Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

FFXIV: ARR is the MMORPG of this year

Comments

• QSatuQSatu Member UncommonPosts: 1,796

A small interesting chart:

I didn't add wow or gw2 b/c they are hight above the others in search numbers that all those 4 games are small lines at the bottom.

edit:

The last 3 months (I figured out how to put time ranges):

WoW is somewhere higher than these.

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    Originally posted by QSatu

A small interesting chart:

I didn't add wow or gw2 b/c they are hight above the others in search numbers that all those 4 games are small lines at the bottom.

edit:

The last 3 months (I figured out how to put time ranges):

WoW is somewhere higher than these.

Honestly, from the trends I've seen over the past five years, including games like DF:UW and SWTOR and even AA, FFXIV has a good chance of being one of those games that a very dedicated group of fans on forums seems to think will blow the lid off of the MMO genre, but ends up doing ok, maybe even respectably well, but is, at its current state, exactly as hyped as half a dozen other games that failed to blow the lid off of anything.  It happens all the time, and it's not a bad thing, but I don't see half as much excitement outside of these forums about the game.  GW2, WoW, and ESO are big names.  FFXIV should be too, considering its IP, but I'm guessing it will fall short of lid-blowing and have a medium sized group of players that enjoys it for years.  That's a good thing, considering.

• KaladinKaladin Member Posts: 468

I believe it will have a healthy population for the long term, and that it will still be a niche game.  I don't believe any game will get to WoW levels anymore as there is just too much competition these days.  But I feel that FF14 has an x-factor to it, and that is content.  It looks like there will always be a carrot in front of the player, and that it will be extremely difficult to run out of useful things to do.

Particularly crafting, obtaining the best materia, and raiding bosses that sound like they will be very difficult (based on the last letter from Yoshi and how they are testing top tier raids).

I am very excited for this one.

I can fly higher than an aeroplane.
    And I have the voice of a thousand hurricanes.
    Hurt - Wars

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979
    And don't forget housing and Frontier PvP! I just hope community is as solid as it was in CBT and as tight as FFXI community.
  • NagelRitterNagelRitter Member Posts: 607
    Originally posted by GeezerGamer

It's funny, I too, had stayed subbed to Rift, bought SL and quit. Too bad, that XPAC had so much potential, it just felt dead and I couldn't put my finger on why.

For me, the zone design of SL killed it for me. I hated the new questing format and carnages, and the zones themselves were bland and boring.

It also doesn't help that the game has very little decent-looking armor. I've been wearing the same set of mostly iron armor + tabard for like 30 levels straight...

But what people don't realize, Rift wasn't a bad game. Up until SL, it was a better WoW clone than WoW ittself.
    Well, I can't personally agree with that. I still find Vanilla WoW superior overall. Rift has a few things that are better but it fails as a whole.

Favorite MMO: Vanilla WoW
    Currently playing: GW2, EVE
    Excited for: Wildstar, maybe?

• SephrinxSephrinx Member UncommonPosts: 94
    Haha, yeah it's only the 'next big thing' because there isn't really anything else coming out this year. It's not going to be that good, and isn't deserving of "MMORPG of the Year" imo. It's honestly nothing special. It's a decent mmo from what I've played, seen and heard, but def not anything that great. It has a lot of work that needs to be done if it's going to hold the title of "best mmo of the year." Just my 2 cent.

imageimageimageimage

• tommygunzIItommygunzII Member Posts: 321
    It's already one of the best MMO's I've played period, and that was beta, so being the best this year will be easy.
  • Laughing-manLaughing-man Member RarePosts: 3,654
    Originally posted by Abrraham

You are right, I mistook you for someone else (partially), sorry :D I was reading something else on my mobile phone. Damn, I need more sleep. 

Well, I'd advise you to play it yourself or read better reviews before you judge something based on someone playing a short version not having a clue at all. All I can tell you: WildStar doesn't feel generic, I think almost all beta testers will agree upon this, but that shouldn't be the focus here. It's about ARR after all. 

Well the thread is "Is FFXIV better than everything else coming out this year"

So I mean the quality of Wildstar is part of the topic.  While I will try out Wildstar eventually my point in posting was that from reading reviews of BOTH of the mentioned products, most of the reviews I read about FFXIV are positive ones, while there are quite a few negative Wildstar reviews, as I am not in the Wildstar beta that is the only thing I can base my info off of.

