Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mods in ESO

As we all know skyrim is doing really well with the ability for users to create mods and share these mods. I was pondering how such a system could be implimented into the MMO and I came up with an Idea. You can create a Mod server where everyone who subs get access too with a seperate login. On this server you then can allow mods to be created shared and tested. People can then rate these mods and leave comments. The devs job would then be to look at these highly rated mods and choose which ones can be implimented into the live game. This will then give everyone the ability to continue their modding passion in the online game.

Comments

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,627
    Originally posted by blueplain1
    As we all know skyrim is doing really well with the ability for users to create mods and share these mods. I was pondering how such a system could be implimented into the MMO and I came up with an Idea. You can create a Mod server where everyone who subs get access too with a seperate login. On this server you then can allow mods to be created shared and tested. People can then rate these mods and leave comments. The devs job would then be to look at these highly rated mods and choose which ones can be implimented into the live game. This will then give everyone the ability to continue their modding passion in the online game.

This will never happen in a MMO. Not on the scale you are looking for.

"The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

• furbansfurbans Member UncommonPosts: 968
    Are people really stupid enough to think that there will ever be a change that an MMO company would ever allow modders to mod their MMO?  Wake up and smell the roses.
  • blueplain1blueplain1 Member Posts: 13
    Originally posted by furbans
    Are people really stupid enough to think that there will ever be a change that an MMO company would ever allow modders to mod their MMO?  Wake up and smell the roses.

There are quite a few MMO's allowing mods actually, World of warcraft being a big one. SO it was actually a reallity a long time ago

• ScalplessScalpless Member UncommonPosts: 1,426

Neverwinter Nights, while not a traditional MMO, is pretty much all about modding. However, I don't expect ESO to allow any potentially balance-breaking features. Well, I don't expect it to do anything unique.

Besides, TESCS-like modding would be a huge deal and they would've mentioned it already. They can't just implement it this late in the development cycle. It's light-years from easy.

Originally posted by Scalpless

Neverwinter Nights, while not a traditional MMO, is pretty much all about modding. However, I don't expect ESO to allow any potentially balance-breaking features. Well, I don't expect it to do anything unique.

Besides, TESCS-like modding would be a huge deal and they would've mentioned it already. They can't just implement it this late in the development cycle. It's light-years from easy.

Indeed but as a future feature it would be nice. I can understand that they would want to get a completed stable game out first

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

There are quite a few MMO's allowing mods actually, World of warcraft being a big one. SO it was actually a reallity a long time ago

WOW only offers User Interface mods

the Skyrim RPG goes far beyond that for modding

Originally posted by Nadia

WOW only offers User Interface mods

the Skyrim RPG goes far beyond that for modding

Yes it does and that is where I think ESO could bring in a unique crowd for going beyound such.

There could be mods that dont effect the actuall gameplay too much. I also stated aswell that the developers pick the mods they wish to impliment preventing huge alterations. However mods like extra quest packs on extra continents and town improvements, Light changing, Texture changing. It could easily benefit the game because I have seen some really high quality mods for skyrim and I am sure developers would be happy to impliment a few of them. Remember I also stated that a specific test server would look at these mods and not be intergrated into the main test server unless chosen by devs.
  • SlyLoKSlyLoK Member RarePosts: 2,698
    There could be mods that dont effect the actuall gameplay too much. I also stated aswell that the developers pick the mods they wish to impliment preventing huge alterations. However mods like extra quest packs on extra continents and town improvements, Light changing, Texture changing. It could easily benefit the game because I have seen some really high quality mods for skyrim and I am sure developers would be happy to impliment a few of them. Remember I also stated that a specific test server would look at these mods and not be intergrated into the main test server unless chosen by devs.

No.. Even lighting and texture mods would lead to exploits and cheating. That is why mods on the scale of a single player game will never happen in an MMO. Ever.

