  I want to use beds, fountains, the loo, sit down to a table to eat, have perishable food, and not be able to carry a fish unless I see a bag for it dangling from my belt.  Skills only.  No limit on the skills I can advance or learn.  Animal breeding and farms with realistic animations and expectations (cow-like needs milked every morning not whenever you feel like milking it).  Stables - no more summon the magic mount anywhere.  Fantasy mobs and pets - no chickens and pigs and instead chickapoos and pligleets that look more like they were contrived from Pokemon than planet Earth.  Crafting that's fun and sells good.  To many different things to do so you never grow bored.  No Open World PvP at all whatsoever unless they swear in blood never to nerf the ranger and at that keep all nerfing on your own servers and OFF OF MINE!  PvP Arena or Castle Wars okay all servers (no nerfing).  No nerfing.  No nerfing.  No nerfing.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

1. More instances & phasing for good story elements. Dress quests up better.

2. Get rid of servers, and use channels, or intelligent playing matching so there is no crowding.

3. Group with any one as long as they are online.

4. Build-in voice chat.

6. Instanced stealth gameplay

7. Smart phone access to character/AH

• ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361
    A sex life, and get a buff for it too.  Guilds would have a mass orgy before a raid.  But seriously, since people are throwing out all these ideas like taxes and family and such, why not a sex life?  Everyone needs it especially Humans, its good for health both physical and mental.
  • VelocinoxVelocinox Member UncommonPosts: 1,010
    It's obvious. The next big step in MMOs is EvP... The machines hack you and keep you offline so you can't play.

'Sandbox MMO' is a PTSD trigger word for anyone who has the experience to know that anonymous players invariably use a 'sandbox' in the same manner a housecat does.

When your head is stuck in the sand, your ass becomes the only recognizable part of you.

No game is more fun than the one you can't play, and no game is more boring than one which you've become familiar.

How to become a millionaire:
    Start with a billion dollars and make an MMO.

• NaughtyPNaughtyP Member UncommonPosts: 793
    A game I can pretty much get lost in. Not lost as in immersed (although that's important too), but actually lost because it's so huge. Exploration and all that...

Enter a whole new realm of challenge and adventure.

• TorcipTorcip Member UncommonPosts: 669
    I want to play in a world, not a game.  Make a world, give the players ways to screw others over and call it a day.
  • MaquiameMaquiame Member UncommonPosts: 1,073

pvp and pve that feeds off of each other. Soldiers (pvpers) who protect the people (pvers)

Purely into pve that is about fighting monsters- wonderful

Want to be an explorer (pver), hire a bunch of soldiers (pvpers) to protect you

Soldiers want the best gear, guess what if the blacksmith is killed by the enemy (rival pvpers from another kingdom) no armor for you, or at least crappier standard armor with nothing special about it.

Soldiers don't protect the famers, fisherman and miners, etc (pve- crafters) You don't eat

Want to multiclass? Wonderful, but guess what you will never be as good of a blacksmith as Smith Bessie over there who runs her own shop 24-7. Want to be able to fight as well as craft? Great but General Colossus who dedicates his life to fighting is better than you and always will be.

Soldiers (pvpers) clear the way to taking over neutral and rival lands so that pvers can move in set up cities and towns, mines and farms and clear monsters out of the regions.

Pvers non soldier types act like asses to the Soldiers? Soldiers leave and region gets invaded by rival pvp army from another region. Guess what your home has gotten annexed by a rival region. Switch sides, leave or die. Oh rival enemy soldiers are genocidal. Well, sucks for you pver- non solider. Should have been nicer to the Soldiers (pvpers) and you should have stopped cheating them when you sold them armor made of low quality materials.

Soldiers doing a piss poor job protecting the pvers? Well guess what, miners, farmers, builders, craftsmen have left the region and joined the enemy. Enemy resources boosted by 50 percent. Smith Bessie is now making armor for them because her crafter Husband got killed during an assassin raid by the enemy pvp group. Jackass Soldiers cared more about pure killing and not protecting. Enjoy eating mud pies as you try to fill in spots left vacant by the pvers. Also enjoy skill drops as you now have to multiclass and your fighting prowess is starting to slow down General Colossus. Oh and by the way General,, your rival Legionnaire Xaniorius is closing in on you as you are making your mud pies.

