Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Preview] General: Cube World: It's Hip to Be Cube

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Cube World is one of the hottest fads on the internet today with thousands of people ponying up about $20 to play the open world RPG. The ultimate plan, before ruling the universe that is, is to have MMO servers as well. We've checked out Cube World and have some thoughts to share. Read on and then let us know what you think in the comments.

The next question you might have is, “What is a voxel?” I did too, so I looked it up. A Voxel is a volumetric pixel element. It is in essence a 3 dimensional bitmap. Another example of a voxel based game is Minecraft. It is important to note that you can make smaller voxels than what Cube World is using. The game designer made the game this blocky as an artistic choice, not a limitation of voxels.  Picroma has a set of procedures that randomly generate your world based off of a seed number you provide it. You will never reach a border in Cube World, the world will continue to grow as your explore it. You will also never reach a level cap. As you continue to grow stronger so too will the enemies you encounter.

Read more of Rob Lashley's Cube World: It's Hip to Be Cube.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• DracogeekDracogeek Member UncommonPosts: 31
    The version of Cube World being sold is considered an alpha version. He's considering experimenting with the idea of making it an mmo but that doesn't mean he will do it. Also, until that happens, there's nothing massive about the multiplayer aspect of the game, it's 2 to 4 players. The game of fun though.
  • shibonoryushibonoryu Member Posts: 23
    You can actually modify your server to support more than 4 players, however it will only ever show 4 players in the party. I've played on a friends server hosting 30 people.

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

I like all the Cube World features... IF it also had the building of Minecraft.

See, in Minecraft there is (obviously) crafting and enchanting of weapons (with leveling up per say) and there are random dungeons full of more difficult mobs, an end-boss monster to get to after fighting through both the above world and hell world...

So what exactly is Cube World offering on top of that?

More races/classes? Procedurally generated quests?

I'd rather have the building aspect on top of the adventuring aspect.

I'm not sold yet.

• NephaeriusNephaerius Member UncommonPosts: 1,671
    Originally posted by Dracogeek
    The version of Cube World being sold is considered an alpha version. He's considering experimenting with the idea of making it an mmo but that doesn't mean he will do it. Also, until that happens, there's nothing massive about the multiplayer aspect of the game, it's 2 to 4 players. The game of fun though.

You are wrong on several points.  It has nothing to do with making it an MMO.  Just large MP servers like Minecraft has.  It's right on their homepage that it's their plan and currently you can already set up servers for more than 4 people.

Steam: Neph

• Paragus1Paragus1 Member UncommonPosts: 1,741
    Love this game and I'm excited about seeing how it grows.
  • pappacubepappacube Member UncommonPosts: 99
    my dude whacked a turtle, the turtle promptly kicked his ass.  I quit the game....
  • Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766
    Game looks really intiresting and I am seriously considering buying it, it's only what 15 euros or something, that isn't too bad at all. I've seen people running around as level 5000 though, and I'm wondering how long that would take.
  • PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,072
    Originally posted by pappacube
    my dude whacked a turtle, the turtle promptly kicked his ass.  I quit the game....

~Super Mario Bros. beta tester, 1985

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    Cube world is very fun and I am enjoying it but every day I play I sit there and wonder why no one hasn't done a non voxel based, graphically pleasing version of this type of game with something no cube'y.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

Originally posted by azzamasin
    Cube world is very fun and I am enjoying it but every day I play I sit there and wonder why no one hasn't done a non voxel based, graphically pleasing version of this type of game with something no cube'y.

Like Starforge?

Originally posted by BadSpock

See, in Minecraft there is (obviously) crafting and enchanting of weapons (with leveling up per say) and there are random dungeons full of more difficult mobs, an end-boss monster to get to after fighting through both the above world and hell world...

I'm not sold yet.

A lot of people, myself included hate crafting, building, or creating.  We just want an infinite replayable progression and quest based game.  To create any type of building or minecraft qualities will destroy and undermine what and who the game is developed for. 

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

I'm not sold yet.

A lot of people, myself included hate crafting, building, or creating.  We just want an infinite replayable progression and quest based game.  To create any type of building or minecraft qualities will destroy and undermine what and who the game is developed for. 

Oh I misunderstood what you were looking for so nevermind my Starforge suggestion.

• MondoA2JMondoA2J Member Posts: 258

I'm not sold yet.

It is in alpha.

I agree it has quite a few hurdles to get through.

Unfortunately everyone is going to look at this game and think "isn't this minecraft?"

