Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

Call the ambulance WoW under 8 million subs now

Comments

• Jean-Luc_PicardJean-Luc_Picard La BarrePosts: 3,543Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Nadia

WOW can gain subs again if they put out a new expansion with content for all levels

(allowing players to avoid adventure content they dont like -- ie Cata)

EQ2 did something similar with Echos of Faydwer

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EverQuest_II:_Echoes_of_Faydwer

That wouldn't repair the ruined linear world though...

Playing now: WoW, Landmark, GW2, The Crew, SotA

Top 3 MMORPGs played: UO, AC1 and WoW

Honorable mentions: AO, LotRO, SW:TOR and GW2.

----------------

"The ability to speak doesn't make you intelligent" - Qui-gon Jinn. After many years of reading Internet forums, there's no doubt that neither does the ability to write.
    So if you notice that I'm no longer answering your nonsense, stop trying... because you just joined my block list.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Arkham, VAPosts: 10,910Member

Originally posted by Jean-Luc_Picard
    Originally posted by Nadia WOW can gain subs again if they put out a new expansion with content for all levels (allowing players to avoid adventure content they dont like -- ie Cata)   EQ2 did something similar with Echos of Faydwer http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EverQuest_II:_Echoes_of_Faydwer

Meh. The world's fine. It's just different now. I might have actually played my level 80 characters more than an hour if I hadn't had to go through the Cataclysm content though. Hurrgh, that was bad stuff.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• MukeMuke BredaPosts: 2,168Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Rusque

It was great for new people as they revamped the old world....

I found the old world revamp horrible. What once was a huge world with some exploration and adventure became a totally linear quest grind fest. You can't do areas in any order anymore, you have to follow the quest plot, or the higher quests aren't activated and/or are in a different phase. Even for a new player, the experience is very dull compared to before the revamp.

I remember traveling from Darnassus to Stormwind to join some friends back then after release. I had to take the boat, then cross several dangerous areas (for a level 5 character), it was thrilling, exciting. They removed that too. Now you are on rails all the time. And the flying mounts...

old world revamp was unnecessary.

How many ppl do the grind?

Most ppl know others in guilds who help them boost 1-90 in 2 days.

Many ppl never see the regions after lvl 10 as they level up in pvp or do the dungeon powergrind with higher level friends.

Then you have that heirloom stuff which powerrockets you through the zones , IF you go that way.

Clearly, Blizzard knows the 'good' stuff is at endgame and wants new characters to go there asap before they unsub while doing the level grind.

Won't be long before they add 'XP booster packs' to the online store.

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

Originally posted by lizardbones

Originally posted by Nadia WOW can gain subs again if they put out a new expansion with content for all levels (allowing players to avoid adventure content they dont like -- ie Cata)   EQ2 did something similar with Echos of Faydwer http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EverQuest_II:_Echoes_of_Faydwer

Meh. The world's fine. It's just different now. I might have actually played my level 80 characters more than an hour if I hadn't had to go through the Cataclysm content though. Hurrgh, that was bad stuff.

I liked it better before, when you could actually do quests where you wanted in an area (and skip spots you disliked too) instead of being forced down one single path from the beginning of the area to the end.

----------------

"The ability to speak doesn't make you intelligent" - Qui-gon Jinn. After many years of reading Internet forums, there's no doubt that neither does the ability to write.
    So if you notice that I'm no longer answering your nonsense, stop trying... because you just joined my block list.

• WizardryWizardry Ontario, CanadaPosts: 8,428Member Uncommon

I don't think numbers matter at all,you play what game you like and nothing else should matter.I do know that you enter Wow you will see a LOT of empty zones.I played a whole week and i could count on two hands the total number of players i ran into.One was on a mount,just passing through asked me to join a guild.Since Wow does not start in a town either,you really create an empty feeling in your game.At least with a town you have a central hub were many players go.

Me personally,i think Blizzard makes boring games,doesn't matter what i think,if you like it play it.

Samoan Diamond

• RhinotonesRhinotones BenowaPosts: 238Member Uncommon

Amber lamps, I mean ambulance http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDD9FmdmUN4

WoW needs the Epic bearded guy to make things right.

