Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Preview] EverQuest II: The Darkness Dawns Today

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

The latest in a long string of updates to EverQuest 2, Darkness Dawns, is slated to hit live service today, July 23rd. We were able to attend a tour of Darkness Dawns and have a terrific preview to share. Read on before heading to the comments to talk about it.

First, Akil began by telling us a bit about the Signature Line, and the team gave us a sneak peek at one of the “most epic events” in EQ2 so far. Darkness Dawns’ SL (part of the team’s epically long and detailed solo story quest line that goes through the entire game) picks up where the last game update ended with players having captured a relic called the Tear of Veeshan. You’ve taken the tear and are trying to figure out if you can use its power. Throughout the Signature Line, players have been working to protect Norrath from a great and terrible prismatic dragon known as “The Doom of Norrath”.  You gather with the other heroes trying to stop the dragon to hopefully harness the power of the Tear of Veeshan... but it doesn’t go as planned, really. I won’t spoil any of it for you, but I will say that the Signature Line quest is one of the most visually impressive I’ve seen in EQ2, and is a testament to the team’s continued hard work at keeping the game thriving as it nears its first decade birthday. It made me want to log back into EQ2 and climb through the levels just to experience the SL myself.

Read more of Bill Murphy's EverQuest 2: The Darkness Dawns Today.

All nine of Norrath’s Avatars lined up like the Usual Suspects.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• 32823233282323 Member Posts: 9
    Thank You, great news. Keep the EverQuest 2 and EQN news coming please!
  • winterwinter Member UncommonPosts: 2,281

Wow impressive now one never has to be bothered to THINK about what one wants ones character to be, one can just let the SOE devs build your character for you! Thinking is hard much better to be a sheep and let SOE do the thinking for you. Well at least its not mandantory yet to use CAT's that will probably be introduced in EQN.

Does make you wonder whats next in SOE's line of "Improvements" while they remove choice and depth in the chase for the holy casual grail. Can't wait for when they make the game play the game for you because choices, options, and thinking is just too hard

• ariestearieste Member UncommonPosts: 3,309

The CAT templates are mainly aimed at new players.  They actually don't even make sense for experienced players.   

The amount of things to absorb for a new player in EQ2 is quite overwhelming.  When I started in the game, I had to figure out all my spells, adventuring, crafting, etc.  I didn't have to worry about AAs, prestige abilities, class foci - any of that stuff.  I learned AAs - as they were added to the game - one tree at a time over years.   Asking a newbie to learn it all at the same time immediately on starting a character is rather unfairy - and probably alienating - to new players.  So having a template in place until you learn the abilities is a good thing.  

Even most experienced players in EQ2, when rolling a new alt, will generally just copy a good player's spec and then adjust it as they learn the class.  So from that point of view, I certainly don't see the harm in it.

Also....

"I’d rather work on something with great potential than on fulfilling a promise of mediocrity."

- Raph Koster

Tried: AO,EQ,EQ2,DAoC,SWG,AA,SB,HZ,CoX,PS,GA,TR,IV,GnH,EVE, PP,DnL,WAR,MxO,SWG,FE,VG,AoC,DDO,LoTRO,Rift,TOR,Aion,Tera,TSW,GW2,DCUO,CO,STO
    Favourites: AO,SWG,EVE,TR,LoTRO,TSW,EQ2, Firefall
    Currently Playing: ESO

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    Originally posted by winter

Wow impressive now one never has to be bothered to THINK about what one wants ones character to be, one can just let the SOE devs build your character for you! Thinking is hard much better to be a sheep and let SOE do the thinking for you. Well at least its not mandantory yet to use CAT's that will probably be introduced in EQN.

Does make you wonder whats next in SOE's line of "Improvements" while they remove choice and depth in the chase for the holy casual grail. Can't wait for when they make the game play the game for you because choices, options, and thinking is just too hard

God bless us, everyone!

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • aspekxaspekx Member UncommonPosts: 2,167
    another solid review, thanks BMurphy.

"There are at least two kinds of games.
    One could be called finite, the other infinite.
    A finite game is played for the purpose of winning,
    an infinite game for the purpose of continuing play."
    Finite and Infinite Games, James Carse

• ArskaaaArskaaa Member RarePosts: 1,265
    Almost make me want to play game again:)
  • Entris38Entris38 Member UncommonPosts: 401

Still my go to game, another great update. I still prefer how hard it was at launch, but they just keep pumping out content and more reasons to keep playing. Been with EQ2 since launch , off and on. The pre-made templates are great for people who just don't know how they should spec, they are actually pretty decent templates from what I have seen, could use a bit if tinkering with to one's own liking.

If you haven't tried EQ2, you just may be missing out on a gem.