Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A question to the veterans of DFUW...

EvelknievelEvelknievel Member UncommonPosts: 2,964

If you knew what you knew now as a veteran and went into the game as a new character in DF, what would you do first?

I am just curious about this title since I never played either of the DF mmo's and might just pick it up. I am a avid player of more of a SciFi base games and may mix up some Fantasy to change my gears this summer.

Comments

• StrangerousStrangerous Member Posts: 165
    Originally posted by 7imelord

If you knew what you knew now as a veteran and went into the game as a new character in DF, what would you do first?

I am just curious about this title since I never played either of the DF mmo's and might just pick it up. I am a avid player of more of a SciFi base games and may mix up some Fantasy to change my gears this summer.

I would join a clan right after the tutorial.  Just hit ESC, click on clan button on the right, click brows clans on the left, sort by population, apply to the top 5 or 10 largest.

Who ever invites first accept.  Hop into voice chat.  Don't be afraid to do what they are doing.  If you don't like what they are doing over the course of a week drop clan and repeat.

Playing this game solo, or using the standard issue mindset that "ill get strong so im useful then hopefully by then ill know the best clan to join" mentality sucks for this game...don't do it.

You might get told by your clan to do the safe zone and nooby feats solo, which is fine, but at least youll have people to ask questions, a clan holding to use, and the OPTION to access the whole games content as most is clan and group related.

Also drop the idea that progression+gear = pvp wins.  If you don't start pvping early you wont be good by the time you have good gear and youll just be what people call a "loot piñata"  Best place to get pvp practice is in a clan holding dueling friendlies.

Good gear and a lot of prowress will only matter if you are good at pvp.  Yes there are many cases of returning vets and some *new* players who are able to wreck well geared well statted players who are just not any good at the mechanics of DF pvp.

Oh and to make it even more rough, your FPS mad skills don't translate over to DF very well, neither does your themepark tab target pvp skills.  Its not a game of dishing out DPS faster than the other guy, its about stat management (transferring mana to stamina and then to health, using potions and food while not wasting stats on skill spamming) not missing shots, and knowing how to move kite and when to pull out melee and when to pull out range as youll be doing both back and forth every fight...as well as when to whip out sword and board and actively blocking hits.

There that's my long winded answer enjoy.

• BadaboomBadaboom Member UncommonPosts: 2,380

Start with the warrior role.  Get familiar with the GUI because it is different.  Stay in the safe zone for a bit and get a feel for the game and try and complete some beginning feats.  These feats give you bonus prowess points that you can spend however you want.  As a warrior, focus on upping your strength stat, strength boosters and the warrior school skills.  When you get a handle on some of the basics, get into a guild.  That way your not bugging them with every little noob question.

Start venturing out of the safe zone.  This is best done with more than one person from a clan.  Bank early and bank often.  Skin everything.  Loot everything, even if it is junk, since you can salvage it and gain mats.  Harvest what you can when semi-afk.  Don't be afraid to just roam on a mount and try and find chaos chests.  Fish and get treasure maps and try and find them for cash.  

Set out mini goals and just have fun.

• xpiherxpiher Member UncommonPosts: 3,310

Try all the roles before investing any point into a particular role or stat

That's about it. Read Urizk's (sp?") tortiral on the DFO boards. Pretty much has all the information you need.

Games:
    Currently playing:Nothing
    Will play: Darkfall: Unholy Wars
    Past games:
    Guild Wars 2 - Xpiher Duminous
    Xpiher's GW2
    GW 1 - Xpiher Duminous
    Darkfall - Xpiher Duminous (NA) retired
    AoC - Xpiher (Tyranny) retired
    Warhammer - Xpiher

• SysFailSysFail Member Posts: 375

Unsub.

• DarthRaidenDarthRaiden Member UncommonPosts: 4,333

For a veteran DF refers to original DF.

DF was targeted to different playerbase. We wanted a sandbox game with al the promised features and for sure original DF had the foundation.

But developers abandoned that idea and the playerbase and with this new game the target a arena action sytle game playerbase.

AS a original DF player i say avoid it.

If you like WoW and themeparks and accept manual aiming then it might be something for you.

