Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SOE Releases video of "The Black Box" where the game is being made

Comments

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163
    lol I though it was funny
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• superconductingsuperconducting Member UncommonPosts: 871

OK, so I'm trying to figure out what the kobold in the painting he's referring to is.

Does he mean this thing? I do know there were doubts about it being a Ratonga.

This creature looks awfully similar to what kobold's would usually be depicted as.

For example, a google image search of kobold gives this:

However, this was labeled as Kobold in the old concept art:

Could they have changed the kobold to a reptilian-like creature?

• MargulisMargulis Member CommonPosts: 1,614
    Originally posted by roninprogram
    I just slowed it down. He says, "You actually spent the time to slow down the audio looking for an easter egg? I can't believe you did that. They told me you would. I'm impressed. Well, here you go: That thing in the painting is actually a kobold."

How do you go about slowing it down to hear that?

Originally posted by superconducting

OK, so I'm trying to figure out what the kobold in the painting he's referring to is.

This creature looks awfully similar to what kobold's would usually be depicted as.

Yeah he's got to be talking about the one from the concept art people were trying to figure out.  You slowed it down too right?  what program did you use or how do you do that?  I want to hear it lol

• ice-vortexice-vortex Member UncommonPosts: 960

That last picture is obviously a gnoll. It was definitely mislabeled.

• mjr727mjr727 Member UncommonPosts: 22
    Originally posted by Margulis
    I just slowed it down. He says, "You actually spent the time to slow down the audio looking for an easter egg? I can't believe you did that. They told me you would. I'm impressed. Well, here you go: That thing in the painting is actually a kobold."

How do you go about slowing it down to hear that?

Audacity

• MaelzraelMaelzrael Member UncommonPosts: 405

If this game is not the most innovative game in the history of the genre no one will ever ever get hyped about a game ever again.

• superconductingsuperconducting Member UncommonPosts: 871

For those of you who want to hear what he said, I slowed down the video and reuploaded it:

http://videobam.com/qMuhS

• winterwinter Member UncommonPosts: 2,281
    LOL SOE's checking their fans Pavlovian response times. Ring the EQN bell and watch the fans slobber over themselves for less then a Kibble.
  • winterwinter Member UncommonPosts: 2,281
    Originally posted by Maelzrael

If this game is not the most innovative game in the history of the genre no one will ever ever get hyped about a game ever again.

Never say never.

• HokieHokie Member UncommonPosts: 1,063

I figured they'd be nice enough to give away something. I was still hoping for more of a "LOL f*****s" though.

But really, now that I think about it there was something in there for everyone.

"I understand that if I hear any more words come pouring out of your **** mouth, Ill have to eat every fucking chicken in this room."

• xxxxxx1xxxxxx1 Member UncommonPosts: 105
    Originally posted by Hokie

I figured they'd be nice enough to give away something. I was still hoping for more of a "LOL f*****s" though.

But really, now that I think about it there was something in there for everyone.

I wonder if we can remove the blur on his mouth, so that we can read his lips.

• KiyorisKiyoris Member RarePosts: 2,130
    bad SoE, bad
  • AcidonAcidon Member UncommonPosts: 796
    Originally posted by ice-vortex

Not if you played the original EQ.  Looks like a Kobold to me.

Here's a clip with the audio slowed down:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rvQv7C7KI4&feature=youtu.be

• KiyorisKiyoris Member RarePosts: 2,130

That is some kick-ass design!

Originally posted by DMKano

No the last picture is a Kobold - that's what kobolds look like in EQ1 now, been like that for many years actually.

Also the creature in the picture is a *goblin* not kobold, shame that even a senior producer is clueless about it, and is giving wrong information in the video.

Here's a screenshot from Velktor's Labyrinth (Eq1):

Also here's an EQ1 Goblin:

Kobolds in EQ1 are flat faced knuckle draggers just as you posted. That concept art is not, it is long snouted dog or hyena anthromorph, much closer to a traditional D&D gnoll and again reflected in EQ1,

The creature in that picture is not a goblin, in either the D&D or EQ sense. Goblins do not have tails nor are they draconic or lizardlike. That is obviously a traditional D&D kobold which are small draconic creatures related to dragons.

• ArakaziArakazi Member UncommonPosts: 911
    I lolled. Maybe MMORPG will give them a reward for it too.
    Originally posted by DMKano
    Originally posted by Kiyoris

That is some kick-ass design!

It's very similar to EQ1 kobold:

The EQ1 kobold looks like a bulldog while the EQN concept art looks like a hyena.

• sanshi44sanshi44 Member UncommonPosts: 1,187

yeah i was thinking that aswell but the pic looks just like EQ1 original kobolds, even the colour scheme and fur patterns match up quite well

Here a gnaoll

and a lizard man from EQ1 which is quite a bit similar to the little lizardy thing in the painting.

added the gnoll and lizard man pics since poeple are talking bout gnoll and lizard like beings

Edit: also a picture of a sarnark because there very familiar to the kobolds (lizardy tryope one) however these guys are rather taller (taller than humans)

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387
    Originally posted by mjr727
    Little baffled that they would make a completed pre-announcement stretch goal be released AFTER the August 2nd reveal.  Where's Francis?

remember its a multi day event. so likely info released on each day certain parts at a time.

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• wizardanimwizardanim Member Posts: 278
    Originally posted by Draedz
    Hilarious.  Its like poking ravenous wolves with a stick.

This could very well describe the combat system!

I agree, the black box video seems to be just to toss something out there - I wouldn't be surprised if they don't release a sketch until the 2nd either.

• helothelot Member UncommonPosts: 99

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQkhb7xbWQY

^^^ Everquest Next Black Box Video #2.  ^^

• DjuchadeDjuchade Member Posts: 29
    Can't help but I lol'd

• HanthosHanthos Member UncommonPosts: 242

That's funny!

I just hope that it doesn't turn out to be a GW2 or NW retread...