Next time be nicer to the civilians (pvers) asshole.

Any mmo worth its salt should be like a good prostitute when it comes to its game world- One hell of a faker, and a damn good shaker!

• rommellorommello Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 185
    if any1 has played cube world & sees how it generates a world based on any combination of random seed numbers

i want something like that with a few central hubs like in dot hack

hallo ~_~

• crack_foxcrack_fox Member UncommonPosts: 399
    A game that hides all the numbers.
  • IncomparableIncomparable Member UncommonPosts: 1,138

A game with a nice crafting system that is equal to any other item in game.

And a stock market system, that is also tied in with crafting, politics of the game, hiring npcs, buying alliances from npc factions, and/or pvp guilds.

The stock market would have all the complexities of a stock market. However, the stocks would be on real investment opportunities in game. An investment could be a military contract to move goods. You can use this information to try to steal the goods or defend your investment. Generally, live events in the persistent world affected by anyone are vonsidered small investments. Large investments would be physical locations, and the player can shape the company like a fortress in the anarchic world, and us scheduled to defend their company once a week for example.

Also there can be banks. And banks give different interest rates depending in how well their investments are doing. You can be part of the bank, take a loan and offer your bank a successful business which increases profit for everyone. Or you can see what an opposing bank in a enemy faction has and try to stop their investments. Its like capping zones to increase buffs/wealth but with an investment twist to it.

It could be a fantasy mmo, but the goal is to make as much money as possible, and the game will give you fun ways to spend that   money. Placing bounties, raising armies to shape the world and making even more money, and buying lavish houses etc.

edit: i realize that logically large and more secure banks normally offer lower rates than smaller less secure banks. However, keep in mind in this mmo its basically anarchy. So banks will continue to offer the best rates as they grow to attract more loyalty. Once they reach a certain size their returns on investments becomes fixed. However, this gives rise to new banks trying to grow in tough or even claimed territory with higher returns and lower interest rates for loans. ( loans can work in interesting ways. But ultimately its going to take your assets as collateral for huge loans, and failure to pay makes you an outlaw of the area the bank controls and unable to use their currency easily)

the problem with the new banks if they don't succeed, then the investor loses all their money, but potentially gets new area rewards and higher return on investments. They could also follow balance sheets to see how their investments are doing and if certain companies are going to go bankrupt to sell before they lose. Same applies to banks which follow slightly different rules when they print money and cause inflation. 

Which can also mean alliances with banks can include shared currencies. It also means another situation of understanding losses includes inflation and changes in the value of currency.

Players can even try to start their own banks or unions.

And there can be a rare resource like gold that is used as a back up currency and doesn't need banks. However, no growth but resistant to inflation, and buying power varies on supply and demand. The resource takes up physical space. It needsa house, or it can be buried as treasure. Which suggests people can terraform certain areas to hide treasure and put booby traps. This can be fun for the treasure hunter to navigate through player created content and puzzles. The puzzle and traps would follow certain restrictions some further unlocked by...money. So a small puzzle would cost less, and the costlier one would be longer, and with tougher traps. Since the treasure is meant to be someones savings it can be protected as an insurance policy, but also the more visitors to find treasure the more insurance they get on that treasure.

While this may sound like a lot of risk to lose a lot. Its not. Money will be easy to make, and fun to spend. These are alternatives that offer different gameplay with the reward of high profits. Since a person could play it safe by owning s company, and hiding their gold/rare resource their with their guild. Or store as much as they can in their house then look for alternatives.

“Write bad things that are done to you in sand, but write the good things that happen to you on a piece of marble”

• iixviiiixiixviiiix Member RarePosts: 2,256

I want to see more adventures in MMOs.

Game always end up become heavy grind and never end same instance raid , and they call it "true game start"

• uplink4242uplink4242 Member UncommonPosts: 258
    Originally posted by Torcip
    I want to play in a world, not a game.  Make a world, give the players ways to screw others over and call it a day.

Just saying, there's already a game like this. 

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,824
    The one consistent factor here is that players want more, the don't always want the same thing, but they do want more in a MMO. But with modern easymode F2P MMOs all we are getting is less. As they say, you only get what you pay for.
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

I want a guildcity with player owned stores, player owned crafting mat farms and so on. Something you build together with your guild or alliance and can socialize, shop and other things together.

