Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Preview] Aion: 4.0 Breathes Life into Atreia

Comments

• KattalakisKattalakis Member UncommonPosts: 3

I believe the fast Track Server was created as a response to the numerous complaints that they got from people about how hard it was to level while constantly getting killed by the opposing faction. Some people have no problem having to always keep one eye over their shoulder on the lookout for the enemy but there are others who prefer to be able to quest in peace. Now both options are available.

It also makes it much easier to fill groups. Now the waiting for your group to form so you can start whatever it is that you are doing doesn't take as long. This was probably also taken into consideration.

• RazeeksterRazeekster Member UncommonPosts: 2,591
    My problem with this game is it's just soo boring to get to max lvl that I always end up quitting before getting there. Also, what the heck is up with the ground textures? Just awful.

Smile

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    Originally posted by Eberhardt
    Originally posted by Ozmodan
    Originally posted by elocke
    I downloaded 4.0 last week.  2 days later I uninstalled because it's still boring as hell to me.  It hasn't changed THAT much, all it did was add 2 new classes and who knows what to endgame.  I'll never know because the leveling game is horrible and combat sucks.  Again, just my opinion.

Agree, plus you have to have that Pando Media Booster virus installed, which is a flat out no no, far as I am concerned.

Pando media virus..."virus" lol. People still think this is a virus? Is bittorrent a virus too? Are you going to try and tell me that Google Chrome isn't a web browser next? If that's the only thing turning you off of games then you should never play another MMO. Every MMO with the exception of a few higher end AAA titles have some form of delivery software. Happy cloud for Tera, Pando mediabooster(which is no longer required, just an FYI, since NC got rid of the old launcher for aion.), even the Akami Netsession software is used by a few companies. It's just delivery software...pretty much the same exact thing as Bittorrent you just can't interact with it.

Also...Did you guys even try going to the fast track server? or did you just go outside and try to grind one or two mobs.

You obviously do not understand how pando works.  Good for developers, bad for the users, it lets your PC act like a host for others software downloads. 

• notusernotuser Member Posts: 12
    Originally posted by Kattalakis

I have been playing Aion since Sept 09' and it has changed drastically since then. Leveling has gotten extremely easy. Many of the quests and campaigns have been made easier. Mobs have been moved, removed or have been made easier to kill. I have a level 51 Songweaver and the only thing that I have done to get to that level is campaigns and a few instance runs with a very few regular quests thrown in.

As far as Pando Media Booster goes you no longer have to have it installed to play and/or update Aion. They have removed that requirement.

They have implemented the Fast Track Server. Anyone on any server from level 1 to 55 can access it. It is a pvp free zone with xp boosted to help you level. It also makes it easier to find groups when you need them because there are people there from all servers not just the one that you are from. The players level 50-55 do not get the boosted xp rate on the Fast Track Server but they can access it in the 50-55 areas of Inggisson and Gelkmarcos.

The only problem that I have with 4.0 is the new regions of Katalam and Danaria have become a zerg fest. It is nearly impossible to go anywhere without running into the opposing faction and they are most likely running in groups so if you hope to get anything done you better be in a group also.

it was same in 3.0-2.5-2.0

this game got ruined in once they added the 55 zone

i remember that was imposible to play in a open pvp world  anymore as old lvl 50max,

every time got zerged by aliances, even aliances from transformded people..

totally a skill less zergfest, jsut spam the stronger attack and pray 

plus there were TONS of damn agroo mobs everywhere..

I feel sad for this game, i liked it, a lot..It have really good combat mechanics,

but the good part ,running in a open world and hunting people were complete destroyed.

sorry for my crappy english 

• lafaiellafaiel Member UncommonPosts: 93

I wouldn't say it exactly breathed new life in the game, most of the people I know that came back just left again, I stopped logging in myself.  They want more money from us yet they still haven't fixed thier website for the last 2 years now, people still have  problems logging in and the player search does not work, and thier server latency is crap, most players in the US still have to use a proxy service like battle ping  or WTFast just to have stable ping when I get 30 to the FFXIV servers in canada.

