Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Interview] Destiny: Delving Into Bungie's Vision

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Bungie's Destiny has people excited about the forthcoming MMO. We managed to catch up to Bungie's Community Manager Eric Osborne to talk about Destiny and about Bungie's vision for the game. It's a terrific read and it's exclusive at MMORPG.com. Read on and then leave your impressions in the comments.

MMORPG: At one point in the presentation the screen changed to a third person view, albeit briefly. Is that something we can expect to see in the game more often?  Can we choose to be in third-person, or is it only during the “space magic” skill uses and other cinematic parts?

Eric Osborne: The majority of combat happens in first-person. Destiny is a great first-person shooter, but we are certainly taking a lot of the things that sing for us from the RPG genre, like character creation and personalization. We believe players are really going to enjoy the deep customization offered in Destiny, so we do want to provide a lot of opportunities for people to see and show off their builds.

Read more of Bill Murphy's Destiny: Delving Into Bungie's Vision.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• orbitxoorbitxo Member RarePosts: 1,956

i would play this if it had 3rd person play.

FPS make me dizzy. and i loose distance perception. its too old school in todays game genres.

a reason i dont play Dust. i just dont want character costumizing only in third person makes no sense.

shame.

• RazeeksterRazeekster Member UncommonPosts: 2,591
    I really am not sure about this game... Nothing really wowed me about it at E3. Now the Division... That game majorly impressed me.

Smile

• marz.at.playmarz.at.play Member UncommonPosts: 912
    when?

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

I put a lot more faith in Bungie to define the future of FPS and the whole "always online FPS" than Ubisoft (The Division) or Respawn (Titanfall.)

Even though Division looks awesome too, I'm a much bigger fan of hard sci-fi than "post apocalypse future tech" sci-fi.

Destiny looks like a mix between Halo, Borderlands, and Mass Effect - which is like, every RPG/FPS fans wet dream x1000000.

• BattlerockBattlerock Member CommonPosts: 1,393
    I'm holding out on my ps4 purchase until the Destiny Special Edition bundle arrives. There is so much goodness happening right now in pc gaming, but missing out on a bungie game is where I draw the line between purchasing a new console or not and I know bungie is going to be providing excellent game quality as they always have in the past for me. CAN'T WAIT!!!
  • BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565
    As long as I can play with my mouse+KB on the PS3/PS4, I'm sold.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• NovuhzNovuhz Member UncommonPosts: 31
    It's sad a lot of the new cool games coming that are MMOFPSRPG are console only... I've been always looking forward for such a cool game of that genre (Destiny, Division) yet we are stuck into buying console to play them, that makes me sad. Hopefully they will release a PC version, because I won't ever buy a console just for 1 or 2 games when PC is far superior compared to consoles.
  • gadunkgadunk Member UncommonPosts: 164
    if you get nausea while playing FPS, go to your local drug store and get Ginger Root pills.. take 1 daily, and play an FPS a little at a time. In a week, or less, the nausea will stop! I couldn't play Call of Duty, or even watch a friend play, until I found this solution and it worked like a charm. Of course, friends still make fun of me for it but I can woop em in FPS games now :P
    on subject.. it looks like Destiny is going to be what I was hoping Defiance was going to be.. We'll see!
  • morbuskabismorbuskabis Member Posts: 290
    As soon as they realize that mmo's wont sell as good on consol as they hoped, they will crawl back to the pc gamers. lets see if we be waiting for them or allready went ahead...

image -Massive-Industries- Heavy Duty

Originally posted by BillMurphy

Easy enough to use a keyboard, I am not sure about mouse though - I haven't tried that yet.

I am going to try it during the next FFXIV beta phase though.

Obviously it's a question of whether or not the Destiny client will support it or not, but the PS3/4 should/does.

• TyrianPrimeTyrianPrime Member UncommonPosts: 107

No PC? Another console game? 

Pass...No thank you...enough with consoles!

Fully supporting STAR CITIZEN by the Legendary Grandmaster of the Space Game Genre, Chris Roberts.For Captain Eisen's memory.....For Squadron 42...For the Space Genre....For the PC....I pledge!
    Star Citizen
    TOG Star Citizen-Join Us

• CavemanBECavemanBE Member UncommonPosts: 78
    Originally posted by orbitxo

FPS make me dizzy. and i loose distance perception. its too old school in todays game genres.

a reason i dont play Dust. i just dont want character costumizing only in third person makes no sense.

shame.

Ya i have that to after 10 min FPS i get dizzy? Is there anthing you can do to fix that?

It's strange do.

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916

Indeed, if anyone has a chance of producing a kick-ass variation on the FPS theme, then it would be Bungie.

By now, they have a keen appreciation of the importance of an IP that is almost a "household name". You may never have played Halo, but if you're a real gamer, you'll have heard of it at least.

If Destiny delivers 50% of the amazing vision that Eric Osborne is spinning in this interview, it will be a hit. If it delivers 100%, it will be a legend.

