Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: Revival - New Sandbox MMO Announced

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Revival is a new sandbox MMO just announced by IllFonic. According to a new report over at ShogunGamer.com, the team is creating Revival out of a sheer love of the sandbox genre. The team is looking to create an immersive world where every single person has a hand in the way the world plays out.

“The game is non-linear, start where you want, do what you want, when you want.  Don’t like PVP? Don’t do it, you aren’t punished for it. Hate people? Don’t play with them, do what you want.  Love PVP? This is an open ended sandbox world, kill who you want, when you want,” said Kedhrin of the general approach Revival is currently striving for. It may seem like the game is mildly reminiscent of titles on the market already, but IllFonic is going several steps further to provide a gameplay experience that doesn’t simply provide a modicum of improvement upon a standard series of design tropes.

Read more about Revival at the link above.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• thegreatestagainthegreatestagain Member Posts: 35
    i like the screenshots and they have some great ideas there, but the b2p/f2p discussion at the end concerns me
  • SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    Originally posted by thegreatestagain
    i like the screenshots and they have some great ideas there, but the b2p/f2p discussion at the end concerns me

As always, huh? :|

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• azarhalazarhal Member RarePosts: 1,402

hmm, isn't the bold parts contradicting each others. How can you ignore PvP when PvP players can kill who ever they want, want they want?

“The game is non-linear, start where you want, do what you want, when you want.  Don’t like PVP? Don’t do it, you aren’t punished for it. Hate people? Don’t play with them, do what you want.  Love PVP? This is an open ended sandbox world, kill who you want, when you want,”

They have cool ideas and nice looking game, but some features seems like a goldmine for griefers (you can rob stores at night, aka expect all the stores to be empty every morning).

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916

From the producers of the well-known "Nexuiz" and the acclaimed "Ghetto Golf", we have the next sandbox FFA-PVP MMORPG: "Revival" !

Uhuh...

Yet ANOTHER "sandbox" MMO ? What is the world coming to ? image

Is this a groundbreaking title, or is it the first "EQNext clone" ? image

• ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361
    Originally posted by SpottyGekko

From the producers of the well-known "Nexuiz" and the acclaimed "Ghetto Golf", we have the next sandbox FFA-PVP MMORPG: "Revival" !

Uhuh...

Yet ANOTHER "sandbox" MMO ? What is the world coming to ? image

Is this a groundbreaking title, or is it the first "EQNext clone" ? image

sounds more like a Ultima Online clone

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297

"Don’t like PVP? Don’t do it"

"Love PVP? ... kill who you want, when you want"

....riiiiiiiight.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • DakirnDakirn Member UncommonPosts: 372
    Originally posted by Vannor

....riiiiiiiight.

LOL.. I thought the same thing.

What he really meant was "Don't like to PVP? Don't do it, as long as it doesn't contradict someone else's love of PVP and slaughtering you over and over again."

You can't say you don't have to PvP and then tell others they can kill whoever they want whenever they want. It's not logical.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Killing who you want, when you want combined with not doing PvP when you don't want to? How does that make any sense?

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

haha wat?!

• Muerte_XMuerte_X Member Posts: 104
    Hm... a bit of PR before a kickstarter campaign? Either way interesting ideas.

Often lurking, rarely posting

• mcrippinsmcrippins Member RarePosts: 1,625

So depressing to read all of the posts crying about pvp. For whatever reason - everyone seems to think that the second they run out of a safe zone they are going to get ganked by 100 people salivating over their trash gear. That's not really how it works, and the opposite is often true. These PKers and PvP'ers that some of you are sooo scared of - are hunted more times than not. There is the occasional reject who decides to kill as many newbies as he can to make himself feel better about life. That guy also most likely sucks at PvP which is why he hunts new players. So as long as you're not terrible and have a sense of direction - you're most likely ok. 

I have to ask though.. aren't you guys tired of NO Risk and FULL reward? I'm not even talking about PvP at this point. Even PvE has become this way. *Oh noes I died! Now I have to spend a few gold!* -Really? How about.. "Oh %@#! I just got killed by 2 people.." *calls friends and mobilizes group  to find these 2 people.* Now all of the sudden you have a mission. A mission that is dynamic. Unscripted. Your personal challenge, and you came up with it all by yourself! Why do we need developers to hold our hands with quest systems? You ask for something new and refreshing, but there are only so many ways you can design something that is by nature.. linear. 

• bubbabillbubbabill Member Posts: 80
    Originally posted by mcrippins

So depressing to read all of the posts crying about pvp. For whatever reason - everyone seems to think that the second they run out of a safe zone they are going to get ganked by 100 people salivating over their trash gear. That's not really how it works, and the opposite is often true. These PKers and PvP'ers that some of you are sooo scared of - are hunted more times than not. There is the occasional reject who decides to kill as many newbies as he can to make himself feel better about life. That guy also most likely sucks at PvP which is why he hunts new players. So as long as you're not terrible and have a sense of direction - you're most likely ok. 

I have to ask though.. aren't you guys tired of NO Risk and FULL reward? I'm not even talking about PvP at this point. Even PvE has become this way. *Oh noes I died! Now I have to spend a few gold!* -Really? How about.. "Oh %@#! I just got killed by 2 people.." *calls friends and mobilizes group  to find these 2 people.* Now all of the sudden you have a mission. A mission that is dynamic. Unscripted. Your personal challenge, and you came up with it all by yourself! Why do we need developers to hold our hands with quest systems? You ask for something new and refreshing, but there are only so many ways you can design something that is by nature.. linear. 

nope not tired of the no risk full reward,  if game is forced pvp i just dont play it.  simple.    but you enjoy your pvp im not here to stop you or any pvpers  to play my way. 