The game is seriously mismanaged, they want everythng you have but give you nothing in return, they made the dungeon cool downs longer so they can sell more reset scrolls, and now added a "prestige pack" which  is like a sub that lets you get a little lower CD on instances, but I refuse to spend money on a game thats not maintained.

• gaeanprayergaeanprayer Member UncommonPosts: 2,341
    My problem with Aion has always been the zerg-fest PvP. It's fun during seiges in the Abyss, but when you're just farming materials or questing solo, constantly running into groups of the opposing faction is tedious and frustrating. I never once ran into just one or two people, it was always huge groups coming through rifts or bully farming people in the Abyss. The only way to fight it was to join in a group and do the same thing...except the time you spend chasing people around the map or rushing to a battle just for the target to die to the zerg before you get there...it's just, ugh. I don't know how anyone found that fun, but it wasn't for me. Shame, because I enjoyed the game itself. I didn't mind the grind (not including crafting rng grind, that was irksome), I loved the difficulty of the raids and the challenge of maintaining ownership during Alliance battles. It's too bad the other stuff is such a big part of the game, too.

"Forums aren't for intelligent discussion; they're for blow-hards with unwavering opinions."

• Otaku_IshiOtaku_Ishi Member UncommonPosts: 12
    Reading 95% of this review, I'm trying it out again. Use to seriously enjoy this game. Gunner class sounds nice :P
  • bizoux86bizoux86 Member UncommonPosts: 85

The first MMO I ever got into was Aion, back when it first came out my husband and I saw the game on the shelf and from the moment we first logged in we were both hooked! I mean my hubby even built me my own gaming computer just so we wouldn't be sharing the one computer anymore for this game - haha. 

Boy have my opinions for this game changed in the past five years! I loved everything about this game, it was just epic. I have since left it, haven't logged in since last year - actually uninstalled it :/  I am very sentimental about this particular game because it is the one that got me into MMO's! But even I have to admit that there are some things about this game/company that ruin it for me...

The latency issues would be my first complaint, my husband and I live in the Northern US and have always had to use WTFast for this game - from day one it was always crazy pings for us. It was a pretty common occurrence for us to be rubberbanding around corners when there were a lot of people around, fort sieges were insane (back when there were 600-800people in a single abyss battle I couldn't move my toon at all! Let alone heal anyone!)  The game always feels laggy and not smooth, after playing games like WoW and GW2 I have realized that Aion is really pretty bad :(  I have thought about coming back and checking it out from time to time, but the lag and high ping are really just too much....

I also can't stand the fact that whoever is in charge of the website can't get their act together and update the damn thing! I mean they still haven't updated gear from the Balurea expansion!  Anyone that has a max level toon looks naked on the website because none of their gear is recognized by the website - it is really just laughable at this point.

I didn't care for what they were offering on the cash shop either, a little too close to a pay to win game IMO...

But there will always be a special place in my heart for Aion. Ahh the days of epic fort seiges, flying, dredges (had some great dredges with my static team!) open world pvp was great back when the most geared people had Fenris haha! Also the character creation is one of the best I have ever seen, so much customization is awesome!

• BookahBookah Member UncommonPosts: 260

If aion ever fixes there Laggy ass server ping problems I would come back in a second.

I get under 50 ping in wow, gw2, even rift is awesome but AIon I have to have a proxy and even then its terrible...

Idk if its bad design or a cheap server rental scheme but man this game is LAGGY & UNRESPONSIVE. Unplayable realy,

• Nhoj1983Nhoj1983 Member UncommonPosts: 185
    Originally posted by bizoux86

The first MMO I ever got into was Aion, back when it first came out my husband and I saw the game on the shelf and from the moment we first logged in we were both hooked! I mean my hubby even built me my own gaming computer just so we wouldn't be sharing the one computer anymore for this game - haha. 

Boy have my opinions for this game changed in the past five years! I loved everything about this game, it was just epic. I have since left it, haven't logged in since last year - actually uninstalled it :/  I am very sentimental about this particular game because it is the one that got me into MMO's! But even I have to admit that there are some things about this game/company that ruin it for me...

