Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Skyrim Combat

MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531

I'm thinking of finally picking up Skyrim.  I'd most likely play either a 2H weapon or sword and board fighter.  As such, what would the combat be like?  Would there be a lot of running around, or could I mostly stand still and attack/block?

Thanks!

Comments

• MdpatsMdpats Member UncommonPosts: 176
    Originally posted by Vigg

I'm thinking of finally picking up Skyrim.  I'd most likely play either a 2H weapon or sword and board fighter.  As such, what would the combat be like?  Would there be a lot of running around, or could I mostly stand still and attack/block? Thanks!

You won't regret picking up that game. My suggestion to you, would be to look up some youtube videos on the combat. There are tons floating around.
  • jimdandy26jimdandy26 Member Posts: 527
    Mods are your friend.

I did battle with ignorance today, and ignorance won.

To exercise power costs effort and demands courage. That is why so many fail to assert rights to which they are perfectly entitled - because a right is a kind of power but they are too lazy or too cowardly to exercise it. The virtues which cloak these faults are called patience and forbearance.

• DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556

I'm thinking of finally picking up Skyrim.  I'd most likely play either a 2H weapon or sword and board fighter.  As such, what would the combat be like?  Would there be a lot of running around, or could I mostly stand still and attack/block?

Thanks!

There is some moving, but combat is not the game's highlight. Well, it's a very middle of the road game in the ES series. Not as bad as Oblivion, not as good as Morrowind.

• YalexyYalexy Member UncommonPosts: 1,058

Combat in Skyrim get's boring pretty fast, just like the game overall.

You basically just mash and wreck your RMB and LMB in Skyrim and you get nothing in return as the best armor and weapons are crafted from dragon bones and shells.

If you play only the main-story - takes about 10 hours - you'll have killed enough dragons and gained enough materials for a full set of dragon-armor plus two weapons. All you need to do afterwards is to boost your smithing-, enchanting- and alchemy-skill so that you can forge your shiny items, with two enchantments of uber-awesomness.

This game totally lacks epic loot and a driving storyline. Save your money.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,015
    Originally posted by Yalexy

You basically just mash and wreck your RMB and LMB in Skyrim and you get nothing in return as the best armor and weapons are crafted from dragon bones and shells.

If you play only the main-story - takes about 10 hours - you'll have killed enough dragons and gained enough materials for a full set of dragon-armor plus two weapons. All you need to do afterwards is to boost your smithing-, enchanting- and alchemy-skill so that you can forge your shiny items, with two enchantments of uber-awesomness.

Has any Elder Scrolls game ever been about "epic lootz"? Or storyline for that matter.

OP, the game is great if you like exploring, adopting different play styles for different characters and immersing yourself in the world.

I have a decent amount of mods but I disagree that you "need" mods. There are a few that might be worth it such as deadly dragons, but otherwise mods just change the flavor to your liking.

I have 839 hours in the game, more of it on one character than my second character and I love the game. But I love it for what it is, not for what it never claimed to be.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • YalexyYalexy Member UncommonPosts: 1,058

Originally posted by Sovrath
    Originally posted by Yalexy Combat in Skyrim get's boring pretty fast, just like the game overall. You basically just mash and wreck your RMB and LMB in Skyrim and you get nothing in return as the best armor and weapons are crafted from dragon bones and shells. If you play only the main-story - takes about 10 hours - you'll have killed enough dragons and gained enough materials for a full set of dragon-armor plus two weapons. All you need to do afterwards is to boost your smithing-, enchanting- and alchemy-skill so that you can forge your shiny items, with two enchantments of uber-awesomness. This game totally lacks epic loot and a driving storyline. Save your money.
    Has any Elder Scrolls game ever been about "epic lootz"? Or storyline for that matter.

OP, the game is great if you like exploring, adopting different play styles for different characters and immersing yourself in the world.

I have a decent amount of mods but I disagree that you "need" mods. There are a few that might be worth it such as deadly dragons, but otherwise mods just change the flavor to your liking.

I have 839 hours in the game, more of it on one character than my second character and I love the game. But I love it for what it is, not for what it never claimed to be.