And I want that town to be customized by the guild, not AoCs pick of a few specific towns.

• niiniichanniiniichan Member Posts: 15
    Originally posted by uplink4242
    Originally posted by Torcip

Just saying, there's already a game like this. 

Now I'm interested... care to share?

I would love to be in a virtual world where in you're not bound on killing monsters or players just to get exp..

People earn xp just by simply staying online or chatting or doing sumtin related to his/her profession with a little twist of hidden quests and stuff.

PvP's and Dungeon runs are limited but will give you a great deal of xp and items upon accomplishing.

For dungeons it will be more like a raid, wherein many player needs to participate to kill a bad ass boss. As for pvp, I guess it will be better if it will be more like an survival  - elimination match in a very wide map so anyone willing can participate and have a great time.

Graphics can be considered but I'm good with graphics like ROSE Online.

Play now! Sleep later...

• OfficialFlowOfficialFlow Member Posts: 111
    Originally posted by mech4221

ok - its an mmorpg - your probably going to get to kill anything/everything that moves...

My GF and I are 'uncle owens' - we like to homestead, build a house, explore etc.  So we'd love:

1.) Terraforming - wurm was awesome for this (I think Arche Age is going to have this?)

2.) Construction - design/build your own free standing structures (not just 'pick a model' but actually design our own)

3.) Hobbies - Fishing, Playable musical instruments, 'sports' (the 'beer brawl' (hockey) in GW2 was fun...),

4.) Animal husbandry - breed/raise mounts, pets or whatever.  Sell/Trade animals with other players.

5/) 'meaningful' season/weather - animals migrate with seasons, certain materials only available in certain seasons, etc (Ryzom did this well)

What do YOU guys want ?

i think you have the definition of PvE and PvP wrong

PvP = ANYTHING that involves competing or interaction against other players

PvE = ANYTHING that involves interaction with the game environment so fishing and building counts as PvE

where does the idea come from that it only involves fighting monsters or players?

edit*

and what comes to the actual topic, yeah sure you have the right idea what the MMORPG genre lacks but i have to disagree with the freeform house designing. picking a model and its colors is enough, if the interior design can be done freely

chores... if we can tame animals why would i bother breeding them? selling to others is not enough of a reason unless its just 1 class that can do it

terraforming limited to mines and other related areas i agree with, the world is full of as*holes i dont want to login and see that my house is surrounded by 1000 meters deep crater or barrigaded with lumber or other junk

• RydesonRydeson Member UncommonPosts: 3,852

I want more player made stories and abolish any pre-written ones.. When I first started playing RPG's using 2nd edition AD&D back in the day..  I and my friends MADE our own stories on the fly as we traveled thru a make believe world.. Almost 20 years later when EQ game out in 1999, it was a blessing.. It was a world with lore, but no preset story..

I AM THE STORY

That was the beauty of gaming in those days..  As I leveled, I created my own story.. I am a half elf druid... I am no preset hero played by thousands of others.. My destination was not predetermined.. I can guarantee you that my travels and course of action was unique and NOT repeated by any other druid.. If I was to write a biography about my character the odds of it being copied by another would be 3,985,824,968 to 1  LOL

This is what I want most in a MMORPG.. I want freedom to be myself, and create my own story.. NOT relive one already written by a dev.. 

• OfficialFlowOfficialFlow Member Posts: 111

I AM THE STORY

That was the beauty of gaming in those days..  As I leveled, I created my own story.. I am a half elf druid... I am no preset hero played by thousands of others.. My destination was not predetermined.. I can guarantee you that my travels and course of action was unique and NOT repeated by any other druid.. If I was to write a biography about my character the odds of it being copied by another would be 3,985,824,968 to 1  LOL

This is what I want most in a MMORPG.. I want freedom to be myself, and create my own story.. NOT relive one already written by a dev.. 

this too i agree with but for some people the open story line could be a bit overwhelming so there should be a linear story at first and the players could later deviate or abandon it when they find something else (Linear storylines within a global open story line) this way the linear ones are less important and those who dont want to do them can ignore them and focus on the open story line

some of the linear story lines would be class specific(if there is a class system) and still wouldnt guide the player to the end of the global open storyline.

if i were to put it in metaphors

global open storyline = huge jigsaw puzzle what the players are trying to do blindfolded while they dont know how big it is and where all the pieces are

and

Linear storylines = Would be like a sneak peak through the blindfold giving small hints about the puzzle (well dynamic events can achieve this as well)

Sense of direction is the most important thing for those indecisive players who dont know what to do  when there is "nothing" telling them what to do

• LoverNoFighterLoverNoFighter Member Posts: 294

What do YOU guys want ?