• AxehiltAxehilt San Francisco, CAPosts: 8,705Member Uncommon

WOW can gain subs again if they put out a new expansion with content for all levels

There's some irony to the fact that you're suggesting WOW should have an expansion with content for all levels, while criticizing the expansion which massively revamped and improved level 1-60 content.

"Joe stated his case logically and passionately, but his perceived effeminate voice only drew big gales of stupid laughter..." -Idiocracy
    "There is only one good, knowledge, and one evil, ignorance." -Socrates

• BadSpockBadSpock Somewhere, MIPosts: 7,974Member

I had some fun in Pandaria, but once I hit 90 on my Shaman I was - for the first time playing WoW - confused as to exactly what I had to do to continue to progress my character.

Scenarios? Dungeons? Dailies? Someone in the guild I was in gave me an outline of things to do to gear up and get factions up etc. and I was just... meh. None of it sounded interesting.

Cata and Panda were major disappointments to me.

I had a great time in WOTLK raids and dungeons, before they nerfed all the talent tree mechanics.

Originally posted by Axehilt

There's some irony to the fact that you're suggesting WOW should have an expansion with content for all levels, while criticizing the expansion which massively revamped and improved level 1-60 content.

I guess many don't agree about the "improvement" part. Making everything linear and heavily phased is not an improvement in my book - nor is completely ruining areas like Loch Modan or even Darkshore.

----------------

• sketocafesketocafe StoupaPosts: 801Member Uncommon
    Does anyone know the breakdown on the $15 a month western subscribers and the Asian "subscribers" who don't pay a sub?
  • RydesonRydeson Canton, OHPosts: 3,858Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by lizardbones

I liked it better before, when you could actually do quests where you wanted in an area (and skip spots you disliked too) instead of being forced down one single path from the beginning of the area to the end.

Pretty much agree.. The game was always on rails to an extent, but at least you had multiple rails to jump around on.. But what I was told is they removed many of those rails, added in phasing (which gave it a single player game feel) and poof.. GONE.. I quit shortly before Cata and had no regrets.. Some of my gaming friends went back just to see the changes, but quit within 2 months for the same reasons..  No one went back to try MoP..  It was kind of a full me once, shame on you thing..

• TimothyTierlessTimothyTierless Columnist M, ORPosts: 2,163Member Uncommon

OMG even hamsters get bored eventually!

• AxehiltAxehilt San Francisco, CAPosts: 8,705Member Uncommon

I guess many don't agree about the "improvement" part. Making everything linear and heavily phased is not an improvement in my book - nor is completely ruining areas like Loch Modan or even Darkshore.

Really?  Silverpine went from being one of the worst zones in the game to one of my favorite zones.  The old quests in 1-60 content were really dated (even by late Vanilla they were dated.)

"Joe stated his case logically and passionately, but his perceived effeminate voice only drew big gales of stupid laughter..." -Idiocracy
    "There is only one good, knowledge, and one evil, ignorance." -Socrates

• bcbullybcbully Westland, MIPosts: 8,262Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Ikeda

Nadia,  I agree with you 100%.

Still, show me a MMO with even a quarter of the WoW subscription base.... Even at this point.

Age of  Wushu. 

• ArthasmArthasm LoznicaPosts: 754Member Uncommon

What's the big deal about sub drops?

• AysonoAysono Toronto, ONPosts: 164Member
    Their subs will continue to drop no matter what but they will actually make more money with 0 sub like many other online games developers and publishers. They just need to learn how.
  • bubalubabubaluba LjubljanaPosts: 434Member
    They will make wow 2 with next gen graphic. Blizzard is the only one that can save pc mmo's. There is not one  mmo close to success of wow. I think it is time for console mmo's like Destiny. Dream about EQN or what ever will fall down like any other
  • bcbullybcbully Westland, MIPosts: 8,262Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Arthasm
    Originally posted by bcbully

Still, show me a MMO with even a quarter of the WoW subscription base.... Even at this point.

Age of  Wushu. 

[mod edit]

Yeah 20 million players sub with f2p option. No sub = no gathering/craftin in the CN version.

• NaralNaral Solway, MNPosts: 751Member

These threads crack me up. People have been saying WoW is dying for years now, basically after each successively worse expansion pack.

