Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why Do I Find Rift Bland?

Comments

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194

Yeah, Rift is a bit shallow, but it is free and it's revenue model is reasonable (AKA you are no forced to buy anything)

I am playing it until something better (EQNext) comes out.

• DraemosDraemos Member UncommonPosts: 1,521
    Originally posted by furbans

Most likely you are just tired of WoW themeparhook somet for me was just too much a rehash of WoW which I played for years, game might be great but for me it's too much of the same ol' same ol'.  For me I suppose I am just to tired of WoW or WoW clones.  GW2 I have fun with because the combat and mechanics are completely different.Sounds like you simpely tired of the typical WoW based themeparl MMOs.

Nah, Rift is just super generic.Technically its a good solid game, but its just so bland that it doesnt hook some people.
  • RevofireRevofire Member UncommonPosts: 269
    Originally posted by furbans

Most likely you are just tired of WoW themepark MMOs.  Rift for me was just too much a rehash of WoW which I played for years, game might be great but for me it's too much of the same ol' same ol'.  For me I suppose I am just to tired of WoW or WoW clones.  GW2 I have fun with because the combat and mechanics are completely different.

Sounds like you simpely tired of the typical WoW based themeparl MMOs.

WoW has ancient combat, meant to have been evolved long ago but no one did that so everyone copied off WoW and this happened, try GW2 maybe or so on. :)

Change your thoughts and you change your world. - Norman Vincent Peale

• NagelRitterNagelRitter Member Posts: 607
    As much as I like Rift, or used to, at least (the combination of F2P and what they did in SL drove me away), Rift is the definition of bland...

Favorite MMO: Vanilla WoW
    Currently playing: GW2, EVE
    Excited for: Wildstar, maybe?

• SinakuSinaku Member UncommonPosts: 552

Originally posted by Vigg
    I'm trying Rift again, haven't really played since launch.  On paper, Rift has everything that I find interesting in an MMO, including housing.  But for some reason, I'm finding the gameplay, especially combat, to be very bland and uninspiring.  I can't put my finger on what it is.  Possibly the washed-out graphics, the armor models and the combat animations?  Anyone else have the same issue?

Unfortunately I am in the same boat as you. I really wanted to enjoy Rift so I went back and tried it after F2P but idk something about it just can't hook me. I agree the game seems a little lifeless and dull.

Not to say Rift is overall a bad game, I just can't find it in me to keep playing to higher levels :/

• simulacrasimulacra Member CommonPosts: 93
    Originally posted by Drithe
    I'm trying Rift again, haven't really played since launch.  On paper, Rift has everything that I find interesting in an MMO, including housing.  But for some reason, I'm finding the gameplay, especially combat, to be very bland and uninspiring.  I can't put my finger on what it is.  Possibly the washed-out graphics, the armor models and the combat animations?  Anyone else have the same issue?

I actually like Final Fantasy 14 better than I do Rift. I just cant put my finger on it exactly.  But it just does not interest me at all. This game has better graphics than FF 14. It has a better battle system. To me, Rift feels like one of those everyday same ole Asian type mmorpgs.

Maybe it is the story line. I think it is cheesy as hell. YoU aRe Reborn and come back from the dead blah blah blah ooooOOOOOoooHH. Infact, this game reminds me of that other Asian mmo where you can fly and have wings and that was boring to me too.

Maybe I am just getting jaded in me old age.

This game is well built and certainly a great mmorpg to play. It's just not for me.

End of line.         

Are you talking about FFXIV 1.0 or 2.0? Not sure if you've played the beta for the new FFXIV but there's no way Rift has better graphics. FFXIV ARR is very visually pleasing

• GrailerGrailer Member UncommonPosts: 893

The game gets really boring at lvl 60 .

Not at first because everything is fresh and raining gifts of gear upon you . But eventually the well drys up and obtaining items is almost impossible unless you are raiding .

All Im really doing is logging in doing dailies for reputation and running one dungeon , once that is maxed the game will become pretty much log in once a week raid log out . 

Basically 2 hours a day playing game  and once I start raiding it will become 2-4 hours a week .

