Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What if EQN releases on the 6th of August?

13»

Comments

• AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521
    Originally posted by Arcticnoon
    Originally posted by Aelious
    Originally posted by Resken

No seriously, what if?

If you think about it...it would be one hell of a marketing strategy.

I think if they indeed release the game on Aug 6th it would be probably the most brilliant marketing strategy ever. People will impulse buy on the hype alone.

Also, SOE did say in the black box video "The Black Box Opens August 6th" Maybe the EQN box is black, and they're making a reference to it being OPENED by us on the 6th! The 6th is after all a Tuesday and most new releases come out then.

Wrong or Right, The anticipation for this game is killing me!!! Is it just me or is this last week going by so insanely slow!

Dude... you are such an idiot.

So you realize what you are saying? You're saying the game is going to suck.

Your whole argument is that EQN will sell better if people buy it blindly from unfounded hype? Therefore if they actually research the game after more info surfaces less people will buy it. Why? Because the hype is better than the actual game.

Idiot.

People will impulse buy on hype alone???? The only people who are hyped on this game are people who play or played EQ, EQ2 and SWG. People who follow SOE. Most of those people will play this game no matter what, especially since its F2P.

The rest of the world isn't following the hype. How many people from this site have hyped EQN? Less than 500. Compare that to the 2000, and 1400 of FFXIV and AA respectively.

Brilliant marketing??......

No company would be dumb enough to work on a crown jewel of a game for years and then release it 2 months after they let the world know that it even exist. That would be like showing the trailer of a block buster movie for the first time 1 day before its released in theaters.

I'm so saddened by how dumb the population is getting.

Hey, way to be buddy.  You sure showed him how smart you are and how dumb he is, didn't you? To those of us at home... not so much.

He never said anything about EQN being bad and a game's hype has no bearing on whether it's good or not.  He mearly had an opinion about how SoE could make it's move and personally I can see it happening though for different reasons.  Do you know what they are doing? Do you work for SoE? If not then you have no idea what they are doing either, any more than this person does.

I just don't get putting people down like this as it really makes you look really bad, not them.

Appearantly either you cant read and comprehend or you are on the same intelligents level as the original dude.

So let me break it down for you

Anyone who follows MMORPGS will likely watch the reveal on the 2nd of August and if at this reveal they announce that it will be in stores the 6th they will likely have a very HUGE turnout in box sales because of this hype they've been building for months and months.

So.. IF that were true, then the opposite is true also. If they wait and release the game next year after people get their hands on beta, then they would have less of a HUGE turnout in box sales.

Basically he wants SOE to ride the (very small) hype wave into box sales, by releasing the game before people have too much time to analyze whatever is shown Aug 2nd.

Somehow he thinks this is a brilliant marketing ploy.

Never mind testing the game in beta first. Lets not worry about critical bugs that could ruin even a very good game. Never mind server stess testing.

Damn it all! Lets get as many of these (few) people that are blindly hyped about the game right now and get them to buy boxes. If you cant see the dumness  of this reasoning then.......     Lastly "to those of us at home"? Where do you assume the rest of us are at 3am in the morning? Another genius.

If you can't get your point across without putting people down it isn't worth listening to.  I get that you think it's a bad idea, that's not the point now though it should have been.  Part of being able to communicate effectively with others is being able to do so without resorting to name calling.  Until you can do that I don't think others will take you very seriously.

• VocadiVocadi Member UncommonPosts: 205

Wouldnt it be a better idea to have a date for beta to start? My thought is that the game needs to be tested on a wide scale. Server capacity and optimization is really important in the early stages. I just dont see the game being released for public without a beta test of some kind.

Can you imagine the storm of shit that would occur with everyone logging in all at once? The servers would hemorrhage.

I am sure there will be some kind of early access available for all those who attend SOE live on August 2nd. Perhaps August 6 is the beta date.

I would be concerned if an early release happened. What kind of mass testing took place? Why so much secrecy on the part of SOE? Is there something to hide? We will see soon enough.

• IlayaIlaya Member UncommonPosts: 661
    Originally posted by Affordable
    Originally posted by Ilaya

No seriously, what if?

Anyone who follows MMORPGS will likely watch the reveal on the 2nd of August and if at this reveal they announce that it will be in stores the 6th they will likely have a very HUGE turnout in box sales because of this hype they've been building for months and months.