You should have played SWG pre cu. You'd love the choices in that game.

SWG pre cu style MMO.

• apocolusterapocoluster Member UncommonPosts: 1,326
    I just want a game to be fun

No matter how cynical you become, its never enough to keep up - Lily Tomlin

• deerstopdeerstop Member UncommonPosts: 31
    More Realm vs Realm wars.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

What do YOU guys want ?

You just described the game I want. 

I like the idea of playing a woodsman or some Grizzly Adams type character that goes into town once a week or so to sell his furs/meats and restock supplies. In UO, one of my characters was a fisherman/merchant that spent most of his time at sea and only went to town to restock or take part in town events (PK hunts, festivals, town meeting, etc)

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• mech4221mech4221 Member Posts: 33
    Originally posted by LoverNoFighter

Alas, we didn't get to SWG till after it had been 'ruined' - but I have to admit, even 'ruined' we really enjoyed it.

For us, it got a lot of things right - I loved the crafting, and the girlfriend really liked the housing.  The servers were basically empty when we got there, so we spent a lot of time just wandering around people's houses checking out the decorating and stuff.  We also really enjoyed the 'harvesting' - I think our approach was to find the most dangerous place we could, then decide to drop an extraction unit there :-P  Always made it fun to try and get back to them to empty the resources!

Wurm does a really good job with the crafting and homesteading - complete down to having to feed your animals and repair your fences.  But the graphics are really horrid :-(  Also, the girlfriend got really annoyed you can place a table in your house, but you can't put anything _on_ the table.  The terraforming in wurm is top notch - I was literally terracing the side of a mountain for farm land with an awesome lake view...

• LoverNoFighterLoverNoFighter Member Posts: 294
    Originally posted by LoverNoFighter

Alas, we didn't get to SWG till after it had been 'ruined' - but I have to admit, even 'ruined' we really enjoyed it.

For us, it got a lot of things right - I loved the crafting, and the girlfriend really liked the housing.  The servers were basically empty when we got there, so we spent a lot of time just wandering around people's houses checking out the decorating and stuff.  We also really enjoyed the 'harvesting' - I think our approach was to find the most dangerous place we could, then decide to drop an extraction unit there :-P  Always made it fun to try and get back to them to empty the resources!

Wurm does a really good job with the crafting and homesteading - complete down to having to feed your animals and repair your fences.  But the graphics are really horrid :-(  Also, the girlfriend got really annoyed you can place a table in your house, but you can't put anything _on_ the table.  The terraforming in wurm is top notch - I was literally terracing the side of a mountain for farm land with an awesome lake view...

You can still play SWG pre cu version. Google is your friend. ;-)

• mech4221mech4221 Member Posts: 33
    Originally posted by Loktofeit

You just described the game I want. 

I like the idea of playing a woodsman or some Grizzly Adams type character that goes into town once a week or so to sell his furs/meats and restock supplies. In UO, one of my characters was a fisherman/merchant that spent most of his time at sea and only went to town to restock or take part in town events (PK hunts, festivals, town meeting, etc)

if you don't require good graphics - you could give wurm a shot - that style is very doable in wurm.  They have pve only and pvp servers.  Fallen Earth (I think?) was another that was supposed to support that play style, but I heard they had problems like all of the trees being cut down.  I believe that was OW pvp only, though I might be mistaken.

You might like 'Salem: the crafting mmo' as well.  Again, graphics leave a lot to be desired.  It uses perma-death, which was a non-starter for us - we die too often from falling when playing king of the mountain :-)  We also have a perverse habit of running into areas we know are waaay to high for us (We ran our lvl 15 toons to forochel (lvl 45) in Lotro. )