/unsub

-----MY-TERMS-OF-USE--------------------------------------------------
    $OE - eternal enemy of online gaming
    -We finally WON !!!! 2011 $OE accepted that they have been fired 2005 by the playerbase and closed down ridiculous NGE !!

"There was suppression of speech and all kinds of things between disturbing and fascistic." Raph Koster (parted $OE)

• Muerte_XMuerte_X Member Posts: 104
    Originally posted by DarthRaiden

If you like WoW and themeparks and accept manual aiming then it might be something for you.

/unsub

That's odd because there are no quests, instances, LFG tools, or linear gameplay elements that would make you associate this game with a themepark. It also has a much flatter progression, so there is no one-shoting anyone.

I get that you are bitter, but man reeeeeeeelax. DF1 is gone.

Often lurking, rarely posting

• xpiherxpiher Member UncommonPosts: 3,310

For a veteran DF refers to original DF.

DF was targeted to different playerbase. We wanted a sandbox game with al the promised features and for sure original DF had the foundation.

But developers abandoned that idea and the playerbase and with this new game the target a arena action sytle game playerbase.

AS a original DF player i say avoid it.

/unsub

AV abonded Razorwares vision when the DFO beta launched and they never tried to get it back, ever. 

Games:
    Currently playing:Nothing
    Will play: Darkfall: Unholy Wars
    Past games:
    Guild Wars 2 - Xpiher Duminous
    Xpiher's GW2
    GW 1 - Xpiher Duminous
    Darkfall - Xpiher Duminous (NA) retired
    AoC - Xpiher (Tyranny) retired
    Warhammer - Xpiher

• Mors.MagneMors.Magne Member UncommonPosts: 1,549

Quit DFUW and stick to Eve Online, DUST 514, and probably EVR when that comes out.

At least CCP updates its games with time and they show tangible improvement.

In contrast, DFUW has the dubious distinction of having had significant amounts of content removed with time. The only aspect significantly updated is the fluff that adds nothing to gameplay.

I suspect that the positive posters here are either developers or people who are playing DFUW for the social aspect rather than for the actual gameplay.

• BadaboomBadaboom Member UncommonPosts: 2,380
    Originally posted by Mors.Magne

Quit DFUW and stick to Eve Online, DUST 514, and probably EVR when that comes out.

In contrast, DFUW has the dubious distinction of having had significant amounts of content removed with time. The only aspect significantly updated is the fluff that adds nothing to gameplay.

I suspect that the positive posters here are either developers or people who are playing DFUW for the social aspect rather than for the actual gameplay.

Or maybe we could just be enjoying the game.  I like EvE but think Darkfall is more exciting to play.  Sure I wish AV implemented some of the mechanics/features in EvE but it still remains an excellent game.  Not perfect and slowly but surely improving. 

IMO, the negative posters on this site need to move along to a game they enjoy instead of trashing on this one.  I'm all for people not liking the game and debating up certain aspects of Darkfall, but I don't understand why people stick around with fly by negative posts that don't contribute anything to the conversation.

• Aragon100Aragon100 Member RarePosts: 2,686

Most likely.

• NizurNizur Member CommonPosts: 1,417

Why? Because they are enjoying a game you don't? Honestly I don't get the responses people post here sometimes. I get that there are people who don't like the game/developer, but it's narrow-minded to paint anyone who does like it and posts about it as devs or social butterflies.

In nearly every MMO I've played, there are very vocal groups that bang their drums and shout their messages on forums of either "the game sucks" or "the game rocks". Neither can seemingly understand how the other reached the decision they came to, and neither shows any respect for the other. Respectful disagreement is nearly unheard of these days. It's pathetic.

Current: None
    Played: WoW, CoX, SWG, LotRO, EVE, AoC, VG, CO, Ryzom, DF, WAR
    Tried: Lineage2, Dofus, EQ2, CoS, FE, UO, Wurm, Wakfu
    Future: The Repopulation, ArcheAge, Black Desert, EQN

• apocolusterapocoluster Member UncommonPosts: 1,326

Back in 2003 eve resembled Dfuw.  Nothing really to do but A) huddle in the safe zone doing crappy npc missions or B) hiding from  m00 as they slaughtered all in their path 

personally I get the same vibe from Dfuw that I got from Eve in 2003.  I joined Uw 3 days ago mostly to gather ammo so I can burn it on these here forums.... Jokes on me.  I kinda like it. 

