Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Call the ambulance WoW under 8 million subs now

Comments

• sketocafesketocafe Member UncommonPosts: 950
    Does anyone know the breakdown on the $15 a month western subscribers and the Asian "subscribers" who don't pay a sub?
  • RydesonRydeson Member UncommonPosts: 3,852
    Originally posted by Jean-Luc_Picard
    Originally posted by lizardbones

Originally posted by Nadia WOW can gain subs again if they put out a new expansion with content for all levels (allowing players to avoid adventure content they dont like -- ie Cata)   EQ2 did something similar with Echos of Faydwer http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EverQuest_II:_Echoes_of_Faydwer
    That wouldn't repair the ruined linear world though...

Meh. The world's fine. It's just different now. I might have actually played my level 80 characters more than an hour if I hadn't had to go through the Cataclysm content though. Hurrgh, that was bad stuff.

I liked it better before, when you could actually do quests where you wanted in an area (and skip spots you disliked too) instead of being forced down one single path from the beginning of the area to the end.

Pretty much agree.. The game was always on rails to an extent, but at least you had multiple rails to jump around on.. But what I was told is they removed many of those rails, added in phasing (which gave it a single player game feel) and poof.. GONE.. I quit shortly before Cata and had no regrets.. Some of my gaming friends went back just to see the changes, but quit within 2 months for the same reasons..  No one went back to try MoP..  It was kind of a full me once, shame on you thing..

• AxehiltAxehilt Member RarePosts: 10,504

I guess many don't agree about the "improvement" part. Making everything linear and heavily phased is not an improvement in my book - nor is completely ruining areas like Loch Modan or even Darkshore.

Really?  Silverpine went from being one of the worst zones in the game to one of my favorite zones.  The old quests in 1-60 content were really dated (even by late Vanilla they were dated.)

"What is truly revealing is his implication that believing something to be true is the same as it being true. [continue]" -John Oliver

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Originally posted by Ikeda

Nadia,  I agree with you 100%.

Still, show me a MMO with even a quarter of the WoW subscription base.... Even at this point.

Age of  Wushu. 

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • ArthasmArthasm Member UncommonPosts: 785

What's the big deal about sub drops?

• AysonoAysono Member Posts: 164
    Their subs will continue to drop no matter what but they will actually make more money with 0 sub like many other online games developers and publishers. They just need to learn how.
  • bubalubabubaluba Member Posts: 434
    They will make wow 2 with next gen graphic. Blizzard is the only one that can save pc mmo's. There is not one  mmo close to success of wow. I think it is time for console mmo's like Destiny. Dream about EQN or what ever will fall down like any other
    Originally posted by Arthasm
    Originally posted by bcbully

Still, show me a MMO with even a quarter of the WoW subscription base.... Even at this point.

Age of  Wushu. 

[mod edit]

Yeah 20 million players sub with f2p option. No sub = no gathering/craftin in the CN version.

• NaralNaral Member UncommonPosts: 748

These threads crack me up. People have been saying WoW is dying for years now, basically after each successively worse expansion pack.

At 7+ million subscribers after 10 years online, I doubt anyone is crying over 7 million subs at Blizzard.

What they should be crying about, is how hard it will be to replicate this act again. It sounds like, from the cuts, Titan may or may not be adding up to their formula. And releasing something WoW like in this herd of freemium games now, will be a challenge.

Blizzard ties up a LOT of money in their game development, and when WoW eventually succumbs (I think it still have years, personally--they could lose half their subs and be more profitable than any MMO on the market right now) the trick for them will be to try and hold on to this vast market share.

With, imo, lackluster releases of SC and DIablo III, Blizzard has a lot to prove at this point.

• Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066
    Why would a new player to MMORPGs/online games play WoW over the other 9027461724617658923656 MMORPGs and online games out there?

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• NagelRitterNagelRitter Member Posts: 607
    Originally posted by Mdpats

I find it comical when someone blames ONE expansion for the decline in subs, haha.

That one expansion remodeled the whole Vanilla world...

Originally posted by Nadia

I resubbed 4 months ago but quit after 2 weeks

I wanted to see the Panda content but I couldnt stomache leveling thru Cata

Cata is not fun

if a game is not fun - why bother?

This. A hundred times this. People at endgame may not care, but nobody wants to level through that...

Rift will follow...

