Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What if EQN releases on the 6th of August?

ReskenResken Member Posts: 10

No seriously, what if?

If you think about it...it would be one hell of a marketing strategy.

Anyone who follows MMORPGS will likely watch the reveal on the 2nd of August and if at this reveal they announce that it will be in stores the 6th they will likely have a very HUGE turnout in box sales because of this hype they've been building for months and months.

I think if they indeed release the game on Aug 6th it would be probably the most brilliant marketing strategy ever. People will impulse buy on the hype alone.

Also, SOE did say in the black box video "The Black Box Opens August 6th" Maybe the EQN box is black, and they're making a reference to it being OPENED by us on the 6th! The 6th is after all a Tuesday and most new releases come out then.

Wrong or Right, The anticipation for this game is killing me!!! Is it just me or is this last week going by so insanely slow!

Comments

• RamanadjinnRamanadjinn Member UncommonPosts: 1,365

Its possible but, box sales?

Do we not know for certain that this is going to be a free game?

Either way, if it releases on the 6th i'll be playing it then or as soon as i can.  I'll be there to ride the hype train all the way to its destination, whether that is wow-killer ultimate success savior of the genre town or just a brick wall that it splatters into.

• ReskenResken Member Posts: 10

I thought it won't be subscription based, and thus free. But like GW2 you've gotta buy the box.

maybe i'm wrong?

• KalderathKalderath Member UncommonPosts: 8
    If it does release on the 6th, there will be some heavy traffic on those servers.
  • AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521
    Originally posted by Ramanadjinn

Its possible but, box sales?

Do we not know for certain that this is going to be a free game?

Either way, if it releases on the 6th i'll be playing it then or as soon as i can.  I'll be there to ride the hype train all the way to its destination, whether that is wow-killer ultimate success savior of the genre town or just a brick wall that it splatters into.

There's a PAX East interview with Dave (also Brasse) and he said that it would be F2P like the other SoE games.  I'll also be a crash test dummy if it releases on the 6th and will be ecstatic.

• LokeroLokero Member RarePosts: 1,514

Well, in the sense of server stress, it'd be a smart move.  Less people would be slamming the servers with such short notice.  But, in the marketing department, it'd be a big snafu.  And, I am sure it would enrage alot of people who missed the release/launch date because they had no warning.

Pros and Cons-wise it'd be downright foolish(from my point of view).  I wouldn't be surprised to see an instant beta storm right after SOE Live though.

• ZzadZzad Member UncommonPosts: 1,401

I wouldn´t buy the game without testing it.

We haven´t even seen the game yet...

They are not going to make me buy vaporwear in 2 trailers...not in a MMO.

If they are launching August 6th they better start their marketing machine NOW!

:D

• fyerwallfyerwall Member UncommonPosts: 3,240

What if?

I can tell you what will happen...

A lot of people will call in sick to work, camp the download page and hang out on the forums complaining about the download site crashing every 10 seconds. Then there will be panic on the forums as the servers dump every 5 minutes, with each post getting more aggressive as the day drags on and people caffeine levels start to reach critical. Across the globe several hundred keyboards will be smashed in fits of rage, children will go hungry because mommy/daddy is unwilling to move from the desk because the second they do, the login page will come back up for a several second window before crashing again. People will be lining up in emergency rooms across the US with head trauma due to slamming their heads on their keyboards out of aggravation. Others will be there with concussions due to gaming mice being turned into projectiles as loved ones went into fits of rage due to the server dropping them in the middle of a fight...

Economies will collapse...

Wars will break out...

Millions will perish...

Civilization as we know it will cease to be.

In all seriousness though, It would be pretty cool if they launched on the 6th. Seeing as they are doing F2P, they wouldn't have to actually sell any boxes and could theoretically do it. Hopefully they give us a launch date on 8/2. And hopefully they are prepared as best as they can be for their launch.

There are 3 types of people in the world.
    1.) Those who make things happen
    2.) Those who watch things happen
    3.) And those who wonder "What the %#*& just happened?!"

• IadienIadien Member UncommonPosts: 638
    Originally posted by Zzad
    I wouldn´t buy it without testing it.

Good news, the game will be F2P.

• BidwoodBidwood Member Posts: 554
    It would be great. That way you PC gamers can beta test the game for me before the polished game launches on PS4 day one. =)
  • mjr727mjr727 Member UncommonPosts: 22

Wow that would be awesome to see the game available on the 6th, but no way in hell.

There is so much hype left in the tank, collectors editions to bait in front of us.  Don't expect anything before Nov./Dec.

• zevni78zevni78 Member UncommonPosts: 1,146

No way could it be Aug 6th, lets not forget that all the hype has been blind speculation, who knows how many hyped right now will not like the actual game when it is revealed on the 2nd, and of those how many will need months of trailers, screenshots, gameplay footage, dev diaries and feature lists before they are sold, look how long it is taking to win people over to ESO or W*.

SOE know they have a risky product, saying its sandbox could mean many different things, certain definitions do not match what a lot of fans clearly want, and outside of old-school-ers a lot of themeparkers will need to be convinced.

Launching with limited warning is not a guarantee of a low pop at launch that they can comfortably build up, word gets around fast and they cannot predict how many will try to log on as there is no price barrier.