Very casual game . I prefer games with more to do ,  the pvp in this game is exploited to hell so I stay away from that .

• AtrocitusAtrocitus Member UncommonPosts: 85
    Originally posted by Grailer

Not at first because everything is fresh and raining gifts of gear upon you . But eventually the well drys up and obtaining items is almost impossible unless you are raiding .

All Im really doing is logging in doing dailies for reputation and running one dungeon , once that is maxed the game will become pretty much log in once a week raid log out . 

Basically 2 hours a day playing game  and once I start raiding it will become 2-4 hours a week .

Very casual game . I prefer games with more to do ,  the pvp in this game is exploited to hell so I stay away from that .

The pvp is 'EXPLOITED TO HELL'............?

Huh?

You want to clarify that a bit, or are you just parroting others opinions.?

There is no out and out exploitation of Rift. Period. And don't say multiboxing, ive never even seen one in over 200 warfronts.

Stop with the bullspit generalizations.

• MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222
    Op you don't like it because you have played this game for 9 years and you are tired of linear quest hubs and dull combat.
  • GrailerGrailer Member UncommonPosts: 893
    Originally posted by Atrocitus
    Originally posted by Grailer

The pvp is 'EXPLOITED TO HELL'............?

Huh?

You want to clarify that a bit, or are you just parroting others opinions.?

There is no out and out exploitation of Rift. Period. And don't say multiboxing, ive never even seen one in over 200 warfronts.

Stop with the bullspit generalizations.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=gwj1shs5AZs#at=770

happens a lot , I guess you have been super lucky not to see a multiboxer , The game is free so people they are more common now than when you played back in the day son .

• GrummusGrummus Member UncommonPosts: 151
    Originally posted by Chrisbox
    RIFT is like swtor in the sense that, could've been great, I wish it was. But it isn't.  

I was almost impressed with SWTOR, but the second zone ruined any desire to play that I had, though I did like the quests, story, and could tolerate the combat. Rift's lack of world depth (just feels like cheap-prop scenery from any generic Korean itam mall MMO) and the disconnect between combat, animation and general immersion hurt in ways that even SWTOR did OK with.

• BraindomeBraindome Member UncommonPosts: 959

I agree with the comments in this thread that point out that Rift has dull combat and lackluster animations, Rift has some really good ideas, really good, but overall it has a very generic feel imo. Almost all combat skills lack a real "punch" and the animations are very canned and stiff, overall this is what I would attribute it to as Rift's themselves are a great concept and one of the main reasons I really want to play FFXIV as it takes that system and utilizes it yet FFXIV has gorgeous animations and combat is engaging and solid.

• strellokstrellok Member Posts: 48

I tried beta back then and could not keep playing it for more than 2 hours.

Then tried trial, quit after 30 mins.

Then tried f2p and again, uninstalled after like 20 mins of playtime.

It feels like incredibly dull experience to me. The graphics, environment, combat, feel... Even LOTRO feels superbly exceptional in comparison. Such a shame, really.

• NobleNerdNobleNerd Member UncommonPosts: 759
    Originally posted by Carnegie

I honestly don't think it's because people are bored of the WoW-Clone themepark MMOs. For me, I'm in the same boat but I know why I can't enjoy Rift. Because it's bland, pure and simply. There's very little challenge to a rotation and all the abilities look the same. The skills aren't flashy and they certainly don't look powerful.

When I play an MMORPG, I expect to be able to use abilities that make me feel like I'm powerful, not a little white ball that taps an enemy on the head and apparently does a lot of damage. The aesthetics matter a lot too and it fails miserably in that area.

I believe your close here. Much of my detachment from Rift is because of the animations and impact of the combat. No matter what class you play it all feels the same. The combat animations are bland and many are just rehashes of other ones you get in a different soul, there are very few that feel "powerful" when used or unique.

Another of the major things that keeps ruining it for me staying with Rift is the destruction of a purpose for factions. Factions is this game have very little to no meaning anymore. It doesn't matter if you choose Defiant or Guardian they both play "nice nice" with each other now, hell you can change factions now! Nothing worse than seeing a Dwarf running around Meridian. For me the lore is all messed up and has become a mimic of WoW.... They have gone the same path as WoW is soo many ways when it comes to this and a few other things.

