Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

nevermind a subscription option. how about a subscription only server?

Comments

• DihoruDihoru Member Posts: 2,731

I am gonna step out of this thread as a good, good portion of the people wanting a "subber only" server have no idea what they're talking about. Enjoy wasting your breath gents.

• GholosGholos Member Posts: 209
    Originally posted by issling
    I would love a server with no cash shop in it:) And if the game turns out to be all that, then I would be willing to pay a little over fifteen a month no problem. 

Agree, i would be willing to pay even more tham fifteen a month.

"Brute force not work? It because you not use enought of it"
    -Karg, Ogryn Bone'ead.

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,910
    Wasn't it EQ 2 that had a server where you could buy things with real money that you were not allowed to transfer your character from that server to another. So if they could do that......

• MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    Originally posted by Gholos
    I would love a server with no cash shop in it:) And if the game turns out to be all that, then I would be willing to pay a little over fifteen a month no problem. 

Exactly how much are you willing to pay?   $50 a month?  $125 a month?  $275 a month?  More?  Game companies want to know!

The micro-transaction model is here to stay.  Adapt.

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• RamanadjinnRamanadjinn Member UncommonPosts: 1,365

It will be interesting to find out if this game will be the sort of game that will support multiple servers.

It will be interesting to find out if the cash shop is the sort of cash shop that can support subscription only with no further cash shop possible.

Its as if we're all talking about what sort of steering wheel we want on our new vehicle without knowing if it is even a car or not.

• RoguewizRoguewiz Member UncommonPosts: 711
    Wow, really?  A subscription only server?  How is that a good idea?  People that hate free-to-play games make the argument (other than the pay to win argument) that a free-to-play game can't have a good development cycle.  If you use that argument, what in the world will a single server with a subscription based model do?  I mean seriously, 5-10k people paying $15 a month is not really going to assist a development cycle.

Raquelis in various games
    Played: Everything
    Playing: Nioh 2, Civ6
    Wants: The World
    Anticipating: Everquest Next Crowfall, Pantheon, Elden Ring

Tank - Healer - Support: The REAL Trinity
  • NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    Originally posted by Mendel

Exactly how much are you willing to pay?   $50 a month?  $125 a month?  $275 a month?  More?  Game companies want to know!

Ya this line of thinking has all sorts of fail. As it stands 15 bucks a month is questionable as a fair price. A fool and his money is soon parted. The min we stop questioning if what we pay is a fair price is the min we become fools. When we start begging companies to take more of our money for the same service, well Im not going to talk about the level of dumb that is.

• XevvXevv Member UncommonPosts: 46
    Originally posted by Roguewiz
    Wow, really?  A subscription only server?  How is that a good idea?  People that hate free-to-play games make the argument (other than the pay to win argument) that a free-to-play game can't have a good development cycle.  If you use that argument, what in the world will a single server with a subscription based model do?  I mean seriously, 5-10k people paying $15 a month is not really going to assist a development cycle.

And all these people that think dropping 15 a month is so unthinkable...how much do you think the average one of them is going to spend in the f2p world?

Yea not a damn thing. F2p games are supported by the top few percent of players who just drop large amounts into it.

And then all the ppl who wouldnt spend 15 a month cry that its pay to win.

Company cant win. These ppl want a game they can play 100 hours a week. For free. That has no advantages at all in cash shop for someone else to buy.

• Gallus85Gallus85 Member Posts: 1,092
    Originally posted by Xevv

And all these people that think dropping 15 a month is so unthinkable...how much do you think the average one of them is going to spend in the f2p world?

Yea not a damn thing. F2p games are supported by the top few percent of players who just drop large amounts into it.

And then all the ppl who wouldnt spend 15 a month cry that its pay to win.

Company cant win. These ppl want a game they can play 100 hours a week. For free. That has no advantages at all in cash shop for someone else to buy.

The scenario just isn't feasible.  P2P forced subscriptions is a volatile model.  People don't have time to play for a month or two, and see -$15.99 x2 on their bank account and feel like they got "ripped off" and unsubscribe.  Maybe they would have liked logging into the game later, or once in a while to play, but can't justify the $15 for how little play time they have.  So you're barring people out of the game instead of freely letting them come and go.  As a result you get an active population that is liable to crash at any time.

