Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

i actually didn't believe it

aspekxaspekx Member UncommonPosts: 2,167

my brother and i decided on a whim to play SWTOR together.

we have both highly enjoyed the ability to do quests together, the storyline, even all the cutscenes.

to be frank the combat is average, and once we saw the post-10 skill trees in direct imitation of another game's we just laughed and shook our heads.

but these are things that vary and we are enjoying ourselves so far. its a lot of fun to run all of these quests together as Jedi.

the one real sticking point we are having is EA's F2P setup. this has to be the most ridiculous, penny pinching, and stingy system. it seems bent on punishing you for playing F2P not enticing you to pay more or even subscribe. its bad enough that its actually turning us off from the game.

dont get me wrong we pay for things in games. we have been subscribers, we have even paid for crazy stuff in F2P games like WoT's. but honestly, as i said we dont feel enticed at all. at every turn where we run into the peculiar restrictions that EA has created and we react with mutual disgust.

EA, i honestly wasnt so sure that all the negative press about your F2P was accurate and not simply the report of the bitter and disappointed. i know you're not listening, but if you were you should reconsider your marketing. the object is to make people *want* to spend money, not punish them for being F2P.

"There are at least two kinds of games.
One could be called finite, the other infinite.
A finite game is played for the purpose of winning,
an infinite game for the purpose of continuing play."
Finite and Infinite Games, James Carse

Comments

• simpliussimplius Member UncommonPosts: 1,134

of course its stingy,,swtor barely escaped being shut Down

they need,,and want, every cent, they can get

but hey,,at least they got the rights to all new star wars games

instead of fixing the game, that they already have, they decided to Lock the IP Down from other

Companies to use it

and im sure , that you swtor fans also agree on this long term strategy

they want to destroy all good PC games, so we have to buy their console games

• FrostveinFrostvein Member UncommonPosts: 157
    Originally posted by simplius

Console games are actually a pretty good deal if you are patient about it.

Just make a list and every time a new game comes out you want, add it to it. After a few months or a year or whatever, you can get them new or used off of Amazon for under 10 bucks, usually with free shipping.

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    Originally posted by Frostvein

After a few months or a year or whatever, you can get them new or used off of Amazon for under 10 bucks, usually with free shipping.

Xbone, anyone? :)

For the title, TOR's f2p is much better now than it was right after the conversion - if you play it only for the story, I mean. The only real barrier you keep stumble upon is the xp restriction, because TOR's leveling course is pretty balanced, with a nice flow. When EA restricted the xp, they shotted this flow in the kneecap, with a shotgun... It's breaking up the game, as well the story.

Not to mention it's a bit funny if you're on the light side :)

"ok, now I'll go and butcher hundreds of those [anything that comes in the way].

-But you're a Jedi!  I think they must be very evil if you have no other option than kill them all.

-Nah, I only need the xp for the game allows me to get my next mission...."

• LizardKing89LizardKing89 Member UncommonPosts: 61
    EA is a horrible money grubbing company that ruined this game that had so much promise and Lucas arts has poor judgement who they give their license to.  First SOE then EA two of the worst mmo publishers out there.  It's a shame too because Bioware created a decent game too bad they were hamstrung by the suits at EA.
  • JRVthatsMEJRVthatsME Member Posts: 17
    Actually Bioware began work on SWTOR in 2006 and was aquired by EA in 2007 (in what looks like a sneaky move when they bought the gaming partnership Bioware was part of, likely because EA wanted to get there hands on SWTOR). There may have been many thing different in SWTOR if EA had never gotten their hands on Bioware. Lucas Arts did not pick EA to team up with to make SWTOR.
    Originally posted by Frostvein

Console games are actually a pretty good deal if you are patient about it.

Just make a list and every time a new game comes out you want, add it to it. After a few months or a year or whatever, you can get them new or used off of Amazon for under 10 bucks, usually with free shipping.

i know..console games drop in value so fast, its ridiculous

another point , for not buying them.. i have tons of good PC games, that i hardly play

why would i want stacks of unused console games added to them?

and how many good strategy games are console?

