Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Your advice for CPU Fan, RAM, and graphics card...

bbjason74bbjason74 Member Posts: 2

Hi everyone,

As of January 2013, using the information and suggestions I found in this forum, I built the following computer:

Case:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811139008

DVI cable:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812189047

Motherboard:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130644

Power supply:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151088

Processor:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116504

SSD: (admittedly, this is a small SSD and needs to be upgraded)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820211595

DVD:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827151256

Nine months later,  I am now going to invest in a CPU Fan, RAM, and a graphics card.

Advice would be appreciated.

In addition, if you have advice on any of the other components please offer any insight.

Thank you in advance,

-Jason

Comments

• lafaiellafaiel Member UncommonPosts: 93
    if you want a good cpu fan for a decent price, the hyper 212 evo is great, for bigger budget the noctua NHD 14 is top end. memory is dependant on your motherboard and what it supports, as for graphics cards, that deopends on your budget.
  • XthosXthos Member UncommonPosts: 2,739

People will need to know your budget, I have the evo 212, and it works nice, but it is a little big and was a little odd to get set up right, but built 2 with it, so if you got something like it, make sure it fits in that case.

Everyone seems to be sugegesting the GTX 770 I think it is now, for its value/performance, someone mentioned in another thread that a newer high end card was going to come out soon from the other side, which may result in a price drop on the 770, or a better value/performance....That is maybe 1-2 months away though I think.

So if the 770 and 212 fall within the budget, they are good choices.

• miguksarammiguksaram Member UncommonPosts: 835

While some of your parts are still valid today from the perspective of building a brand new system there are certain parts, mainly the MB and CPU, that honestly make little sense.  You have put together a system based on nearly 8 month old information which in the case of computer parts might as well be and eternity.  Please list your current budget and expected performance in it's intended area of use (gaming for example) and the majority of us here who offer advice will be more than willing to give further advice.

• SwoleSwole Member Posts: 5

This is my advice:

Processor, Ram, and Video Card are like the trinity of computers. If those 3 are good, then that's all you really need to spend a lot of money on. The rest of the computer can be cheap. But you do need a certain amount of power for all of that, and still be sure to have a good cooling system, and preferably a computer case with a lot of holes on multiple sides so it can breathe easily, etc. etc. so many things I could mention... you get the picture

Recommended:

Intel Core i7 3.5GHz+ w/ Turbo 4.2+ 

32 gigs Ram 

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 (2-4GB Ram)

Cheaper Recommended:

Intel Core i7 3.0GHz+ w/ Turbo ?+ 

16 gigs Ram 

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 580

• XthosXthos Member UncommonPosts: 2,739
    Originally posted by miguksaram

While some of your parts are still valid today from the perspective of building a brand new system there are certain parts, mainly the MB and CPU, that honestly make little sense.  You have put together a system based on nearly 8 month old information which in the case of computer parts might as well be and eternity.  Please list your current budget and expected performance in it's intended area of use (gaming for example) and the majority of us here who offer advice will be more than willing to give further advice.

I thought he was saying he already owned and bought the stuff he listed, I could be wrong, but that's how I read it.

• Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066

Depending on budget and your willingness to overclock, a Radeon 7950 or a 7970 might be better value for money than the geforce gtx 680 or geforce gtx 770.

No point getting a GTX 580 these days when a 7870 offers the same performance at stock (better when OC) with much lower power consumption.

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,347
    What video card, memory, and CPU heatsink/fan do you have now that you're looking to replace?  Presumably you have something if the computer runs.
  • ShadowzanonShadowzanon Member UncommonPosts: 350

Do not take advice from anyone who throws up in the air that you need more than 8 gigs of ram if you are building a gaming rig.  16 gigs is overkill and pointless. 32 gigs is a waste of money. Unless you are using grafic intense programs to work with where ram becomes important then there is absolutely /no/ point in buying excess ram at all.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OrrTkbyjDHk a good video that shows you how pointless having so much ram is in terms of gaming.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yG8HoewIO_s ram speed, is it really significant in gaming? you may be surprised at the results.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XdkLhMhnTa4 video card ram, do you need a card with lots of it.?

These videos can really make you save money after analizing them. spending more money on faster ram, which you can only take advantage if you oc your cpu.  and is the marginal boost really that benificial for gaming in general? Prob for other programs but /not/ for gaming.

