Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What's the difference between mmorpg.com community and steam community?

bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

Age of Wushu is currently awaiting approval by steam to be green lighted(lite?). The votes are in. This link shows 400+ post "OMG WIN" http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/comments/99247006.

Here on mmorpg, Wushu has been decently received, 7.8 user rating, but there has been no where near the excitement. 

So to my question. What's the difference between these two gaming communities?  Thanks in advance!

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"

Comments

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

I'm not quite sure the significance of a f2p game being available on steam. What am I missing?

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Originally posted by Foomerang

I'm not quite sure the significance of a f2p game being available on steam. What am I missing?

Box copies are sold at gamestop, walmart ect, that might make a difference?

In my opinion Wushu is more of a sub game with a unlimited f2p option. It's difficult for a new none subbed player to keep up. On the other hand a vet player could drop the sub, and never miss it. Idk though, thus my post ;)

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135

It gives bcbully another excuse to promote Wushu on his personal PR campaign.

As for the difference... focus, I would say. The two communities have a lot of overlap, however.

Steam: Is centered around friends, and enjoying great games.

MMORPG.com: Is centered around trolling, drama, and complaining about games (even though that's not this site's intention). Very few threads on this site get by without someone smearing it through the mud.

As for Wushu, whether or not it gets approved by Steam is going to fall under the legistics of the contract. If Steam & Snail can play ball together, I don't see any reason why it wouldn't get approved. However, I don't necessarily think that'll make the game an automatic success. Darkfall UW had the same reception when it was being voted for steam, and it still failed pretty hard. After the steam release it didn't see a significant increase in players at all.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,507

1) F2P - Some folks here hatez this payment model

2) Reportedly bad customer support - people really hate that as well

3) Strange Kung-Fu IP/lore - People really favor high fantasy, where are the damn elves?

4)  P2W - Some folks believe this to be true, regardless of the reality.

5)  Reports of it being a sandbox style game - but is missing some key features/functionality that some folks insist must be part of any "true" sandbox, so is dismissed.

6)  Has "eastern" origins - let's face it, some people won't even give a look at titles not created in the west, sad but true.

7)  AAA - Syndrome - All new titles are expected to deliver AAA quality in terms of presentation and polish, and any title failing to meet up to this expectations are trashed and dismissed.

8)  etc, etc, etc.....

vs

Steam - Wide eyed idealists that will pretty much give any game a try, as long as it's cheap.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

I go to Steam when I want to play games. I go to the Steam forums when I want to fix a problem with a game that I want to play.

I come to MMORPG.com to debate the philosophy of playing games. You could just say it's arguing about games.

The difference is that on Steam, I would vote for or against a game based on whether or not I want to play it. On MMORPG.com, I might for or a against a game based on reasons that don't really have anything to do with playing the game and then argue vehemently in support of those reasons, regardless of what they are supported on. It might be some facts, some theories or a dream I had last night. There's no telling.

Can't really speak for anyone else though.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• MMOGamer71MMOGamer71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,988

That Steam users get to vote on "Greenlight" games they want to see on Steam and play.

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

Originally posted by bcbully
    Originally posted by Foomerang I'm not quite sure the significance of a f2p game being available on steam. What am I missing?

In my opinion Wushu is more of a sub game with a unlimited f2p option. It's difficult for a new none subbed player to keep up. On the other hand a vet player could drop the sub, and never miss it. Idk though, thus my post ;)

Ah thanks I honestly didnt know they sold boxed copies of this game. I noticed I was pretty gimped as a f2p player in this game. And the game let me know how gimped I was at every turn, letting me know I can ungimp myself for a fee ;)
  • LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

Age of Wushu is currently awaiting approval by steam to be green lighted(lite?). The votes are in. This link shows 400+ post "OMG WIN" http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/comments/99247006.

Here on mmorpg, Wushu has been decently received, 7.8 user rating, but there has been no where near the excitement. 

So to my question. What's the difference between these two gaming communities?  Thanks in advance!

