Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] EverQuest Next: Our EverQuest Next Wish List

Comments

• RydesonRydeson Member UncommonPosts: 3,852
         just my 2 cents again..... For the love of anything good.. Please SOE stay away from storylines and quest hubs..  I have sworn myself off those two feature for years and refuse to play that formula gain..  I can deal with bounty turn ins.. but NO kill 10 rats one time quest chains..  Give me a reason to team up with players in the open world.. :)  Time will tell
  • ZorgoZorgo Member UncommonPosts: 2,254
    Originally posted by feyrband
    Very limited fast travel and no single main hub city. Boats are fine, zeppelins were ok too, but I'd rather not see flying. No POK books or Dal portals.

Would you accept a 30 min to 1 hour travel time to meet up with your friends, like say going from GFay to Qeynos?

• BelerudBelerud Member Posts: 4

I've waited so long to speak up on this - years of frustration playing anything out there HOPING for the tremendous pleasure of playing EQ1 - in 1999...

So, here is my wish list:

1. Real darkness (night and indoors)... scary, low visibility, and hard to compensate for.

2. Smart NPCs: No pre-planned pathing.

3. Spawn points:  Eliminate them.  If not, certainly don't provide easy to figure out static and periodic respawns. 

4. Kills and loot - Stop babysitting players.  Allow kill steals (most dmg on mob wins or simply fastest looter wins)

5. RAIDS - Hello 75-men raids again please!!!

6. Mob AGGRO - Make it VERY complex - Modify range, social behavior, level of aggressiveness according to species and players confronting them.  Use ENTIRE mob field of view, sense of smell and/or other mob senses to generate initial aggro.

That's it for now

Bele

• S1LentKillerS1LentKiller Member CommonPosts: 71

I agree with you Arkade99 100%. I'm sick of games telling me what to do and where to go all the time. another i would like to point out is quest like that make us more social as a community. When things gets hard and it seem like your at a road block on a quest, you simply ask other players who have done the quest already.If that player is an A** then move on to another person. If you decide to be an A** in EQ1 then almost everybody on the server will know that your an A**.( Don't see that in MMOs anymore ). I've ran into a lot of good people like that and made lots of friends. Some of them i still play other MMOs with them today. 

Most MMos now are like single player games. The developers just slap a co-op mode into the game and call it an MMO. Then they wonder why the game isn't doing so well. LOL /points at EA LOL . EA you suck and i will never buy another game from you ever again. Sorry everyone i had to get that out of my chest. They screwed up swtor. :( 

• killahhkillahh Member UncommonPosts: 445
    Originally posted by Belerud

I've waited so long to speak up on this - years of frustration playing anything out there HOPING for the tremendous pleasure of playing EQ1 - in 1999...

So, here is my wish list:

1. Real darkness (night and indoors)... scary, low visibility, and hard to compensate for.

2. Smart NPCs: No pre-planned pathing.

3. Spawn points:  Eliminate them.  If not, certainly don't provide easy to figure out static and periodic respawns. 

4. Kills and loot - Stop babysitting players.  Allow kill steals (most dmg on mob wins or simply fastest looter wins)

5. RAIDS - Hello 75-men raids again please!!!

6. Mob AGGRO - Make it VERY complex - Modify range, social behavior, level of aggressiveness according to species and players confronting them.  Use ENTIRE mob field of view, sense of smell and/or other mob senses to generate initial aggro.

That's it for now

Bele

day and night, omg thats right!!

the first day i got everquest i started as a human and was trying to get to the entrance to the dark elf land to meet up with a friend, when it became night.

i had thrown my torch away, and i got lost in the dark.

i ran into a naked guy with a torch frantically asking me if i had seen his body and i was literally terrified of having that happen to me, so i  declined to help him and watched him rn off, only to see him run back toward me with some orcs chasing him, RED con orcs,  i nealy  had a heart attack, i ranoff into the darkness and  the first tree i came to i stopped and logged off  for 30 mins. orso, checking till it was daylight.

i had a torch always on me well into my teens after that :)

over 20 years of mmorpg's and counting...

• munx4555munx4555 Member Posts: 169
    Originally posted by Zorgo
    Originally posted by feyrband
    Very limited fast travel and no single main hub city. Boats are fine, zeppelins were ok too, but I'd rather not see flying. No POK books or Dal portals.

Would you accept a 30 min to 1 hour travel time to meet up with your friends, like say going from GFay to Qeynos?

I most definatly would, Infact I loved traveling trough eq, the world actually felt massive, these days they feel tiny since you can instant travel all over the place.

Not that I expect any current mmo dev to have the guts to make a mmo without instant or automatic fast travel.

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424

My only request will never happen, it's that SOE wasn't making this game XD

Edit: They ruin anything they touch.

• keenberkeenber Member UncommonPosts: 438
    I want so you can't pull more than one yellow mob to a full group and hope to live.
  • Heretic451Heretic451 Member Posts: 69
    Originally posted by Skuall

5- hard quests? > go X website to see how to finish it

4- Connections , I agree

3- Crafting like in eq2?or FFXIV? meh will be boring in a week

2- Grinding for months sure is fun......

