Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Interview] PlanetSide 2: Player Studio Comes to Auraxis

BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565

Today, SOE is pulling the veil off a brand new feature for MMOFPS Planetside 2: the Player Studio. Already present in EverQuest, Player Studio will allow enterprising and creative gamers to create and sell cosmetic items in Planetside 2 for real world money. With the system due to go fully live in-game on Monday, July 29th read on for our conversation with Art Director Tramell Isaac to find out what you can make, how it works, and how you can make some cash from your creations.

User-generated content seems to be the new hotness in PC gaming, and that trend is becoming more and more present in our MMOs. Few other companies have embraced the players' power to create as much as Sony Online Entertainment, who've made it very clear that they want the player to help shape and build all of their first-party MMOs going forward. Much like Valve's "Steam Workshop", SOE is championing a feature for their games called "Player Studio". Already a part of EverQuest and FreeRealms, the Player Studio is a way for gamers to create and sell their own content in SOE's online worlds. Planetside 2 is the next game in line to adopt Player Studio, and it's currently in the soft-launch phase now with the final version going live on Monday, July 29th. We caught up with Art Director and fancy tie-wearer Tramell Isaac to to chat about the new feature, what it means for players, what can be made, and what the future holds for UGC in Auraxis.

Read the rest of Bill Murphy's Planetside 2: The Player Studio Comes to Auraxis

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

Comments

• AutemOxAutemOx Member Posts: 1,704
    No that isn't what we wanted.

Play as your fav retro characters: cnd-online.net. My site: www.lysle.net. Blog: creatingaworld.blogspot.com.

• OfficialFlowOfficialFlow Member Posts: 111

OH....... MY.......... GOD look at that fine detail on that nose now i am able to give 100% commitment to playing this game...... NOT who the fuck gives a shit how detailed it is they will just run and gun they dont have time to admire details in FPS

i know this is just a rant but still i bet it took 6 weeks to make that nose

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

Ah, so this is how they are going to monetize player created content for EQNext.

No thanks, RMT has no place in MMOs.

• RyahlRyahl Member Posts: 47

I'm going to offer two reasons why this is an intriguing idea:

1. This changes the F2P MMO from a monetization model and into an economic hub model.  Right now in F2P games an inordinate amount of time is spent making new cosmetic gear.  If the community is making that gear and the developer is just the taxing/transaction authority, then the developer should be freed up to make new content (which also requires new art assets).
    2. In many MMO's we see a restriction in wardrobe tied to the artistic design choices of the development team.  While it is certainly a good thing that these restrictions keep us from having penis-helmets, developer art constraints are also why women tend to have a very limited clothing choice set in MMO's (naked, nearly naked, and just suggestively naked).  At the risk of starting one of those threads, I would point out that a player made art community opens the door for more choice, be that racy or conservative, for both male and female avatars.

If MMO's are going to move towards player created content, then I would rather see some returns back to the creators of that content.  I doubt anyone is going to be able to quit their job and turn into a freelance MMO fashion designer, but I imagine there are some people who could supplement their software purchasing costs while they build out their portfolio.

Not me, of course, my artistic ability stops shortly before stick-figures.  Yes, before...

Ryahl - writer of eye-bleeders
    FFXIV Fansite | TSWGuides
    Follow me on Twitter

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    Originally posted by BadSpock

Ah, so this is how they are going to monetize player created content for EQNext.

Absolutely, I'm 100% sure that the Player Studio will be available in EQNext from launch day.

PS2 and EQNext are both F2P. They also run on the same engine. By the time EQNext launches, the Player Studio will be completely integrated with the ForgeLight engine, because the PS2 rollout will be the "beta" for that integration.

RMT is here to stay in one form or another, that genie is well and truly out of the bottle, I'm afraid...

What's bad about it ? EQNext will probably have the widest selection of cosmetic Cash Shop items that you have ever seen in a fantasy game. And all at very reasonable prices, because the creators of that content will be competing with each other for sales. SOE simply collects a % in the middle...

