Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Graphics Cards.

2»

Comments

• EvilMixEvilMix Member Posts: 251
    Ah, I see. Thanks for clearing that up. Overclocking is no good for longevity, correct?
  • RaunuRaunu Member UncommonPosts: 480

AMD is due to reveal their 9000 series cards very soon. You'd do well to wait until some of the cards have been released to see the performance and to see NVidia's reaction.

Overclocking shouldn't reduce the life of your components at all as long as you have sufficient cooling. If you're using stock coolers on your CPU, don't overclock.

- - "What if the hokey pokey really is what it's all about?" - -

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856
    GPU has to be msi-x compliant s o all the rest of your computer .this mean everything has to be pci3 .the pcie3 network card the GPU the CPU etc.if you naught proper gear?window 8 will detect automatically and enable msi-x.might need to ask gov maraj(channel 9 weekly show )q&a .he ll consult and suggest witch maker will make everything.I suspect Intel might be the only one but I ainst sure .
  • ZezdaZezda Member UncommonPosts: 686
    Originally posted by drbaltazar
    GPU has to be msi-x compliant s o all the rest of your computer .this mean everything has to be pci3 .the pcie3 network card the GPU the CPU etc.if you naught proper gear?window 8 will detect automatically and enable msi-x.might need to ask gov maraj(channel 9 weekly show )q&a .he ll consult and suggest witch maker will make everything.I suspect Intel might be the only one but I ainst sure .

Anyone else get the feelng that drbaltazar just learned what MSI-X is this week?

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505
    Originally posted by GwapoJosh
    Originally posted by Quizzical

I agree with the 770.. I have a 670 and it still is amazing.  The 770 price is awesome and it kicks my cards ass.  770 ftw..

I would not say the 770 kicks the 670s ass... it is slightly better yes but nothing amazing..
     but the 770 is prob the best mid range card on the market at the moment.. but if you dont have the cash for that then stepping back to the 670 wont be a bad option..

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383

Originally posted by EvilMix
    Thanks guys. I'm not really looking to upgrade the PSU atm because I have no clue how I would being to rebuild my PC haha. I can pretty much replace ram and a video card, other than that I'm useless.

Current power supply is fine

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Antec/HCG-620M/10.html

It could handle mild overclocks (anything you can get without tweaking on voltage), even with the additional power draw of a 770GTX. If you started pushing voltage on it, you may want something bigger.

Replacing the power supply is a matter of the 4 screws holding it in, and unplugging the old power cords, and plugging the new ones back in.

Easy technically, the only hard part is getting all the damn cables to look pretty and stay out of the way (lots of zipties)

• NamelessCNamelessC Member UncommonPosts: 26
    How much are you will to spend on your graphic card? What is your price range?
    Originally posted by NamelessC
    How much are you will to spend on your graphic card? What is your price range?

$1000 Or so. I mean I would've bought the Titan but apparently it's just not worth it for it's price atm.

Originally posted by Ridelynn

Thanks guys. I'm not really looking to upgrade the PSU atm because I have no clue how I would being to rebuild my PC haha. I can pretty much replace ram and a video card, other than that I'm useless.

It could handle mild overclocks (anything you can get without tweaking on voltage), even with the additional power draw of a 770GTX. If you started pushing voltage on it, you may want something bigger.

Replacing the power supply is a matter of the 4 screws holding it in, and unplugging the old power cords, and plugging the new ones back in.

Easy technically, the only hard part is getting all the damn cables to look pretty and stay out of the way (lots of zipties)

Thanks, will the PSU make a difference in performance anyways?

I always thought of a PSU as an annoying thing you need to change when upgrading to better parts.

• jdnewelljdnewell Member UncommonPosts: 2,237
    Originally posted by Ridelynn

I always thought of a PSU as an annoying thing you need to change when upgrading to better parts.

Will a PSU give you better fps? decrease load times? or generally speed up a system? NO

But it is what powers the entire computer. Without sufficient power the computer itself will not run, or will run poorly with many errors until it finally wont anymore. At which point you may have damaged other components.

Buying a good PSU is a wise decision overall.

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,353
    Originally posted by Caldrin
    Originally posted by GwapoJosh

I agree with the 770.. I have a 670 and it still is amazing.  The 770 price is awesome and it kicks my cards ass.  770 ftw..

I would not say the 770 kicks the 670s ass... it is slightly better yes but nothing amazing..
     but the 770 is prob the best mid range card on the market at the moment.. but if you dont have the cash for that then stepping back to the 670 wont be a bad option..

The GTX 770 is basically a GTX 680 clocked higher.  They're both the same chip as a GTX 670, but the GTX 670 disables part of the chip, while the GTX 770 and 680 keep the whole thing functional.  And just to confuse you, they're also the same chip as a GTX 660 Ti, GTX 760, and some versions of a GTX 660.  And that's just the desktop parts; in laptops, the chip has a bunch of entirely different names yet.

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,353

Outside of some weird cases where you have a really bad power supply causing other parts to overheat, the power supply will never affect benchmark scores.  Rather, the power supply is the difference between "computer works properly", "computer sometimes crashes on you", and "computer is completely dead".  Higher quality power supplies mean that you're more likely to get "works properly" and less likely to get the others, but there are diminishing returns.  The difference between a 70% chance that a power supply will fry things and a 10% chance is enormously important.  The difference between a 10% chance of frying things and 2% also matters.  But how much is the difference between 2% and 1% worth?  And you can never have a 100% chance that everything works quite right.

Outside of some weird cases where you have a really bad power supply causing other parts to overheat, the power supply will never affect benchmark scores.  Rather, the power supply is the difference between "computer works properly", "computer sometimes crashes on you", and "computer is completely dead".  Higher quality power supplies mean that you're more likely to get "works properly" and less likely to get the others, but there are diminishing returns.  The difference between a 70% chance that a power supply will fry things and a 10% chance is enormously important.  The difference between a 10% chance of frying things and 2% also matters.  But how much is the difference between 2% and 1% worth?  And you can never have a 100% chance that everything works quite right.

Ah, I see. Thanks for clearing that up bud.

• alexnobalexnob Member Posts: 3
    Anyone have a suggestion/? Till now, I've just used GeForce but I do not get satisfied so much!!
  • miguksarammiguksaram Member UncommonPosts: 835
    Originally posted by alexnob
    Anyone have a suggestion/? Till now, I've just used GeForce but I do not get satisfied so much!!

Could you be a bit more specific?  Geforce is a brand name for a line of Nvidia GPU's not an actual card itself.  Which cards from Geforce have you used and felt unsatisfied with?  Assuming you are wanting it for gaming the only other real choice in today's market is something from AMD's Radeon line-up.  However which company offers a better card is highly dependent on the price point vs performance level you are looking at.