This site is made up of MMO gamers, Many of the people commenting have already read up on the game or played it themselves.

Steam is a mix of gamers, many who, from reading the comments, have only seen the trailers. If you've only seen the trailers, this game is one of the most amazing things to ever be created in the history of ever. How could you not be excited for it?

Another thing is the context. Here, when discussing a game, it's whether you would play it or not and why you would or wouldn't. It is a far more opinion-based and subjective discussion. In the Steam Greenlight section, it's simply whether you would be interested in seeing it added to Steam or not. Obviously, more choice is better.

EDIT:   imageimage for lizardbones' post.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• KenaoshiKenaoshi Member UncommonPosts: 1,022

Steam: Love to play games.

MMORPG: Love to hate games we don't play.

now: GW2 (11 80s).
    Dark Souls 2.
    future: Mount&Blade 2 BannerLord.
    "Bro, do your even fractal?"
    Recommends: Guild Wars 2, Dark Souls, Mount&Blade: Warband, Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by Kenaoshi

Steam: Love to play games.

MMORPG: Love to hate games we don't play.

Give this man a kewpie doll!

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

42 votes...

• guascoguasco Member UncommonPosts: 68
    Originally posted by Kyleran

...where are the damn elves?

lol

• angelknight4angelknight4 Member Posts: 98

Originally posted by Foomerang I'm not quite sure the significance of a f2p game being available on steam. What am I missing?

Ah thanks I honestly didnt know they sold boxed copies of this game. I noticed I was pretty gimped as a f2p player in this game. And the game let me know how gimped I was at every turn, letting me know I can ungimp myself for a fee ;)

It took them a while to get box version into those stores, like 1-2 weeks after said official releases because the box version look really cheap.

Many players reports at how cheap the version look, the printing is half-ass and doesn't look professional at all.

Remember, to play VIP storyline with Jet Li, you have to create your character after you apply the code. Otherwise, you are screwed with it, another one of the big complaint from the people.

Anyway, I hope the Steam community join in because as of now, the amount of population decrease each day to the point it is not really enjoyable or worth to log in with so little people around.

• rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870

The boxes give like 60 days of VIP and some 30 day items (clothes and probably a horse) that will disappear, ...well after the 30 days once equipped.  It's basically a starter kit. You also get gold which can be used for their cash shop or can be used to buy more VIP time.  Keep in mind though that if you get hacked and lose that gold, you will not get it back due to Snails account security policy. 

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440

Maybe the Steam community hasn't played it.  But seriously, Steam users love F2P games, unlike a lot of users here who pull out a cross and hiss every time the word Free is mentioned.  That's probably the reason.

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    People come here looking for better mmos, they go to steam looking for cheaper games.
    Originally posted by DamonVile
    People come here looking for better mmos, they go to steam looking for cheaper games.

DaminVile 2012 - It's easy to be negative about everything then pat yourself on the back for being right. The down side of being like that is your life sucks...but hey at least you're never fooled right ?

What happened to this guy image

Originally posted by Kuraphimaru

Originally posted by DamonVile People come here looking for better mmos, they go to steam looking for cheaper games.
    DaminVile 2012 - It's easy to be negative about everything then pat yourself on the back for being right. The down side of being like that is your life sucks...but hey at least you're never fooled right ?

What happened to this guy 

how did ya extrapolate that conclusion from what DamonVile wrote?
    He is right after. After all, we all go to steam for one thing only, to buy a game that is hopefully on a sale. Steam has no general gamings forums to talk about games that are not on steam's menu. The are no forums dedicated to yet to be released games. Shadowrun comes out on Thursday on Steam but no forums for that game on their website. The forums for actually released games are mainly filled with "Is it worth it?", "OMFG, something doesn't work, help me now or else", or very rare "Here is what I think of this game" types threads. That's it. There is no community other than that on Steam forums.

Here we all come to either talk about MMOs and games or look for the MMO that we might enjoy playing next.

So yea, how did ya infer doom and gloom from him?

Historical reference ;)