1- yeah because ppl want to miss content because others killed the content already , whats happens when every outdoor boss is killed for the week? wait until next week and hope u are online when 10000 ppl are camping everything ?

5 - Or grow some nads and figure it out yourself. Are you saying it should be easy because you would run to the first website? And those websites form even more of a community at times as well.

4 - Okay.

3 - Then don't craft. I mean, some people find those systems cool. But I guess you know best. Oh, and using the word "meh" makes you sound like even more of an a$$.

2 - Grinding can be made fun, believe it or not. Besides, to find something really cool, time should have to be put into the game. Yes, I know, you want to zip through everything instantly, etc.

1 - I actually agree with you on a second thing.

• sethman75sethman75 Member UncommonPosts: 212

Seriously?

If you want that kind of game, reinstall EQ/EQ2 and enjoy  your game.

It would be suicidal for EQN to implement most of those things(although i do like the difficulty idea) because the customers that keep the game alive would all quit within 12 months and your left with EQ1/EQ2 again.

SOE want to make money remember

• ignore_meignore_me Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,987
    Originally posted by elocke

I happen to really like quest finder tools and quest hubs.  I don't think they make a game less "hard" just faster to get done when my time is short.  Think about this.  Take a game like FFXI.  It's a pretty unforgiving game and it's quests take some research to figure out how to do.  I personally always just used a guide or online guides to get them done.  Imagine if they had just put quest tracking in the game and showed folk where the quests are yet didn't change the actual quest itself or it's objective.  Guess what?  Still hard as hell to accomplish.  Which means, these extra tools DON"T make the game EASIER.  Really wish you "challenge" nuts would stop speaking for "most gamers" when it's not a universal desire. 

Just had to pipe up on your number "5.  Make it Hard again."  The rest are ok I guess.

There are lots of games like that for you to play. EQnext doesn't need to be like the rest of them.

Survivor of the great MMORPG Famine of 2011

• ignore_meignore_me Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,987
    Originally posted by sethman75

Seriously?

If you want that kind of game, reinstall EQ/EQ2 and enjoy  your game.

It would be suicidal for EQN to implement most of those things(although i do like the difficulty idea) because the customers that keep the game alive would all quit within 12 months and your left with EQ1/EQ2 again.

SOE want to make money remember

Those games already exist, doesn't make sense to keep cloning the same game over and over again

Survivor of the great MMORPG Famine of 2011

• toddzetoddze Member UncommonPosts: 2,150

My Wish list

5: Hard meaningful quests: By this I mean make quests open up zones and give you access to certain dungeons. Stuff like that. Quests have become nothing more than speed leveling. Seriously getting xp for running a letter across town is bogus. Which brings me to my next one.

4: group Mob killing for main source of XP leveling:  Kind of like XI, but I would like to see some variation in party size, instead of the number of 5 or 6 players. let duo and trio be an option. Solo Players you guys can go play the next wow clone flavor of the month MMO. It wont hurt you to skip one MMO title I promise. Even though I know you guys like to hit every MMO for at least 30 days.

3: Ability to change classes on one character: I loved this in XI you never need to level an alt. You could build your reputation up on the server, with not just your guild but everyone. Because people get use to seeing your name, remembering your name for good or for bad. It is really a great tool for building a strong community.

2: World raid bosses: I do not want to see world raid bosses spawning in a tiny area, I had my fill of that camping fafnir/nidhoog in XI. Make the world raid bosses spawn anywhere in a HUGE zone. That way the best organized and the fastest guild to mobilize will get the spoils. That also adds some randomness to the fight itself. For example one time super uber elite boss my spawn in an open area with no agro mobs, another time it may spawn in an area with a lot agro monsters. Another plus to that is claim bots are worthless. I think making them spawn anywhere in a huge zone is win win situation.

1: PVE first and foremost: PvE is my choice but if they go PvP they better go balls to the wall PvP!  PvP and PvE do not mix in a great game. A good PvP game needs balanced classes. A good PvE game needs strict class roles for challenging encounters. When they are mixed you end up with a crappy pvp game AND a crappy pve game. I have noticed in games that try to balance PvP and PvE, in the PvE boss fight encounters, to me it feels like everyone in the group or alliance is just playing solo in a group! Very little coordination happens. Where as in a game like XI in its prime, 2 DD's had to time their weapon skills, to get a skill chain, all the while a black mage had to know when to start casting to hit that skill chain for a magic burst, to maximize the damage done. Players having to coordinate like that has become extinct, IMO it needs to be revived. I loved it, it was easy to see who the good players are vs the crappy ones. 

Waiting for:EQ-Next, ArcheAge (not so much anymore)
    Now Playing: N/A
    Worst MMO: FFXIV
    Favorite MMO: FFXI

• MMOGamer71MMOGamer71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,988
    /signed
  • shawnfullershawnfuller Member UncommonPosts: 13

The classes of EQ1. They were the best defined classes with skills to match each class. non of this Cleric being main tank. The classes were so defined in EQ1 they were unique, Even the half classes (druid, shaman, BST) although they dabbled in a bit of healing they also had only a bit of buffs and dps. Also the limit on the number of spells one can have at a time, not 40 to choose from during each combat.