I'm not saying wildstar won't be fun, or even a good game, it's just not what I was expecting, and from reading a lot of other posters on these forums, it's probably not what they are expecting either.

Thanks for reading.

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    What mmos have released so far this year?
  • spankybusspankybus Member UncommonPosts: 1,367
    Originally posted by Laughing-man
    Originally posted by twrule

Urg. I know this site is titled 'MMORPG.com', so all topics related to MMOs are allowed, but I don't understand the need for MMO gamers, especially on this site, to discuss how 'successful' games might be and other things in the business sphere.

It's one thing if we were to discuss how certain games feel populated or not (i.e. the gameplay side of things that is somewhat relevant to number of box sales/subs/general hype). But these sorts of threads are all too common and, especially on this site, tend to skip that sort of discussion altogether and devolve straight into a "Look, my favorite game is better than yours - more people play it" shouting match (especially since few people on this site bother to cite sources, usually not caring about that anyway) - not to say this thread will do the same...

How arbitrary and inane is it to care about what 'the next big thing' might be, even more so, the 'MMO of the year' anyway?

Just some passing thoughts...I only bothered to post because people on this site love to lament how no MMO captures their interest anymore, and those people, if they are also commonly engaged in discussion over topics like the one this thread is on - might want to reflect on whether their concern over such thing says something about their attitude toward these sorts of games generally...

While I might agree with your premise, you must take a step back and recognize you are essentially taking a long time to discuss why something isn't worth discussing because it's pointless.  That seems ironic.

Nice one! And a frequent event on these boards.

Frank 'Spankybus' Mignone
    www.spankybus.com
    -3d Artist & Compositor
    -Writer
    -Professional Amature

Honestly, it might be...but the combat is still missing something. I personally think what it needs is some of the elements of FFXI...individual limit breaks and the ability to chain them for bursts, etc. 

Lets face it, combat is slow. Its not action-oriented, so one would expect it to be more collaborative and tactical like FFXI....but its not that either. 

Right now, its not really either...its sort of in the middle...which i don't think is a good thing. They need to sort out that identity crisis before its GOTY material. Either make individual combat more interesting and involved or leave solo combat more straight-forward and make group-combat more involved.

Right now, it just feels like something i have to 'get through' to advance the current story.

To be clear, I do not want TERA combat...I want group cooperation to be more rewarding, more frequent and a bit more involved that a single skill that only one group member can use every so often.

www.spankybus.com
    -3d Artist & Compositor
    -Writer
    -Professional Amature

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    Originally posted by Mannish
    What mmos have released so far this year?

None that are even worthy of a nomination, let alone actually being GOTY.

So far, FFXIV:ARR and Wildstar are the only likely nominees.

Perhaps EQNext if they manage to pull off a November/December launch, which is not impossible considering the aggressive beta cycles of Planetside 2.

ArcheAge (if Trion ever finish the localization) will most likely be a non-event in the western market.

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    Originally posted by Torvaldr
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus
    Originally posted by Torvaldr
    I don't think so OP.  The next big splashes will be Wildstar, EQ:N, and ESO.  This game will end up sort of like Rift.  If they keep their p2p model then it could end up being the new gen p2p themepark people play.

Those are still beyound the Horizon, and will probably not make a 2013 release... Sure they might be aiming to, but whenever did an MMo make their announced releasedate?

Currently i am enjoying some AAA free to play games very much,  and i dont see me subbing and paying a full box price any time soon, the game is fun but not that fun, and i will wayt till it goes free to play despite having fun in the last weekend of the 3rd beta phase...

Unless the 4th beta phase improves the 3rd phase game by miles...

Yeah, I suppose if nothing else comes out this year then they might have it.  But then again how fair is that?  Release a flop spend a couple years fixing and adding to it and then get a do-over?  I still agree that if those others don't get released this year then this game will probably get the award.

Its not about fair... Its about smart, and personally i think its the smartest thing they could have done.

