Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Finally, a game to obsess about...

LeirosLeiros Member UncommonPosts: 281

As a long time MMO player, it's been a while since I've found a game that I catch myself thinking about during the day or while I'm at work. After playing through Phase 3 of the FFXIV:ARR Beta I can't stop thinking about this game. It's quite refreshing to get that old school feeling of "I can't wait to play it again." I was just wondering, has anyone else had this feeling about this game? Perhaps catching yourself thinking about what type of character you're going to make when Phase 4 or the head start begin?

I've got to give credit to the devs. This game is so much better than the original FFXIV. I can't wait until I am able to spend my time in Eorzea without dreading a character wipe.

Comments

• NagelRitterNagelRitter Member Posts: 607

Well, I haven't gotten to play the game yet, but I am pretty hyped up at this point.

And I seriously have no clue who I want to make. -_- It's really going to depend on the character creator, I guess...

Favorite MMO: Vanilla WoW
    Currently playing: GW2, EVE
    Excited for: Wildstar, maybe?

• WellzyCWellzyC Member UncommonPosts: 599

An old school mmo with a current gen engine is what I have been begging for 'fer the last few years, I am very excited to sink my teeth into this game.

The way mmo's were: Community, Exploration, Character Development, Conquest.

The way mmo's are now : Cut-Scenes,Cut-Scenes, solo Questing, Cut-Scenes...

www.CeaselessGuild.com

• BrialynBrialyn Member Posts: 184
    I can't wait to play this game again! I think about it all the time and my friends and I are dying to get back in :D 

Currently Playing: FFXIV:ARR
    Looking Forward to: Wildstar
  • BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979
    Originally posted by WellzyC

An old school mmo with a current gen engine is what I have been begging for 'fer the last few years, I am very excited to sink my teeth into this game.

I think this statement speaks more truth than many similar attempts at rationalization I have seen on these forums.

FFXIV feels old school, but it also feels modern, it certainly looks modern, and it has some ideas and systems that would have been standards years back that make you think "why did we ever move away from this?"

• toddzetoddze Member UncommonPosts: 2,150
    Let me know how you feel after 90 days, The shinny new toy feeling is deceptive. Even for the vets.

Waiting for:EQ-Next, ArcheAge (not so much anymore)
    Now Playing: N/A
    Worst MMO: FFXIV
    Favorite MMO: FFXI

• SephirosoSephiroso Member RarePosts: 2,020

FFXIV isn't oldschool in the slightest. It's a modern albeit very polished modern mmo. Not oldschool at all.

You need only ask yourself 1 question to see if its oldschool. Can you level to cap within a week or two? There's your answer.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

• BattlerockBattlerock Member CommonPosts: 1,393
    Got my beta 4 key today ( jumps up and clicks heals together) I have not had a chance at the controls prior to this beta as well, watched alot of video, but now I finally get my crack at it.
  • etlaretlar Member UncommonPosts: 855

Im fussing too! :)  reading every post here, even just rants and speculation, as long as its ff14 lol. I found the game

very enjoyable, and whether or not its old school, it certainly has that feel (IMO)  aug 8-9 seems far away, and i really hope that in the letter the 8th he will say: go download and play from the 9th :)

• RupskulRupskul Member Posts: 71
    Originally posted by Sephiroso

FFXIV isn't oldschool in the slightest. It's a modern albeit very polished modern mmo. Not oldschool at all.

You need only ask yourself 1 question to see if its oldschool. Can you level to cap within a week or two? There's your answer.

I don't disagree with your comment about it being old school.  It's not and really "old school" is proably dead forever.  However, I do disagree with your comment about capping in a couple weeks.  Although technically true, you'd end up useless.  Just like getting a job in FFXI to 50 without a subjob would have been useless - actually you would have never gotten a party in FFXI after level 15 without a subjob ...

I posted this in a different thread, but this is why I disagree with you.