Then in this specific P2P only server combined with F2P main servers, it gets even worst.  Population declines a bit, then players hear or see the F2P servers full to the brim with other players, so then they move to those.  Or maybe their guild half wants the F2P version and half want the P2P version causing guild issues.

Maybe a player takes a break because he thinks the game isn't "polished" or isn't really interested in the game, then comes back to try the game a few months later.  Oh he can't log into his character until he pays $15 because it was made on the P2P server?  Nope, nvm, he just walks away and doesn't bother re-installing the game.

What about all the people who start on the F2P server to try the game out.  They start to develop their character, make friends, maybe join a guild.  Oh there's a P2P server?  Now they end up wanting to leave to the P2P server, so now they need to buy a server transfer, along with leaving behind the friends they made?

The list can go on and on.  A game with a P2P server option and F2P for other servers would cause nothing but strife and it defeats the point of the F2P model in general.

Legends of Kesmai, UO, EQ, AO, DAoC, AC, SB, RO, SWG, EVE, EQ2, CoH, GW, VG:SOH, WAR, Aion, DF, CO, MO, DN, Tera, SWTOR, RO2, DP, GW2, PS2, BnS, NW, FF:XIV, ESO, EQ:NL

• ice-vortexice-vortex Member UncommonPosts: 960
    Anyone who hoping for a sub-option that gets rid of the cash shop is going to be disappointed. Even World of Warcraft is getting a cash shop.
  • XthosXthos Member UncommonPosts: 2,739
    Originally posted by ice-vortex
    Anyone who hoping for a sub-option that gets rid of the cash shop is going to be disappointed. Even World of Warcraft is getting a cash shop.

People are saying what they would like to happen, but I doubt many/any expect that it would happen.  I am one of the would like, but heck, I have to like the game first, which I have sitting at 50/50, because it will either be a direction I like or hate, if it is so different.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Especially when there are probably going to be subscribers anyway. Many F2P games have the option of paying a subscription, which basically unlocks the entire game. I would bet EQN would have such an option. Would it be worth their time to put those people who are already paying a subscription on a separate server? Would the bulk of those people even want to be on a separate server? How many parents are going to be playing with their kids, where the parent's account is a sub, and the kid's account is a F2P account?

The only sure thing is that there will not be a subscription server that subscription players are required to play on.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• GrixxittGrixxitt Member UncommonPosts: 545

I've been asking for a sub-only option like this since EQN was announced by Smed to be free-to-play.

It's not that I'm against playing with those who don't wish to pay money, I just have had a pretty horrible experience dealing with cheaters in a F2P environment where even if an account is banned, you can script up 10,000 more accounts in a few minutes.

It was bad enough in PS2 where the most a script kiddy could do was kill you a couple times before he was reported, but I really, REALLY, don't want to deal with legions of Chinese bot farmers skrewing up the virtual economy and advertising their RMT shops in global every 5 seconds.

The above is my personal opinion. Anyone displaying a view contrary to my opinion is obviously WRONG and should STHU. (neener neener)

-The MMO Forum Community

• GishgeronGishgeron Member Posts: 1,287
    Originally posted by evilastro
    But then how will SoE milk you? I don't like your chances.

Easy peesy friend.  They will get 15$ a month from you, which is typically higher than the average person pays.  F2P only works because of whales and those will STILL PLAY on the free servers.  IN fact...its entirely possible such a move could yield more money than ever before as long as they have the playerbase to support it.  Dividing your players is only workable when you have millions...otherwise you get left with ghost towns and the feeling that the game isn't good.

• RubrubgrrRubrubgrr Member UncommonPosts: 75
    @ OP, great idea would totally support this. Over the years i have given the F2p crowd a go and a fair go that is, but imho the overall feel of an f2p community is downright toxic and bloody rude, there are plenty of great f2p people BUT they are a quietly spoken minority in my experiences over the years which is sad really.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Originally posted by Distopia

Originally posted by Kyleran

Oh yes, back to the OP, I would support such a subscription only server model, might even pay a little extra for it, no real desire to hang with the freeloaders.  