• RoscRosc Member UncommonPosts: 42
    Originally posted by strellok

I tried beta back then and could not keep playing it for more than 2 hours.

Then tried trial, quit after 30 mins.

Then tried f2p and again, uninstalled after like 20 mins of playtime.

It feels like incredibly dull experience to me. The graphics, environment, combat, feel... Even LOTRO feels superbly exceptional in comparison. Such a shame, really.

You had me until the last paragraph.

Rift feels generic and boring because it is generic and boring. The classes are essentially watered down copies from other games with really crappy talent systems. With the four souls per class, you can be anything and everything. There is no distinct functions or individuality. The world is pure vanilla. It's pretty, but there are no hooks. The one draw, the dynamic 'rifts' in a word, aren't. They are just random popups that play out exactly the same.

Warcraft actually has decent lore and the zones are gorgeous and varied. It likewise bores me to tears these days, but there is a lot more variety. The big draw for Rift right now is it's a good polished grouping game that is FREE.

• Crazy_StickCrazy_Stick Member Posts: 1,059

Like you OP this was the thing that killed RIFT for me. I thought about it for a long time. You know what I think it comes down to? I think the game is soulless. You are basically playing a toolkit in a very bland, generic, setting that lacks that spark of character and life of its own to generate real interest. How ironic with that character system. As a comparison look at GW2 with its dynamic events and offbeat quests like in Char lands where you put on a bull costume and teach the little cows how to fight off monsters. lol. Nothing in RIFT takes on life. They tried so hard to one up WOW they never carved their own niche to sell us on.

• Crazy_StickCrazy_Stick Member Posts: 1,059

A quest doesn’t have to be humorous to meet my criteria it was simply an off the top of my head example of a quest outside the box with enough unique character to bring something extra into the world. Love it or hate it, the action involved was far more unique to GW2 than kill X number of goblins and that spark is something RIFT sorely lacks. If I were to rate a game overall on quest quality and uniqueness that fleshed out a game world and was fun to do then The Secret World would win hands down. The things you do in game kind of make you want to stay and see all the secrets spun out. They just bland and vanilla in RIFT bro.

• marcustmarcust Member UncommonPosts: 495

Just started playing Rift and have a level 23 rogue. Was standing in Gloamwood Pines and the town was invaded by werewolves.

A portal opened next to where I was standing and myself and a few others started defending against a horde of them.

The first one went down and we started focussing our fire more effectively.

More went down and then the portal itself.

We started to gain the ascendancy and cleared more portals. The town was cleansed.

That was the most fun I've had in a game for ages.

I cant agree with bland.

This is the first time in a long time where I'm happily surprised whenever I level, I never look at my xp bar, it just doesn't seem relevant.

Yes the novelty will wear off I'm sure, there will be a time when I recognise all the patterns and all the spawns, but for now I am loving it.

I'm unguilded, have region chat (or whatever global is called) turned off, I do quests but focus more on exploring and doing them as I go rather than  go A->B in quests. Discovering artifacts on my exploring is satisfying.

Sorry, I don't see bland yet.

Then again, I'm trying to play the game as immersively as possible and so far I think this game is one where you really can immerse yourself into it if you choose to.

Playing: Darkfall New Dawn (and planning to play Fallout 76)
    Favourite games have included: UO, Lineage2, Darkfall, Lotro, Baldur's Gate, SSX, FF7 and yes the original Wizardry on an Apple IIe

• HricaHrica Member UncommonPosts: 1,129
    Originally posted by Heafstagg
    Yeah I feel the exact same way. I really want to enjoy RIFT but as soon as I start doing combat I get instantly bored. I can't really put my finger on it..

Same here..maybe the capped fps...or dull colors...idk really

• ComafComaf Member UncommonPosts: 1,150

There's no pvp or pve depth to it.  Just a lower version of WoW though the Merc system made the lore even more mediocre. 

Waiting on ESO because for once, I'd like pvp to matter and an enemy that isn't the same damned race class of my own side.