• arobiarobi Member UncommonPosts: 124
    Well played SOE I must admit I am intrigued. Ill reserve judgement until I see the full implementation presumably with EQNext.
  • EhliyaEhliya Member UncommonPosts: 223
    Maybe they can re-skin a MAX suit to look like a Tyranid Carnifex...hmmm.
  • tillerodertilleroder Member Posts: 12
    SOE is staging to be the Apple Store, or Google Play, of the MMO industry. This is a brilliant business move, and I can't believe no one did it sooner.
  • tillerodertilleroder Member Posts: 12
    Originally posted by SpottyGekko

PS2 and EQNext are both F2P. They also run on the same engine. By the time EQNext launches, the Player Studio will be completely integrated with the ForgeLight engine, because the PS2 rollout will be the "beta" for that integration.

The player studio and marketplace has nothing to do with the graphics and physics engine. I don't doubt that you are correct about the marketplace being a testing ground for future implementation in other games, though.

• NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
    Wait so the plan is to have the players make your cash shop items for you?

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

• CaskioCaskio Member UncommonPosts: 339

I don't understand why people are seeing this as a bad thing.  A player can finally put his own work (if it passes inspection) into a game they love to play.  Why wouldn't you like that?  

And if it is a F2P game like Planetside 2 this makes a lot of sense.  I just don't see the problem.  This is a win win to me.

Hmmm, I think some people here are stuck in a subscription mindset where this kind of addition to a game would be questioned since they already have a subscription.  But Planetside 2 doesn't require one, nor do you need one.

"If you're going to act like a noob, I'll treat you like one." -Caskio

Adventurers wear fancy pants!!!

• donpopukidonpopuki Member Posts: 591
    Why all the hate? Do items have to be created by devs to be legit? SOE still has editorial veto so if the item does not suit the style or theme of the game they can reject it.

I also think of this like the modders for Elder Scrolls or Fallout.  These guys make armor and weapons for the community to use and receive only comments in return.

To me, I see this as an opportunity to put something in a game that thousands will see.

• NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916

Player Studio

"If a player-created item is selected for inclusion in the SOE Marketplace, SOE will share 40% of the net amount it receives from the sale of the item with the player that created the item."

That's right SOE takes 60% and gets the players to make cash shop items for them. Oh sing the praises from the rooftops for player content!!! What a super grand day when the players can make cash shop items for SOE in all games going forward! World Peace your next!

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

• jimdandy26jimdandy26 Member Posts: 527
    Originally posted by Ehliya

That is actually one of my biggest problems with the player studio and various spinoffs. The amount of porting (violating copyright) and mod theft is rife in the modding community. There is little protection from a creator perspective without resorting to lawyers that frankly most people do not have the money to spend. Major studio's have the cash and power to actually enforce takedowns. There are numerous Skyrim Mods that have been ripped and ported to the Second Life store for example. People actively making money off from other peoples works, and Bethesda is well aware and does nothing. Even the Steam store for Dota 2 has seen this same issue, not to mention the sheer number of uploaded mods to the Steam Workshop that have others claiming credit.

Originally posted by nilden

Player Studio

"If a player-created item is selected for inclusion in the SOE Marketplace, SOE will share 40% of the net amount it receives from the sale of the item with the player that created the item."

That's right SOE takes 60% and gets the players to make cash shop items for them. Oh sing the praises from the rooftops for player content!!! What a super grand day when the players can make cash shop items for SOE in all games going forward! World Peace your next!

This too. its totally a net win for Sony. You can see how they even are training the EQ and EQ2 modders with feedback.

I did battle with ignorance today, and ignorance won.

To exercise power costs effort and demands courage. That is why so many fail to assert rights to which they are perfectly entitled - because a right is a kind of power but they are too lazy or too cowardly to exercise it. The virtues which cloak these faults are called patience and forbearance.

• MondoA2JMondoA2J Member Posts: 258

Erm...okay.

This seems....odd.

I think this isn't really an important feature.

Kinda cheap of them also.

MMORPG Gamers/Developers need a reality check!

• uggeh12uggeh12 Member UncommonPosts: 44

I really don't understand the hate, it's a win for all parties involved.

Players - Players that enjoy cosmetic items will get an increased rate of release and more varied options. Players that don't use cosmetic items are not affected in anyway.

Modders - Say a modder makes a helmet in PS2 that sells for $5(500 SC), they are making $2 dollars off of every unit sold. It's not a huge amount but it is more than the thumbs up or positive comment they would get normally. Additionally their creation gets exposure to a much wider audience than if they just posted it on some mod site.

Developers - Basically just free money for them but it also allows them to allocate more art resources to new content rather than wasting time on cosmetic items.

