Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Just noticed Dark Elf in the picture has horns?

LustmordLustmord Member UncommonPosts: 1,114
wtf is up with horns on a dark elf?

Comments

• GholosGholos Member Posts: 209
    yes i notice too, very weird.

"Brute force not work? It because you not use enought of it"
    -Karg, Ogryn Bone'ead.

• NagelRitterNagelRitter Member Posts: 607

> EQ Noob alert <

They aren't supposed to?

Favorite MMO: Vanilla WoW
    Currently playing: GW2, EVE
    Excited for: Wildstar, maybe?

• GholosGholos Member Posts: 209
    Originally posted by NagelRitter

> EQ Noob alert <

They aren't supposed to?

no, in EQ and in EQ2 dark elf dont have horns.

"Brute force not work? It because you not use enought of it"
    -Karg, Ogryn Bone'ead.

• jdnycjdnyc Member UncommonPosts: 1,643
    Tiefling?
  • TorcipTorcip Member UncommonPosts: 669
    Originally posted by jdnyc
    Tiefling?

This isn't DnD.  EQNext is supposed to be a re-imagining of the game isn't it? Maybe this time around they want dark elves to look a bit different than just differently colored elves.

• TygranirTygranir Member Posts: 741
    Originally posted by jdnyc
    Tiefling?

Don't exist in EQ Lore. That's a D&D race.

SWTOR Referral Bonus!
    Referral link
    7 day subscriber level access
    Returning players get 1 free server transfer

Leveling assistance items given to new player!

See all perks Here

• superconductingsuperconducting Member UncommonPosts: 871

a) There is no actual confirmation that's a dark elf in the first place

b) Even if it were a dark elf, SOE has already made it clear this is an entirely different game, a "re-interpretation" if you will, on the basis that Norrath exists in a different plane. Some examples of the changes: kobolds are reptilian-like characters, goblins are going to be different, Firiona is a ranger-type, etc.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

see it now

SOE & Wizards of the Coast teamup to bring..... the D&D version of EQ

Everquest with Kobolds and Tieflings D&D style

for silliness i googled and saw this

http://www.destructoid.com/magic-the-gathering-tactics-announced-153887.phtml

Wizards of the Coast and SOE are getting together to make a 3D turn-based strategy game based on the Magic: The Gathering property called Magic: The Gathering Tactics.

Originally posted by Nadia

see it now

SOE & Wizards of the Coast teamup to bring..... the D&D version of EQ

Everquest with Kobolds and Tieflings D&D style

for silliness i googled and saw this

http://www.destructoid.com/magic-the-gathering-tactics-announced-153887.phtml

Wizards of the Coast and SOE are getting together to make a 3D turn-based strategy game based on the Magic: The Gathering property called Magic: The Gathering Tactics.

Nice reference!

We already know the D&D reptilian version of Kobold is in the game; so there are probably several more D&D elements they incorporated.

Here's the person in question:

Now compare to this D&D Drow (dark elf):

Remarkably similar to our dark-skinned lady, isn't she? Maybe those aren't all horns we're seeing but instead ears.

Now take a look at this D&D tiefling:

Also possible right? Except the horns tend to be much more prominent in these creatures.

It is looking like much inspiration has been taken from D&D so far.

• RamanadjinnRamanadjinn Member UncommonPosts: 1,365
    Originally posted by superconducting

In a documentary I watched last night the fellow that originally pitched EQ said he just wanted to make his version of a D&D online world.  I'm paraphrasing but he did specifically say D&D.

• DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556
    Originally posted by Ramanadjinn

In a documentary I watched last night the fellow that originally pitched EQ said he just wanted to make his version of a D&D online world.  I'm paraphrasing but he did specifically say D&D.

True, but not quite so much in terms of art.

In any case, the horns is the least of what's wrong with this picture. I thought we had gotten over female characters wearing bikinis long ago? And giant weapons? And stupid looking bows?

What documentary are you referring to?

