Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Runescape is the best sandbox MMO

TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321

Nearly every sandbox MMO that is currently released and will be released is an open world deathmatch FPS full loot clone.  The only good one of these that still offers tons of PvE content is EVE Online.

The only other ones that focus on PvE is Ryzom (and that is dead) and Anarchy Online (that is ancient)...SWG was good too, while that was running.

Runescape however focuses mostly on PvE. This is VERY rare for a sandbox game to do. This is almost unheard of in the sandbox world.

Along with that, the questing is actually good...it isn't go there and kill 10. But you actually have to quest, research, explore and what not...like a proper quest.

And the next update makes the game actually look rather good, especially for a java game.

So for those who prefer PvE...and like sandbox MMOs...Runescape is pretty much the only one out that does this, and will get a more modern look when it gets updated.

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

Comments

• apb2011apb2011 Member UncommonPosts: 168
    Lmfao! Runescape isn't a sandbox mmo. ROFLMAO
  • kabitoshinkabitoshin Member UncommonPosts: 854
    Combat suuuuuuuuuuucks!
  • TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321
    Originally posted by apb2011

yeah it is.

Open world, and a rather large one

No linear and forced questing (there are quests, but you don't have to do them, and they aren't go here and kill x (well some might be, but there are actual quests in this game)

Skill based

Huge crafting system, whether its grindy or not...but just to cook stuff for example, is more involved than most crafting MMOs

No linear paths (sort of relates to no linear questing)

and I'm sure I can come up with more examples of why this is a sandbox MMO.

• TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321
    Originally posted by kabitoshin
    Combat suuuuuuuuuuucks!

EVE Online combat is utterly boring too, and that is a sandbox MMO. Its all the other gameplay elements that make it great

Plus runescape is one of the very few sandbox MMOs that is PvE oriented. Only one that was popular before that was SWG.

• BathnorBathnor Member UncommonPosts: 137
    I agree I love Runescape and how it is a great sandbox game. Skill based, non linear, and great quests that are not just kill 20 goblins and bring me their left eyeballs. The combat is not perfect but it is better with the Evolution of Combat. I am looking foward to the two new skills and Runescape 3 coming later this year.
  • NasherUKNasherUK Member UncommonPosts: 480

It doesn't change the fact that the game is full of 12 year old brats and Chinese goldfarmer bots though. The game would be some what playable if it's community wasn't so bad.

Whenever Runescape is mentioned in other games, it is never in a positive way.  It has a terrible reputation and image and Jagex themselves don't help matters.

• XxGrimmxXXxGrimmxX Member UncommonPosts: 223
    Originally posted by Bathnor
    I agree I love Runescape and how it is a great sandbox game. Skill based, non linear, and great quests that are not just kill 20 goblins and bring me their left eyeballs. The combat is not perfect but it is better with the Evolution of Combat. I am looking foward to the two new skills and Runescape 3 coming later this year.

coming later this month FTFY

• BathnorBathnor Member UncommonPosts: 137
    When RS3 launches later this year it will become an even better sandbox to play in. With the update, players will be able to change the game world through our actions. It is going to start with the battle of Lumbridge. Should be an interesting change to he game.
  • DrelkagDrelkag Member UncommonPosts: 56
    Originally posted by apb2011

Gotta disagree with you there. It's a hybrid of themepark/sandbox but leans heavily towards more sandbox.

• BraindomeBraindome Member UncommonPosts: 959

Yes, Runescape is one of the only games that is more tailored for RPG players with side quests and interaction with community with not so much forced leveling and grouping to progress.

You can sit in the bank and fletch arrows all day long and be an arrow salesman. It has a true sense of what an RPG game should be more so than 99.9% of "MMORPG's".

I'm actually getting to the point where I hate the moniker "MMORPG" as really I just want an RPG that is open world and I can live in and interact with other players and honestly no other game offers that better than Runescape "crazy as it may seem", which is just odd imo that more games haven't copied its formula.