AFAIK , console is for people , who play shorter periods of time

compare that, to doing 32 hours of wow in one go

• ImperialSunImperialSun Member Posts: 212

instead of fixing the game, that they already have, they decided to Lock the IP Down from other

Companies to use it

I think even for you, someone who spits venom at SWTOR in every.single.thread that's a bit of a lie...

"barely escaped being shut down"?? I assume you have a reliable source for this info? Didn't think so.....must be just more bile and hatred towards a game that you personally dislike, don't play but seem to spend an inordinate amount of time bashing on a forum....

Driz

• DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873

Companies to use it

Still making stuff up as you go? 

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

• TeknoBugTeknoBug Member UncommonPosts: 2,156

Of course SWTOR's F2P model is stingy, it's one of the worst I've seen. I remember EA/Bioware boasting about how they had 1.7 million players (not likely active players) then saying "we need 500K to survive" then suddenly the game goes F2P with all these crazy restrictions and free cartel coins offered to preferred players but the catch was to subscribe to obtain those cartel coins. I still have 6900 cartel coins waiting for me and I haven't subbed since then.

Originally posted by ImperialSun

Companies to use it

I think even for you, someone who spits venom at SWTOR in every.single.thread that's a bit of a lie...

"barely escaped being shut down"?? I assume you have a reliable source for this info? Didn't think so.....must be just more bile and hatred towards a game that you personally dislike, don't play but seem to spend an inordinate amount of time bashing on a forum....

Driz

so..they have an expensive game, with the biggest ip..but they decide to give it away for free, because...?

if they arrest a politician with a bag full of Cash, i dont believe him either

• RamanadjinnRamanadjinn Member UncommonPosts: 1,365

so..they have an expensive game, with the biggest ip..but they decide to give it away for free, because...?

To be fair, they don't give it away for free.

They give it away for cash shop exposure, which has an effective real dollar value per individual person.

Still, I personally am not going to ever argue whether the game was a great success or not.

• TeknoBugTeknoBug Member UncommonPosts: 2,156

At least in some F2P (like GW2) lets you buy items, expanded bank space and inventory space with ingame money but you can only do it via Cartel in SWTOR. Not to mention stuff that existed before it went F2P like hide head slot, unify colors, etc.

• jck87jck87 Member UncommonPosts: 54

To be honest I think the system works fine due to the fact that you can pay for nearly all cartelshop items using the ingame currency. They are frequently auctioned in the so called galactic market allowing you to buy almost all unlocks (including HK) with the exception of the makeb expansion. Sure the items are usually expensive to buy with ingame currency but it is possible and I have pretty much everything unlocked. The only thing you cannot unlock permanently is the currency cap, you have to buy back the credits from escrow and those are extremely expensive on the auction. Fortunatly the cap is high enough that you will be able to buy all gear except end game gear. As for the xp rate even on free to play it is quite fast. If you do all the side quests you can usually even skip a planet you dont like and just focus on the story there to continue on to the next.

I've enjoyed my time on SWTOR, but I admit it is the story what really sets the game apart. The gameplay apart from that is more or less the same as most other MMO´s only in star wars setting with a plus for the voice acting. So far I've completed the game twice (one republic, one empire) as f2p without being too bothered by the restrictions. Buying a crew skill unlock from the auction (not too expensive) and purple gear unlock (very expensive, but can be unlocked with a lot of effort) is highly recommended though.