The latency issues would be my first complaint, my husband and I live in the Northern US and have always had to use WTFast for this game - from day one it was always crazy pings for us. It was a pretty common occurrence for us to be rubberbanding around corners when there were a lot of people around, fort sieges were insane (back when there were 600-800people in a single abyss battle I couldn't move my toon at all! Let alone heal anyone!)  The game always feels laggy and not smooth, after playing games like WoW and GW2 I have realized that Aion is really pretty bad :(  I have thought about coming back and checking it out from time to time, but the lag and high ping are really just too much....

I also can't stand the fact that whoever is in charge of the website can't get their act together and update the damn thing! I mean they still haven't updated gear from the Balurea expansion!  Anyone that has a max level toon looks naked on the website because none of their gear is recognized by the website - it is really just laughable at this point.

I didn't care for what they were offering on the cash shop either, a little too close to a pay to win game IMO...

But there will always be a special place in my heart for Aion. Ahh the days of epic fort seiges, flying, dredges (had some great dredges with my static team!) open world pvp was great back when the most geared people had Fenris haha! Also the character creation is one of the best I have ever seen, so much customization is awesome!

Lots to love in this game.  I spent a good three years in Aion.  My first mmo love was L2 and I had a very similar experience.  I wouldn't say Aion is bad but it is aimed at a certain sort of player.   I never say never to a return and I finally managed to get the frames over 60 in a conjested areas. (I7 4770k is the key)  Also adding a ssd onto my system is night and day for the game(gets rid of the slow loading avatars and most the lag).  There's always that "you can't go back" feeling.. many if not all those friends you made are gone but hey there will always be memories and heck who knows what else they'll add in the future?  I'm still waiting for that underwater area they hinted at in visions.

• VicodinTacoVicodinTaco Member UncommonPosts: 804
    Originally posted by RudedawgCDN

Well they may have "breathed new life" into the game - but I can't reregister my old account from 2011 as I have a new email address - and for some reason I can't use my old username.

I did try 20 different combinations of new usernames and they all come up "taken" - so guess I won't be playing NCSoft :)

Yeah this happened to me when I tried to play GW1 over a year ago with NCSoft.  They changed everything upside down and I had to do 3 days of research and fucking e-mail support to try to put all the pieces together to get a username and password.

• VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749
    Originally posted by Torvaldr

I liked the game and the Spiritmaster was a fun pet class.  I must be really out of touch with the rest of the mmo players because I like the slow leveling curve.  What I didn't and don't like still is the very linear nature of the game, the fact it all ends in pvp with no pve option, and that the launcher/patcher always wanted to reinstall Pando Media Booster just to update the fricken game.

Now there is Rift for themepark tab-target pve and that is good enough for me although I still miss my Spiritmaster the same way I miss my Lore-master in LotRO.

Anyway, good for the Aion fans.  I'm glad NC isn't letting this one totally rot.

EQ style leveling curve I could deal with, but Aion, even now is like playing in constant hell level mode from old EQ.  This is once I get a character to level 25 or so, before that, it is tolerable.  I had hoped to like the Bard enough to stick with it, but the long length of their animations combined with the long cast timers drove me batty.

• zimeronzimeron Member UncommonPosts: 15

Aion is fine and all, but what really bothers me is the distinct lack of any sort of Anistropic Filtering and Anti-Aliasing that I could have sworn used to be in the game.  I have seen posts about the options being in the graphics settings menu in previous updates, but they just aren't there anymore. 

And the worst part: I can't even force AA or AF at the driver level because Aion works off a bin file instead of an exe like a game that makes sense.  nVidia software only recognizes .exe's and the game looks no better with settings turned on at driver level.  Someone seriously ballsed up the graphical stuff in this release, because it used to be a beautiful game.