Favorite MMO: Vanilla WoW
    Currently playing: GW2, EVE
    Excited for: Wildstar, maybe?

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690
    WoW is pretty much done. No expansion is going to save them after the joke that was Mists of Pandaria. It is all about salvaging what you can and holding on to it for dear life now. Since Titan has been pushed back for atleast another 3 more years I see tough times for Blizzard unless they have one last trick under their sleeve left.  The only game worth playing now is Starcraft 2.

Age of  Wushu. 

[mod edit]

Yeah 20 million players sub with f2p option. No sub = no gathering/craftin.

Can you please link press or official report that shows number of active subscribed players (not including f2p players, leechers, cause they don't make profit), but reports made in Q1/Q2 2013. not old PR bullcrap from June 2012.

Thanks.

Originally posted by ThomasN7
    WoW is pretty much done. No expansion is going to save them after the joke that was Mists of Pandaria. It is all about salvaging what you can and holding on to it for dear life now. Since Titan has been pushed back for atleast another 3 more years I see tough times for Blizzard unless they have one last trick under their sleeve left.  The only game worth playing now is Starcraft 2.

Ghostcrab said they made break from original Azeroth lore with Pandaria, they will bring it back in next expansion. I'm lore whore, I really hope they will fix damage what Pandaria done in next expansion, otherwise I couldn't swallow random story crap or easter eggs...

• RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,785
    Originally posted by sketocafe
    Does anyone know the breakdown on the $15 a month western subscribers and the Asian "subscribers" who don't pay a sub?

I can't find a breakdown of types of subs on their financial statements (probably because money is money to accountants, whereas chinese subs are "fake" subs to internet trolls).

But the Blizzard segment of Acti-Blizz brought in $1,698,000,000 in net revenues in 2012 (and to keep that in perspective, Activision brought in $3,072,000,000 which is about double).

Acti-Blizz made $1,537,000,000 from digital online channels (which I assume subs are included) and $3,013,000,000 from retail channels again in 2012 (which I would assume includes all box sales, merchandise and such)

Ah, sorry I'm doing this in real time and I just found revenues by geographic location: Just to save me the zero's, there are all in millions:

North America $2,436 in 2012

Europe $1,968 in 2012

Asia Pacific $452 in 2012

So it seems Asia is their smallest market to date. Actually looking at the previous years, 2011 and 2010, it was significantly smaller before. pocket change compared to NA and EU.

And I just found online subs: $986,000,000 in 2012. Almost a biillion dollars, but it is a drop from previous years.

$1,357,000,000 in 2011 and $1,230,000,000 in 2010. Ouch. These subscriptions are a combination of WoW and CoD memberships.

In any case, if you are ever curious about a companies financials you can just google "name of company" and "financial report" and go through it.

Age of  Wushu. 

Are you F serious? 

Can you please link press or official report that shows number of active subscribed players (not including f2p players, leechers, cause they don't make profit), but reports made in Q1/Q2 2013. not old PR bullcrap from June 2012.

Thanks.

Snail is 1500 employee Indy. They do not answer to share holders with qt reports. A quick google search will give you the reported numbers. 

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818

Age of  Wushu. 

Are you F serious? 

Thanks.

You'll never win this one with him he's been told a thousand times registered users don't = paying players. He doesn't care he wants his game to have that many people so it has that many people. He wants AoW to be the biggest game in the world so it's the biggest game in the world.

• XithrylXithryl Member UncommonPosts: 256
    Originally posted by The1ceQueen
    I recently went back after a 2 year break. I choose not do the raid/arena gear grind this time around. Having fun again now that I am not too.

What are you doing in game? Honestly am curious not trying to be rude.

• FrostveinFrostvein Member UncommonPosts: 157

People that are trying to blame the games "downfall" on anything are being foolish.

Simply put, the game is 8-9 years old at this point and people are just getting tired of playing it.

Very few people play the SAME video game day in and day out for very long periods of time. The fact that it still has 8 million people this late in its life cycle is nothing short of amazing.

• ego13ego13 Member Posts: 267
    Originally posted by Xithryl
    Originally posted by The1ceQueen
    I recently went back after a 2 year break. I choose not do the raid/arena gear grind this time around. Having fun again now that I am not too.

What are you doing in game? Honestly am curious not trying to be rude.

I just subbed again, also, last week.