It's weird that people wonder why there's no social nature to these games anymore.  When the fanbase is split worse than Republicans and Democrats, how could it come as any surprise that there's no real MMO community any longer?

And yet, I'm probably one of the most social gamers out there today.

I'm just choosy about who I associate with.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311

it keeps out the annoying F2P crowd, they also could have more GM events with the GM's actually being GM's, since the more money you would have to pay would justify it.

have you ever heard of the EQ legends server? SOE has a history of having servers like this, its very possible it could happen.

• DihoruDihoru Member Posts: 2,731
    Originally posted by Distopia

Oh yes, back to the OP, I would support such a subscription only server model, might even pay a little extra for it, no real desire to hang with the freeloaders.

It's weird that people wonder why there's no social nature to these games anymore.  When the fanbase is split worse than Republicans and Democrats, how could it come as any surprise that there's no real MMO community any longer?

And yet, I'm probably one of the most social gamers out there today. I'm just choosy about who I associate with.

Not saying you're wrong but you're not right either ;).

• isslingissling Member UncommonPosts: 162
    Originally posted by Nanfoodle

Ya this line of thinking has all sorts of fail. As it stands 15 bucks a month is questionable as a fair price. A fool and his money is soon parted. The min we stop questioning if what we pay is a fair price is the min we become fools. When we start begging companies to take more of our money for the same service, well Im not going to talk about the level of dumb that is.

Well I think we are starting to adapt, there was a time when I would buy everything single mmo that would come out. And now I pass and pass and pass. I think this is why we are seeing more games fail on a much faster rate then before. Thus the games are forced to go f2p from the start along with a box price.

And I don't remember anybody calling you dumb for expressing the model you perfer:) But that is the world we live in, if someone feels diffrent  about something then their just call names:(

• GholosGholos Member Posts: 209
    Originally posted by Nanfoodle

Well I think we are starting to adapt, there was a time when I would buy everything single mmo that would come out. And now I pass and pass and pass. I think this is why we are seeing more games fail on a much faster rate then before. Thus the games are forced to go f2p from the start along with a box price.

And I don't remember anybody calling you dumb for expressing the model you perfer:) But that is the world we live in, if someone feels diffrent  about something then their just call names:(

I m not really interested in what some people here think, i continue to prefer P2P model without a cash shop, and i hope that will be a subscriber's server with the majority of the EQ vets, if not i will see how to do, maybe we could try to make a petition on official EQN forums when online, for now i will wait till the 2nd August.

"Brute force not work? It because you not use enought of it"
    -Karg, Ogryn Bone'ead.

• DullahanDullahan Member EpicPosts: 4,536
    Originally posted by Vorthanion

Something tells me that F2P advocates would not like any company to do something like this.  It might point out just how much more money the company would make off of the subscription server versus that of the F2P server, especially since most if not all of the big spenders would likely opt for the subscription server.

I wouldn't hesitate to play on a subscription only server.

I'm a F2P advocate, just like SOE is, even though I always sub or go premium.  They know that success of a game is all about the long term, and F2P increases longevity of an MMO over P2P.  The hardcore players or those completely devoted to a game, ie. players who sub, need the f2p players to keep their game alive.  The additional money they earn from the F2P crowd pays for future development that the sub crowd needs as well as providing players to interact with, trade with, group with or to simply kill depending on the type of game it is.

A very apparent symbiotic relationship exists between the p2p players and the f2p, and thankfully SOE has learned this.  Others will continue to follow suit as they see competitive alternatives to their games appear in the industry.

• VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749
    Originally posted by Dullahan

Something tells me that F2P advocates would not like any company to do something like this.  It might point out just how much more money the company would make off of the subscription server versus that of the F2P server, especially since most if not all of the big spenders would likely opt for the subscription server.

I wouldn't hesitate to play on a subscription only server.

