Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] Warhammer 40.000: Eternal Crusade: Speculating on the Orks

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

In our latest Warhammer University class, we offer some thoughts about the Orks and how important getting them right will be to the success of Warhammer 40,000: Eternal Crusade. See why we think it's so crucial before leaving your thoughts in the comments.

Eternal Crusade continued their updates last week with some announcements about the factions and more importantly the Space Marine Chapters that will be playable. I was very excited to finally see Space Wolves as an option. But before we drill down into the faction breakdowns and what units or classes will be available, I wanted to talk about Orks. So far all we know about Orks in Eternal Crusade is that the Boyz will be free-to-play and their will be a Nob upgrade pack. So let's go through what we know and take a look at how the team at Behaviour can make Orks as much fun as they are on the tabletop. 

Read more of Garrett Fuller's Warhammer 40,000: Eternal Crusade - Getting Orks Right.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• syltmackasyltmacka Member UncommonPosts: 404

i was like woop ! then i saw its a fps mmo. wtf?

anyways, good luck witht he game, whens the release? 2014?

• garrettgarrett MMORPG.COM Staff UncommonPosts: 284

Its not just FPS. there is full melee combat as well. 

:p 
  • KhalathwyrKhalathwyr Member UncommonPosts: 3,133

How can you have a Space Ork article and not mention Burna Boyz? Or Killa Kans?

If you do play the TT game and play Orks I'd certainly love to see the list you are running currently.

"Many nights, my friend... Many nights I've put a blade to your throat while you were sleeping. Glad I never killed you, Steve. You're alright..."

Chavez y Chavez

• onlinenow25onlinenow25 Member UncommonPosts: 305
    Originally posted by garrett

Its not just FPS. there is full melee combat as well. 

How do you have "Full Melee" Combat with FPS style gameplay?  Similar the Chivalry or Natural Selection?  You can't have fluid "Full Melee" Combat in a FPS.  In both games i mentioned they are clunky as hell yet still enjoyable.  To base a MMO around clunky combat would not work out well.

Very few games have achieved fluid melee combat with out having the player be slightly stuck in place while attacking.  The reason being is because not having proper footing on the ground while hitting someone with an axe or hammer looks strange.  Have you ever tried running and swinging a sledge hammer?  Ya I bet you haven't and there is a reason for that you need to be balanced or your going to fall flat on your face. 

• MadDemon64MadDemon64 Member UncommonPosts: 1,102
    WWWWWAAAAAAAAAAAAAUUUUUUUGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Since when is Tuesday a direction?

• dinamsdinams Member Posts: 1,362
    dude, it is not a fps, it is a tps, get your facts right

"It has potential"
    -Second most used phrase on existence
    "It sucks"
    -Most used phrase on existence

• irpugbossirpugboss Member UncommonPosts: 427
    Have they confirmed its an FPS and not a TPS with melee like Space Marine?

• dinamsdinams Member Posts: 1,362

Meh that's why I hate posting on my phone

Afaik it is a TPS

Even if it was an FPS its not hard  to make melee right on a fps, just transition it to third person when meleeing or choosing a melee weapon , see, not hard and not clunky

"It has potential"
    -Second most used phrase on existence
    "It sucks"
    -Most used phrase on existence

Yeah anything is possible, I was just wondering if they settled on the perspective. I think I would prefer FPS because TPS lets people corner camp and peek around cover while behind cover.

My guess though is it will be TPS as well, path of least resistance.

• orbitxoorbitxo Member RarePosts: 1,956
    Originally posted by krage
    Have they confirmed its an FPS and not a TPS with melee like Space Marine?

ITS 3RD PERSON SHOOTER LIKE THQ  SPACE MARINES.

you can also FPS and mele combat,. your choice.

• BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565
    Yes, it's a TPS, not an FPS.  Over-the-shoulder like Space Marine.  In fact, SM is the bar they're looking to hit for combat controls.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• MumboJumboMumboJumbo Member UncommonPosts: 3,219
    Can't wait to mow down some green, F2P scum!

I am totally ok with that, imo Space Marines biggest killer was the Peer 2 Peer Multiplayer, as a 40k game the single player campaign was alot of fun while keeping a great 40k ambiance.

So if this is what they will emulate I am all for it! The weight of combat and aesthetics were great :)

• thegreatestagainthegreatestagain Member Posts: 35
    always liked third person games especially on console, my concern is too much orks is a bad thing, theyre ok for occasional opponents in tabletop but IMO space marines biggest weakness was too much comic relief orcs, parts were cool but too much PG ork got a bit repetitive
  • miguelcaronmiguelcaron Studio Head - BehaviourMember UncommonPosts: 70

Dear fans, Your game is simple: THERE IS ONLY WAR.

IT IS NOT AN FPS

Its a full Combat game with Shooting, Melee, healing, execution (when you are hurt, unmoving on the ground waiting for a very slow friend of yours to heal you) ;-)

Think the combat from The Space Marine Game on console or DarkSoul or even Gears of War..... but better, massive and in the 40K Universe.

Your game WILL NOT BE CARTOONE!! It will be Dark, Grim, Mature and Epic, the way anything should be in the 40K Lore.

THERE IS ONLY WAR

Miguel Caron

Studio Head Behaviour Online 

Studio Head of Behaviour Entertainment on WAR40K: Eternal Crusade

• miguelcaronmiguelcaron Studio Head - BehaviourMember UncommonPosts: 70

BTW, dear Fans, if you want to help us in Close BETA to make the combat EPIC, please go optin for Eternal Crusade here: www.eternalcrusade.com

Regards

Miguel Caron

Studio Head Behaviour Online

Studio Head of Behaviour Entertainment on WAR40K: Eternal Crusade

• ShadinShadin Member CommonPosts: 294

"Here is the issue with shooting, how do you hinder a physical player’s ability to shoot?"