• Kysis_KirinKysis_Kirin Member Posts: 1
    I really dont know why people are still complaining about the slow leveling. With how low they made the exp requirments to level and the increse to the exp campaign quests its like 2-3 campaign quests per level till 41-42 where you then run out of campaigns. when 4.0 came out i leveled a songweaver to 50 in 3 day. 3 DAYS. it took 2 months to get to 55 back in 2.0 and then 1.5 months to get to 60 in 3.5 (from level 1 for both i mean). now its what 1-2 weeks?  anyone who thinks the leveling in aion is still a grind fest is dead wrong. i skipped all the old quests i use to do to level and only did campaigns and a few key instance runs to gear up and i was 50 i was actually suprised cause i hadnt meant to level fast at all.
  • MeneferMenefer Member Posts: 1
    I downloaded 4.0 last week.  2 days later I uninstalled because it's still boring as hell to me.  It hasn't changed THAT much, all it did was add 2 new classes and who knows what to endgame.  I'll never know because the leveling game is horrible and combat sucks.  Again, just my opinion.

and your opinion matters. i personally like the game but yes i agree with u it needs something more i like the leveling speed its balanced. but the P2W needs to change like yesterday would of been perfect lolz but beggars cant be choosers xD . and its thanks to our opinions they can make a game better anyone that gets mad at some ones opinion is a poop lolz XD

• JudgeUKJudgeUK Member RarePosts: 1,676
    Originally posted by Menefer

and your opinion matters. i personally like the game but yes i agree with u it needs something more i like the leveling speed its balanced. but the P2W needs to change like yesterday would of been perfect lolz but beggars cant be choosers xD . and its thanks to our opinions they can make a game better anyone that gets mad at some ones opinion is a poop lolz XD

I agree that opinions matter - providing:

There is reasoning behind them. To just say something like combat sucks doesn't tell people why. Is it range combat that's the issue? melee? pet commands? Add some thought behind the comment, rather than just this sucks.

All it did was add two new classes?  - not sure how adding these could be a disappointment. I cannot think of another high profile mmo that has introduced new two classes simultaneously. 

"who knows what to end game" - well the obvious inference here is that the poster hasn't researched what is going to be introduced.

So yes well informed opinions can be important

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534

uh shocking, you reinstalled a game you didnt like, and STILL didn't like it?

leveling actually was boosted like shit. you might have noticed if you would have tried.

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749
    Originally posted by Kysis_Kirin
    I really dont know why people are still complaining about the slow leveling. With how low they made the exp requirments to level and the increse to the exp campaign quests its like 2-3 campaign quests per level till 41-42 where you then run out of campaigns. when 4.0 came out i leveled a songweaver to 50 in 3 day. 3 DAYS. it took 2 months to get to 55 back in 2.0 and then 1.5 months to get to 60 in 3.5 (from level 1 for both i mean). now its what 1-2 weeks?  anyone who thinks the leveling in aion is still a grind fest is dead wrong. i skipped all the old quests i use to do to level and only did campaigns and a few key instance runs to gear up and i was 50 i was actually suprised cause i hadnt meant to level fast at all.

I should be able to level at a reasonable pace by doing the content I enjoy, which is primarily the old style quests and killing stuff.  I wasn't interested in doing the campaign content, so yeah, the leveling was painful enough to not want to play anymore once I got my bard up to 26.  I get no enjoyment from funneled content, whether it be campaign, raiding or pvp.  Why are developers so unwilling to offer multiple paths of progression in their games any more, especially in the mid to upper levels?

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534
    Originally posted by Eberhardt

Agree, plus you have to have that Pando Media Booster virus installed, which is a flat out no no, far as I am concerned.

Pando media virus..."virus" lol. People still think this is a virus? Is bittorrent a virus too? Are you going to try and tell me that Google Chrome isn't a web browser next? If that's the only thing turning you off of games then you should never play another MMO. Every MMO with the exception of a few higher end AAA titles have some form of delivery software. Happy cloud for Tera, Pando mediabooster(which is no longer required, just an FYI, since NC got rid of the old launcher for aion.), even the Akami Netsession software is used by a few companies. It's just delivery software...pretty much the same exact thing as Bittorrent you just can't interact with it.

