Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hoping for the best with ESO but feeling a bit concerned

Let me preface this by saying I love the whole ES series, their games and the whole freedom of exploration they offer. I really really want ESO to be the kind of MMO that it can be. I am however a little concerned with what appears to be the direction it's being taken by Zenimax Online. It feels like it's appealing to the lowest common denominator from the video's and the information I've read.

I'm completely baffled why MMO aftter MMO after MMO tries the same formula over and over and over with fail after fail after fail. Warhammer, Rift, SWTOR, DCUO, Neverwinter, etc etc. That being the dumbing down of just about everything, so that nobody is special, nobody is different, loot is just handed out like candy so you can get to the next dungeon to get loot for the next dungeon, PvP only in areas we allow you PvP(i.e Cyrodil).

At essence at end game a glorified lobby system where you log in and wait for your Q to pop. PvP in designated areas is a fail, look at guild wars WvW.  A good IP will NOT save any game either, just ask Bioware. Starwars is as big an IP as it gets and that game crashed hard and fast.

I'm not sure ESO is going to have all these negatives, nobody knows but we do know from their own videos:

1. PvP is limited to Cyrodil ONLY (i.e Guild Wars style). We wouldn't want you to have any kind of worries about getting PC killed while leveling now do we?

2. Your not allowed to leave your designated faction area and explore the rest of the world until we say so. Doesn't seem like that would go over well with hardcore ES fans.

3. When  you do leave you pick 1 other faction territory then when there you ONLY see your own faction members. What is the point of this? It doesn't seem immersive at all.

Anyway it's quite a while til launch and I'm hoping the game will be the MMO brings back a challenge and immersion to the genre. This video conveys a similar view and he say's it's likely nobody from Zenimax will watch this video but who knows maybe someone will:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pp_kdFjm-EU&t=23m50s

Comments

• EvilMixEvilMix Member Posts: 251
    Haven't done a lot of research on the game, but I'm definitely concerned as should everybody else following the game. Even if it is complete trash, the negativity following this game compared to SWTOR is day and night. Meaning if it does suck, I'm guessing it will still do "okay", especially after how well Skyrim did.
  • BjelarBjelar Member UncommonPosts: 398

I'm pretty sure you can level in Cyrodiil if you wish?

Why would it make the game better to remove other people's option to level somewhere else?

• LorgarnLorgarn Member UncommonPosts: 417

I totally agree with OP. Good post.

I also am a big ES fan but I can't seem to get excited over TESO anymore. The restrictions just puts me off too much.

Limit PvP into one specific area is so stupid, I hated that with GW2. I want the risk, the excitement that comes with leveling in a game that has PvP. It's even more exciting to level in WoW, and that says quite a lot.

Yes, restricting you to your factionarea doesn't make sense from a ES point of view, IMO. Imagine if they would remove these two restrictions mentioned above, hosting a little PvP-raid into an enemy factionarea would be amazingly fun.

All these restrictions are immersionbreakers for me, especially when it's a ES game where it always has been; If you want to do it, do it.

• Brabbit1987Brabbit1987 Member UncommonPosts: 782

To be honest, I am not concerned.  The reason why is because I have heard people complain about the PVP included only in 1 area, despite that area being massive. I mean the world is huge, it's a war zone there, so it makes perfect sense to me. Why would people of their own faction kill each other?

I, myself, am against open pvp in the entire world, because it's immersion breaking.

Now I also have heard the other side of the coin. I have heard people complain it shouldn't have PVP at all. Though I never understood this point of view to be honest. Point being though, one persons concerns may not be a concern to another.

I noticed this has been the case with a lot of things. Some people love it, and clearly some people hate it. The reason for this is because the game isn't going to be for everyone. No game can be for everyone. That just isn't possible. 

As for not being able to leave your faction area, I am sure it makes sense toward the story of the game, so that isn't a concern to me. In plus again, the world is massive. I don't even think it would make all that big a difference even if they did allow you to just walk right in. Course this itself has never been a concern. To me this doesn't make or break a game, and I really don't think it should for anyone. Sure you can dislike it, but I don't think a little feature like this should make you bitter about the rest of the game.

Now only seeing the people in your faction when you are in another area, does seem a bit odd, but I wont a little thing like that spoil the whole game.

Either way, I have seen enough leaked videos to get an idea that the game looks actually fairly darn good, at least to me. Heck a lot of peoples concerns are not even legitimate.

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

I hate to say it, but this game is gonna flop. Console and PC gamers both know what to expect from an elder scrolls game. We are still blown away by the epicness of Skyrim. People are going to expect an elder scrolls mmo to be nothing less than Skyrim online. There will be a lot of backlash when this game launches.