I do hope this helps when it comes to ram. Do not let anyone fool you with buying so much of it when in reality if you are building a gaming rig  even 8gigs is overkill.

Originally posted by Swole

This is my advice:

Processor, Ram, and Video Card are like the trinity of computers. If those 3 are good, then that's all you really need to spend a lot of money on. The rest of the computer can be cheap. But you do need a certain amount of power for all of that, and still be sure to have a good cooling system, and preferably a computer case with a lot of holes on multiple sides so it can breathe easily, etc. etc. so many things I could mention... you get the picture

Recommended:

32 gigs Ram 

Cheaper Recommended:

16 gigs Ram 

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 580

You're recommending a processor that doesn't exist.  Neither of your video cards listed make any sense at all to buy today.  And there's no real need to get that much memory.

• bbjason74bbjason74 Member Posts: 2

Hi everyone,

Thank you for your advice and comments so far.

To my surprise, I am reading a lot of questions about what components I currently have,

and my budget for further items.

First, I thought I posted links to what pieces I currently have, i.e. motherboard, cpu, psu, etc. (please let me know if the links I provided are broken so I can fix them)

As to budget, well I hadn't really given that much thought... RAM isn't terribly expensive and I am considering 16 gb. (the best for my motherboard please) *advice*

As to a CPU fan, I like the suggestion one of the earlier posts had. I'm inclined to go with the:

CoolerMaster Hyper 212 EVO

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103099

Now, the graphics card...

...the best performance to cost ratio on the market. (maybe 2?)

Again, thank you in advance.

-Jason

• SwoleSwole Member Posts: 5
    Originally posted by Quizzical

This is my advice:

Recommended:

32 gigs Ram 

Cheaper Recommended:

16 gigs Ram 

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 580

You're recommending a processor that doesn't exist.  Neither of your video cards listed make any sense at all to buy today.  And there's no real need to get that much memory.

The processor I recommend is the one I own, so, I'm sorry you cannot find it online but it does exist and I am actively using it every single day. The video cards I listed make complete sense if ONLY you had asked "WHY" I recommended those. But since you didn't ask, I won't answer. As for the ram, there's an answer for that too, but you didn't ask; instead you just made a statement that there's no need for that memory, so I'll just have to politely disagree. Good day! Moving to a different thread. 

This is my advice:

Recommended:

32 gigs Ram 

Cheaper Recommended:

16 gigs Ram 

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 580

The processor I recommend is the one I own, so, I'm sorry you cannot find it online but it does exist and I am actively using it every single day. The video cards I listed make complete sense if ONLY you had asked "WHY" I recommended those. But since you didn't ask, I won't answer. As for the ram, there's an answer for that too, but you didn't ask; instead you just made a statement that there's no need for that memory, so I'll just have to politely disagree. Good day! Moving to a different thread. 

Intel has never released a Core i7 branded processor with turbo to 4 GHz or higher.  They have released a few Xeon branded processors that went that high, but not Core i7.  And I doubt that you have a Xeon for gaming.

I'll step back and say that there are good reasons to have 16 GB or 32 GB of memory.  Gaming just isn't one of them.

A GeForce GTX 680 makes no sense whatsoever to buy new, when you consider that a GTX 770 is both substantially faster and also cheaper.  The GTX 580, on the other hand, is long discontinued, so if you can even find a new one in stock, it will probably only be because it's at such a stupidly high price that no reasonable person would buy it.

Originally posted by bbjason74

Hi everyone,

To my surprise, I am reading a lot of questions about what components I currently have,

First, I thought I posted links to what pieces I currently have, i.e. motherboard, cpu, psu, etc. (please let me know if the links I provided are broken so I can fix them)

As to budget, well I hadn't really given that much thought... RAM isn't terribly expensive and I am considering 16 gb. (the best for my motherboard please) *advice*

As to a CPU fan, I like the suggestion one of the earlier posts had. I'm inclined to go with the:

-Jason

It matters tremendously what parts you're replacing, and you said nothing about those.  Parts that would be a worthy upgrade from, say, a GeForce 9800 GTX or a Radeon HD 4870 aren't worth buying if they're barely any better than what you already have.

• perrin82perrin82 Member UncommonPosts: 285

This is my advice:

Recommended:

32 gigs Ram 

Cheaper Recommended:

16 gigs Ram 

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 580

Intel has never released a Core i7 branded processor with turbo to 4 GHz or higher.  They have released a few Xeon branded processors that went that high, but not Core i7.  And I doubt that you have a Xeon for gaming.