One thing I'll add about leveling up - you didnt' ask, but I think it's extremely imporant. You could probably level to 50 in a few weeks if you focused on one class and one class only. People will do it, but they will end up gimped and they will not be able to do the hard mode dungeons or bosses.

Just like FFXI had subjobs - and you had to have a subjob to be useful at all - in XIV, you can utilize skills from other classes. As a Pugilist, you can use skills from Lancer, Conjurer, etc. This will basically act as your subjob, but much more flexible. When you get into "Jobs" - the FFXIV equivilent to advanced jobs from XI - you have to have at least one other class advanced as well. So to be a Bard, you need Archer to 30 and Conjurer to 15 to do the Bard quest. Once you are a Bard, you have access to all archer skills, and a few Conjurer (ie, cure, protect, raise) and a few Lancer (the Slow skill and a couple more) automatically. Plus, you will be still able to choose more skills from any other job.

So leveling one class to 50 will be almost meaningless - maybe not as much as in FFXI, but pretty close. Pretty much all the non-casting DPS classes will need to level up all the classes. All the casters will level up all caster jobs. Hell, I'll level Conjuere for cure and Pugilist for Second Wind, no matter what my job - just to have it for solo fights.

So there will be those that go berserk to get to 50 first, but they'll not really have much when they get there. They'll still have to go back. That's good stuff and one of the only games that creates that kind of dynamic.

• rush1984rush1984 Member UncommonPosts: 369

you dont just level one class

• XthosXthos Member UncommonPosts: 2,739

When they have the open beta, I will check it out with my wife.  I have not looked into it too much, my main hopes are that I will like what I hear from EQNext (which I am ready to hear bad news, or good).

• Shana77Shana77 Member UncommonPosts: 290

Muds are old school. Modernization started when 3d graphics where being used.

Obviously there are different concepts of oldschool. There are different times and Era's. To me the Madonna, George Michael, Prince and Micheal Jackson era is old school. To my dad it's the Beatles and to my Granddad it's Frank Sinatra.  

Regardless of what you consider oldschool, the last few years we have seen a sudden shift on many areas in game design, like a move towards dynamic combat systems, dynamic quest systems and a rethinking of raids, dungeons and the traditional trinity dungeon models. Those games are what we now consider "modern", Final Fantasy seems to be going against that trend (largely because the game is actually not a new game but rather a remake from that older era). 

Fast levelling is a concept that supersedes the era of modern MMO's. Its a condept that is now easily 8 years old, introduced with Guild Wars, EQ2 and Warcraft, back in 2005. That's 8 years ago, perhaps not a long time in the lifetime of my granddad, but an Eon in the history of the MMO. 

So yeah I'd say Final Fantasy 14 feels old school. Though obviously not as old school as MUDS, or playing Pac Man in an Arcade.  

• RupskulRupskul Member Posts: 71
    Originally posted by Xthos

When they have the open beta, I will check it out with my wife.  I have not looked into it too much, my main hopes are that I will like what I hear from EQNext (which I am ready to hear bad news, or good).

I think it's going to be a long while before EQN is launched.  Unless they've been developing this game for years in complete secret - almost impossible these days - they are nowhere near ready to launch a brand new game.

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916

I played a SWTOR beta weekend and quit after the first hour and a half, and uninstalled. That was on Saturday morning.

I played FFXIV:ARR beta 3 and was horrified when the weekend ended so soon.

Beta 4 can't come soon enough :)

• Shana77Shana77 Member UncommonPosts: 290
    Originally posted by Rupskul
    Originally posted by Xthos

I think it's going to be a long while before EQN is launched.  Unless they've been developing this game for years in complete secret - almost impossible these days - they are nowhere near ready to launch a brand new game.