Leveling up, gearing up, with LFR it's not bad since you can just go in and you don't have to worry about who gets what.  Flexible raids coming soon so you can do that as well...plus with the new patch I'll be leveling up a new toon with all the heirlooms and since you'll be able to put any level enchant on any level item.

I've never understood those that want the game to be less intuitive and slower 'just because'.  Let me get through all the bs as fast as possible so I can enjoy the game (at the end).

Just because every car has similar features doesn't mean that Ferraris are copies of Model Ts. Progress requires failure and refining.

Originally posted by Cirin

I've never understood those that want the game to be less intuitive and slower 'just because'.  Let me get through all the bs as fast as possible so I can enjoy the game (at the end).

Let's just say WoW used to be a very different game...

Originally posted by NagelRitter

I've played it since beta....we can say whatever we want and, really, it was nice in BC but has never been "that different".

As I say every time someone brings this garbage up...Rose-tinted glasses.  Some can't seem to be critical enough of their own memories to even see past that.

Just because every car has similar features doesn't mean that Ferraris are copies of Model Ts. Progress requires failure and refining.

I've played it since beta....we can say whatever we want and, really, it was nice in BC but has never been "that different".

As I say every time someone brings this garbage up...Rose-tinted glasses.  Some can't seem to be critical enough of their own memories to even see past that.

Denying that cataclysm totally changed the world and made the leveling a totally linear experience with little to no room for improvisation is another form of colored vision.

If you think there was "choice" before you were fooling yourself.

Yes you could take multiple paths that were less efficient, great.  I tell you what, today when you drive to work (if you work) instead of heading right at the light...turn left, take the opposite way to work.  Yeah, it will take longer and you'll run into more traffic, you might be late, but it'll look different and that's important. 

We have choices all the time and yes you're right you had more of a choice then, however, there was still one predominant path to take each and every time.  Taking any other path was "scenic" but really only for the sake of being scenic.

I guess we find different things important to call something different. Vanilla was a much slower game where people didn't really rush to max level (that was quite painful), questing was open-ended and you could do whatever you want, the game was full of things like quests that made you go to other continents, it had class quests and dungeon quests, and the world wasn't empty...

1.12.1 is right over there, nothing rose tinted about something you can freely try. Maybe that's your issue - you haven't actually PLAYED it in a while so you forgot what it was like. I didn't believe it, either, because I have never played Vanilla WoW in its originality. But now I did. So you can't fool me with rose tinted glasses, and that never applied to me. 1.12.1 can actually rival many modern MMO's no problem.

We have choices all the time and yes you're right you had more of a choice then, however, there was still one predominant path to take each and every time.  Taking any other path was "scenic" but really only for the sake of being scenic.

Err, what path? You could quest in any order and the speed differences between some specific questing order is only noticeable to powerlevelers...

I guess we find different things important to call something different. Vanilla was a much slower game where people didn't really rush to max level (that was quite painful), questing was open-ended and you could do whatever you want, the game was full of things like quests that made you go to other continents, it had class quests and dungeon quests, and the world wasn't empty...

1.12.1 is right over there, nothing rose tinted about something you can freely try. Maybe that's your issue - you haven't actually PLAYED it in a while so you forgot what it was like. I didn't believe it, either, because I have never played Vanilla WoW in its originality. But now I did. So you can't fool me with rose tinted glasses, and that never applied to me. 1.12.1 can actually rival many modern MMO's no problem.

Err, what path? You could quest in any order and the speed differences between some specific questing order is only noticeable to powerlevelers...

Every game starts at end game.

The journey is really only there to facilitate the skills required to be competent at max level.  I'm not saying you're wrong but I don't play games to "escape"...it's a hobby I enjoy but I don't need it to 'emulate life' or be beautiful or anything like that.  I want character development and fun.  I don't enjoy grinding for hours for no reason at all and I have plenty of social interaction outside of the game so I don't run to it for that either (although guildies/friends are great when you want to raid/instance/dungeon/whatever).

Yes, I imagine we're seeking different things.  I'm seeking a game to play, that's enjoyable, where I can develop my character, etc..  I do hate some of the choices made (simplified talent trees?), however , I understand some of the design choices based on the other complexities; reforging, gemming, leveling of gear, etc..  I would prefer an even more complex system with more varied and meaningful choices, but nothing like that really exists so sometimes you have to settle for what's available until the next arrives.