I'll step back and say that there are good reasons to have 16 GB or 32 GB of memory.  Gaming just isn't one of them.

A GeForce GTX 680 makes no sense whatsoever to buy new, when you consider that a GTX 770 is both substantially faster and also cheaper.  The GTX 580, on the other hand, is long discontinued, so if you can even find a new one in stock, it will probably only be because it's at such a stupidly high price that no reasonable person would buy it.

My advice is to listen to Quiz. For four or 5 years I have been reading his posts and because of this I was able to build a great gaming computer for a great price.

• EvilMixEvilMix Member Posts: 251
    Originally posted by perrin82

This is my advice:

Recommended:

32 gigs Ram 

Cheaper Recommended:

16 gigs Ram 

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 580

My advice is to listen to Quiz. For four or 5 years I have been reading his posts and because of this I was able to build a great gaming computer for a great price.

Yep, listen to Quizz. Good luck :)

• miguksarammiguksaram Member UncommonPosts: 835
    I guess I misread your OP and thought you were putting together a build today based on those parts.  Given that is sounds like you are planning on upgrading the systems listed could you please list your current GPU.  It's important to know what you are upgrading from in order to offer advice that makes sense.  As far as bang for your buck is concerned the recently released GTX770 is pretty much it right now and comes in right around $400.  If you wanted to run two of those however you should consider upgrading your PSU to at least 750-850 watts (if you want to OC) 80 plus, similar to the one you have now.
  • SeariasSearias Member UncommonPosts: 743

This is my advice:

Recommended:

32 gigs Ram 

Cheaper Recommended:

16 gigs Ram 

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 580

I think this has to be one of the funniest advice I have ever seen, lol. I think you should learn a bit about your computer ( computers in general :P). an I7 @3.5ghz that does 4.2ghz with turbo boost? hehe.

<InvalidTag type="text/javascript" src="http://www.gamebreaker.tv/cce/e.js"></script><div class="cce_pane" content-slug="which-world-of-warcraft-villain-are-you" ctype="quiz" d="http://www.gamebreaker.tv"></div>;

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383

Originally posted by Searias

Originally posted by Swole This is my advice: Processor, Ram, and Video Card are like the trinity of computers. If those 3 are good, then that's all you really need to spend a lot of money on. The rest of the computer can be cheap. But you do need a certain amount of power for all of that, and still be sure to have a good cooling system, and preferably a computer case with a lot of holes on multiple sides so it can breathe easily, etc. etc. so many things I could mention... you get the picture   Recommended: Intel Core i7 3.5GHz+ w/ Turbo 4.2+  32 gigs Ram  NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 (2-4GB Ram)   Cheaper Recommended: Intel Core i7 3.0GHz+ w/ Turbo ?+  16 gigs Ram  NVIDIA GeForce GTX 580
    I think this has to be one of the funniest advice I have ever seen, lol. I think you should learn a bit about your computer ( computers in general :P). an I7 @3.5ghz that does 4.2ghz with turbo boost? hehe.

Kinda like saying you only need a good engine, a strong transmission, and fuzzy dice to have a fast car. It's true, in a sense, but that also implies that little things like tires and suspension and seat belts don't really matter that much.

Everyone has their opinions though - maybe Swole has made several good computers while going cheap on the little things. I know I did it enough times when I was first learning how to build them (and couldn't afford to pay much). Back then, we dumpster dived for most of our parts from the EE department of the local university.

Today, I cringe at some of the computers we built; thrown together in cardboard boxes, random wires hanging out all over, mismatched parts left and right. But they worked.

So in that regard, ok, I can understand Swole's advice.

But to someone who is trying to spend money, not make due with what they have scavanged: at least give good advice and let the buyer decide if they want to use it or not.

• syntax42syntax42 Member UncommonPosts: 1,378

I would like to give my approval for the Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo.  I just purchased and installed one over the weekend after doing a lot of research on air CPU coolers.  I considered noise levels, cooling effectiveness, and performance for the noise generated.  The Hyper 212 Evo isn't the quietest air cooler, but it isn't louder than most case fans or video card fans.  The performance isn't top-of-the-line, but that's because they don't have a 4000 RPM fan making excessive noise.  If you want a cooler that works well enough for overclocking and doesn't make significant noise, the Hyper 212 Evo is a good choice.  A $35 price tag also beats most aftermarket coolers in its performance class.