• GrummusGrummus Member UncommonPosts: 151
    Disconnect in combat of commands issued, GUI elements, combat animations and mob responsiveness.

A total lack of combat complexity.

Talent trees are all the same shit slightly renamed with some new colors here and there.

World and terrain design is horrible.

No cities, no sense of a social atmosphere.

Poorly scaled buildings and world elements akin to the legion of Korean shitfest MMOs on here. "Neat, I'm the size of a house! Which happens to be slightly larger than a shoe box. What is this, a fucking tardis?"

Instances, or dungeons are even worse than the open world.

Voice overs are cringe-worthy. "OMFG AN ASCENDED!11"

I keep wanting to like it, too, but I've given up on milking it for any entertainment at all. That said I love the spider mount for some reason.
  • simmihisimmihi Member UncommonPosts: 709
    Rift is bland because everything plays the same. All rifts play the same. All events, invasions etc are the same. Sure, they might look different, but it's still zerg pew pew everywhere. The expansion leveling grind is one of the worst grinds in MMO's, and not because it takes long, i'm okay with that, but because you just grind the same kind of quests over and over again. After that, after you hit max level, it does not take you long to see that you're in a long boring grind for tokens of many kinds. It took many aspects from a lot of other games, without making them better. And a thing that i especially find distasteful: the zones are small, linear and packed with mobs. You cannot even go and explore much, because as soon as you get off the road, there's aggressive mobs everywhere, which, even at 10 or 20 levels lower than you, still attack you, dismount you etc.
  • ThumbtackJThumbtackJ Member UncommonPosts: 669

I enjoy Rift very much. I've been playing on and off since launch, and have recently came back for Storm Legion. I personally don't get all the dislike for it, or see how it's "bland". I can understand not liking it due to being bored of themepark MMO's but I certainly don't see it as bland or such. Here's my thoughts on it as well as random information for those who don't know much about Rift;

The combat and the crafting is nothing new or special, but for your standard themepark MMO stuff, it does it pretty well (I don't find the combat clunky, or unresponsive in the slightest). 

Dungeons and Raids are pretty standard as well. Party up, go in, kill the bosses, and that's that. Some of them can be pretty interesting (like Realm of the Fae), or rather difficult/challenging. Still, pretty standard stuff though.

Questing is pretty standard as well. Grab your quests, go do them, turn them in.

However, I personally enjoy the story/lore. I for one, actually read the quest dialogue, as it adds a lot of context for why you are doing what you are doing. Though I'm not surprised to see people just blowing through that stuff without taking the time to enjoy the story.

You can also level up through instant adventures. You queue up for it, it's puts you into a party of people in a random zone (or a zone of your choice should you not queue up for random) and it gives you quests to do based upon the size of your party. Destroying stuff, collecting stuff, killing mobs, killing bosses, using items to transfigure things/enemies, etc. You get sourcestones and loot chests every so often as well.

The classes (specifically the souls) are just awesome as far as I'm concerned. Four classes (Mage, Cleric, Rogue, and Warrior) all with nine different souls a piece. You get to pick three souls per role (and you can switch between roles on the fly, so you're not stuck with just one setup at a time), which allows for some awesome customization. Then there are the souls themselves. I have no idea what people are talking about when they say "they are all the same" because they most assuredly are not.

Take a look at the Warrior for example. Beastmaster soul is a support class where you get to play with a pet. Tempest is a ranged DPS soul where you play a ranged Warrior and you hurl lightning bolts and blasts of energy at your opponents. Then you have the the three tank souls, Paladin, Reaver, and Void Knight. Sure all three of those souls are specifically for tanking, but they all behave and act differently, to suit different playstyles. Getting to mix and match those, as well as the ones not mentioned is pretty awesome, and can allow you to create some pretty interesting roles.

Another example (and my main class) is the Mage. You have your basic ranged DPS souls like Pyromancer and Stormcaller, but then there's the Chloromancer which is a healing soul, and then (one of my absolute favorite souls) there is the Harbinger, which allows the mage to use magic defenses and summon weapons to turn itself into a melee fighter (which is fucking amazing). And again, you're mixing and matching these different souls to create something different and unique. Right now, my mage is a Elementalist 5/Harbinger 54/Chloromancer 16, which allows me to fight up close and personal with some added survivability through chloromancer healing.