Also...Did you guys even try going to the fast track server? or did you just go outside and try to grind one or two mobs.

You obviously do not understand how pando works.  Good for developers, bad for the users, it lets your PC act like a host for others software downloads. 

that's called a torrent system, most mmos use it tho days.

if you can't handle a game's starter (or it's companies starter), i suggest you don't play games in the next few years, you won't have a lot of fun then.

blizz will do EXACTLY the same btw.... shocked 8 million users i guess... yeayea.

i have pando installed, and it doesn't do anything i dont want it to do. if you can't handle your pc.... you maybe better should have sticked to the PS3 :P

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• SBE1SBE1 Member UncommonPosts: 340
    One of the worst grind games I have ever played.  Even with double XP servers, I can't imagine going through that grind session ever again.  Was absolutely horrible.
  • elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335
    Originally posted by Thane

uh shocking, you reinstalled a game you didnt like, and STILL didn't like it?

leveling actually was boosted like shit. you might have noticed if you would have tried.

What does the leveling being boosted have to do with my post?  Nothing.  I said it was boring.  That has nothing to do with length of time to level.

Secondly, I've reinstalled games I didn't like and ended up liking them.  Very few, I agree but it has happened.  Lotro being the best example.  First 2 years of that game drove me nuts, then the Moria expansion hit and the combat had a retool done and it was hands above what had come before, so I bought a lifetime sub and haven't regretted it since.

• elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335
    Originally posted by JudgeUK
    Originally posted by Menefer

I agree that opinions matter - providing:

There is reasoning behind them. To just say something like combat sucks doesn't tell people why. Is it range combat that's the issue? melee? pet commands? Add some thought behind the comment, rather than just this sucks.

All it did was add two new classes?  - not sure how adding these could be a disappointment. I cannot think of another high profile mmo that has introduced new two classes simultaneously. 

"who knows what to end game" - well the obvious inference here is that the poster hasn't researched what is going to be introduced.

So yes well informed opinions can be important

Fine, I'll bite.  The combat, to me, felt off pace.   The "feel" of combat feels off as do the sound effects which accompany it.  I really detest the whole flight system and control style as it doesn't fit what I think it should "feel" like.  It's subjective to be sure.  Secondly, 2 new classes.  Shouldn't they feel different and bring something unique to the table?  Playing them felt like all the other classes.  Same boring pace of combat, same horrid sound effects, same lack of connecting with my character and the game world. 

I don't need to research the endgame because if the leveling game is this bad, the endgame isn't worth the trouble it takes to get to it.  Again, OPINION.   

• BookahBookah Member UncommonPosts: 260
    Originally posted by Nhoj1983

Lots to love in this game.  I spent a good three years in Aion.  My first mmo love was L2 and I had a very similar experience.  I wouldn't say Aion is bad but it is aimed at a certain sort of player.   I never say never to a return and I finally managed to get the frames over 60 in a conjested areas. (I7 4770k is the key)  Also adding a ssd onto my system is night and day for the game(gets rid of the slow loading avatars and most the lag).  There's always that "you can't go back" feeling.. many if not all those friends you made are gone but hey there will always be memories and heck who knows what else they'll add in the future?  I'm still waiting for that underwater area they hinted at in visions.

fyi i have a brand new rig -8 core very nice SSD & graphics card (and 25 down 2 up) and even still Aion is unplayable if you live in New England---they have a serious problem with there game and server tech, its fine if you live in say Texas...

• bizoux86bizoux86 Member UncommonPosts: 85
    Originally posted by Nhoj1983

I wish that just upgrading my computer was enough to fix the issues with Aion's lag/FPS and ping :/ I upgraded to a SSD and have  an 8core processor! These really didn't do much for my problems sadly.... I would totally install it again and mess around with my cleric if I knew a sure fire way to deal with this, but computer upgrades and a proxy server don't help. 

• furyasian333furyasian333 Member Posts: 1
    Aion just flat out died.