• svannsvann Member RarePosts: 2,230
    The "modding" in NW was extremely damaging.  Its well known that people used it to exploit the game by making dungeon runs that were very easy aoe-fests and which yielded massive xp.  Then people ran them over and over to the exclusion of all other content.  How do you balance that in an mmo?  How do you limit the players ability to create content without being overly limiting?  It is very dangerous to any mmo that cares about long term balance.
    Originally posted by svann
    The "modding" in NW was extremely damaging.  Its well known that people used it to exploit the game by making dungeon runs that were very easy aoe-fests and which yielded massive xp.  Then people ran them over and over to the exclusion of all other content.  How do you balance that in an mmo?  How do you limit the players ability to create content without being overly limiting?  It is very dangerous to any mmo that cares about long term balance.

As I said...the devs pick the mods....Meaning they will check the mods to see if it would be suitable before implimenting...

• superconductingsuperconducting Member UncommonPosts: 871
    As I said...the devs pick the mods....Meaning they will check the mods to see if it would be suitable before implimenting...

As far as mods go for ESO,

Zenimax has officially stated they plan to allow UI modding only sometime after release.

• WildaboutwildstarWildaboutwildstar Member Posts: 38
    Originally posted by superconducting

Zenimax has officially stated they plan to allow UI modding only sometime after release.

Not what they said in the past.
    I guess its to be expected considering they are abandoning being a real MMO. It really is too bad, the game had potential.
  • keithiankeithian Member UncommonPosts: 3,191
    Originally posted by Wildaboutwildstar
    Originally posted by superconducting

Not what they said in the past. I guess its to be expected considering they are abandoning being a real MMO. It really is too bad, the game had potential.

Thank god the game isn't targeting the under 18 crowd which is Wildstar whose fans think that being an MMO means putting a lot of people on the screen with meaningless PVE that everyone will storywise or RPG wise ignore instead of thoughtful PVE which ESO will hopefully not suffer from. Oh boy, lets click read and accept and run and kill x and y without feeling attached to anything. Thats Wildstar in a nutshell.

There Is Always Hope!

• RoosterNashRoosterNash Member Posts: 283
    I highly doubt they'll allow for modding in the Skyrim sense, but they've already announced that there will indeed be UI modding available at launch. Personally, I love creating mods, but it's not a logical jump for MMOs.

THE Rooster Nash

• BroshiBroshi Member Posts: 8
    Unfortunately, Modding would inevitably lead to exploitation and balance issues.
  • Leoric187Leoric187 Member Posts: 12

With ESO API functions listed, I'm scared to what else they can do!
    Target Enemy Player Live PvP Stats
    If you watch just off center of screen, you will see the UI mode display target enemy players [Name, Class, Level, Health/Stamina/Magicka Pools, Buffs, Debuffs, and Spell Casting Interrupt Timer]

If you don't mind having the option to playing the game at a disadvantage, or if you would like to play having the option that goes against what they've said in interviews.

ZOS is emphasizing that visual cues for enemy abilities that require various player responses are prominently displayed in the world rather than simply as a UI element. Instead of using interface prompts like cast bars or text warnings, players will be required to watch the physical movements of enemies in order to anticipate their attacks.
    UI mod from video directly contradicts this statment.

ZeniMax recognizes the strong role of the modding community in Elder Scrolls franchise, and certain aspects of the game experience, like the UI, will allow for user customization, reskinning, and limited modification. ESO will support LUA based modifications that will allow modders to interact with the game's systems through an API. This will allow modders to create interface based modifications like enhanced combat text or buff timers.
    Client side superficial are fine, but not when its live data used against others .. knowingly or not.

The ESO gameplay experience is designed to be "distraction based", in that instead of following an on-rails trajectory of advancement, players explore the world and encounter quests, dungeons, and events which are strategically placed to emphasize exploration and non-guided advancement
    Contradiction with the allowance for much UI mods.
    ** Quotes from TF.com Development FAQ **
  • DibdabsDibdabs Member RarePosts: 3,203

Mods that allowed you to change what the UI looked like, but that's as far as it went.  You couldn't mod the actual game.  :D

The mods of the type you want will never, ever happen in an mmorpg, because they simply couldn't cater for millions of players having their own individual, modded version of the game.  Interesting idea though.