Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Imagine EVE as a third-person fantasy MMO with action combat

1235»

Comments

• madazzmadazz Member RarePosts: 2,107
    Originally posted by frizzlepickle
    Originally posted by Apraxis
    Originally posted by DocBrody

OP

you are talking about EQ Next?

Of course not. EQ Next will never anything like EvE. Sadly. At least i would be very surprised.

I find it so silly that people are honestly making judgments on a game that hasn't even been announced yet...

Its been announced... to the press and public.

*edit - according to the article as far back as 2010.

http://www.giantbomb.com/everquest-next/3030-32284/

• frizzlepicklefrizzlepickle Member Posts: 72
    Originally posted by madazz

OP

Of course not. EQ Next will never anything like EvE. Sadly. At least i would be very surprised.

I find it so silly that people are honestly making judgments on a game that hasn't even been announced yet...

Let me rephrase then, WE KNOW NOTHING ABOUT IT YET other than sandbox and Everquest. The fact that people like yourself are already moaning about the game is just proof that most MMO players are just whiny cynics with nostalgia goggles sewed onto their faces. Kind of a sad thing really...

• DraemosDraemos Member UncommonPosts: 1,521
    Originally posted by Jean-Luc_Picard
    Mhhh the production quality of Darkfall and its sequel are abysmally bad compared to the production quality of EvE, even back at release. There's a reason why EvE is close to having 500k players while the Darkfall series never passed even 50k (10% of eve). More people would play Darkfall if it was more of a sandbox and less of a gank fest, but also if it had higher production quality.

Production quality = quality of the engine, of the graphics, of the animations, of the audio, of the world/universe design, of game mechanics, of content design and of course the absence of bugs, lag and other issues.

Darkfall:UW has made SOME progress compared to the first on some aspects, the animations and audio are still horrible but at least you don't see the sun through the floor anymore, but concerning game mechanics and content design...

Granted, EVE had it easier because of the space based design, but they got it right with things like their security levels.

PS: note that I'm neither an EVE nor a DF / DF:UW fan, so I'm quite neutral here.

Negative.  Eve is what Eve largely because it released in 2003 and there was very little to no competition and no expectations.  Especially for a Sci-Fi space sim.  Had Darkfall released in 2003, it wouldn't have been held to anywhere near the same standards as it was when actually released.

That's what Eve looked like in 2004.  Did you actually play it when it released?  It was atrocious to look at, animations where nearly non-existant, the UI was nowhere near what it is today, and there was almost no tools to shape the sand in the sandbox with.

CCP has did a good  job with keeping Eve cutting edge and developing it into something special, but don't pretend like Eve could release today like it did in 2003 and that the company would have anywhere near the same success.  They would be eviscerated for a half-assed and terrible product, the same as Darkfall was.

Originally posted by madazz

OP

I'm pretty sure he meant that absolutely no information whatsoever has been released on it, other than it's name and that it's a sandbox game.  

It is pretty ludicrous how people are hyping a game that doesn't even have any in-game footage.  And it's Sony ffs, you'd think that people would atleast have a little bit of self control.

Originally posted by Attend4455
    Originally posted by Bidwood

So in other words...  massive sandbox with a healthy population of PVE and PVP players. But with swords, magic, castles, etc.

Thoughts?

My thought is ... World of Darkness :)

I hope you still  like playing videogames when your in the old-folks home.  You're going to have a long wait on that game.

• Attend4455Attend4455 Member Posts: 161
    Originally posted by Draemos

So in other words...  massive sandbox with a healthy population of PVE and PVP players. But with swords, magic, castles, etc.

Thoughts?

I hope you still  like playing videogames when your in the old-folks home.  You're going to have a long wait on that game.

do you have any specific reason for thinking that it will be significantly delayed?

I sometimes make spelling and grammar errors but I don't pretend it's because I'm using a phone

• f1sebf1seb Member UncommonPosts: 194
    You mean to tell me there aren't enough games with magic, elves, and dwarfs already? 
  • uplink4242uplink4242 Member UncommonPosts: 258
    Originally posted by f1seb
    You mean to tell me there aren't enough games with magic, elves, and dwarfs already? 

Clearly not enough yet.

And to be honest, I have a hard time seeing how most of eve mechanics would make sense on a realm of swords and magic, or anything remotely close to them.

Originally posted by Draemos

Thoughts?

do you have any specific reason for thinking that it will be significantly delayed?

Full time production supposedly started in 2006.  It's 2013 and there is almost zero information about the game, no gameplay, no nothing; just a physics demo that was 90% more for WIS in Eve than it was for WoD.  

If you have made that little progress in 7-8 years, when the average full turn production on building an engine and game from scratch to launch is normally between 4-5 years... shit's not looking good.

At this rate, they'll be in a perpetual cycle of having to update their tech because their taking too long to utilize it.