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• AbrrahamAbrraham Member Posts: 149
    Originally posted by Laughing-man
    Originally posted by Abrraham

You are right, I mistook you for someone else (partially), sorry :D I was reading something else on my mobile phone. Damn, I need more sleep. 

Well, I'd advise you to play it yourself or read better reviews before you judge something based on someone playing a short version not having a clue at all. All I can tell you: WildStar doesn't feel generic, I think almost all beta testers will agree upon this, but that shouldn't be the focus here. It's about ARR after all. 

Well the thread is "Is FFXIV better than everything else coming out this year"

So I mean the quality of Wildstar is part of the topic.  While I will try out Wildstar eventually my point in posting was that from reading reviews of BOTH of the mentioned products, most of the reviews I read about FFXIV are positive ones, while there are quite a few negative Wildstar reviews, as I am not in the Wildstar beta that is the only thing I can base my info off of.

I'm not saying wildstar won't be fun, or even a good game, it's just not what I was expecting, and from reading a lot of other posters on these forums, it's probably not what they are expecting either.

Thanks for reading.

To be honest, this seems to be the first review from someone talking negatively about WildStar. You said you have more? Where? By the way, after my research, your "10 minutes review" (intentionally exaggerating here)  is considered the FIRST negative article about WildStar (just google first negative impression wildstar). On the other side, I see more negative comments on ARR  here (mmorpg.com), from people who claim to have played it. I can't rate ARR that well because I only played for a weekend but it felt more generic than another game we're talking about. Of course I can't say anything about its endgame. 

WildStar devs never said that WildStar is a sandbox game, so I don't why you are expecting something else. It's a themepark with some fresh ideas and features you can consider being sandboxy to a small degree. All I'm saying that this game is not generic but this isn't a guarantee for becoming the most successful game.

• NagelRitterNagelRitter Member Posts: 607
    Originally posted by spankybus

Lets face it, combat is slow. Its not action-oriented, so one would expect it to be more collaborative and tactical like FFXI....but its not that either.

Is this that bad of a thing? I kinda like slower games because it gives me time to think. I don't know that by the time we get to raids we won't find the combat mercifully paced.

Favorite MMO: Vanilla WoW
    Currently playing: GW2, EVE
    Excited for: Wildstar, maybe?

• WicoaWicoa Member UncommonPosts: 1,637
    Nice observation OP. I agree.
  • simulacrasimulacra Member CommonPosts: 93

FFXIV ARR will definitely be MMO of the year. Here's why. 

There are MANY people who have played the beta (including me) who really enjoy the game. It's exceptionally polished, very fun to play, and looks exceedingly promising. Whether or not it will live up to the hype remains to be seen (*cough* GW2 *cough*), but there's not much competition. 

ESO gameplay looks quite bad. Here is a leaked video http://youtu.be/Wx65xjhy100?t=36m14s   -- does not look very fun at all honestly. I'm sure it will still sell because of the name, but I can see it fizzling out quickly.  

Wildstar has a lot of hype because it looks exactly like WoW in space, but I've spoken to people in beta and was told it's not that great. Plus it won't be out anytime soon as they have A LOT of work to do.  

EQnext. I'm curious to see what the August reveal will bring, but there's way too much hype about a game that we know next to nothing about. It's EQ and sandbox. That's all we know. Now people are saying it'll be MMO of the year when it hasn't even been revealed yet? The game will be F2P with a cash shop so clearly they will be targeting a very general audience. There won't be much Everquest in EQnext, and  I have a feeling it will be a huge disappointment. 

• ArskaaaArskaaa Member RarePosts: 1,265

yeah and only becouse no other mmorpg game tis year.

FF rebon dont give nothing new to market.

not open world, every class is limited use 1 weapon, only 2 healer class, game is very easy (most players doing dungeons just spam 1 or 2 ability),ur char can have all profs (tis kills economy), mobs dont drop nothing interesting, every zone look same; there is road and both side is quests mobs.

_______________________________________________________________________cliff

x            x             x            x   x  x                 x  x  x xx                         x      x                           x    x           x      x mobs

======================================================================= road

xxx           xx                        x              x              xx x               x x           x               x          x            x             

There is game zones.

• kabitoshinkabitoshin Member UncommonPosts: 854
    Originally posted by Arskaaa

yeah and only becouse no other mmorpg game tis year.

