Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What is the reason for this Hype !!???

WhitestepWhitestep Member UncommonPosts: 61

Please , someone explain me what is this hype , the game looks nice.

Big title but still not better than Archage or Black Desert.

Comments

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    the hype for me is old EQ fans getting a new EQ home
  • GholosGholos Member Posts: 209
    Simply because it is EverQuest !!!

"Brute force not work? It because you not use enought of it"
    -Karg, Ogryn Bone'ead.

• RamanadjinnRamanadjinn Member UncommonPosts: 1,365

sandbox

everquest

nothing else going on

take your pick

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by bujko

Looks nice? We know nothing about it.. We've only seen one render and a painting.

As for the hype: Three Words (well a title a word and an acronym)

Everquest, Sandbox, MMORPG.com

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• sirphobossirphobos Member UncommonPosts: 620
    Honestly, it's probably more nostalgia for me than anything.  I'm hoping the game will be good, but not counting on it, but I can't wait to see Freeport, Qeynos, Guk, etc, again (hopefully all those places will still be there).
  • OziiusOziius Member UncommonPosts: 1,406

All I needed to hear was everquest and sandbox... Done... Hyped.

• munx4555munx4555 Member Posts: 169

How can you say it dosnt look better then archage or black desert when there is basicly no information about what it actually is?

• RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,785

I believe it's because Mr. Bill Murphy told everyone that it's going to make them poop their pants.

Sooo yeah. Then Smed says sandbox and people started drooling. He's made some other vague comments and people translated them to match their dreams and desires. Needless to say, someone (many someones actually) will be disappointed.

• RamanadjinnRamanadjinn Member UncommonPosts: 1,365
    Originally posted by Rusque

I believe it's because Mr. Bill Murphy told everyone that it's going to make them poop their pants.

Sooo yeah. Then Smed says sandbox and people started drooling. He's made some other vague comments and people translated them to match their dreams and desires. Needless to say, someone (many someones actually) will be disappointed.

Smedley has been preaching the sandbox gospel for a long time now.

At least I think it was him that did a reddit AMA quite some time ago and stated that the future of MMORPGs was in sandboxes.

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001

Is the word 'hype' used to describe games outside mmorg and other for like forums?    The problem is not the game or the publisher or people looking forward to such games.  Years ago people enjoyed getting excited about games, then trolling/bitterness and general lack of manners came along.  worst side of the internet.

I hope the game is great, I know little about it, something to look forward to.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,610
    Ooo good, was worried we were not going to get more threads with the same topic today. Come on people we need 4 more threads just like this one before the day is out =-P
  • dgarbinidgarbini Member Posts: 185
    I blame the scarcity principle.  Sometimes the more unobtainable something is (information on a game) the more desirable it becomes.  It has to do with human psychology and not wanting to limit our freedom.
    Originally posted by Ramanadjinn

Smedley has been preaching the sandbox gospel for a long time now.

At least I think it was him that did a reddit AMA quite some time ago and stated that the future of MMORPGs was in sandboxes.

http://themittani.com/features/mittani-interviews-soe-ceo-john-smedley

You’ve mentioned a desire for more sandbox MMOs in your Reddit AMA, and sandboxes are obviously a major draw for Eve players. Do you have plans for adding sandbox elements to PS2, and if so, would you like to discuss them? If there really is an untapped market for sandbox MMOs, why haven’t we seen more of them, besides Eve and SWG?

Sandbox elements - SOE is redefining itself as a creator of emergent gameplay experiences. That's our future.

You can call it sandbox but it's so much more than that. A good example is Player owned bases in Planetside 2. That's coming. We're going to make huge continents that are empty and have vast resources on them and players can fight it out and put down their own bases there and other players can come and obliterate them. Sound familiar Eve Players? Actually we had something like this in Star Wars Galaxies too. THAT is content. At some point as an industry we need to realize that we have already lost the race to outpace players in making content. I personally thought SWTOR was a great game. I loved Diablo III. The problem is you get to the endgame and as game makers it's not just expensive. it's impossible to stay ahead of the curve.

Think about this statement - If WoW had come out yesterday.. at what point would people be "done" with the content. We need to focus on game systems that are perpetual and give players a lot more control over what they can do rather than JUST putting yet another dragon in front of them with scripted content. We need to be doing both in order to be successful. And that's our plan.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.
    Originally posted by Mtibbs1989

Could be the possibility that they're hyping the game up so much before anyone sees it because it's poor quality. 

next Friday - Aug 2nd

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.
  • EpicentEpicent Member UncommonPosts: 648
    F2P and SoE in the same sentence turn me off. Unless they can pull it off like GW2 or Aion and make it a truly f2p and not p2w then I am not interested. Id rather a sub or a b2p if it means no p2w. Not saying it will be p2w just dont like the way SoE has done it in the past.

• aspekxaspekx Member UncommonPosts: 2,167

you must be new to this site ;)

"There are at least two kinds of games.
    One could be called finite, the other infinite.
    A finite game is played for the purpose of winning,
    an infinite game for the purpose of continuing play."
    Finite and Infinite Games, James Carse

• EpicentEpicent Member UncommonPosts: 648
    Originally posted by Mtibbs1989
    Originally posted by aspekx

you must be new to this site ;)

Wait, has bujko found actual gameplay on the game that no one but TTH and MMORPG have seen? If I'm correct everyone but these two media sources are completely in the dark about the game as of right now.

Actually there is some leaked gameplay footage but its been taken down. Sorry not gameplay but character models in motion.

• KrimzinKrimzin Member UncommonPosts: 687
    The hype is more about the possibility and the nostalgia of Everquest than anything else. Players are hoping for a taste of what EQ was so many years ago.

Just because I'm a gamer doesn't mean I drive a Honda.
    Best Duo Ever

Lets see your Battle Stations /r/battlestations
    Battle Station 

• NadiliNadili Member Posts: 197
    Originally posted by Gholos
    Simply because it is EverQuest !!!

QFT 

It's Everquest and as much as many have cursed never going back to SoE myself included I can't not play EQN.

• niceguy3978niceguy3978 Member UncommonPosts: 2,047

I don't even see how you can say it looks nice, let alone not better than Archage or Black Desert.  The only thing we know about it is the name, and SANDBOX screamed from the rooftops.  I don't know if it is better or worse than Scarlet Blade at this point.

This discussion has been closed.