I'm a F2P advocate, just like SOE is, even though I always sub or go premium.  They know that success of a game is all about the long term, and F2P increases longevity of an MMO over P2P.  The hardcore players or those completely devoted to a game, ie. players who sub, need the f2p players to keep their game alive.  The additional money they earn from the F2P crowd pays for future development that the sub crowd needs as well as providing players to interact with, trade with, group with or to simply kill depending on the type of game it is.

A very apparent symbiotic relationship exists between the p2p players and the f2p, and thankfully SOE has learned this.  Others will continue to follow suit as they see competitive alternatives to their games appear in the industry.

Uh huh, we will see, won't we.  My prediction is that F2P saturation will result in the exact same dilemma that P2P experienced and we will eventually see a resurgence of P2P and B2P with a mix of F2P.  Either way, cash shops will not be going away in the near future, if ever, no matter the payment model.

I can also see SOE trying at another Legends server like they did for EQ.  Where people paid a higher subscription for better premium service.  I'd sign up for many reasons, one of them being the ability to get away from the riff-raff that infest F2P games. 

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Something tells me that F2P advocates would not like any company to do something like this.  It might point out just how much more money the company would make off of the subscription server versus that of the F2P server, especially since most if not all of the big spenders would likely opt for the subscription server. I wouldn't hesitate to play on a subscription only server.

Why would you think companies don't already know this information? Several F2P games have subscription options. The numbers are already out there. I would be amazed if SOE didn't have that information right now. So SOE has the information right now, and they are releasing their next game, the biggest MMO they've ever released*, as a F2P game.

Do you have any data to support the idea that the "big spenders" would move to a subscription only server in large numbers? Even any data that most people even care about the subject? I mean, other than you yourself wanting such a thing of course.

* I am making an assumption here. EQN might be tiny. Smedley does seem to wnat people to think it's a huge game though.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• mehoronmehoron Member Posts: 146
    Originally posted by itchmon

EQ1 has been the innovator of server rulesets.

FV was the OG roleplaying server.

Stromm was a different kind of RP server

the original Zek servers (before they got merged) were 3 different PVP rules.

Stormhammer

the progression servers!

even a hardcore server for a while, though it was only there for a contest.

it shouldnt be that hard for them to keep one server aside for only subscription players, preferably with the CS turned off (or with only certain items turned on).  I bet a lot of people would spit out their 15 a month for the chance to play it old school style, with a more level "playing field".

who else all would play on this server (i would obviously.... pref if it's an rp server)

Why do people always say it has to be 15 a month...Here's an idea, how about we just make the whole damn subscription for everyone the same price as Netflix 7.99.

Would you subscribe to that if it was a game? I sure as hell would.

My contention with 15 dollar subscriptions is that MOST companies don't deliver 15 dollars worth of content for the current times. Things have changed. I can get an entire Adobe CS for that, or turn around and pay for two different streaming services with tons of movies from all over the world.

Let's take a successful example. EvE Online. Sure they charge 15 dollars a month, but all of their expansions and content updates have been free.

Charging 15 a month for the original EQ then charging 30 bucks a pop for your umpteenth expansion is just outlandish in the current times of cheap server hardware and bandwidth.

I'll vote for EQN subscription at 7.99 a month. If they can pull that off, they can have my money till the end of time....for expansions too.

• itchmonitchmon Member RarePosts: 1,999
    Originally posted by baphamet

it keeps out the annoying F2P crowd, they also could have more GM events with the GM's actually being GM's, since the more money you would have to pay would justify it.

have you ever heard of the EQ legends server? SOE has a history of having servers like this, its very possible it could happen.

yeah, that server is exactly what got me thinking about this.

@ a lot of responses, keep in mind i'm not saying the whole game should be sub only.  i just was asking for ONE server to be that way for those of us who want it.

if there are 10 servers, that would  mean 90% of folks would have the free/mium game on the free/mium servers much like EQ1 and 2.

RIP Ribbitribbitt you are missed, kid.

Currently Playing EVE, ESO

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and not clothed.

Dwight D Eisenhower

My optimism wears heavy boots and is loud.

Henry Rollins