Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Links to hands-on previews with Elder Scrolls Online, march 19 2013

2»

Comments

• ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361
    Originally posted by CthulhuPuffs

Until these gaming sites actually send out someone who writes a Non-bias review pointing out the good AND bad in a game I dont take any stock in what they say.

These "Previews" of upcoming games are just paid-for-advertisements that always show the game in a positive light.

Penny Arcade Preview

"This was the first “uh-oh” moment. ZeniMax Online has clearly invested in a ton of voice talent for The Elder Scrolls Online, but the female Argonian made a poor first impression. Her voice was high-pitched and flavored with just the barest hint of a pirate-y accent, and the delivery felt off; it was just a bit too colorful, too cartoonish.

The Argonian wasn't the only one, though. Later on, I met up with a cowardly Orc who was trying to decide between being the warrior his mother wanted him to be, or the blacksmith he wanted to be. It was an interesting enough story, but again, the impact felt lessened by over-dramatic voice acting.

Another quest sent me to rescue a woman who had been captured by pirates, and the quest-giver sounded very concerned indeed. When I rescued the girl, she ran off with a loud and happy thanks that sounded less like someone who'd just been freed from potential torture, murder, and other unpleasantries, and more like a schoolgirl who'd dropped her books. Tee hee!

The Elder Scrolls universe can be a dark and foreboding place. This is a series of games where you had to sacrifice someone who either trusted you or had been paid to serve as your assistant to a demon in order to get every achievement. People are routinely tortured, brutally murdered, or eaten, so it's a bit strange to see such cartoonish animations and hear the equally exaggerated voices, though occasionally the dark tone comes through in the game's missions. One such quest had me re-live the life of a deceased orc, killing unarmed prisoners who had surrendered in order to discover how to open a dungeon's door.

It's possible the tone will change as you level up, but right now this doesn't always feel like an Elder Scrolls game. It feels good, mind you; there's nothing wrong with exaggerated animations or cartoonish dialogue, and Elder Scrolls games mean a lot of different things to a lot of different people. This toned-down vision may not be a deal-breaker, but it's there, and it's noticeable."

• hMJemhMJem Member Posts: 465

It's because most Elder Scrolls fans have unrealistic expectations. This game has to appeal more to the MMO base than Elder Scrolls, that's the bottom line. This isnt going to be Skyrim with other human players to talk to and fight and walk around with. If that is your expectation, you will be let down.

This game DOES feel like an Elder Scrolls game. It feels like a unique MMO. it looks unique. Its AI is unique. Cyrodill is unique, WoW has had smaller versions, never of this magnitude.

This will be a successful MMO, and I am very looking forward to playing this instead of WoW.

• Crazy_StickCrazy_Stick Member Posts: 1,059

I haven’t read any hands on preview yet that really shows how combat plays out. I want to get a look at video footage. Hopefully some previewer will go into more nuts and bolts after this weekend. Based on the way combat is described in previews presented here (stiff, played out, animations akin to Skyrim) with mouse keys one and two dedicated to attack control, I am wondering if this will be a game where people will prefer or find themselves forced into keyboard movement over mouse turning when using typical hardware like a three button mouse?

If so, it’s a big change from the current thing in MMORPGs (particularly PVP) where people try to mouse turn around a target as fast as they can for melee while spamming their attack button. That’s not a bad thing in that I am reminded of some older games that played out more tactically where you circled looking for an opening while looking to get an attack chain going and make them use up their dodge / block stamina before a big hit. It would redefine what people call skilled play to something a bit smarter rather than just mechanical.

I can see people playing 3rd person most of the time to keep an eye out around them and dabbling with 1st person in exploration already though. In the AvA realm so much will be going on around you that the limitations imposed by 1st person sound a bit character suicidal.

• hMJemhMJem Member Posts: 465
    It would depend on how line of sight goes. The reason mouse-spinning became popular is because if you are also a melee fighter, you cant even hit them if you arent looking at them So it's like a strafing/juking contest to see who can get the most LOS issues for their opponent while also being annoying.
  • SentnlSentnl Member Posts: 73
    Originally posted by hMJem
    It would depend on how line of sight goes. The reason mouse-spinning became popular is because if you are also a melee fighter, you cant even hit them if you arent looking at them So it's like a strafing/juking contest to see who can get the most LOS issues for their opponent while also being annoying.

You can move during instant "cast" attack animations, and you have to have the reticule inside of the enemies hit box, so I guarantee you, there will be strafe/juke/orbit lulz.

It's a great system, it sorts out the future pros from the bads. It also gives the bads a message "Learn or suffer fails"

I sometimes play under the alias "Exposed". Don't tell anybody.

• StMichaelStMichael Member Posts: 183
    Anyone else think this game would have been a lot more interesting if the "war" were between the Fighter, Mage and Thieves guilds, which allow you to join as whatever character you choose to create? 
  • keithiankeithian Member UncommonPosts: 3,191
    Originally posted by StMichael
    Anyone else think this game would have been a lot more interesting if the "war" were between the Fighter, Mage and Thieves guilds, which allow you to join as whatever character you choose to create? 

Though I think the game seems interesting now, I like your idea. I'm sure everyone would be whining about balance issues endlessly though, but very interesting thought :-)

There Is Always Hope!