No matter how cynical you become, its never enough to keep up - Lily Tomlin

• DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556

They just added the market system three dungeons, and a bunch of new boats. That's fluff? They just revamped most of the conquest systems.

I... what?

If you're saying UW hasn't caught up to where Darkfall was after 4 years of development, I say, duh.

• DarthRaidenDarthRaiden Member UncommonPosts: 4,333
    Originally posted by apocoluster

Back in 2003 eve resembled Dfuw.  Nothing really to do but A) huddle in the safe zone doing crappy npc missions or B) hiding from  m00 as they slaughtered all in their path 

personally I get the same vibe from Dfuw that I got from Eve in 2003.  I joined Uw 3 days ago mostly to gather ammo so I can burn it on these here forums.... Jokes on me.  I kinda like it. 

That vibe and feeling was very valid for original DF, it was valid for 2009 and it was valid for 2010 and all the time they described and announced the changes they named "Darkfall 2010". It had all the ground and foundation to have a similar progression like EvE had. 

Now come the diffrence in the vibe in :

AV abandoned the skill system introducing classes even though they promised a armor specialiation system for years .

AV abaondoned  the "placing or renting vendor space in player citiies / capitals" even though they promised such a system for local markets for years.

They even made the world smaller.  Never heard before move to remove land mass in an "update".

They announced  to "double the items" in game., which implied complexity.

They reduced crafting complexity.

They put themeparkish content like seatowers.

Everything they put in is linear and oneway use.

Its not at all like Eve progression but DF got dumped down and more important with the changes now its clear it can't get the game anymore which started as Darkfall.

They promised freedom and sandbox and they took away from that at most with the new design in DF:UW.

It will never have the same success story like EvE ..it getting backwards ..its a try to become a themepark ..its born dead now.

Its damn close to $OE's new game enhancements (NGE) , which all the good sandbox parts have been took away and replaced with themepark and you know this will never fruitions in a sandbox and fun MMORPG anymore..its born dead.

EVE = continuation in adding content and complexity

DF = Discontinuity, changing target playerbase, changes from sandbox to themepark gamedesign, dumping down complexity, lesser content then before.

-----MY-TERMS-OF-USE--------------------------------------------------
    $OE - eternal enemy of online gaming
    -We finally WON !!!! 2011 $OE accepted that they have been fired 2005 by the playerbase and closed down ridiculous NGE !!

"There was suppression of speech and all kinds of things between disturbing and fascistic." Raph Koster (parted $OE)

That vibe and feeling was very valid for original DF, it was valid for 2009 and it was valid for 2010 and all the time they described and announced the changes they named "Darkfall 2010". It had all the ground and foundation to have a similar progression like EvE had. 

Now come the diffrence in the vibe in :

AV abandoned the skill system introducing classes even though they promised a armor specialiation system for years .

Except, changing the system to be class based made it play almost the same way Eve does. You can master many roles, but only play one at once. Same with Eve ships.

They even made the world smaller.  Never heard before move to remove land mass in an "update".

It wasn't an update... it was a sequel. Different game, different game world.

They announced  to "double the items" in game., which implied complexity.

What? No it doesn't. It "implies" twice as many items.

They reduced crafting complexity.

They didn't, at all. Increased it if anything.

They put themeparkish content like seatowers.

That was in Darkfall 1, and its in no way themeparky. It's just territory to control.

Everything they put in is linear and oneway use.

Wrong.

Fixed it for you.

• Deerhunter71Deerhunter71 Member Posts: 527

To sum it up for you if you like killing 180 of each mob to get your "xp"....

Accepting killing 180 of every mob as an acceptable form of "content"

Accepting this themepark static game and pretending it's a sandbox just because there are no quests..

Not demanding sandbox tools that allow us to build unique things

Accepting these static classes with very few skills so that every build is identical.