Your 60 GB SSD is small, but it can stay in your system if it has the OS.  I would just buy another SSD and start installing games on the new one.  If SMART monitors report a lot of failed blocks or the life of the SSD is starting to degrade, it would be better to migrate to a new SSD instead.

As far as installing more RAM goes, I would make that a low priority if you already have 8GB.  

• lafaiellafaiel Member UncommonPosts: 93
    Originally posted by bbjason74

Hi everyone,

-Jason

For ram , you could go with 1866 or 2133mhz ram, find the ones that support the lowest timings and cas latency in those respective speeds that you're willing to pay for and they should give you the best performance, G Skill has been pretty solid with thier offerings in the past few years with the Ripjaws and Trident X series.

As for the video cards, the 770 or 7970 are both solid cards, if you do anything outside of gaming like Photoshop and  such I hear the Nvidia is a little better for it.

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719

With respect to the CPU cooler, if you don't plan to Overclock or only so by a small amount, the Coolermaster will be just as good as my own personal preference, the Noctua NH D14... and about 1/3 of the cost.

To OC a bit more on air, I wouldn't trust anything other than my faithful Noctua. It compares well with even some of the self-contained water cooling solutions. It's very big though and one of its 2 fans can limit which RAM you can use--regular RAM is fine but some of the modules with extra tall upper heat sinks can be a challenge.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383

Originally posted by Iselin
    With respect to the CPU cooler, if you don't plan to Overclock or only so by a small amount, the Coolermaster will be just as good as my own personal preference, the Noctua NH D14... and about 1/3 of the cost.

To OC a bit more on air, I wouldn't trust anything other than my faithful Noctua. It compares well with even some of the self-contained water cooling solutions. It's very big though and one of its 2 fans can limit which RAM you can use--regular RAM is fine but some of the modules with extra tall upper heat sinks can be a challenge.

I agree with this. Any heat sink with a few heat pipes and vertical aluminum fins will do more than enough at stock and support mild to mid overclocks. I've often used $30 Coolermasters for this and they work great.

And I also agree if your going for ~big~ overclocks, bump up to either a bigger AIO waterloop (expensive, but quieter - double 120mm or the bigger 240mm style, not the least expensive single 120mm, which won't do any better cooling than a $30 air cooler) or something like a Noctua (which is an excellent air cooler).

And if you are going for extreme overclocking past that even, then you need to get into custom water or active cooling, and your looking well beyond what most people who play MMOs do.

• stevebombsquadstevebombsquad Member UncommonPosts: 884
    Originally posted by syntax42

I would like to give my approval for the Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo.  I just purchased and installed one over the weekend after doing a lot of research on air CPU coolers.  I considered noise levels, cooling effectiveness, and performance for the noise generated.  The Hyper 212 Evo isn't the quietest air cooler, but it isn't louder than most case fans or video card fans.  The performance isn't top-of-the-line, but that's because they don't have a 4000 RPM fan making excessive noise.  If you want a cooler that works well enough for overclocking and doesn't make significant noise, the Hyper 212 Evo is a good choice.  A $35 price tag also beats most aftermarket coolers in its performance class.

Your 60 GB SSD is small, but it can stay in your system if it has the OS.  I would just buy another SSD and start installing games on the new one.  If SMART monitors report a lot of failed blocks or the life of the SSD is starting to degrade, it would be better to migrate to a new SSD instead.

As far as installing more RAM goes, I would make that a low priority if you already have 8GB.  

This. It gives you the performance of a higher end cooler for a fraction of the price. In a lot of the tests it beat out some of the more expensive coolers. I did a lot of research before I bought mine. I have a FX6300 OC'd to 4.2 on it and it is completely stable. I have never had any issues with it.

James T. Kirk: All she's got isn't good enough! What else ya got?

• Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,389

I am wondering if swole meant this when he said an i7 3.5 ghz-4,2ghz

Intel® Core™ i7-3970X Processor Extreme Edition

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

• cnutempcnutemp Member UncommonPosts: 230

32 GB of ram

lol.

and there goes your credibility.

OP: get the highest hz i5 you can find on newegg and a 700 series card that fits your budget

I would personally hold off on the graphics card purchase for a bit though, the new 320 drivers from nvidia are flaky and they will probably need a few months to fix them ati is coming out with new cards soon as well so when they do nvidia's prices may drop, and if their drivers still suck you can always go ati.