I think if they indeed release the game on Aug 6th it would be probably the most brilliant marketing strategy ever. People will impulse buy on the hype alone.

Also, SOE did say in the black box video "The Black Box Opens August 6th" Maybe the EQN box is black, and they're making a reference to it being OPENED by us on the 6th! The 6th is after all a Tuesday and most new releases come out then.

Wrong or Right, The anticipation for this game is killing me!!! Is it just me or is this last week going by so insanely slow!

Honestly......

Man i would be quite shocked. And it would be an AWESOME Marketing move. I think, no one has done such a thing before. But my guess is, that it will not happen image

You mean a TERRIBLE marketing move right? This game is under the radar. Best case scenario is they release the beta the 6th of august. 

No, honestly i think it would be an Awesome move. Why?

Every other company makes big marketing "Bla-Bla" and at the end, XX Features are missing or not working right and so forth. If they do it the other way around, it will sell itself, with less marketing. It might take a bit longer to get the players all in on that train, but i think there is a good chance to get it work on that way. If you get what i mean  :)

• RamanadjinnRamanadjinn Member UncommonPosts: 1,365
    I'm sorry, but I thought this was a forum to get info, talk about and debate mmos.

What happens when some guy gets on here and says The Godfather was a brilliantly crafted film? People agree with him. Now if that same guy says "I think Batman and Robin was the best of all the batman movies.....He's gonna get laughed at. Called an idiot. Told he has no taste in film.  

So if some guy "all hyped up on EQN Dew" comes here and says that releasing a AAA MMO after one press conference and no beta testing is a "Brilliant marketing strategy"

Well he's gonna get called for what he is. An Idiot. And I bet you all your warm and fuzzy feelings I'm not the only one calling him that. So why don't you go and save some puppies or something.

It really is that sort of forum, and on that sort of forum you will sometimes see people a little excited and maybe even have a few lapses in judgment from this excitement. 

The guy is provably wrong about many things.  Box sales for one on a f2p game.  I also would never expect a release on the 6th so soon after the reveal for reasons you and others point out.  Still, that it is unlikely is a logical statement and that it is impossible is less so.  it could very well be the case SOE wants to do something kinda crazy for some reason unknown to me.  I just wouldn't bet on it without some extreme odds.  Still it being such a big title and free to play, maybe they have a strange release plan, we can't really know at this point.

One thing to remember about humans though is they can make mistakes, even the smart ones.  It would be foolish to think we could judge another person's intelligence based on a brief, possibly emotionally charged interaction on these forums about which we know very little.  I won't call you a fool though because I am enlightened at least to the point where I can realize the one moment in time where you made your post doesn't really define you.

• ReskenResken Member Posts: 10

No seriously, what if?

Dude... you are such an idiot.

So you realize what you are saying? You're saying the game is going to suck.

Your whole argument is that EQN will sell better if people buy it blindly from unfounded hype? Therefore if they actually research the game after more info surfaces less people will buy it. Why? Because the hype is better than the actual game.

Idiot.

People will impulse buy on hype alone???? The only people who are hyped on this game are people who play or played EQ, EQ2 and SWG. People who follow SOE. Most of those people will play this game no matter what, especially since its F2P.

The rest of the world isn't following the hype. How many people from this site have hyped EQN? Less than 500. Compare that to the 2000, and 1400 of FFXIV and AA respectively.

Brilliant marketing??......

No company would be dumb enough to work on a crown jewel of a game for years and then release it 2 months after they let the world know that it even exist. That would be like showing the trailer of a block buster movie for the first time 1 day before its released in theaters.

I'm so saddened by how dumb the population is getting.

Hey, way to be buddy.  You sure showed him how smart you are and how dumb he is, didn't you? To those of us at home... not so much.

He never said anything about EQN being bad and a game's hype has no bearing on whether it's good or not.  He mearly had an opinion about how SoE could make it's move and personally I can see it happening though for different reasons.  Do you know what they are doing? Do you work for SoE? If not then you have no idea what they are doing either, any more than this person does.

I just don't get putting people down like this as it really makes you look really bad, not them.

Appearantly either you cant read and comprehend or you are on the same intelligents level as the original dude.