FF rebon dont give nothing new to market.

not open world, every class is limited use 1 weapon, only 2 healer class, game is very easy (most players doing dungeons just spam 1 or 2 ability),ur char can have all profs (tis kills economy), mobs dont drop nothing interesting, every zone look same; there is road and both side is quests mobs.

x            x             x            x   x  x                 x  x  x xx                         x      x                           x    x           x      x mobs

======================================================================= road

xxx           xx                        x              x              xx x               x x           x               x          x            x             

There is game zones.

Game is very easy eh? I see you have done all hard mode content, and explored the entire game world. You must be from the future!

• Princess.ClaudePrincess.Claude Member UncommonPosts: 65
    Take the worst game design from the last 10 years and put it into a single game = FFXIV. If the game manages just 50k subs for a month i'll be very surprised.
  • h0tNstilettosh0tNstilettos Member Posts: 25

@froggiestonemn:

I can tell you didn't even play the game. There's no way you played it to make a comment like that. There's a reason this game is being highly praised. By far one of the best MMOs of the past 10 years. Assuming you did play beta you must not of gotten very many levels in as the game piles on layers every 5-10 levels, and much more depth than your typical MMO. It starts very slow. I'm thinking you're a troll. I'm not saying that because you don't like it. I'm saying that because of exactly what you're saying. I don't even think the very few people that do have issues with the game would believe you've played it because you aren't even pointing out an issue, but rather saying absurdly over exaggerated things. That, or you're new to MMORPGs and FFXIV: ARR was your first. In that case you should avoid MMOs because if you try any of the others out there you'll see just how better ARR is compared to your average MMORPG. Then again, maybe you're getting FFXIV: A Realm Reborn mixed with the original FFXIV. Your words only make sense when referring to the original FFXIV. This is FFXIV: A Realm Reborn. A completely different game rebuilt from the ground up.

EDIT: This post was meant to be a quote to the poster above me, but I forgot to click quote instead of reply, lol. >.<

Originally posted by NagelRitter

Is this that bad of a thing? I kinda like slower games because it gives me time to think. I don't know that by the time we get to raids we won't find the combat mercifully paced.

If it was slower to give you time to coordinated chained attacked between you and your group mates, hell no, that'd be awesome. But it isn't slower to give you time to work the complex combat system...it isn't all that complex in its current form...it's just plain slower.

Gladiator fight: skill 1......ok, skill 2......waiting, ok skill 1 again.......need a heal, I'll use my conjurer skill for a change of pace.....ok skill 2. (20 minutes later) ok limit break is ready...who will use it? Once...and that's it, for another 20 minutes...

I'd rather have the following....

ok, everyone has full TP and their limit break is ready...middle of a fight..."ok, at, go with skill X.".....ok, archer, follow with skill Y...,boom, bonus effect lvl 1....healer closes with skill Z...BOOM....bonus effect lvl 2.....now, does anyone else have a limit ready? Maybe one more chain will get yal the mega flare burst! 

I am just pulling crap out of my butt as to what could happen with some of FFXI's combat features in FFXIV...not FASTER...just smarter.

www.spankybus.com
    -3d Artist & Compositor
    -Writer
    -Professional Amature

Originally posted by froggiestonemmo
    Take the worst game design from the last 10 years and put it into a single game = FFXIV. If the game manages just 50k subs for a month i'll be very surprised.

It's got well over a million people trying to get into beta. Your post is obsurd lol

www.spankybus.com
    -3d Artist & Compositor
    -Writer
    -Professional Amature

• lafaiellafaiel Member UncommonPosts: 93

Go ahead Froggie, tell how you really feel.

• XarusXarus Member Posts: 40

Originally posted by NagelRitter

If it was slower to give you time to coordinated chained attacked between you and your group mates, hell no, that'd be awesome. But it isn't slower to give you time to work the complex combat system...it isn't all that complex in its current form...it's just plain slower.

Gladiator fight: skill 1......ok, skill 2......waiting, ok skill 1 again.......need a heal, I'll use my conjurer skill for a change of pace.....ok skill 2. (20 minutes later) ok limit break is ready...who will use it? Once...and that's it, for another 20 minutes...