• RamanadjinnRamanadjinn Member UncommonPosts: 1,365

I'm honestly trying to find it.  I will edit my post if I can!  It isn't in my history though and it was rather long so i'm having trouble.

got it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubokT1_AZWo

• SilverbarrSilverbarr Member Posts: 306
    To be honest, looking at the picture they are the same colour as the flesh and therefore the ears. The could be some weird double ear thing? Not sure what I think to be honest, doesn't particularly bother me if its an item, horns or ears.

"Regard your soldiers as your children, and they will follow you into the deepest valleys. Look on them as your own beloved sons, and they will stand by you even unto death!"
    - Sun Tzu, the Art of War

Support the Indie Developers - Kickstarter

• GrandoReaperGrandoReaper Member UncommonPosts: 147

It seems to me that SoE is going for some hardcore everquest lore in regards to the Norrathian pantheon.

Dark elves reside in the underworld of Norrath, and are the children of Innoruuk.

When looking at a concept art drawing of the god of hate it is a deal easier to make out the horns than if you look at the screenshots of the in-game model.

• quseioquseio Member UncommonPosts: 234
    terrible artist should be fired doesnt  show me badass at all the dragon in that pic looks like a goldfish alll fluffy uselessdoodads and no Rawr
  • BattlerockBattlerock Member CommonPosts: 1,393
    Originally posted by Silverbarr

To be honest, looking at the picture they are the same colour as the flesh and therefore the ears. The could be some weird double ear thing? Not sure what I think to be honest, doesn't particularly bother me if its an item, horns or ears.

Those are most definitely black horns, zoom in on the picture, I can see the color difference plane as day even on my cell phone.
  • DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556
    Originally posted by GrandoReaper

It seems to me that SoE is going for some hardcore everquest lore in regards to the Norrathian pantheon.

Dark elves reside in the underworld of Norrath, and are the children of Innoruuk.

When looking at a concept art drawing of the god of hate it is a deal easier to make out the horns than if you look at the screenshots of the in-game model.

Just about NOTHING of that picture looks hardcore.

Originally posted by quseio
    terrible artist should be fired doesnt  show me badass at all the dragon in that pic looks like a goldfish alll fluffy uselessdoodads and no Rawr

It isn't the artists fault, that's EQNext's style and SoE told them to do it that way.

• MadDemon64MadDemon64 Member UncommonPosts: 1,102

Here's the person in question:

Actually, it looks more like a second pair of ears, like what the Charr in GW2 have.

Or it could be some weird headband obscured by her hair that she's wearing with only the points showing.

Since when is Tuesday a direction?

I'm honestly trying to find it.  I will edit my post if I can!  It isn't in my history though and it was rather long so i'm having trouble.

got it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubokT1_AZWo

Thanks. Real interesting to hear about the beginnings of MMO, this will be entertainment for the next 20 mins...

Gotta get used to Smed having a full head of hair back then.

• ice-vortexice-vortex Member UncommonPosts: 960
    There is rumor that deity choice can have physical appearance effects on a character.
  • GrandoReaperGrandoReaper Member UncommonPosts: 147
    Originally posted by DavisFlight
    Originally posted by GrandoReaper

Just about NOTHING of that picture looks hardcore.

Originally posted by quseio

It isn't the artists fault, that's EQNext's style and SoE told them to do it that way.

The concept art is for EverQuest 1. The hardcore aspect I was referring to is that if dark elves are truely children of Innoruuk then it would be expected for them to have horns. On a side note I remember being level 50 and nearly wetting myself at the sight of this god during a raid.

• LokeroLokero Member RarePosts: 1,514
    Originally posted by ice-vortex
    There is rumor that deity choice can have physical appearance effects on a character.

That's the first thing that came to my mind, too.  Just like the Bioware games, it's probably some aesthetic alteration for being a super evil follower of Innoruuk or something.

Either that, or it's not even a dark elf, but some type of Satyr that got hit by a fireball and burned black... the art is bad enough that it could go either way.

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

Just for reference, here is a webpic of the dark elves form EQ1:

And the new pic:

4 ears or 2 horns... Does it matter? There are appendages on the head that were never there before.

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• azarhalazarhal Member RarePosts: 1,402

Maybe they just wanted to make the Dark Elves look more demonic to show their evil backgrounds.  It's not like it's the first races to get a look change. We learned about the Kobol first.