Originally posted by jimdandy26
    Originally posted by Ehliya

That is actually one of my biggest problems with the player studio and various spinoffs. The amount of porting (violating copyright) and mod theft is rife in the modding community. There is little protection from a creator perspective without resorting to lawyers that frankly most people do not have the money to spend. Major studio's have the cash and power to actually enforce takedowns. There are numerous Skyrim Mods that have been ripped and ported to the Second Life store for example. People actively making money off from other peoples works, and Bethesda is well aware and does nothing. Even the Steam store for Dota 2 has seen this same issue, not to mention the sheer number of uploaded mods to the Steam Workshop that have others claiming credit.

Originally posted by nilden

Player Studio

This too. its totally a net win for Sony. You can see how they even are training the EQ and EQ2 modders with feedback.

Bethesda allows it to happen because Bethesda does not own the mods.  Those mods are public works.  The creators have no copyright to them either. They are in the public domain.

So what if SOE takes part of the profit.  It is their game and there would be no opportunity without it. You're being as greedy as the company you proclaim.

• grimjakkgrimjakk Member Posts: 192
    Originally posted by BadSpock

People really have twisted the definition of RMT...

"I don't think that word means what you think it means", in other words.

And what's bad about this?  I honestly don't see a downside.  There are a lot of us that fool around with 3D modeling and animation on a hobbyist level.  It might be different if there wasn't someone filtering out the flying penises... but honestly.  Casting this as "teh ebil RMT" is just asinine.

Originally posted by Caskio

Bethesda allows it to happen because Bethesda does not own the mods.  Those mods are public works.  The creators have no copyright to them either. They are in the public domain.

So what if SOE takes part of the profit.  It is their game and there would be no opportunity without it. You're being as greedy as the company you proclaim.

Wrong. Anything touched by the ck is property of Bathesda. Read the tos. Steam has a similar tos for its cash shop goods.

To exercise power costs effort and demands courage. That is why so many fail to assert rights to which they are perfectly entitled - because a right is a kind of power but they are too lazy or too cowardly to exercise it. The virtues which cloak these faults are called patience and forbearance.

Originally posted by jimdandy26

Wrong. Anything touched by the ck is property of Bathesda. Read the tos. Steam has a similar tos for its cash shop goods.

I assume your saying the construction kit, but for Skyrim as an example there were mods for Skyrim before the construction kit was even released.  Not to mention you can create mods without even using the ck and still get the desired results/stats.  But if the mods were property of Bethesda then all mods would have their copyright in them.  But since we can freely do whatever we want with the mods even if they do make money, nothing is paid to Bethesda.  They are public domain and therefore no one owns it, not even the creator.

I assume your saying the construction kit, but for Skyrim as an example there were mods for Skyrim before the construction kit was even released.  Not to mention you can create mods without even using the ck and still get the desired results/stats.  But if the mods were property of Bethesda then all mods would have their copyright in them.  But since we can freely do whatever we want with the mods even if they do make money, nothing is paid to Bethesda.  They are public domain and therefore no one owns it, not even the creator.

Again, read the tos. Its why Jaysus (creator of Jaysus Swords, one of the most popular mods for Skyrim) stopped modding. He was pissed that everything created for Skyrim now falls under Bethesda's Copyright. Its also why the couple of times people tried making mods for profit was quickly shut down. Even attaching it to the .esp makes it Bethesda property.

If what you were stating were true, then places like Daz3d would not be able to operate, much less make money.

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904
    Originally posted by tilleroder
    Originally posted by SpottyGekko

The player studio and marketplace has nothing to do with the graphics and physics engine. I don't doubt that you are correct about the marketplace being a testing ground for future implementation in other games, though.

You should research the definition of "Engine"

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713

Love the comments about SoE "using the players to make content". As if SoE is putting a gun to someones head? Believe it or not, a lot of players LOVE making content for games which is evidenced by EQ and EQ2 which have the player shop already.

Not to mention all the people that you know, mod games like Skyrim for FREE. Damn that Bethesda, making the players create content for you! Some people actually enjoy creating 3D assets. I have no visual art skills myself, but as a musician if I had an option to create scores of music for purchase in an MMO I like I might find that to be a damn fun idea!

• JeauseoffJeauseoff Member Posts: 36

"Maybe they can re-skin a MAX suit to look like a Tyranid Carnifex...hmmm." - Ehliya

Hm...  Pretty sure that would fall under the 'no copyrighted material' filter they talked about... you know,  in the article.