I'd rather have the following....

ok, everyone has full TP and their limit break is ready...middle of a fight..."ok, at, go with skill X.".....ok, archer, follow with skill Y...,boom, bonus effect lvl 1....healer closes with skill Z...BOOM....bonus effect lvl 2.....now, does anyone else have a limit ready? Maybe one more chain will get yal the mega flare burst! 

I am just pulling crap out of my butt as to what could happen with some of FFXI's combat features in FFXIV...not FASTER...just smarter.

@froggie

Final Fantasy XIV a Realm Reborn currently has a lot going for it,  Triple A production, a dedicated and caring producer, realistic expectations and an open market. Despite everything that is good there are a few aspects of ARR that have some gamers crying foul. Which aspects might I be referring to? the sub model for starters is a hot button topic seeing as most current MMOs are "F2P" or "B2P". There are several positive things about this game being sub based and very few (if any) Negatives.

Many players feel that all games especially mmos should be free of charge but what they do not realize is that "F2P" and "B2P" games cost much more to actually play than a sub based game. This is not an opinion it is a Fact. The "F2P and B2P" model caters to casual gamers who require immediate gratification and generally make up what is know as the "MMO Hopping" group of players. These players will play a game (Rift for example) for a month maybe two spend heavily in that time and then move on to the next game and do the same.  F2P games generally try to persuade you at every turn to spend a bit of money in their cash shops by not so subtly reminding you that it would be nice to have a bit of extra bag space or an item that would give you an advantage in PvP. Some of these games even sell tokens allowing you to reset daily missions to earn tokens/marks to get better gear. (Dcuo) 

This is not a bad business model it simply targets a select group of gamers and this is not the demographic that SE is looking to target with their game.  

Subscription based games that are successful generally have very high production value and a wealth of end game content as well as several expansions or add-ons that further add massive amounts of content which is generally developed using the subscribers fees. Also for the most part they do not lure you to cash shops to get things that are essential to your playing experience. WoW has a cash shop for Mounts and Companions but they are not required to actually play the game.(I do not like the idea of a sub based game with a cash shop that sells things that cannot be earned in the game through hard work as it defeats the purpose of actually subscribing to a game.) Another benefit to a sub based game is everyone having access to everything within the game earned through hard work. 

There are several people that boldy proclaim that "Sub models don't work and ARR must go F2P in order to be successful."  This could not be further from the truth. WoW the current Sub King is still sitting at a lofty (purported) 7+ million subs I just glanced at the world pop  and there are at this exact second 2.4 million people playing WoW  in some capacity.  Square enix only needs 400k subs for about a two year period to make this game a success. That is  a very modest number seeing as their 11 year old game (Final Fantasy XI) is still over 300k subs.(It was 270k before the new expansion  seekers released) The beta for Final Fantasy XIV A realm reborn is currently at 1,600,000+ applicants. Of course not all of them will buy the game and sub to it but 1/4th would be a safe assumption. 

I have played every current F2P MMO that there is and have been in the ARR beta test.  From my personal experience FFXIV ARR has higher production value than any game currently on the market, this is to include games that also started off as sub based games. (TOR,DCUO,TERA,RIFT)  The attention to detail put into this game is absolutely amazing and shows a level of care that is seldom seen in this genre. From the way light peeks through forest canopies to the actual visual cue for the protect spell taking place everything in this game exudes quality. 

So what is Final Fantasy XIV a Realm Reborn? 

At its core it is a final fantasy game, more so than any other SE game in quite some time and upon closer examination I feel as if they took the best parts of Final Fantasy Tactics, (PS1) Final Fantasy XI and borrowed heavily from what other MMOS got right and ignored what does not generally work.

Uninformed statements such as yours are the reason a lot of MMO gamers are not taken seriously at all.

@spanky I do agree with you about the combat in XI and XIV, XI's combat is not better but it feels more fleshed out at the moment. I will say I enjoyed the game much more while using a control pad which is a FIRST for an MMO the game seemed more intuitive  and fun using the controller to me.  Even though the game is set to go live on the 27th of next month I am sure several things will be addressed about the combat and how it works. In its present form only certain jobs really shine within the system Pugilist/Monk are really fun at the moment while Thurm/BLM seem kind of .... dull.