• BijouBijou Member UncommonPosts: 145
    Originally posted by CavemanBE

shame.

Ya i have that to after 10 min FPS i get dizzy? Is there anthing you can do to fix that?

It's strange do.

Same here, I get motion sickness from FPS games. Or if the camera is too close to the character (like in Dead Space). I had to skip so many good games because of this problem. : (

• RazeeksterRazeekster Member UncommonPosts: 2,591
    Originally posted by BadSpock

I put a lot more faith in Bungie to define the future of FPS and the whole "always online FPS" than Ubisoft (The Division) or Respawn (Titanfall.)

Even though Division looks awesome too, I'm a much bigger fan of hard sci-fi than "post apocalypse future tech" sci-fi.

Destiny looks like a mix between Halo, Borderlands, and Mass Effect - which is like, every RPG/FPS fans wet dream x1000000.

What is your reason for putting more faith into Bungie? Because of Halo? I hope you have a better reason than that... And I'm sorry, but your description of it is not what I got from it at all. To me it looked like the equivalent of an FPS version of Guild Wars 2 which sounds awful to me.

Smile

• grimfallgrimfall Member UncommonPosts: 1,153
    Originally posted by Razeekster

What is your reason for putting more faith into Bungie? Because of Halo? I hope you have a better reason than that... And I'm sorry, but your description of it is not what I got from it at all. To me it looked like the equivalent of an FPS version of Guild Wars 2 which sounds awful to me.

Go play Myth and Myth II.

• BelegStrongbowBelegStrongbow Member UncommonPosts: 296

I am just really happy to see more sandboxy style of games coming out by mainstream companies.  Hopefully the big MMO publishers take notes. 

Cmon EQnext (fingers crossed)

• beowulf2014beowulf2014 Member UncommonPosts: 72
    Originally posted by BillMurphy

If only we had a MMO website, that could ask Bungie if it would be supported in a Q&A.... Oh.. Oops... :P

• killahhkillahh Member UncommonPosts: 445
    Originally posted by morbuskabis

As soon as they realize that mmo's wont sell as good on consol as they hoped, they will crawl back to the pc gamers. lets see if we be waiting for them or allready went ahead...

I'm betting consol mmorpg are going to take off. Why?
    Good graphics now on consoles, and powerful machines.
    The ability to have over 20hotkey type actions has always been there, and consoles nowdays do so much more than play games.
    Besides playing on a 60 inch would be sweet.

Just saying, I have a nice desktop as well as a ps3.

over 20 years of mmorpg's and counting...

• suckm3suckm3 Member UncommonPosts: 187
    Originally posted by BelegStrongbow

I am just really happy to see more sandboxy style of games coming out by mainstream companies.  Hopefully the big MMO publishers take notes. 

Cmon EQnext (fingers crossed)

That what he said !

+1

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”? -Albert Einstein 

"The ability to speak doesn't make you intelligent" - Qui-gon Jinn. After many years of reading Internet forums, there's no doubt that neither does the ability to write.
    So if you notice that I'm no longer answering your nonsense, stop trying... because you just joined my block list.

Originally posted by Bijou
    Originally posted by CavemanBE

shame.

It's strange do.

Same here, I get motion sickness from FPS games. Or if the camera is too close to the character (like in Dead Space). I had to skip so many good games because of this problem. : (

Read my post above.. Ginger Root! (Goggle "Nausea Ginger Root")

• kullninjakullninja Member Posts: 8
    this game will also be on the pc so get your fact straight and stop spreading stupid rumors!! and it is also coming out on xbox one.
  • ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690
    It isn't a mmo, it just borrows some mmo elements such as persistence and you get your own loot. The mmo genre is so bad now that they media has to cash in on anything good just to save the mmo image.  Anyway, I'll be playing this on the Xbox One. Can't wait!
    Originally posted by Razeekster

I put a lot more faith in Bungie to define the future of FPS and the whole "always online FPS"

What is your reason for putting more faith into Bungie? Because of Halo? I hope you have a better reason than that...

It's real hard to invent a new sci-fi franchise, and the Halo universe is truly grand and crosses into so many different forms of entertainment and media.

The question is: can they do it again?

It's about more than just game play. It's about characters, and story, and music, and sounds, and of course the visuals, but also the marketing and the interaction with the community - even the mystery and everything they are NOT telling you and how intriguing that becomes. Viral marketing, teasers, trailers...

Bungie can do the gampe play - that is proven. Halo re-defined the pace of FPS combat and the way a story was told through a FPS. Everything else I listed above, they have done and done very well.

Story was the weakest part of Halo 2 and 3. ODST and Reach had great story and characters. They learned, they got better.

They have committed themselves to trying to catch lightning in a bottle all over again.

I have faith they can do it, mostly because they've done it once already and proven their skill game after game (even if there were some rough spots here and there.)