Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

thinking about trying....

DeadlobsterDeadlobster Member UncommonPosts: 126

Hey guys,

Is this game worth downloading and playing? looking for smething a bit different. I'm not great at pvp but I like it. Played AoC on seriously hardcore PVP server. The kind of server where u attack everything that moves... npc or player character.

Anyhoo, any feedback appreciate,

Thanks in advance.

Dead

Comments

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

Been playing for about a week now and its ok. If you don't sub, its really obnoxious. Character creation is garbage. Sound and music is good. Graphics are ok. The non combat activities are a lot of fun. Combat is interesting. The quests are same ol. Its a mixed bag really. Personally, I feel it lacks the polish of a sub worthy game but thats just me. When you play it as f2p, you are constantly reminded of how badly you are gimping yourself... like literally every other menu.

Overall I'd give it a 6.5/10.

• RamanadjinnRamanadjinn Member UncommonPosts: 1,365

Game is for sure a mixed bag.

First off, if you do play it don't judge it by the tutorial where are going to be led by the nose from one poorly translated guy who will talk about stuff that doesn't make much sense to the next.  Sometimes people will just stop talking to you and you'll have to click on them to get them to get on with it.

After you pick your school, do your first mini-instance or whatever, and finish the way too long tutorial which won't really teach you anything but how much the tutorial sucks, the game turns into something unique and fun.

Between spy quests, kidnapping, instances, general pvping, crafting, farming, market playing, etc.. the game can be a joy.

that joy is constantly overshadowed though by the fact that the company who runs it is hands down one of the most incompetent outfits you'll ever witness.  The game is overrun with bots, gold seller spammers, and so many garbage translations.  There are also many built-in game mechanics that most players here are just not accustomed to and dont' enjoy (like a cap on XP gains per day and stuff like that).

I feel the game is great, but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.  It is the sort of thing you're going to love or you're going to uninstall day one.

• apocolusterapocoluster Member UncommonPosts: 1,326
    Hmmmmm Do or do not...there is no try Hmmmmmmm

No matter how cynical you become, its never enough to keep up - Lily Tomlin

• koboldfodderkoboldfodder Member UncommonPosts: 447

This is a PVP game.  It's not a quest game or a dungeon game or a crafting game.  PVP is the focus of the game, everything revolves around PVP.  There is no subscription.  What you do is purchase VIP status.  What that means is that your EXP rate and your EXP conversion rate are enhanced, so it takes you less time to level skills.  You can get max skills without paying anything, it will just take a while.  Actually, it will take a long while to get max skills in your school even if you do pay for VIP status.  And if you decide to get skills from other schools, it will take you even longer.  While there are no character levels, there are skill levels and the way EXP works there is a big time grind.

There are a few problems with the game.  The first is the lag.  Combat requires you to be precise with your movements and your button pressing.  If you are off by a second or so, you will lose.  Lag kills this game.  The second is the awful translation.  You just have to suffer few the first week or so to figure things out.  You will come across bizarre Chinese to English translations and scratch your head but when you figure out what it means it will sort of make sense.  The third problem is the company behind the game, Snail Games.  They come across as a shady company.  There is just something that is a little back alley about them.

If you can get past those three things, the game has some really nice PVP ideas.  But you have to enjoy PVP to get a lot out of this game.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

The tutorial stinks just try to get feel for the culture and game world. When That's done never quest again. Go out into the world.

sub is 9$ I recommend It for new players. Vets can drop it and not miss a beat.

my 1st week or ao was alright. Then cb1 ended, I started jones in for he game. I literally learn Several new  things a day , 8 months in.

hav e any questions feel free to pm me.

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870
    Originally posted by koboldfodder

This is a PVP game.  It's not a quest game or a dungeon game or a crafting game.  PVP is the focus of the game, everything revolves around PVP.

It's just as much a PVE game as it is a PVP game.  If no one did dungeons then no one would have the recipes to make the weapons, clothing, and other items.  If no one farmed nodes, then no one would have the materials to make the items from the recipes found in dungeons.  If no one killed  PVE mobs, then no one would have the materials to make the higher tier poisons. 

The game design revolves heavily around PVE.  Just becuase you don't go in dungeons or farm mats doesn't mean others don't.  How do you think you got that armor you are wearing, or the weapon you are using?  Those weren't loot drops off of other players.

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• OpapanaxOpapanax Member Posts: 973

Just don't spend any serious money on this game. Its fun and interesting in many areas, but not completely worth your undivided trust in what they are doing.

Keep your spending to the bare minimum which would just be the $9 for 30 days of VIP. Anything thing else that inclines you to spend money should be scrutinized to an extent.

PM before you report at least or you could just block.

• DeadlobsterDeadlobster Member UncommonPosts: 126

Hey, many thanks for all the replies. Downloaded the eu version (age of wulin). Going to give it a few days play and see how it goes. Hard though, playing BF3 like a motha f****r at the moment. 

Dead.