At 7+ million subscribers after 10 years online, I doubt anyone is crying over 7 million subs at Blizzard.

What they should be crying about, is how hard it will be to replicate this act again. It sounds like, from the cuts, Titan may or may not be adding up to their formula. And releasing something WoW like in this herd of freemium games now, will be a challenge.

Blizzard ties up a LOT of money in their game development, and when WoW eventually succumbs (I think it still have years, personally--they could lose half their subs and be more profitable than any MMO on the market right now) the trick for them will be to try and hold on to this vast market share.

With, imo, lackluster releases of SC and DIablo III, Blizzard has a lot to prove at this point.

• Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter BristolPosts: 2,801Member Uncommon
    Why would a new player to MMORPGs/online games play WoW over the other 9027461724617658923656 MMORPGs and online games out there?

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• NagelRitterNagelRitter fewefw, CTPosts: 607Member
    Originally posted by Mdpats

I find it comical when someone blames ONE expansion for the decline in subs, haha.

That one expansion remodeled the whole Vanilla world...

I resubbed 4 months ago but quit after 2 weeks

I wanted to see the Panda content but I couldnt stomache leveling thru Cata

Cata is not fun

if a game is not fun - why bother?

This. A hundred times this. People at endgame may not care, but nobody wants to level through that...

Rift will follow...

Favorite MMO: Vanilla WoW
    Currently playing: GW2, EVE
    Excited for: Wildstar, maybe?

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148 1, NJPosts: 6,690Member
    WoW is pretty much done. No expansion is going to save them after the joke that was Mists of Pandaria. It is all about salvaging what you can and holding on to it for dear life now. Since Titan has been pushed back for atleast another 3 more years I see tough times for Blizzard unless they have one last trick under their sleeve left.  The only game worth playing now is Starcraft 2.
    Originally posted by Arthasm

Age of  Wushu. 

[mod edit]

Yeah 20 million players sub with f2p option. No sub = no gathering/craftin.

Can you please link press or official report that shows number of active subscribed players (not including f2p players, leechers, cause they don't make profit), but reports made in Q1/Q2 2013. not old PR bullcrap from June 2012.

Thanks.

Originally posted by ThomasN7
    WoW is pretty much done. No expansion is going to save them after the joke that was Mists of Pandaria. It is all about salvaging what you can and holding on to it for dear life now. Since Titan has been pushed back for atleast another 3 more years I see tough times for Blizzard unless they have one last trick under their sleeve left.  The only game worth playing now is Starcraft 2.

Ghostcrab said they made break from original Azeroth lore with Pandaria, they will bring it back in next expansion. I'm lore whore, I really hope they will fix damage what Pandaria done in next expansion, otherwise I couldn't swallow random story crap or easter eggs...

• RusqueRusque Las Vegas, NVPosts: 2,228Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by sketocafe
    Does anyone know the breakdown on the $15 a month western subscribers and the Asian "subscribers" who don't pay a sub?

I can't find a breakdown of types of subs on their financial statements (probably because money is money to accountants, whereas chinese subs are "fake" subs to internet trolls).

But the Blizzard segment of Acti-Blizz brought in $1,698,000,000 in net revenues in 2012 (and to keep that in perspective, Activision brought in $3,072,000,000 which is about double).

Acti-Blizz made $1,537,000,000 from digital online channels (which I assume subs are included) and $3,013,000,000 from retail channels again in 2012 (which I would assume includes all box sales, merchandise and such)

Ah, sorry I'm doing this in real time and I just found revenues by geographic location: Just to save me the zero's, there are all in millions:

North America $2,436 in 2012

Europe $1,968 in 2012

Asia Pacific $452 in 2012

So it seems Asia is their smallest market to date. Actually looking at the previous years, 2011 and 2010, it was significantly smaller before. pocket change compared to NA and EU.

And I just found online subs: $986,000,000 in 2012. Almost a biillion dollars, but it is a drop from previous years.

$1,357,000,000 in 2011 and $1,230,000,000 in 2010. Ouch. These subscriptions are a combination of WoW and CoD memberships.

In any case, if you are ever curious about a companies financials you can just google "name of company" and "financial report" and go through it.