Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

are console developers set to reinvigorate the mmo?

124»

Comments

• NodboNNodboN Member UncommonPosts: 50

NY is a rather large place already. not a whole "open world" per se, but large

If the developers have done it right, then the majority of buildings and rooms inside are enterable,  that would mean a lot more realestate to explore and search. also the video showed the tunnel system, if they'v done that right then its a large maze that interconnects the whole city.

^

wishful thinking, most likely less than a quarter of the buildings are enterable... eh

• XiaokiXiaoki Member EpicPosts: 3,848

Originally posted by Drakynn

Originally posted by Xiaoki  

Originally posted by CthulhuPuffs If by "reinvigorate" you mean destroy, then yes
    And where exactly has PC developers making PC MMOs for PC players gotten the genre?   Oh yeah, the toilet. Different developers making different kinds of MMOs for a different type of player is really the only way to save the MMO genre. PCs having near exclusivity of MMOs for the past 15 years has led to inbreeding and stagnation.
    You do realise that MMOs made for consoles will be made by the exact same developers and published by the same big publishers....   Unless I missedf some news that Naughty Dog or Insomniac or Hideo Kojima are working on MMOs
    You mean like Massive Entertainment(The Division) or Bungie(Destiny)?   Or maybe you mean Reflections Interactive(The Crew) and Zenimax Online(ESO)? Perhaps you were talking about the same old publishers like Ubisoft and Bethesda?
    Yes those games have been announced with MMO like features whether they turn out as good as they looked at E3 and how much they are really massive is yet to be seen.

Also these are evolutions of online shooters not MMOs perse,they borrow from MMOS yes but they are not the major influence.

It way beyond time online shooters evolved in some way.

ESO is the only ne on that list that probably qualifies and is also still a question mark.It is  also staffed by people who worked at those other publishers/developers on those MMOs you hate so much

Dont care how massive or persistent the game is so it "qualifies" as one genre or another, only care how good the game is.

Perhaps Destiny and Division are better off being closer to online shooters than MMOs. PC MMO developers have been trying to force massive persistent worlds onto their games so they "qualify" as MMOs and in many cases had terrible results.

Cryptic changed Neverwinter from an online lobby game into a persistent MMO and look how well that turned out.

ESO will get the benefit of the doubt currently because the game director is Matt Firor, who you may remember from a small MMO called Dark Age of Camelot. Heard of it?

• KonfessKonfess Member RarePosts: 1,667

In the console wars, the PC wins every time.  The console is a dumb machine with a lesser graphics system.  The price point of the majority of console buyers is $200.  I know most PC gamers who have $1,500+ rigs also spend $1000+ to get both Xbox one & PS 4 consoles.  But you are the few in todays world.

The console is famous for on rails shooters, now here comes on rails mmorpgs.

Pardon any spelling errors
    Konfess your cyns and some maybe forgiven
    Boy: Why can't I talk to Him?
    Mom: We don't talk to Priests.
    As if it could exist, without being payed for.
    F2P means you get what you paid for. Pay nothing, get nothing.
    Even telemarketers wouldn't think that.
    It costs money to play.  Therefore P2W.

• DrakynnDrakynn Member Posts: 2,030

Yes those games have been announced with MMO like features whether they turn out as good as they looked at E3 and how much they are really massive is yet to be seen.

Also these are evolutions of online shooters not MMOs perse,they borrow from MMOS yes but they are not the major influence.

It way beyond time online shooters evolved in some way.

ESO is the only ne on that list that probably qualifies and is also still a question mark.It is  also staffed by people who worked at those other publishers/developers on those MMOs you hate so much

Dont care how massive or persistent the game is so it "qualifies" as one genre or another, only care how good the game is.

Perhaps Destiny and Division are better off being closer to online shooters than MMOs. PC MMO developers have been trying to force massive persistent worlds onto their games so they "qualify" as MMOs and in many cases had terrible results.

Cryptic changed Neverwinter from an online lobby game into a persistent MMO and look how well that turned out.

ESO will get the benefit of the doubt currently because the game director is Matt Firor, who you may remember from a small MMO called Dark Age of Camelot. Heard of it?

Hey I'm all for Diversity and am hoping as much as anyone that Destiny and The Division deliver new experiences that rock our worlds but none of that is germain tot he topic of this thread which IS about MMOs.

I am also a DAOC vet though I still hold a grudge against Mythic at the time marginalizing light tanks and oh that way too long long period of time when Archers were way OP.But no game get's a pass and needs to prove itself to me no matter who the lead designer is.

• MaquiameMaquiame Member UncommonPosts: 1,073
    Originally posted by Konfess

In the console wars, the PC wins every time.  The console is a dumb machine with a lesser graphics system.  The price point of the majority of console buyers is $200.  I know most PC gamers who have $1,500+ rigs also spend $1000+ to get both Xbox one & PS 4 consoles.  But you are the few in todays world.

Most mmos nowadays are on rails and the truly open mmos coming out are also coming out for console as well. So I don't see your point.

Listen I am a PC gamer too but I don't want to play ten thousand versions of Lord of the Rings anymore or twenty thousand WoW variants and five hundred dead on arrival indie mmos.

Console mmos are going to save mmos period whether PC players like it or not.