Runescape 3 looks to be pushing it forward a bit, but honestly this type of game deserves more recognition and there should be more games of this type. An open world RPG.

MMORPG games in general don't tend to cater to "RPG" players imho. Runescape is a rare exception.

• HelleriHelleri Member UncommonPosts: 930

In regards to what has been said about the nature of play in runescape. I would say that by default (amount of content in it's ratio to other kinds of content) RuneScape is 2 fourths PvE 1 fourth Safe PvP (as in player on player mini games, such as castle wars), and one Fourth Unsafe PvP (high risk high reward). But the interesting thing is. You only experience the parts you want to.

Like ok, Guthix is a dead (The key God character in Geilinor's storyline), and Saradomin vs. Zamorak is in full throttle...lumbridge is in ruins. And, the gods want me to choose a side. And, the moment I saw all this I said to myself "nty, not right now", and a walked away and went and did some mining. I could easily participate in those events. Even though i have not even really started a lot of the lore quests that technically lead up to that part of the story. And, I chose not to. I decided to put all that off until i catch up on the storyline and experience it first hand at my own pace. And, i can do that. there is no issue with it and I am not missing out on anything by electing not to until I feel my character is ready... and that's nice... to have that freedom in play.

• flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454

Runescape was my first MMO and it seems Ive been trying to find a bigger and better type game since then.  There are many aspects of Runescape I still love and would love to see in other games. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it will be realized in Everquest Next.  I never understood why Runescape world never really expanded. I looked at the world recently and the same cities and world size existed. You would think after all these years we would have a continent doubled in size or discover some new lands.  I doubt I could go back to this game now and don't even know if I like the new look of the game. 

Runescape a sandbox?  I considered Runescape an open world type game with sandbox elements but never considered it a sandbox. 

• AvsRock21AvsRock21 Member UncommonPosts: 256
    Originally posted by TheScavenger
    Originally posted by kabitoshin
    Combat suuuuuuuuuuucks!

EVE Online combat is utterly boring too, and that is a sandbox MMO. Its all the other gameplay elements that make it great

Plus runescape is one of the very few sandbox MMOs that is PvE oriented. Only one that was popular before that was SWG.

Couldn't disagree more... EVE's combat is one of the main reasons I play the game. When you are doing any form of pvp or the higher-end difficult PvE, you are constantly doing things in EVE. Whether it's changing targets, switching modules on and off, changing ship direction, changing ship speed, deploying drones, switching out drones, telling drones to attack target.... EVE's combat requires much more user input and quick thinking than any avatar based mmorpg that I have played. Don't judge the combat from the easy, single-target combat missions from the tutorial...

• HelleriHelleri Member UncommonPosts: 930
    Originally posted by flizzer

Runescape was my first MMO and it seems Ive been trying to find a bigger and better type game since then.  There are many aspects of Runescape I still love and would love to see in other games. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it will be realized in Everquest Next.  I never understood why Runescape world never really expanded. I looked at the world recently and the same cities and world size existed. You would think after all these years we would have a continent doubled in size or discover some new lands.  I doubt I could go back to this game now and don't even know if I like the new look of the game. 

Runescape a sandbox?  I considered Runescape an open world type game with sandbox elements but never considered it a sandbox. 

Runescape has quadrupled it's size since 01' on the surface. And in the last few years, the size of the wilderness has doubled, there are about 7 new large cities, dozens of new dungeons, Deamonhiem, some new islands, and they are working on the eastern lands. Don't let the world map fool you. Because in truth the runescape surface is really just your mundane gateway to more interesting places. And the runescape team has a heavy focus on filling the world that exists to it's brim with content, and breathing new life into old content, before making expansions on the surface land area itself. They tend to grow the world when it is truly necessary and actually ready for it. You really do have to explore, and pay attention to curious things that you "don't remember being there before".