Exploring is nice and dandy, but as there's no need to do any exploring... well... you get the point. The game gets pretty boring rather fast, as there's no point to all of the stuff you could do.

• sevitothsevitoth Member UncommonPosts: 375

Originally posted by Yalexy Combat in Skyrim get's boring pretty fast, just like the game overall. You basically just mash and wreck your RMB and LMB in Skyrim and you get nothing in return as the best armor and weapons are crafted from dragon bones and shells. If you play only the main-story - takes about 10 hours - you'll have killed enough dragons and gained enough materials for a full set of dragon-armor plus two weapons. All you need to do afterwards is to boost your smithing-, enchanting- and alchemy-skill so that you can forge your shiny items, with two enchantments of uber-awesomness. This game totally lacks epic loot and a driving storyline. Save your money.

Exploring is nice and dandy, but as there's no need to do any exploring... well... you get the point. The game gets pretty boring rather fast, as there's no point to all of the stuff you could do.

People explore games because they enjoy it, not because they need to. Unfortunately most gamers  rush through games as quickly as possible to get to max level and don't bother to take their time and enjoy the game along the way.

Currently Playing: DAOC Uthgard

Previously Played: UO, DAOC, Shadowbane, AC2, SWG, Horizons, COX, WOW, EQ2, LOTRO, AOC, WAR, Vanguard, Rift, SWTOR, ESO, GW2.

• SawlstoneSawlstone Member Posts: 301

Don't listen to people like this guy OP.

Skyrim is one of the best games ever made....period.

• MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531

Thanks for all the replies.  Looks like a 2H axe orc would be fun.

This worth the price?

http://store.steampowered.com/sub/28187/

Thanks for all the replies.  Looks like a 2H axe orc would be fun.

This worth the price?

http://store.steampowered.com/sub/28187/

Missing the summer sale should make you a sad panda.

The thing you need to realize is that while you can play just a 2handed orc, you can play a number of different things all with the same character if you choose. The game is much like Dishonored or Dues Ex. Every complaint lodged so far is also very fixable because of how the game can be modded, assuming you are willing to put in a little effort to learn how. The greatest strength of the Elder Scrolls titles is how they are a great canvas to make the game you want to play.

To exercise power costs effort and demands courage. That is why so many fail to assert rights to which they are perfectly entitled - because a right is a kind of power but they are too lazy or too cowardly to exercise it. The virtues which cloak these faults are called patience and forbearance.

• DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556

OP, the game is great if you like exploring

Yes, actually, it was about story from the start. Morrowind's story was amazing. One of the best RPG stories ever done.

And no, Skyrim really isn't good for exploring, because all the quests are marked on a GPS auto map, and all the dungeons and points of interest show up on your compass about 10 minutes before you find them.

• SamuraiXIVSamuraiXIV Member Posts: 354
    Originally posted by jimdandy26
    Mods are your friend.

I started Skyrim without mods and was having great time playing until I started using mods .... I haven't played Skyrim since the day I tried mods, you know why it felt cheap like it did back in the days of genesis and SNES when used cheatcodes it made games feel cheap and boring after the first 10 minutes of fun.

"mmorpg.com forum admins are all TROLLS and losers in real life"
    My opinion

Originally posted by SamuraiXIV
    Mods are your friend.

I started Skyrim without mods and was having great time playing until I started using mods .... I haven't played Skyrim since the day I tried mods, you know why it felt cheap like it did back in the days of genesis and SNES when used cheatcodes it made games feel cheap and boring after the first 10 minutes of fun.

Then you have no one but yourself to blame. The vast majority of mods are not cheats in the slightest. If those were the ones you chose to use then take some responsibility.

• SamuraiXIVSamuraiXIV Member Posts: 354
    Mods are your friend.

Then you have no one but yourself to blame. The vast majority of mods are not cheats in the slightest. If those were the ones you chose to use then take some responsibility.

I don't remember right but I think I had everything capped at 80 and all the best weapons and armor so after killing any mob with one hit for 10-15 minutes I got so bored and never touched the game again. The mods showed me how I can be at the end so nothing to look forward.

I would suggest that using mods should be done ONLY after you beat the game.