Rifts can get boring if you do one after the other nonstop. That goes for anything though. I don't think that they are all "the same" though. Sure, in the sense that you're most likely going to be killing stuff, but that's what you're doing 90% of the time in an MMO anyways. There are major and minor Rifts, with six different element types (Earth, Fire, Air, Life, Water, and Death). They normally have three regular stages and up to 2 bonus stages (though IIRC a Rift can have up to 10 stages). Some stages have you killing stuff, other stages have you activating things, etc. And some stages are timed. Then there's crafting Rifts, opened by using a crafting lure, but the rewards are for crafting purposes. Then there are expert and Raid Rifts, which are of a higher difficulty and require five to ten players.

PvP is mostly based around instanced Warfronts (basically like Battlegrounds from WoW). It's pretty varied I suppose. I just recently really got into Rift's PvP so I can't comment too much on it. If you like PvP and don't mind your basic tab-target-hotbar combat, you'll probably enjoy it for at least a while. If you roll on a PvP shard, then yeah, there's generally people doing open world PvP. 

Dimensions are player houses. It's like Ever Quest 2, in the sense that after you purchase your dimension, it's instanced. But rather than buying houses in cities or what have you, you're buying plots of land that are normally part of the game world. You can buy/craft items for your dimension and add it to yours by dragging and dropping it from your inventory. You can change it's direction, angle, and how big it is. Here is my dimension currently. I added the bone arch to the path to the right, placed the dragon bone jaws to the entrance to the run down cathedral, placed the giant bone pillar and increased it's size over by the graveyard, placed the wagon full of coffins, and added the rib cage to make it look like the animal pulling it had died and rotted there. There's so much more though to add, like rocks, trees, all sorts of terrain stuff, lighting sources, beds, tables, chairs, other furniture, othre ods and ends of stuff just for looks, and even whole buildings like a tavern. It's a fun and simple distraction to goof around with.

Then there's some little added fluff stuff like achievements, particularly ones you get rewards for, like titles for your name and such. For example, in Cape Jule, there's a zone achievement called "Touch the Clouds". It tells you to get as high as you can in the rainforest/find the highest peak. Well there are several other zones that have similar achievements to get onto high areas of the map. But there's no "high point" to get the achievement there. Well, if you look at the achievement, there's a picture of a frog on it. So if you go up to tree frogs in the forest there, and type /lick it makes your character trip out on the frog acid, and they start talking to you and the world gets all trippy. If you lick eight frogs before the time runs out, you basically go on a super trip, and wind up (or wake up?) ontop of a giant pillar you can't otherwise get to. For completing it, you get the title, "Yourname, the Dream Walker". It's nothing major, but little things like this are always awesome.

As far as the graphics and aesthetics though, I'm lost as to how someone could consider them washed out, bad, etc. Perhaps they are running the game at really low settings. I don't know. I'm running it nearly maxed out and it looks absolutely stunning. Easily one of the best looking MMO's I've played (right up there with AoC in terms of graphically fidelity). Aesthetics are subjective I suppose, but I think the art style is great. 

Anyways, that's just some basic information, and how I feel about the game. It's not the perfect game (nor can I think of one), but for what it does as a themepark MMORPG, I find it to be top notch.

• icculus2112icculus2112 Member Posts: 105
    Originally posted by Crazy_Stick

Like you OP this was the thing that killed RIFT for me. I thought about it for a long time. You know what I think it comes down to? I think the game is soulless. You are basically playing a toolkit in a very bland, generic, setting that lacks that spark of character and life of its own to generate real interest. 

Exactly.  

And the problem is that Trion didnt set out to make a game from scratch.  They started with WoW and made some tweaks and additions, as opposed to building a game from the ground up.

In addition, the game lacks personality.  Races are dull and seem cosmetic only.  The quest writing is mostly bland walls of text.

Bland, soulless, lacking personality.  That is Rift.

• ShadanwolfShadanwolf Member UncommonPosts: 2,392

OP

Because it is bland and a compilation of all the games you're played before.