• HorusraHorusra Member EpicPosts: 4,411
    Originally posted by keithian

Though I think the game seems interesting now, I like your idea. I'm sure everyone would be whining about balance issues endlessly though, but very interesting thought :-)

And that fits into ES lore how?

• StMichaelStMichael Member Posts: 183
    Originally posted by Horusra
    Originally posted by keithian

And that fits into ES lore how?

It doesn't. They'd be making it up in an era of the lore thousands of years before the games just like they are with the current faction war. Only it would be a war between guilds that don't discriminate between race and would have resembled the single player games a lot more than what they are currently making.

• bubalubabubaluba Member Posts: 434
    Yes sure and here is the link from guy on youtube that never disappointed me. And he is excited about  TESO.  It will be the best game until EQ next comes out :)    forceplays eso on tube, can't post link
    Originally posted by bubaluba
    Yes sure and here is the link from guy on youtube that never disappointed me. And he is excited about  TESO.  It will be the best game until EQ next comes out :)    forceplays eso on tube, can't post link

I think you mean this one

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvEBPhaW4bk

There Is Always Hope!

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

Until these gaming sites actually send out someone who writes a Non-bias review pointing out the good AND bad in a game I dont take any stock in what they say.

These "Previews" of upcoming games are just paid-for-advertisements that always show the game in a positive light.

100% this. Previews are almost always overwhelmingly positive.

• NasherUKNasherUK Member UncommonPosts: 480

The game just look like every other fantasy MMO from the past 10 years...

The way the developers struggle to come up with anything innovative or interesting during interviews is also quite worrying.  From what we've seen of the game so far (including leaked beta footage), it's nothing special and tbh looks quite dull.

• ScalplessScalpless Member UncommonPosts: 1,426

Rock, Paper, Shotgun:

"I felt like I was playing A Fantasy MMO with Elder Scrolls elements – thankfully, more of them than I expected – sprinkled on top. That’s not meant to be a damning appraisal by any means, and there’s certainly time for major changes before launch, as the suddenly existent first-person mode demonstrates. Based on what I was able to play, however, TESO’s currently a competent but largely typical MMO with a few interesting buds that could blossom into something far more unique."

Pretty much what I expected. The RPS preview is quite good, by the way, and seems objective. Also:

"The sandy, sun-scorched starting area felt largely lifeless when quests weren’t leading the way, so I eventually relented and bounced between golden, ultra-obvious circles on my minimap – ultimately gaining passage to a new area once I’d wrapped up the main plot of the first. I was hoping the more expansive locales around Daggerfall would offer greater variety, but alas. No such luck."

Eww. Forget racial restrictions and other weird decisions. This alone makes this game a not-TES.

• Sky.FalconSky.Falcon Member UncommonPosts: 60
    Originally posted by Arcona

Love the 3 factions and the keep warfare, hope we surpass DAOC  one day :)

4 man dungeons, and no raids. That's pretty unusual, but very Elder Scrolls like, I guess

The skill system sounds like GW2's, awesome

What do you mean by no raids? There will be 12 man group instances at launch.

Pretty much played every MMO that's come out since WoW.../sigh
  • GatlanGatlan Member UncommonPosts: 141
    Originally posted by Sky.Falcon
    Originally posted by Arcona

Love the 3 factions and the keep warfare, hope we surpass DAOC  one day :)

4 man dungeons, and no raids. That's pretty unusual, but very Elder Scrolls like, I guess

The skill system sounds like GW2's, awesome

What do you mean by no raids? There will be 12 man group instances at launch.

You didn't notice that he (Arcona) posted that 11 months ago?  This is an old thread.

• brbrainerdbrbrainerd Member UncommonPosts: 19
    Worth adding to the list: First Impressions and Analysis (by me).  

NEW Exclusive Gameplay and Analysis: The Elder Scrolls Online

Check out my channel for the latest TESO news and exclusive gameplay footage.

I think they should just sticky this since its more up to date than the current sticky then we can add the more neutral ones as well :-).

http://elderscrollsonline.com/en/news/post/2014/02/13/hands-on-beta-impressions

There Is Always Hope!

• LizardKing89LizardKing89 Member UncommonPosts: 61

If you could find one please post it.  I'll be trying the beta myself soon (hopefully).

• LizardKing89LizardKing89 Member UncommonPosts: 61
    Originally posted by brbrainerd

Great informative review and entertaining as well good job.

• Mesk4Mesk4 Member UncommonPosts: 4
    Originally posted by brbrainerd

in your video you mention that you can't switch weapon during combat but as far as i know you can, but i might be wrong is there anyone who can confirm?

• TsumoroTsumoro Member UncommonPosts: 435

For people like me, that like looking at game footage without commentary directing your view I found a play list that has a couple of hours play I believe. https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL3vg8dgpQ27VKK-PeTReYn3ADIsytfu9k

From what I have seen, it would appear like the game plays a bit like every new MMO, with some extras. Although, it does look like it has a slower pace. Whether or not this holds up through the entire game and it feels fluid coming into the end game is another matter all together. 

So, far, looks fun, but not sure on lasting appeal.