Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guild Wars 2 or Neverwinter

Valgar1Valgar1 Member UncommonPosts: 324

Hey gang,

Looking to play one of these 2 games as i have not been having fun on MMO's in general past 6 months. Have a family so i really only have the time to pick one.  Looking for fun and people  to hang around with. PvP dont matter to me.

Thanks!

Comments

• RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,785

GW2 has an exceptionally crafted world, it's an enjoyable journey. Neverwinter is really much more linear though the combat is more akin to an ARPG.

And as far as people go, it's all about who you associate with, find a good group of people and have at it.

• RamanadjinnRamanadjinn Member UncommonPosts: 1,365

I can't speak to NW as I never really gave it a good try.

GW2 is a great game though.  

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

Really I'm one to say try both. I feel that its much better to give games a chance and try it out rather then limiting to one or another. Still if you insist.

Guildwars 2... ideally try it first before buying since you can tell pretty quickly how it is. An alright game, though I feel very over-rated. Still it might be your style. Neverwinter isn't as 'finely laid out' so to speak with its design though the combat is much more refined then what guildwars 2 has. That being said the cash shop is over priced if you do want things and while GW2 doesn't have all that much to do, Neverwinter isn't much better off, having more a 'gear progression' system to keep you busy while being a bit void of varied content. I think Gw2 does actually perform a bit better in the varied content detail though its still a bit to focused on combat which I feel is its weak point.

Play neverwinter since its free, and once a free trial of GW2 when it comes up again. It only took me about 2 hours of play before red flags started to get raised for me that it wasn't that great. GW2 was one of the weakest launches, both failing to be entertaining for myself and having flaws in areas that really harm the game from a more objective standpoint. Its something I just highly suggest holding off on to play the trial and see if you like it. If you don't like the combat, your going to very easily not like the game.

• furbansfurbans Member UncommonPosts: 968

The only the reason I would pick Neverwinter is for the D&D aspect, which would only be the lore and setting as everything else is out hte window with feats, class mechanics ect ect.

If you want a well rounded MMO with crafting, dungeons, social, ect ect then GW2 completely blows Neverwinter out the water.

Bout the only thing that Neverwinter offers to make up for all the short comings is the Foundry which is a limited toolset.

Keep in mind that Neverwinter is an VERY intrusive cash shop.  While all the content is free but everything they can charge you for they charge you for from simple bags to mount training to decent companions to crafting tools, to upgrading high tier runes for enchants.

• JemcrystalJemcrystal Member UncommonPosts: 1,984

I never played GW2 it's still box and not free.  I can't advice you on it.

Neverwinter is completely free but I left for several reasons.  

First reason dungeon glitches.  This game just came out of Beta so there is a chance they may fix them over time.  I don't have the patience.  Those glitches were all around the parts of the game I liked - the foundry (creating you own dungeon) and dungeons above level 40 are borked.  They pay you Auction House gold to dungeon but you can't get a party 40+ even with the dungeon finder.  No one wants to spend half hour or more of their time in a dungeon only to loose everything at a boss glitch.  

Second the pvp arena was the only thing everyone wanted to do.  That's because in Neverwinter they pay you Auction House gold for pvping and IT TAKES LESS TIME THAN A DUNGEON and you can do it repeatedly (you are encouraged to).  I did play the pvp arena and liked it's set up (note I am a pve fascist so that's saying something) but in the end I just felt like the game was forcing me against my will to pvp if I wanted money.

Questing was nice with voice acting and a sparkle trail (turns off some but I like it).  But non-trinity dungeon play and creation are what float my cyber joy.  

Neverwinter's crafting is the biggest joke ever.  Worse than Aion.  Not because of the setup (crafting on your person and not going to a work station) but nothing you craft is worth anything!  I mean laughably so.

There's bad main city lag on the best of PC's.  

The world felt smallish as in cut into zones.  If you are going to make a 3d game and reduce it's size to zones you might as well make it a 2d browser and save yourself some lag.  To me 3d should be a big ass world with fields of flowers.  That was NOT a quitting point for me just something that's been bothering me with 3d games of late.  I would have stayed with Neverwinter I liked it a lot if they hadn't played favorites with the pvp crowd.

There's a level 60 crowd of elites that dominate the guilds.  This is not their fault but the result game design.  Game makers really need to do away with character levels and go to a skill leveling only.  Skill up games do not get rid of elitism unless you hide from players their overall character level.

• Valgar1Valgar1 Member UncommonPosts: 324

Thanks for the replies guys, think im going to give GW 2 a shot. Just reading they seem to have better class/choice selection. Not to mention a bigger world.

Thanks agin!

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    My advice would be DL Neverwinter, give it a test run ( it's free). If it's not to your liking buy GW2.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• davc123davc123 Member UncommonPosts: 458
    Both are sux :(           gw2 sux no endgame