"mmorpg.com forum admins are all TROLLS and losers in real life"
    My opinion

• RateroRatero Member UncommonPosts: 440

Pick up the Legendary pack off of Steam and you'll be good to go.

As far as Mods go I would recommend something to give you extra carrying capacity so you can pick up all the loot you will find laying around and sell it.  Then play the game as intended with as few mods as possible.  Once you get the hang of Skyrim and want to use more mods I would recommend you picking up Levelers Tower.  This mod has tons of cheats in it you can use but try not to use them to become to powerful.  I used it mainly because it's my favorite house and it has a button in the lab that will alter my carrying capacity to as high as I think I need. 

In a way... I wish I never played Skyrim, I could then load it up fresh and experience it all over again with fresh eyes.  I have about 750+ hours in it and I've played it several times so far and I keep playing it.

You may want to pick up Oblivion as well.  I would say pick up Morrowwind too but it is an older game and it may not fit your play style.  All the ES games are very well done.

I hope you enjoy it as much as I do.

Ratero.

I don't remember right but I think I had everything capped at 80 and all the best weapons and armor so after killing any mob with one hit for 10-15 minutes I got so bored and never touched the game again. The mods showed me how I can be at the end so nothing to look forward.

I would suggest that using mods should be done ONLY after you beat the game.

Yes and no. Outside of graphics mods, gameplay mods should only be added to solve problems that you find. As you say combat was too easy? Grab SkyRe, Deadly Dragons/Deadly Monsters, Monster Mod, Skyrim Immersive Creatures, Dragon Combat Overhaul, High Level Enemies and ASIS. Even completely capped you will not be one shotting much of anything. And you will die. You will die alot. :)

Mods allow you to tailor your game experience to anything you please. If the game is too easy, there are plenty of mods to make it harder. If you do not like the look of armor and weapons, get some new ones. Done all the quests, and explored all the dungeons? Grab some new ones. If you are not having fun with mods then you are doing it wrong.

• RateroRatero Member UncommonPosts: 440

You can always go to the preferences and change the difficulty to Legendary.  

Ratero.

I appreciate your viewpoint and I understand it better than you know.

You are motivated by set goals.

My thought is that the elderscrolls games are about "your goals" within the framework of the world they have created.

I explore because I enjoy the immersion, the sense of the character I've created and his motivations. So, for instance, I've adopted the idea on my main character that the dragons are dangerous and a menace and if I see one in the distance I will get on my horse and track that dragon. If I see bandits have repopulated an area I'll go and clear them out.

I enjoy the views and vistas. I'll revisit tombs again.

I think that's where these games shine.

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Originally posted by DavisFlight

Yes, actually, it was about story from the start. Morrowind's story was amazing. One of the best RPG stories ever done.

And no, Skyrim really isn't good for exploring, because all the quests are marked on a GPS auto map, and all the dungeons and points of interest show up on your compass about 10 minutes before you find them.

well then that's subjective. In my opinion Morrowind's story wasn't any better than Oblvion or skyrim.

What can I say about your second paragraph other than "I agree but get over it".

It is what it is.

You can shut off those markers and you can get a mod to remove the compass markers.

We can have an all day discussion about the merits of Morrowind over Oblvion or Skyrim but that's already been done. You might know of a youtube video regarding the dumbing down of the elder scrolls seriies? Well, another gentleman made a rebuttal video about how morrowind isn't the pinnacle of the elder scrolls series and he had a lot of valid points. Both had a lot of very good points. One of them (which I believe both held) was that Bethesda isn't a particularly great developer. In some ways that's very true.

You just have to take these games as they are and enjoy them for what they are.

As far as the OP all I can say is "your mileage may vary, make up your own mind".

dumbing down

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JweTAhyR4o0&oq=elder%20scrolls%20dumbing%20d&gs_l=youtube..0.5j0.5783.10515.0.12601.23.16.0.7.7.0.174.1731.9j7.16.0.eytns%2Cpt%3D-30%2Cn%3D2%2Cui%3Dtl.1.0.0...1ac.1.11.youtube.9BY8CxsoYpU

not dumbed down

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LEI4yS7sFEw