You don't. You just tweak the actual weapons (as the Orks will use their own weapons). Worse accuracy, more recoil and/or a larger cone of fire/bullet spread should suffice to make the Ork Nobz sufficiently horrible at shooting people in the face.

• LaterisLateris Member UncommonPosts: 1,831
    So is the game a open world or a lobby? Either way I am in. 
  • SavijSavij Member Posts: 341

orks will need lots of hord features

like this for example:

"a hord of 100 orks are heading to a fortress of spacemarines but before they start the charge they pumping up their rage! the nobs start to hammer their weapons against their armor and start a warcry that gets louder and louder, orkboys around them join them and form a big loud mob of orks(te more te betta!) after they finished they get a big chargebonus in form of an movementspeed buff and damage reduction while charging"

this way they would have a good chance to take the fortress in a single charge

be always up to date about Eternal Crusade
    WH40k:EC dev Tracker

Other EC Sites i'm in:
    Dakkadakka Savij
    Reddit EC Savij1337
    EternalCrusader.com Savij

• Chivalry1978Chivalry1978 Member Posts: 184

You know when I first heard there was going to be a 40k mmo I was like thank god..Then I saw dark Millenium and said wow with a 40k skin...LAME....Then I heard about this while trying to push some gw people i know in green lighting a battle fleet gothic tact combat mmo. 

Orkz are by far one of the most under rated, and biggest pains in the Arse to play against in 40k. As a marine player, you just dont have enough plasma cannons, assault cannons, and heavy bolters to thin them out effectively, And god help you if they break your lines with chopa's. Your blessed armor becomes a blessed mess. However this is not to say Marines cant hold their own, but when your look at a the sheer numbers in many table top battles Orkz will out number space marines over 2 to 1 and still field alot of vehicles that will hurt alot. Luckly Orkz are pretty stupid.

No Orkz may suck at shooting, and may not be able to go 1v1 with a marine to often, Less its a Nob. But those weaknesses are name up for by their numbers...Now how will they translate that in this game...Simple...bouncing aim sights...Now I doubt this game is going to be as single shot as it is in the table top so figure some pretty bad recoil as well as jumpy aim sights could easily make them less then on par with Space marines.

Now if the combat system is what im thinking its going to be...Space marine with some tweaks, then I am glad that my Necrons were not introduced. Much of this game is going to be done in the up close and personal thanks to the ORKZ. Necrons would never fair well in this. Though Destroyers moving at high speed with cannon fire might rebalance my thinking.  

What Is really going to make a difference in this game how damage is equalted and will level modify this in any way. In 4k very thing has a toughness value as well armor save. Basice Space marines have a toughness of 4 and  armor of 3+ what this means is that if your weapon say a bolter is a str 4 weapon you need a 4 to even cause a wound thats 50% chance and even then there is a 66% chance your armor will protect you. Btw a bolter has almost the same stats as a Shoota with one small but huge difference...AP...ork shoota has a ap of 6 vs the bolters of 5. So now lets take an 30 orkz vs 10 spac mariens let say for argument sake they are at 12 inches from each other. Orkz will get 60 shots with about 33% of them hitting. so thats 20 hits now 50% of those will wound so 10 leaving the marines needing a 3 or better to negate so thats about 3 dead marines. IN THEORY. Now lets roll back and let the marines shoot shall we. they get 20 shots 10 hit and 5 wound and kill. Now in this first round of shooting marines have an advantage. However due to Numbers this advantage will drop greatly. However this is just dice and board theory. In this game who knows how they are going to play it. Personally I think your gonna see alot of Slugga Boys with Choppas just rushing every marine and leaving them a bloody mess...

Now about fluid melee and shooting combat. On a computer this is going to be a tad hard to master. On a console however things would become so much simpler. But this will also be  a 3rd person view game. Most likely what your going to see is some mechanic that while in a melee combat the defense value from range combat will increase as to keep the range and melee separate. They will also have to allow into this game friendly fire as to prevent the nut job with a burna running up to a mass melee fight and just having bbq. 

Where I think the Orkz will really get a boost is from upgrades to weapons...Kustom upgrades alone could cause any ork Player to hit harder then their sm counter part....All in all when you take the good and the Bad Orkz seem to balance out well against the Sm, chaos, and eldar...Tyrannids on the other hand Thats going to be another story all together....

Eventually They will have to add more races to play in order to sustain a profit margin. If I had to bet money I would Say Tau and dark Eldar. Necrons would just cause way to many issues for them.

• NonderyonNonderyon Member UncommonPosts: 189
    accuracy is not an issue, when they made ork weapons with big bullet spread
  • Four0SixFour0Six Member UncommonPosts: 1,175

I just see DOOOM here.

But I see DOOOM for everything GW.

• kinkyJalepenokinkyJalepeno Member UncommonPosts: 1,044

End of 2015 according to the website...

Someone wake me up when its close enough to think about..

• StMichaelStMichael Member Posts: 183
    Originally posted by thegreatestagain
    always liked third person games especially on console, my concern is too much orks is a bad thing, theyre ok for occasional opponents in tabletop but IMO space marines biggest weakness was too much comic relief orcs, parts were cool but too much PG ork got a bit repetitive

OI! DID DIS GIT JUST SAY YA CAN 'AVE TOO MUCH ORKZ!? BRING OUT DA DAKKA BOYZ, WE'Z GOIN' STOMPIN!

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGHHHHH!

• EhliyaEhliya Member UncommonPosts: 223
    Whad bout th' GROTZ!