Originally posted by Foomerang

I hate to say it, but this game is gonna flop. Console and PC gamers both know what to expect from an elder scrolls game. We are still blown away by the epicness of Skyrim. People are going to expect an elder scrolls mmo to be nothing less than Skyrim online. There will be a lot of backlash when this game launches.

That is nothing but speculation. While you might be right, you can't state it as if it's some kind of fact, because it isn't. It really depends on how much it's like Elder Scrolls. So far from what I have seen, it's a LOT like elder scrolls.

If there really is any backlash when it launches, I bet it will be from people who simply would have backlashed about the game, no matter how it turned out.

I think it's pretty funny how many fortune tellers we have here in these forums. 

Originally posted by Brabbit1987
    Originally posted by Foomerang I hate to say it, but this game is gonna flop. Console and PC gamers both know what to expect from an elder scrolls game. We are still blown away by the epicness of Skyrim. People are going to expect an elder scrolls mmo to be nothing less than Skyrim online. There will be a lot of backlash when this game launches.
    That is nothing but speculation. While you might be right, you can't state it as if it's some kind of fact, because it isn't. It really depends on how much it's like Elder Scrolls. So far from what I have seen, it's a LOT like elder scrolls.

If there really is any backlash when it launches, I bet it will be from people who simply would have backlashed about the game, no matter how it turned out.

I think it's pretty funny how many fortune tellers we have here in these forums. 

Of course its speculation. Did I really need to clarify that?
  • paganloftpaganloft Member Posts: 11
    If console manufacturers allowed indie MODs for titles, the PC market would finally die off.

• wsmarwsmar Member Posts: 122
    Warhammer doesn't belong on that list, but everything else I agree with.
  • rminter48rminter48 Member UncommonPosts: 19
    You don't have to worry about being restricted to your factions territory, Zenimax has already told us that once you hit lvl cap you can go anywhere you like.
  • BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,627
    Game is better than most the MMO's released in the last year or being released shortly....this is just my opinion.
    "The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719

Oh look! It's another Wildstar fan just like jimprouner posting the same video he posted 6 days ago in this thread

Probably just a coincidence, eh?

Larzul of youtube fame sure does have lotsa fans don't he?

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• IncomparableIncomparable Member UncommonPosts: 1,138
    Its unfortunate big money follows certain safe design methods.

Unfortunately imo the disadvantages are not compensated by what i would comsider important enough.

1. Make pvp important. Guild mechanics, pvp tournaments, arenas, large bgs or instead open world pvp with capture zones. Also can become an e-sport.
    2. Long term rewards incorporated from alting. Can include player housing.
    3. Horizontal progression that can be progressed in mini games separate from gear progression. Mini games can be huge but not the main aspect of the game like underwater aspects, flying combat, sea warfare etc or different possibilities.

4. Make the journey about the challenges and not repetitive content that feels like a grind. Include smart a.i., dynamic events and different quest mechanics in general.

A game that does a good job to include these things at launch would have my attention since otherwise its a gear grind with little incentive to alt due lack if synergizing rewards or the game itself is lacking in content to progress as fun, or lacking end game.

“Write bad things that are done to you in sand, but write the good things that happen to you on a piece of marble”

Originally posted by Foomerang I hate to say it, but this game is gonna flop. Console and PC gamers both know what to expect from an elder scrolls game. We are still blown away by the epicness of Skyrim. People are going to expect an elder scrolls mmo to be nothing less than Skyrim online. There will be a lot of backlash when this game launches.

Of course its speculation. Did I really need to clarify that?

Ya, actually. When you say it's going to flop, that is a statement. A clear indication of speculation would be something like "I think" it's going to flop.

Sorry if I misunderstood you. I just don't like when people make a statement like as if it's some kind of fact.

• WildaboutwildstarWildaboutwildstar Member Posts: 38
    Sad thing is they decided to play it safe and make an ES single player game instead of a MMO!
  • SaiGodJinSaiGodJin Member Posts: 22

We need pvp servers with all map pvp free and of course many pvp modes , Battle grounds , arenas, warfonts(big areas with rvr) etc..

this way all players will enjoy more..why not to make more modes for pvp players ?It can be abd for the game anwyay ..people who love pve give them many pve ways and for pvp give them pvp ways simple 

• baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311

this game wont flop, no way no how, not in mmo standards anyways. people will complain as they always do with every game these days.

the fact that this will be on the consoles pretty much solidifies its success, especially if its just a B2P game.

whether or not you or me personally like the game is another story.

• keithiankeithian Member UncommonPosts: 3,191
    Originally posted by Wildaboutwildstar
    Sad thing is they decided to play it safe and make an ES single player game instead of a MMO!

Sad that most people playing Wildstar will play it like a single player game instead of the MMO they are claiming it to be. Maybe we will both be wrong and EQ Next or Black Dessert will be the next big thing. Wouldn't that be funny? lol

There Is Always Hope!