So let me break it down for you

So.. IF that were true, then the opposite is true also. If they wait and release the game next year after people get their hands on beta, then they would have less of a HUGE turnout in box sales.

Basically he wants SOE to ride the (very small) hype wave into box sales, by releasing the game before people have too much time to analyze whatever is shown Aug 2nd.

Somehow he thinks this is a brilliant marketing ploy.

Never mind testing the game in beta first. Lets not worry about critical bugs that could ruin even a very good game. Never mind server stess testing.

Damn it all! Lets get as many of these (few) people that are blindly hyped about the game right now and get them to buy boxes. If you cant see the dumness  of this reasoning then.......     Lastly "to those of us at home"? Where do you assume the rest of us are at 3am in the morning? Another genius.

If you can't get your point across without putting people down it isn't worth listening to.  I get that you think it's a bad idea, that's not the point now though it should have been.  Part of being able to communicate effectively with others is being able to do so without resorting to name calling.  Until you can do that I don't think others will take you very seriously.

I'm not really sure why you must insult my intelligence because I have a difference in opinion on what a smart marketing move would be? Why are you so angry? It's not that big of a deal, really. I think you need to chill out. You act as if you're the only one allowed to have a viewpoint and the scariest part is that you don't seem to view it as an opinion, but rather fact.

• ZorgoZorgo Member UncommonPosts: 2,254

Don't get your hopes up.

We have to go through the phase where we actually find out how the game is going to look, play and feel and throngs of people absolutely certain that their dream vision was reality will be totally disillusioned.

Then we need to go through several months, up to a year to wage war about whether it is a sandbox or not, whether the art direction is good or not, the pvp vs. pve war has already begun - imagine how it will escalate when actual facts are disclosed on it, and then there is of course the soe is evil vs. soe created a genre war. 

There is plenty to do for a long time before release.

But it would be a pretty amazing thing if they were able to actually develop the full game in secret to the point it would release 4 days later, without any form of beta testing with a mass population.

Yeah....don't get your hopes up.

• ZorgoZorgo Member UncommonPosts: 2,254

you are on the same intelligents level as the original dude.

So let me break it down for you cant see the dumness  of this reasoning then.......     

Nerd burn fail.

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916

Launch on the 6th ?

There's no chance. Zero. Nada. Zip...

You only get one opportunity to REALLY tempt people to spend big on "founders packs" or "starter packs" or "pre-order bonus packs" or whatever when you launch a F2P game...

And that opportunity is BEFORE the game launches !

You want to build anticipation. You want players to snap up those pre-orders so that they can have an imagined "advantage" at launch. They're not going to snap-up those bundles a week AFTER payday, because by then they're broke, having being caught unawares.

No, I'll bet they are going to make a meal of this marketing opportunity, and then they'll start frontloading the revenue streams:

• Get ready for "guaranteed beta access" if you pre-order a starter pack.
    • And special "double-value" deals on Station Cash in the months leading up to launch.
    • And extra "Early Adopters Discount" on premium subscriptions.
    • And... yada.. yada..

• munx4555munx4555 Member Posts: 169

I don't see SoE releasing EqNext on august 6th, you need to remeber SoE were the team behind the massive flop Vanguard, they know what happens when you neglect proper beta testing.

While I don't expect it to happen, I suppose there is a slight chance of a open or payed beta on august 6th.

• giga1000giga1000 Member Posts: 98
    Originally posted by munx4555

I don't see SoE releasing EqNext on august 6th, you need to remeber SoE were the team behind the massive flop Vanguard, they know what happens when you neglect proper beta testing.

While I don't expect it to happen, I suppose there is a slight chance of a open or payed beta on august 6th.

Uh... Vanguard was Sigil Games or what ever it was. SOE came in after no one would bail them out for messing up everything money related. They were pretty much begging any company to bail them out. If it wasn't for SOE Vanguard wouldn't exist today because it would of shut down when the company went under from going bankrupt. 

Reread you facts before stating false opinions.

http://www.giantbomb.com/vanguard-saga-of-heroes/3030-4791/ heres your sign!

P.S. if you read the history of Vanguard it was in beta for over 2 years lol from 2005 to 2007 because Sigil didn't know what they were doing.