• RydesonRydeson Member UncommonPosts: 3,852
    Originally posted by LizardKing89
    EA is a horrible money grubbing company that ruined this game that had so much promise and Lucas arts has poor judgement who they give their license to.  First SOE then EA two of the worst mmo publishers out there.  It's a shame too because Bioware created a decent game too bad they were hamstrung by the suits at EA.

oh no.. you're not letting Bioware off that easy..  Bioware was equally greedy in wanting the bling..  They knew well in advance that most MMORPG players did not want KoTOR 2, but they made it anyways..  The story driven 4th pillar was ALL Bioware, and it failed..  Both SWG and SWTOR had the wrong devs with poor vision.. To this day I'm still baffled how an IP like Star Wars fails..  It doesn't get any more attractive then that if you are looking for a lucrative IP.. This is like having a cheat sheet for a test and still flunking..... WTF?  lmao

• jerlot65jerlot65 Member UncommonPosts: 788
    Originally posted by Rydeson

oh no.. you're not letting Bioware off that easy..  Bioware was equally greedy in wanting the bling..  They knew well in advance that most MMORPG players did not want KoTOR 2, but they made it anyways..  The story driven 4th pillar was ALL Bioware, and it failed..  Both SWG and SWTOR had the wrong devs with poor vision.. To this day I'm still baffled how an IP like Star Wars fails..  It doesn't get any more attractive then that if you are looking for a lucrative IP.. This is like having a cheat sheet for a test and still flunking..... WTF?  lmao

I don't think Bioware made KOTOR 2........

• VladamyreVladamyre Member UncommonPosts: 223
    Originally posted by Ramanadjinn

To be fair, they don't give it away for free.

They give it away for cash shop exposure, which has an effective real dollar value per individual person.

Still, I personally am not going to ever argue whether the game was a great success or not.

Let me help you with the whole point of the game being a great success or not. The game had over 2.3 million box sales at release and pre-orders. After 2 months they had 1.7 million subscribers. After 6 months they had less then 600k subs. If you lose over 75% of your playerbase within 6 months something is wrong. The game was a huge failure, I highly doubt it will last another 3 years, but that is just my opinion. We all know the statement about opinions too though, lol.

In a world of sharp knives, you would be a spoon.

• zevianzevian Member UncommonPosts: 403
    Originally posted by jerlot65

It was Obsidian,  It was a pretty fun game and good follow up to 1,  However i think we all wanted Kotor 3 not this mmo version.

• VarthanderVarthander Member UncommonPosts: 466

interesting, a few weeks ago me and my girl started playing this game (as f2p users) for now we are having fun and for the moment we had Cero temptation to use real money, also we didnt have the feeling that we are being retricted for being f2p users, except the final loot of the flashpoints.

Also, because the skill tree its similar to other mmo's doesnt make it worse or even a copy, what do you want a circular talent tree? or rectangular, what i mean is that the functionality is what matters, not how it looks like.

Also i was a former subscriber in the early day's of SWTOR, so i can see perfectly all the restrictions (experience,loot,credits) and still i dont find it really excesive.

• RydesonRydeson Member UncommonPosts: 3,852
    Originally posted by jerlot65

I was only speaking of metaphorically in a way about KOTOR 2..  My point is that Bioware was all about single player games, whether it be KOTOR or Dragon Age.. Bioware wanted and tried to sell us a single player RPG on steroids with a subscription model and it faliled.. Even I wrote here on mmorpg.com that it sounded like another Dragon Age game with Star Wars theme, and was told repeatively that Bioware wouldn't do that to the genre..  uh huh.. 

• observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685
    Originally posted by TeknoBug

At least in some F2P (like GW2) lets you buy items, expanded bank space and inventory space with ingame money but you can only do it via Cartel in SWTOR. Not to mention stuff that existed before it went F2P like hide head slot, unify colors, etc.

GW2 is not f2p.  You must purchase the game in order to play.  I hate when people say this.  TSW is also buy to play (b2p).  SWTOR is f2p, Rift is f2p, EQ2 is f2p, etc.   Free-to-play means there is no initial payment to play.  Anyone can download the software and then play for free.  You cannot do this in GW2 or TSW (as far as i know, it's still b2p).

As to the topic.  Swtor is the most restrictive MMO i've ever tried.  I like to believe that it turned more people off than it actually brought them in to play.  Restrictions on hotbars, character creation, unify colors feature.  I mean seriously?  Was it necessary to restrict every little thing that would actually make the game better for new players?