Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Customization?

ashleymorrowashleymorrow Member Posts: 176
I'm downloading the game as I type this, but what does everyone think about the character customization?

Comments

• MadDemon64MadDemon64 Member UncommonPosts: 1,102
    Originally posted by ashleymorrow
    I'm downloading the game as I type this, but what does everyone think about the character customization?

Not as good as some games (TERA, Guild Wars 2, Champions Online, APB Reloaded), but better than many others (Allods Online, Ether Saga Online, World of Warcraft, Ragnarok Online 2).

Barely above middle of the road.  Combat is much better though.

Since when is Tuesday a direction?

• ashleymorrowashleymorrow Member Posts: 176
    Thanks for the reply MadDemon64.
  • ashleymorrowashleymorrow Member Posts: 176

I'm looking the game over while I download. Was hoping there would be a necromancer or shadow knight type class. It doesn't cost anything to try though, and it says that you can solo the content so might be a good quick fix type of game.

• MadDemon64MadDemon64 Member UncommonPosts: 1,102

I'm looking the game over while I download. Was hoping there would be a necromancer or shadow knight type class. It doesn't cost anything to try though, and it says that you can solo the content so might be a good quick fix type of game.

Not yet.  There are plans to release new classes (next two will be a warlock and a ranger), but no dates as of yet.

Since when is Tuesday a direction?

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    Originally posted by MadDemon64

Not yet.  There are plans to release new classes (next two will be a warlock and a ranger), but no dates as of yet.

Still wayting for a necromancer type of class,  dont know howeer if they excist in 4th edition.

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916

The character customization is fair, not great, but also not terrible.

It's a metaphor for most of Neverwinter, aside from the action combat and the variety of quests generated in the Foundry. Other than those 2 elements, the entire game is fair. Not great, but also not terrible.

However, at the average camera distance, 80% of the customisation you so lovingly applied at creation will not be visible. You do get to see it on the character select screen though. image

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    Originally posted by SpottyGekko

It's a metaphor for most of Neverwinter, aside from the action combat and the variety of quests generated in the Foundry. Other than those 2 elements, the entire game is fair. Not great, but also not terrible.

However, at the average camera distance, 80% of the customisation you so lovingly applied at creation will not be visible. You do get to see it on the character select screen though. image

You can script your controlls so that the mousescroll works as a camera zoom...

there are vallues  for max and min distance.. and you can also program a stepvalue for mousescroll up and down..

But its still a pity this function is not standard embedded in the game.

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus
    Originally posted by SpottyGekko

You can script your controlls so that the mousescroll works as a camera zoom...

there are vallues  for max and min distance.. and you can also program a stepvalue for mousescroll up and down..

But its still a pity this function is not standard embedded in the game.

I know you can reposition the camera with a command line instruction and zoom as well. But as you so rightly said, why is it so carefully hidden and obscure ? It's almost as if they don't want players to do that...

On another note:

PWE/Cryptic really don't seem to care about anything in the game if it requires human intervention. Humans cost money.

For the last 2 or 3 days, whenever I port into Protector's Enclave, I'm often greeted by the sight of a female in underwear dancing. So, what's the problem with that, you might ask ?

The character is named: "WWW.xxxxxxx.COM" !!!

The "xxxxxx" is the name of a goldseller website. You can use a fully qualified URL as your character name ! wtf ?

Reported it, but it looks like anything outside of standard office hours can carry on unhindered until Monday morning.

But I guess it's okay, the game is F2P after all...

• madnosmadnos Member Posts: 84

I would agree customization is middle of the road.

The game is a good "filler" ,If your waiting for an upcoming release , or just looking  to kill a few hours .

At least thats my experience with it

I was really hoping this to be " DDO Next " for lack of a better term. But imo it falls short In a lot of ways.

• kiernkiern Member UncommonPosts: 428

By now I'm sure that you have seen the character customization first hand and can judge for yourself.  However, there might be a couple of things that are not as obvious.

Each class has a general outfit style that runs for about 20 levels.  Meaning, that all characters in those level ranges will look very similar, with minor differences is appearance.  When you reach the next costume phase, your armor will start to look  different than the previous phase, but similar to all the other people that are in the same phase as you. 

That said,  many blue (rare) items will look different than the standard, so those can add a little variety in your look, as do a couple of uncommon (green) items.   So you might want to look into those for a little variety.

While not readily obvious, you can hide your head gear, which is nice after going through the bother of picking out hairstyles and colors.  In the character screen go to the head item slot and click the drop-down box and select hide visuals.  Same can be done for the neck area to hide a cape.  Unfortunately, that option is disabled for other slots.

There is also and option to change the appearance of  any item, using another armor piece.  Say, for example, you find a piece that you like the look of, at level 20, you can use that piece to convert a level 40 item to have the stats of the level 40 item, and the appearance of the level 20.

A nice option if you find one piece that you like better than others and want to maintain that look.  The downside, and  terrible decision on Cryptic's part, is that it costs AD to  to change the appearance. A lot of AD.  The cost goes up as you go up in levels, so that by the time you get in the 50-60 level range it costs 60k+ AD to change one piece of equipment. 

Considering that you change equipment fairly often, it is outrageously expensive to try and maintain a certain look. Heck, it is outrageously expensive to change it once. Seeing as you only get 3k to do a daily dungeon run, the costume appearance change cost is ridiculous.  It's a nice option, but I hope they rethink the cost.

You can also buy dyes, but you can only get them through the Zen store, or the AH, and they are pretty expensive.  I have not tried it myself, but I have heard that if you use the appearance change method, that I mentioned above, the dye color will also transfer.

• AbrrahamAbrraham Member Posts: 149
    Everyone looks the same, that was my impression.