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

So depressing to read all of the posts crying about pvp. For whatever reason - everyone seems to think that the second they run out of a safe zone they are going to get ganked by 100 people salivating over their trash gear. That's not really how it works, and the opposite is often true. These PKers and PvP'ers that some of you are sooo scared of - are hunted more times than not. There is the occasional reject who decides to kill as many newbies as he can to make himself feel better about life. That guy also most likely sucks at PvP which is why he hunts new players. So as long as you're not terrible and have a sense of direction - you're most likely ok.  I have to ask though.. aren't you guys tired of NO Risk and FULL reward? I'm not even talking about PvP at this point. Even PvE has become this way. *Oh noes I died! Now I have to spend a few gold!* -Really? How about.. "Oh %@#! I just got killed by 2 people.." *calls friends and mobilizes group  to find these 2 people.* Now all of the sudden you have a mission. A mission that is dynamic. Unscripted. Your personal challenge, and you came up with it all by yourself! Why do we need developers to hold our hands with quest systems? You ask for something new and refreshing, but there are only so many ways you can design something that is by nature.. linear. 
    Why do mmos always rely on risk of death and losing your stuff as a primary motivator? There are so many other ways people can log on and play together in a fun and rewarding manner. Its discouraging sometimes that we as a gamers can't seem to evolve past our obsession with death. We have to constantly be faced with the threat of death, conquer it, deal it out, bend it to our will. Its exhaustingly played out.
  • BadaboomBadaboom Member UncommonPosts: 2,380
    Open world FFA games are the most fun because of the randomness and anything can (and does) happen.  As for this game...wake me up when its released because I'm not going to waste another moment thinking about it.
  • DrakynnDrakynn Member Posts: 2,030

No one before you was crying you were the first to start the whine train.

Before that people were only pointing out the incongruity  of two of the statements made

• AyulinAyulin Member Posts: 334
    Originally posted by Dakirn
    Originally posted by Vannor

....riiiiiiiight.

LOL.. I thought the same thing.

What he really meant was "Don't like to PVP? Don't do it, as long as it doesn't contradict someone else's love of PVP and slaughtering you over and over again."

You can't say you don't have to PvP and then tell others they can kill whoever they want whenever they want. It's not logical.

• StonesDKStonesDK Member UncommonPosts: 1,805

I've always felt that PvP was a cheap way for developers to avoid creating continuous entertaining PvE content. "Hey lets throw PvP into the mix, so when people get  tired of playing through our crappy boring PvE content, they can always just fight each other for a change. It's a win win!

Or better yet. Lets not create any content at all (sandbox) except a few tools some trees and some bushes, and some clickity click crafting then let the players just hit each other and call it content.

• DihoruDihoru Member Posts: 2,731
    Originally posted by lizardbones

Killing who you want, when you want combined with not doing PvP when you don't want to? How does that make any sense?

Flagging system or safe zones, one or the other would explain that pretty well though I am curios to see how FFA PVP fits into a system like that... perhaps something akin to what MO uses but with a more severe punishment for PKing someone who isn't flagged for PVP/not in a safe zone?

Not whining at all. Honestly just trying to understand the train of thought going behind so many open world PvP posts that I've read in the past. To answer some questions - a sandbox open world pvp game does not always mean full loot. It CAN! Doesn't always. There are games out there where you don't always drop an item, but there is a % chance that you could drop pieces of gear. So you had to pick your battles carefully. It also generates and stimulates in-game economies. Makes crafters worth something. More than that actually. Makes them invaluable. I guess i'm just confused because so many people say they want a dynamic and refreshing experience. Yet they are cowardice at the idea of engaging in battle with someone when it might not fit their regularly scheduled programming. 
  • BrynnBrynn Member Posts: 345
    I used to love Sandbox. Why assume it has to be PvP? The game I miss the most is Star Wars Galaxies.  With some imagination in that game, you could create your own fun.
  • BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465
    When you try to pander to everyone, you end up pleasing almost no one.
    Not whining at all. Honestly just trying to understand the train of thought going behind so many open world PvP posts that I've read in the past. To answer some questions - a sandbox open world pvp game does not always mean full loot. It CAN! Doesn't always. There are games out there where you don't always drop an item, but there is a % chance that you could drop pieces of gear. So you had to pick your battles carefully. It also generates and stimulates in-game economies. Makes crafters worth something. More than that actually. Makes them invaluable. I guess i'm just confused because so many people say they want a dynamic and refreshing experience. Yet they are cowardice at the idea of engaging in battle with someone when it might not fit their regularly scheduled programming. 

Then you should of discussed that in more appropriate threads there has been thousands of threads arguing over all that....this was not one of them.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

it will feature full voice acting for all NPCs

wonder what kind of budget they have

Originally posted by Drakynn

Then you should of discussed that in more appropriate threads there has been thousands of threads arguing over all that....this was not one of them.

Openworld PvP was being discussed here. It may not have been directly related to your comment, but it was to others.

Originally posted by Drakynn

Openworld PvP was being discussed here. It may not have been directly related to your comment, but it was to others.

It was being discussed indirectly and not the main thrust of this thread though I'm guessing others like you will make it so.Your first post bore only passing relevance to what went before to posts before and by your own admission was directed at psots in other threads...where you should of posted that first comment.