Actually, that is exactly what people including SOE themselves are claiming about EQNext, that is has been developed for years in secret (the so-called black box). There are some hints that this may actually happen:

SOE's sudden reveal of Planetside 2. The game which runs on the same engine as EQNext was fully revealed at the end of march and saw its beta start 4 months later. We are used to games launching years after their reveal but SOE followed a very different strategy with PS2 and it seems they are doing the same with EQNext. 

Furthermore SOE Smedley indicated that players would be playing a version of EQNext before the end of the year and that he "doesn't mean beta". This little hint is what has much of the EQNext community speculating that the game is already nearly done. 

We will know more next week when the big reveal for EQNext is on. 

• RaxeonRaxeon Member UncommonPosts: 2,283

wait until you run out of quest and get to end game

• tommygunzIItommygunzII Member Posts: 321

I can't recall a game I've wanted to play so badly. GTAV looks awesome but all I think about is FFXIV. While playing the beta it would put me in a trance like the old Power Rangers used to image

• reploidxreploidx Member UncommonPosts: 320
    I'm actually excited about this as well. I haven't been excited for an MMO in a LONG time (since EQ1 came out)
  • ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361
    Originally posted by Raxeon

wait until you run out of quest and get to end game

There are tons to do at end game and the first content patch will be out before anyone even finishes what there already is for end game.  And then there will be housing too in that first content patch I think.

• MithrandolirMithrandolir Member UncommonPosts: 1,701

I'm one of the lucky ones... I played the game quite a bit in beta and am head over heels for it. Just a couple more weeks and hopefully we'll be in open beta. I am missing this one badly!

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    I'm pretty pumped but not really excited about the end game gear grind. Hoping I find a decent RP community and some other things to do like housing. The FATES seem promising as a way to play with friends a little more interestingly than just running the same dungeons over and over and over.

• KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,030
    Originally posted by Fendel84M
    I'm pretty pumped but not really excited about the end game gear grind. Hoping I find a decent RP community and some other things to do like housing. The FATES seem promising as a way to play with friends a little more interestingly than just running the same dungeons over and over and over.

I think you and I are of like mind in this regard.

Although people really knocked ffxi hard for a lot of reasons.....one of the things i thought was awesome was the way they handled drops/gear.

You could do missions in CoP to get pieces of gear that (although they were level 30) were relevant even at endgame!  Granted by the time you get there there was usually a replacement piece that was better...but having a few pieces of super awesome gear spread throughout lowbie content that actually retains its usage for a long time was one of my favorite things about the game.  

Not only is it great to have a piece of gear that you can use for a good long while....you also get that feeling of almost similar level to lets say obtaining a relic, that (Omg yes!) feeling is quite awesome.  But it's also an incentive for those who have already cleared such missions and such to go back and participate with people who have not.

Im actually curious to see if anyone has an opposing thought, and why.

• ChocobroChocobro Member Posts: 64

Yep, same feeling as well

One thing i'm looking forward to try in phase 4 is the PVP arena since it's going to be separate from PVE and not affect it when balancing needs to be done (which is Fanf**kingtastic). With Yoshi-P being a big PVP player i'm hoping they can make this one area of the game that will keep me coming back for more. Also that arena armour looks better than some of the PvE artifact armour lol.

• Shoko_LiedShoko_Lied Member UncommonPosts: 2,193
    I'm excited that phase 4 characters won't be wiped from what I hear. That and I don't have to purchase the game and I think I get a month free because I bought FFXIV CE and subbed to it when it first released.
  • KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,030
    Originally posted by denshing
    I'm excited that phase 4 characters won't be wiped from what I hear. That and I don't have to purchase the game and I think I get a month free because I bought FFXIV CE and subbed to it when it first released.

All of that is correct, with one caveat.  Beta 4 character data will not be wiped going into early release/release UNLESS they deem it necessary.  Most people have eluded to that meaning that unless there's a serious bug or something that they won't do a wipe.  Personally Im just going to take it at face value, meaning they could decide anything is grounds for wiping it...depends on what it is and what their priority will be.