Which puts them in direct competition. Minecraft is far more established and far more features. Even if they aren't the same game and Cube world wants to be something else. The style they choose is going to shoot them in the foot.

Either bring in features more like Minecraft or just go completely in the opposite direction.

Ill keep my eye on Cube World.

MMORPG Gamers/Developers need a reality check!

• BattlerockBattlerock Member CommonPosts: 1,393
    I am always amazed at what is popular. I know it runs on more systems .... but I am still amazed at what others like and what I like. Of every game available to man, I would never pass the time with this game. That sounds snobby, but like I said, I am always amazed at what is popular and what I like. At least the world appears to be a nice shade of green.
  • SephastusSephastus Member UncommonPosts: 455

Battlerock, a few things: This is not like minecraft where it will run on just about any system out there. It actually takes a little more horsepower.

What you are saying you don't like, is just the art direction of the game, and you indeed have your preference.

The first "land", or chunk of the world will always be green, and it will take you about half an hour to cut from one end to the other... guess what? It has many different types of chunks, including deserts with pyramid dungeons, oceans with islands, jungles, snowy areas, complete with mammoths, lava areas, all manner of boss monsters that take quite a bit to kill, ala Monster Hunter.

You have 3 methods of transportation, including riding most pets that you can tame, boating, and even hangliding.

It also has crafting, where you can actually customize the end results appearance by putting blocks on it. This has the added benefit of additional damage.

For a game in early alpha (access started less than a month ago), and developed by only one person, over a span of 2 years in a labor of love, this is really good, and in my opinion, worthy of support.

If you have over 200 people working on a game, with a budget in the millions, and you can barely keep people playing for a few months... there is something to be said about that. Anyways, while this will most likely not be like minecraft in popularity because people will constantly just look at it saying: "isn't this minecraft", it is indeed worthy of a look... at least through youtube. It does speak for itself.

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    It looks more like Super Adventure Box than Minecraft, mostly because of the super bright colors.  I want to test it out, but I've got a ton of other games to play already.  I like that they're comparing it to Zelda though, that's always a good thing.
  • ionxeelionxeel Member UncommonPosts: 318
    I had nothing to play while waiting for FFXIV: ARR to come out, so I got this not really expecting much, but I gotta say so far the game's a lot of fun.
  • TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,026

They chose to be blocky? I'll come back to these games when they start looking real. "We can make it real ... but decided not to".  Then I decided not to play it.

You stay sassy!

Originally posted by Battlerock
    I am always amazed at what is popular. I know it runs on more systems .... but I am still amazed at what others like and what I like. Of every game available to man, I would never pass the time with this game. That sounds snobby, but like I said, I am always amazed at what is popular and what I like. At least the world appears to be a nice shade of green.

I bet it's the graphics that get you isn't it?

Gameplay before eye candy my friend.  As a game it is darned fun, compelling, slightly original, but truly entertaining.  Graphics suck but I've always said graphics doesn't make the game. (unless we're talking about cartoony gfx or Asian gfx, can't get past that for whatever reason).

• aspekxaspekx Member UncommonPosts: 2,167

how is copying Minecraft's level of cubiness an artistic choice?

Blockscape is prettier:

http://www.blockscape.com/v2/

also check out 7 Days to Die:

http://7daystodie.com/

"There are at least two kinds of games.
    One could be called finite, the other infinite.
    A finite game is played for the purpose of winning,
    an infinite game for the purpose of continuing play."
    Finite and Infinite Games, James Carse

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

The game looks really cool, but I'm not sure the RPG aspects of the game are anything special compared to other indie RPG.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• Binny45Binny45 Member UncommonPosts: 522
    Bought two copies of this game and am VERY impressed.  It's hard to start, gotta pick your enemies wisely.

Originally posted by lizardbones

The game looks really cool, but I'm not sure the RPG aspects of the game are anything special compared to other indie RPG.

The RPG aspects are some of the best in the business.  Unlimited progression, Unlimited areas to explore. I can that pretty damn good RPG aspects.

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,629
    I bought it played for two days and haven't looked back. Connecting to play with other players is too cumbersome.
    "The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by lizardbones The game looks really cool, but I'm not sure the RPG aspects of the game are anything special compared to other indie RPG.
    The RPG aspects are some of the best in the business.  Unlimited progression, Unlimited areas to explore. I can that pretty damn good RPG aspects.

No, what I mean is that from what I've seen there isn't anything there that I haven't already seen before, like a bazillion times. I'm still keeping an eye on the game though. I've been following it since well before the guy went to and then left Mojang.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.