• immodiumimmodium Member RarePosts: 2,610

I disagree. Skyrim, the most dumbed down ES game to be released did really well. If this game is getting dumbed down to that extenct it's sure to be a huge hit, on both console and PC.

Originally posted by baphamet

this game wont flop, no way no how, not in mmo standards anyways. people will complain as they always do with every game these days.

the fact that this will be on the consoles pretty much solidifies its success, especially if its just a B2P game.

You may be right. I personally dont have much invested into the franchise. Who knows, maybe it has reached mass market status and the purists will be drowned out by the casuals. Its definitely a possibility. I do know, however, from my limited time with these games, that the mmo version is offering a different experience. Its the equivalent of making a GTA mmo and making it a linear themepark. The diehards would scream bloody murder, but the casuals could care less. Sometimes I wonder which is better, the blissful gamer who laps up everything and moves on or the scrutinizing gamer who is rarely satisfied but truly appreciates the good ones.
  • SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916

The best approach is to look at the MMO and forget about it's IP.

Difficult, I know, but if the game play appeals to you without the IP propping it up, then you'll most likely love the game.

The IP won't hold you if the gameplay sucks.

• Mr_MechanicalMr_Mechanical Member Posts: 88

Couldn't agree more. 

This is actually going to be the first MMORPG I "follow" and "look forward to" with absolutely no plans to Pre-Order.  

I simply do not trust that TESO will be good enough to buy.    As you said, If it's anything less than Skyrim online, I will pass.

You may be right. I personally dont have much invested into the franchise. Who knows, maybe it has reached mass market status and the purists will be drowned out by the casuals. Its definitely a possibility. I do know, however, from my limited time with these games, that the mmo version is offering a different experience. Its the equivalent of making a GTA mmo and making it a linear themepark. The diehards would scream bloody murder, but the casuals could care less. Sometimes I wonder which is better, the blissful gamer who laps up everything and moves on or the scrutinizing gamer who is rarely satisfied but truly appreciates the good ones.

I have to ask this. What makes ESO any more a theme park than Skyrim? I notice a lot of people throwing this around for ESO, however, I can't seem to find exactly why it's being thrown around. If ESO is a themepark, then so is Skyrim. The only thing I, myself, can be sure of is that you can no longer kill any NPC you want, nor can you roll down watermelons down hills and such. These little changes hardly changes anything though to switch the entire games core.

As for your last statement, the scrutinizing gamers do so even with out reason, a lot of times. Matter of fact, most of the time I question them and they can never come up with any good reasons for why they are complaining, or they come up with a reason that no one else seems to really care about. Worse, they complain about things you would expect to be in such a game. Also a blissful gamer can appreciate the "good ones" just as much as anyone else, there is no "truly". I really don't even see how you can make such a statement. 

Originally posted by Foomerang   Originally posted by baphamet Originally posted by Foomerang I hate to say it, but this game is gonna flop. Console and PC gamers both know what to expect from an elder scrolls game. We are still blown away by the epicness of Skyrim. People are going to expect an elder scrolls mmo to be nothing less than Skyrim online. There will be a lot of backlash when this game launches.
      this game wont flop, no way no how, not in mmo standards anyways. people will complain as they always do with every game these days. the fact that this will be on the consoles pretty much solidifies its success, especially if its just a B2P game. whether or not you or me personally like the game is another story.
    I have to ask this. What makes ESO any more a theme park than Skyrim? I notice a lot of people throwing this around for ESO, however, I can't seem to find exactly why it's being thrown around. If ESO is a themepark, then so is Skyrim. The only thing I, myself, can be sure of is that you can no longer kill any NPC you want, nor can you roll down watermelons down hills and such. These little changes hardly changes anything though to switch the entire games core.

As for your last statement, the scrutinizing gamers do so even with out reason, a lot of times. Matter of fact, most of the time I question them and they can never come up with any good reasons for why they are complaining, or they come up with a reason that no one else seems to really care about. Worse, they complain about things you would expect to be in such a game. Also a blissful gamer can appreciate the "good ones" just as much as anyone else, there is no "truly". I really don't even see how you can make such a statement. 

In ES games, I could be whatever class I wanted with the same character, wear whatever I wanted into battle, have a home, place my belongings there. To me those things are not found in typical themeparks.

this game wont flop, no way no how, not in mmo standards anyways. people will complain as they always do with every game these days. the fact that this will be on the consoles pretty much solidifies its success, especially if its just a B2P game. whether or not you or me personally like the game is another story.

In ES games, I could be whatever class I wanted with the same character, wear whatever I wanted into battle, have a home, place my belongings there. To me those things are not found in typical themeparks.

All that is in this game besides the houses, "currently." Housing may come at a later time.