• TelondarielTelondariel Member Posts: 1,001
    Originally posted by Spankthetoad
    Anyone know if you can sub this game and not go ftp.  I hope so.  It would be nice to have perks like Rift does when you sub.

Based on their other games, more than likely.

• DullahanDullahan Member EpicPosts: 4,536
    Originally posted by grimfall
    Originally posted by Dullahan
    I'd say no chance of launch, but a chance of some form of beta.

I'd say no chance of either.  You have to, you know, recruit players to beta, and set them up.  A beta signup is about as far as they can get by Aug 6th, unless it's a browser based game with little download, then you could in theory have the fanfast players beta testing it by Tuesday.  Tuesday is probably just the day the web page really goes up, a few days after the hard core fans had their time to enjoy the exclusivity of being at the SOE Fanfest.

You apparently don't understand the beta process.

You start small, then go bigger until the final stress tests.  They could recruit on the 6th and have 10k players in a matter of hours.

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    Originally posted by Telondariel
    Originally posted by Spankthetoad
    Anyone know if you can sub this game and not go ftp.  I hope so.  It would be nice to have perks like Rift does when you sub.

Based on their other games, more than likely.

Planetside 2 was SOE's first "made-for-F2P" game, so it may be an indication of what they'll do with EQNext's payment options.

PS2 launched as F2P and is actually totally playable without ever spending a single dime.

They did sell "starter packs" which you could pre-order before launch. PS2 also has a monthly sub option that gives certain benefits like faster XP. The Cash Shop has heaps of armour and vehicle skins, as well as variations on the default weapons (which mostly have trade-offs like faster firing rate but smaller clip, etc).

• StayonboardStayonboard Member Posts: 77

I don't really understand how it could release so fast... I can't even find that much information about it :) 

I know they have a big announcement August 2nd, I suspect we'll at least get a release date but not much else? 

• kinkyJalepenokinkyJalepeno Member UncommonPosts: 1,044

No seriously, what if?

What if my senile grandma knocked seven shades of shite out of every person on this planet, before making me a huge egg custard pudding??  

No seriously, what if??

With extra nutmeg by the way !!!

• GrailerGrailer Member UncommonPosts: 893

It would be brilliant strategy to sell box copies on the 6th if the game sucked.

Lets be honest we don't know if the game sucks or is good ,  but we are more likely to buy a bad game that looks good if we are only shown what the developers want to show us .

If there was no beta test or stress test then we would be forced to judge the game on the limited information we receive .

• LithiumTeaLithiumTea Member Posts: 16

I thought it won't be subscription based, and thus free. But like GW2 you've gotta buy the box.

maybe i'm wrong?

PLEASE, Not F2P... I mean Free to Rape MMORPG players and make them think they are playing a free game.

• IadienIadien Member UncommonPosts: 638
    It is well known that it is F2P. Why are people still disputing this?
  • jdlamson75jdlamson75 Member UncommonPosts: 1,010
    Originally posted by giga1000
    Originally posted by munx4555

Uh... Vanguard was Sigil Games or what ever it was. SOE came in after no one would bail them out for messing up everything money related. They were pretty much begging any company to bail them out. If it wasn't for SOE Vanguard wouldn't exist today because it would of shut down when the company went under from going bankrupt. 

Reread you facts before stating false opinions.

http://www.giantbomb.com/vanguard-saga-of-heroes/3030-4791/ heres your sign!

P.S. if you read the history of Vanguard it was in beta for over 2 years lol from 2005 to 2007 because Sigil didn't know what they were doing.

You're right, and Sony must know nothing about what happened before they came on board.  So how could they learn from that, right?

Think before you post.  It's not about you and your vast nerd knowledge, it's about SOE knowing not to release early before proper beta testing.

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856
    No spam?no endless month of trickling only to be mad at game Dev?for a game Dev this would be a first!I expect a full release at Christmas but Sony could release next month and stretch over the next 6 month the game (like a TV series)it would annoy gamer but then we re always mad at series,like harry potter!wtf Next year?hell this actually would give time to SOE to polish stuff and release early!we would probably get starter area with plot just long enough to see you char on the brink of death,and the blackscreen!the rest?see chapter 1!haha that would come next month!its the only way I see eq next doing something descent!SOE main issue is they always have issue when they live stream!no 1080p live stream mean user won't bother with the product !