• TelondarielTelondariel Member Posts: 1,001
    Originally posted by Resken

No seriously, what if?

Anyone who follows MMORPGS will likely watch the reveal on the 2nd of August and if at this reveal they announce that it will be in stores the 6th they will likely have a very HUGE turnout in box sales because of this hype they've been building for months and months.

I think if they indeed release the game on Aug 6th it would be probably the most brilliant marketing strategy ever. People will impulse buy on the hype alone.

Also, SOE did say in the black box video "The Black Box Opens August 6th" Maybe the EQN box is black, and they're making a reference to it being OPENED by us on the 6th! The 6th is after all a Tuesday and most new releases come out then.

Wrong or Right, The anticipation for this game is killing me!!! Is it just me or is this last week going by so insanely slow!

I have a large box of straws beside me.  Would you like to grab for another handful?

I'm pretty sure the reference is to Beta.  It has been talked about before.

• apb2011apb2011 Member UncommonPosts: 168
    Sounds schizophrenic.
  • RazperilRazperil Member Posts: 289
    Originally posted by Resken

No seriously, what if?

It won't be in August, I can guarantee that. If anything, it will closer to the holidays. I know we all are excited about it, let's not get too far ahead of ourselves with speculations. The Black box might tell us an actual planned date or planned beta. Why don't we just wait and see what surprises they have in store? :)

"Players will have to wait a bit longer to try it themselves, but maybe not as long as you'd expect. 'Players will get their hands on an actual release version of what we're doing late [this] year - and I don't mean a beta,' says Smedley."

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/184805/MMO_devs_will_lose_the_fight_against_content_churn_says_SOEs_Smedley.php#.UQEy9Sf7J8E

• TelondarielTelondariel Member Posts: 1,001
    Originally posted by Bidwood

"Players will have to wait a bit longer to try it themselves, but maybe not as long as you'd expect. 'Players will get their hands on an actual release version of what we're doing late [this] year - and I don't mean a beta,' says Smedley."

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/184805/MMO_devs_will_lose_the_fight_against_content_churn_says_SOEs_Smedley.php#.UQEy9Sf7J8E

This has been discussed ad nauseum in multiple threads.  Again, speculation based on cryptic messages.

Originally posted by Telondariel

This has been discussed ad nauseum in multiple threads.  Again, speculation based on cryptic messages.

You think the idea that players will get their hands on a release version this year is cryptic? What about that is cryptic?

You think the idea that players will get their hands on a release version this year is cryptic? What about that is cryptic?

The biased, hype-driving person saying it ;)

Well, it may not sound "cryptic" but it certainly isn't a confirmation, either.  And, he said that quite a while back, and we all know how often MMOs get delayed and pushed back, in addition.

So, it's suspect in several ways.  The guy is clearly passionate about getting it out there, but his excitement and in-mind goal date don't mean it'll actually happen.

Originally posted by Lokero

Well, it may not sound "cryptic" but it certainly isn't a confirmation, either.  And, he said that quite a while back, and we all know how often MMOs get delayed and pushed back, in addition.

So, it's suspect in several ways.  The guy is clearly passionate about getting it out there, but his excitement and in-mind goal date don't mean it'll actually happen.

So what's "confirmation" to you if not the president of the company saying it's going to happen?

• KwanseiKwansei Member UncommonPosts: 334
    August 6th is Hiroshima day , and also my birthday ... Oddly enough I once knew a Japanese bloke whose birthday was on Pearl Harbor day.. We used to drink and forgive each other a lot 
  • BigmamajamaBigmamajama Member Posts: 198

An MMO of this size with no closed or open beta, sure.

So many fantasy posts showing up here lately.

Originally posted by Lokero

So what's "confirmation" to you if not the president of the company saying it's going to happen?

Nothing, until there's a date set in stone ;)  How many times do we see release dates and confirmations of release dates get rescinded and pushed back?  Answer: Almost every single MMO has a delay of some kind.

I definitely believe Smedley's goal is to release this year, but that doesn't mean some unforeseen issue won't arise to prevent it.  So, it's more of a "believe it when I see it" thing with these games.  Like I was saying, just because that's his goal doesn't mean they'll actually achieve it(Smedley isn't single-handedly designing and building the game, he has to rely on many other people).

• SinakuSinaku Member UncommonPosts: 552

This would go against the "standard" of what most MMOs including SOE do. Closed beta 1-3, open beta, stress test, release. I haven't seen any gameplay so I personally wouldnt drop my money on a game that was forced to be launched early.

• DullahanDullahan Member EpicPosts: 4,536
    I'd say no chance of launch, but a chance of some form of beta.

• grimfallgrimfall Member UncommonPosts: 1,153
    Originally posted by Dullahan
    I'd say no chance of launch, but a chance of some form of beta.

I'd say no chance of either.  You have to, you know, recruit players to beta, and set them up.  A beta signup is about as far as they can get by Aug 6th, unless it's a browser based game with little download, then you could in theory have the fanfast players beta testing it by Tuesday.  Tuesday is probably just the day the web page really goes up, a few days after the hard core fans had their time to enjoy the exclusivity of being at the SOE Fanfest.