Accepting that everyone will be using the same equipment

Accepting this slow pace combat

Accepting that there is very little strategy to sieges.. lack of siege equipment lack of even the ability to be creative in regards to war.

DF UW is not in a better state than DF1..

All players even those subbed need to demand more than just the same static shit that was already in DF1 being added very fucking slowly to DFUW..  Instead of praising AV every time they even speak to you.

AV is focused on their asian release because they see it as a big money influx. I agree they should get that part of their business growing so that they can hire more people and keep working on this game, but as a group we got to demand they start really rethinking this so called "sandbox".  We need tools to build and create.. we need massive amount of skills so that people can really be unique with their playstyles..

We need something better than killing 180 of every mob.. especially considering I spend YEARS on my DF1 character to just get wiped out and have to start over grinding in the most boring way possible.

AV has the ability to turn this thing around to please everyone.  They need to wake up and save this game before all these other titles come out and sink DF once and for all.

• StrangerousStrangerous Member Posts: 165
    Originally posted by Deerhunter71

To sum it up for you if you like killing 180 of each mob to get your "xp"....

Accepting killing 180 of every mob as an acceptable form of "content"

Accepting this themepark static game and pretending it's a sandbox just because there are no quests..

Not demanding sandbox tools that allow us to build unique things

Accepting these static classes with very few skills so that every build is identical.

Accepting that everyone will be using the same equipment

Accepting this slow pace combat

Accepting that there is very little strategy to sieges.. lack of siege equipment lack of even the ability to be creative in regards to war.

DF UW is not in a better state than DF1..

All players even those subbed need to demand more than just the same static shit that was already in DF1 being added very fucking slowly to DFUW..  Instead of praising AV every time they even speak to you.

AV is focused on their asian release because they see it as a big money influx. I agree they should get that part of their business growing so that they can hire more people and keep working on this game, but as a group we got to demand they start really rethinking this so called "sandbox".  We need tools to build and create.. we need massive amount of skills so that people can really be unique with their playstyles..

We need something better than killing 180 of every mob.. especially considering I spend YEARS on my DF1 character to just get wiped out and have to start over grinding in the most boring way possible.

AV has the ability to turn this thing around to please everyone.  They need to wake up and save this game before all these other titles come out and sink DF once and for all.

No yeah everyone afk macroing their skills up was WAY better than the current set up where you need to actually play the game to advance /s

He wasn't asking about the differences in combat between df1 and df2 or the differences in progression.  You forget that ONLY the small group of bitter DF1 vets care about that.  Rest of us vets have moved on and new players couldn't care less about how combat and progression was in the old game that died was.

Realistically...your mad because the game is far less of a grind?  One you cant afk cheat past?  Or was it that sea towers didn't make it in launch, something that was entertaining once per day for like 20 minuets?  Or was it that there are a few boats and warhulks not in game yet?  All of this stuff is fluff that no one cares about and isn't game breaking.

They fixed the biggest gamebreaking issues...afk macroing through an insane grind...made it so everyone didn't have to be one magic/melee hybrid to compete. 

In fact the shit bitter vets complain about is so laughable...I think the real issue is that you can no longer solo curb stomp small clans and groups using 3rd part software and pixle detection on a character that spent 3 months afk macroing to get to the top.

Because realistically, its a MUCH better game this time around...but at least AV is kind and gives you some small things to cling on to as reason the game is horrible...yeah they are slow but not nearly as slow as they were for DF1...in fact the last few months they have been top notch in pumping out content...still reserved on if that's just a summer push or a new AV.

Oh but let me guess...the stuff they are adding isn't stuff you are interested in and they are behind on a 5 month old timeline...forget all the content they are adding....timeline they made ages ago is more important I bet.

Keep your complaints on the DF forums where there are people who actually care about the old game, no potential new player cares about how the old game catered to you compared to the new game that allows more people the ability to compete, and larger groups to counter on really pro player....

• Deerhunter71Deerhunter71 Member Posts: 527

Wow - AV either has the siege timers resetting or they remove siege stones themselves with no warning when the same seige stone placement in the past has been considered to be just fine...  unreal company...

https://forums.darkfallonline.com/showthread.php?376477-Disgusted-and-frustrated-with-AV/page2