The other thing I miss is making your equipment worth while. Not like modern MMO's. Upgrade every level or 2. In the beginning when you save the money for a nice chest piece that would last you for 30+ levels. They weren't a dime a dozen and were hard to find.

One thing I do like more about modern MMO's is not having to camp for 4 days straight for 1 mob to spawn, but then you don't want them to spawn every 10 minutes. Once a day guaranteed would be enough.

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    Totally agree with the wish list, but lets remember that's what it is, if we see one of those items in the new EQ I will be pleasantly surprised.
    Originally posted by shawnfuller

The classes of EQ1. They were the best defined classes with skills to match each class. non of this Cleric being main tank. The classes were so defined in EQ1 they were unique, Even the half classes (druid, shaman, BST) although they dabbled in a bit of healing they also had only a bit of buffs and dps. Also the limit on the number of spells one can have at a time, not 40 to choose from during each combat.

The other thing I miss is making your equipment worth while. Not like modern MMO's. Upgrade every level or 2. In the beginning when you save the money for a nice chest piece that would last you for 30+ levels. They weren't a dime a dozen and were hard to find.

One thing I do like more about modern MMO's is not having to camp for 4 days straight for 1 mob to spawn, but then you don't want them to spawn every 10 minutes. Once a day guaranteed would be enough.

I so so so so agree.. the only thing I would like to see different tho compared to EQ classes, is that each class should have the ability to solo random average trash mobs that roam the zone, which should be 75% of the NPC..  The other 25% should be in the form of elite mobs aimed to be taken down by groups.. (camp locations).. This takes care of the bitch that people can gain XP because they are waiting on a group camp location..  Can't find a group to get into.. GO SOLO the 75% and stop whining.. 

However, you mention the don't want to camp for one mob for 4 days.. WoW and other games have been doing that for years and years.. It's called LOCKOUT.. You only get one shot at the mob per week.. Isn't that nothing more then a 1 one week spawn timer dressed in different clothing? Anyways, that can be easily solved, stop putting FIXED loot on FIXED targets.. Nothing is wrong with camping, the problem wasn't the mob's being camped it was the DROP being camped..

Originally posted by Scot
    Totally agree with the wish list, but lets remember that's what it is, if we see one of those items in the new EQ I will be pleasantly surprised.

Me too Scot.. Disappointment seems to be common these days with MMO's.. LOL  I wanted to add in one other thing to the wish list too.. I"m playing GW2 this morning casually while having my coffee and was just thinking.. THOSE cities in GW2 are a perfect size to be home to dozens of NPC vendors, faction reps, trainers, etc etc.. and also just random general trash mobs and YES, they should be killable (if you want to destroy your rep in those cities).. I sure do miss the ability to choose who to be allied with or not..  EQ2 Freeport was too big and Rift's so called cities are a joke.. 

• darksaber8570darksaber8570 Member UncommonPosts: 30
    Absolutely ...PREACH IT !!!  Make MMOS hard again  !!!
  • NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by darksaber8570

I wish that too but I cannot see that happening

game companies dont want to push away the casuals  ($$$)

• paganloftpaganloft Member Posts: 11
    leads me to believe that casual will also impact the hardware market - making the traditional pc market very very defined

• W1d0wmak3rW1d0wmak3r Member Posts: 3
    #3. The ability to get "lost" in the world... because it's so fricken' big.

I got lost so many times in the original EQ, I would spend an entire gaming night just exploring the world...... it was great.

• CoolitCoolit Member UncommonPosts: 661

Here’s my wish list, not long to wait until we find out now!

1. An economy similar to eve where crafting and resources actually matter (items actually break or get destroyed).

2. Non instanced player housing and guild cities.

3. No raid finder, limited dungeon finder for standard dungeons with anything higher like heroic dungeons need you to find a group.

4. Combat and progression system closer to elder scrolls games than traditional MMO's.

5. Cross platform the same as FFXIV where you can play the same characters regardless of platform.

• toddzetoddze Member UncommonPosts: 2,150
    Originally posted by Nadia
    Originally posted by darksaber8570

I wish that too but I cannot see that happening

game companies dont want to push away the casuals  ($$$)

I dont know why they cant look at the long term. Just look at EQ1 that game has been more profitable than any of the casual garbage released in the past 6-7 years. I cant understand why they would cater to the casuals whos going to jump ship as soon as the next MMO releases.

Waiting for:EQ-Next, ArcheAge (not so much anymore)
    Now Playing: N/A
    Worst MMO: FFXIV
    Favorite MMO: FFXI

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,629
    Originally posted by Soldor
    I'm hoping EQN is basically eq1 with updated graphics. Been playing eq1 f2p with my family lately and we having a blast

You wont EQN then...

"The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"