And again you will see more variants of mmos like the Crew and the Division, things you won't see on PC why? Because everybody just wants a new goddamed lord of the rings variant. Trust me when I say this after Wildstar you will never see a true PC dedicated mmo ever again. Not to mention what's the point of all that power when no game maker really uses it anyway, the top of the line PC is a pure waste for mmos nowadays and everything is so console standardized that the PC ends up getting a poor port anyway.

The days of the successful PC exclusive AAA mmo are over and I certainly don't trust an indie dev to take the reigns. Bet you all money that mmos get better because they are also coming out on console. Less excuses to make when there is more competition on console for why your game sucked.

Any mmo worth its salt should be like a good prostitute when it comes to its game world- One hell of a faker, and a damn good shaker!

• YalexyYalexy Member UncommonPosts: 1,058

With the new consoles and their capabilities PC-gaming overall will take a hit.

Consoles are easier to write games for, as they have a unified hardware and no driver-issues whatsoever. In addition the new consoles will have the hardware to make games look as good as on the PC for the next 2-3 years to come.
    Also, most people don't need a PC anyways for what they do, and the new consoles will all have social-media, webbrowsing and all that stuff, even office-suites will be available for them new consoles.
    An even bigger decision to develop for the consoles instead of the PC is DRM.

Does this result in better MMOs in the future released on consoles? No!

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

If you consider games like Bioshock Infinite and Dishonored "on rails" .. then bring it on. "On rails" is fun. Let's do a good job on MMOs too.

• StrommStromm Member Posts: 243
    Originally posted by aspekx

the upcoming releases of two titles that have caused quite a stir, Destiny and The Division, are quite clear in their use of 'open worlds', exploration, and direct impact on the gaming world.

are the console developers 'getting it'? are they unwittingly setting the stage to take mmo's forward with new technologies, yet containing substantive old school premises?

to be clear, i am not suggesting that mmo's will go console, but instead that console developers might be taking the hint from gamers and building more open online worlds with what players want.

and assuming their success wouldn't pc developers begin to notice and apply these things to pc mmo's?

LOL no. :-)

• TwoThreeFourTwoThreeFour Member UncommonPosts: 2,155

To reiterate: if it only were so simple to compare technical capability, then sure PC would win everytime. However, culture and human psychology are hard to change, which is why neither the PC nor the Console market can absorb each other.

PC vs Console gaming was never just about the technical capabilities. 

• BidwoodBidwood Member Posts: 554

MMOs have been the one thing PC gamers have really been able to hold over console gamers' heads for years now.

It's ironic that, yes, consoles are now going to reinvigorate the genre.

I expect PVP to come back in a big way because console gamers tend to be all about competitive online gameplay and haven't been brainwashed by the established MMO ideology.

BTW - notice the trend towards devs no avoiding the title "MMO". Elder Scrolls Online, which is on console, and console exclusives Destiny and The Division. I think this is their way of managing expectations about these games not being what MMO fans expect.

• Mr_MechanicalMr_Mechanical Member Posts: 88
    Originally posted by ignore_me
    They sure are invigorating my distaste of PC graphics. I look at what consoles do and I'm like, WTF?!

LOL exactly. 

After seeing:

Watchdogs

The Division (*drool*)

Destiny

X (the Wii U Xenogears open world goodness in development.. also *drool*)

--------------------

Just to name a few, and then looking at the current PC hotness games like GW2, Rift, WoW....    I've been pretty much in the "WTF PC GAMING?  STEP IT UP!" boat.    

• EkarosEkaros Member UncommonPosts: 367
    Originally posted by nariusseldon

If you consider games like Bioshock Infinite and Dishonored "on rails" .. then bring it on. "On rails" is fun. Let's do a good job on MMOs too.

Dishonored could have  been better, I think Deus Ex was more open and it's much older...

"On rails" just like MMOs are now, you rail to end game and majority quits...

I don't think new console generation can bring anything to table that isn't already doable on PC. But it hasn't been done. And I believe the marketing guys will aim for even more mass market appeal. More casual games, MMOs are't cheap so there really isn't option for small targeted budgets. I believe it's just more of the same...

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by Ekaros
    Originally posted by nariusseldon

Dishonored could have  been better, I think Deus Ex was more open and it's much older...

"On rails" just like MMOs are now, you rail to end game and majority quits...

I don't think new console generation can bring anything to table that isn't already doable on PC. But it hasn't been done. And I believe the marketing guys will aim for even more mass market appeal. More casual games, MMOs are't cheap so there really isn't option for small targeted budgets. I believe it's just more of the same...

"could have been better" is just a cop out. It is good, and better than most MMOs already. I was talking about Deus Ex Human Evolution.

And yes, nothing wrong with quitting after you finish a game. That applies to MMOs too. I am not playing a single game forever.

• NaughtyPNaughtyP Member UncommonPosts: 793

The "Next Gen" consoles are featuring some decent system specs. It may not be as pimped out as a hardcore PC gamer's rig, but most PC games won't push a hardcore PC gamer's system to the edge anyways. Very very few games do.

And with that said, many developers are doing the multi-platform releases anyways. The whole PC vs console debate should be dead (or dying) at this point. Exclusive games are becoming a thing of the past.

I look forward to some of the upcoming consoles titles that blur the lines a little bit. It's good for the gaming industry imo.

Enter a whole new realm of challenge and adventure.