Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guild Wars 2 set in Tamriel

@12:45 He starts talking about Wildstar, so you can stop there.

http://youtu.be/p6oVX4jPkSY?t=10m20s

@21:20 He starts talking about Wildstar, so you can stop there.

http://youtu.be/p6oVX4jPkSY?t=20m18s

Elder Scrolls Online:  What did they do?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YwQfW4XXWOA

Comments

• Brabbit1987Brabbit1987 Member UncommonPosts: 782
    Originally posted by jimprouner

OK? and why does his opinion matter?

• jimprounerjimprouner Member Posts: 142
    Originally posted by Brabbit1987

Why does any opinion matter?

lol exactly. No matter what you post, it isn't going to change anything. Also, what this guy says is borderline stupid. 

Guild wars 2 tried to be different instead of being what people want. Really? What do people want ? All I hear is mixed opinions on what people like. It is impossible to please everyone.

As for ESO, how are they even remotely doing the same as guild wars? They are not trying to do something different, they are simply trying to make an Elder Scrolls game online.

As for what he has heard? Ya i heard a lot of stuff too, heck I have heard a lot of BS. I also have heard a lot of good things. However really, no one is going to actually know if the game is good or not until it comes out. So what you or I heard doesn't really matter much. 

lol exactly. No matter what you post, it isn't going to change anything. Also, what this guy says is borderline stupid. 

Guild wars 2 tried to be different instead of being what people want. Really? What do people want ? All I hear is mixed opinions on what people like. It is impossible to please everyone.

As for ESO, how are they even remotely doing the same as guild wars? They are not trying to do something different, they are simply trying to make an Elder Scrolls game online.

As for what he has heard? Ya i heard a lot of stuff too, heck I have heard a lot of BS. I also have heard a lot of good things. However really, no one is going to actually know if the game is good or not until it comes out. So what you or I heard doesn't really matter much. 

I wouldn't call it stupid.  I think he raised some really good points about catering to the lowest common denominator.

A ES game online is VERY different than normal MMOs.

Heck even the devs said this game is more of an ES game online, than an MMO.

I wouldn't call it stupid.  I think he raised some really good points about catering to the lowest common denominator.

A ES game online is VERY different than normal MMOs.

Heck even the devs said this game is more of an ES game online, than an MMO.

Right, but that still doesn't mean it's comparable to what guild wars 2 did.

What I mean is, 2 games can try to be different than the norm, but one can be bad while the other is good. The reason for this is just because they both tried to be different, doesn't mean they tried the same things.

Also, no offence, the fact that it is Elder Scrolls automatically makes it pretty much different to start with. I don't think this game will be for everyone, but the way this guy acts is as if the game will be bad.

The other issue, which I stated before, what do players want to play? He made a  statement saying instead of making games you think players want to play, make games that they do want to play. However, he does't go into describing his thoughts on what he thinks people "do" want to play. 

As I said, I have been a frequenter on these forums for a long time, and really no one can agree with what they want in an MMO, so I do not see how any company can just make a game that caters to what people want. It's impossible.

They seem shockingly similar from what  I have been hearing.

3 faction PvP

PvP zones

PvE zones that scale

Lack of progression raiding.

Catered towards casuals

LAS - Limited action set

Dodging

Blocking skills in GW2 are held down which is pretty similar to what ESO is doing.

They are both mostly single player games with the title MMO slapped on after the fact.

3 faction PvP

PvP zones

PvE zones that scale

Catered towards casuals

LAS - Limited action set

Dodging

Blocking skills in GW2 are held down which is pretty similar to what ESO is doing.

First of all, 3 faction pvp has nothing to do with a game being good or bad.

PvP zones have nothing to do with a game being good or bad.

PvE zones that scale ... still same thing.

All these features you lsit don't makea game good or bad. It is what you do with said features.

As for dodging ... no duh ... it's an elder scrolls game.

Blocking .. again no duh .. it's an elder scrolls game.

Have you never played an Elder scrolls game? If you have, you would know exactly why they added those features.

Last but not least, catering towards casuals? How so and in what way?

Also just so you know, I watched the rest of the video, and holy crap this guy is so retarded XD. Yes, he does make some good points, but 80% of what he says is stupid. What he is saying developers should do is what they been freaking doing the since WoW. They are only NOW starting to try different things because guess what, what he is saying to do, already didn't WORK!

He said WoW revolutionized the wheel and companies are now trying to change it to much. Holy crap, I can't even believe you linked this guy as some sort of case to whatever argument or topic you where trying to bring up. I feel like I just caught stupid like as if it was a cold.

Edit: Just watched the 3rd video and all I heard him complain about was the factions and judged the whole entire game based on it.

• MyTabbycatMyTabbycat Member UncommonPosts: 316

http://tamrielfoundry.com/development-faq/

*shakes head*

People are so silly when they don't have all the facts about a game.

• MiklosanMiklosan Member Posts: 176

From 5:10 in the third/last link OP gave us is nothing but a result of all the whining from carebears in all mmo forums. So the devs of this game are scared to go against them. And this could very well mean a less successful mmo. (hope not though)

The simple solution should ofcourse be:

Make a megaserver for those who don't like to pvp in the open world except Cyrodiil, or who don't like to pvp at all so they can just skip goin into Cyrodiil.

And make a megaserver for those who want the thrill of open world pvp. (sure, starter zones and such could be safe ofc) 

But nope, instead they'll go with this very strange design... 

Hey!!!

Yes?

You drive a car with automatic transimission??

Eh, yes?

NOOO! I don't accept that!! You MUST do as me, get a car with a manual transmission!!! ARGH!!

But but...

Shut up!!!! You ignorent stupid childabuser!!! That's why you got automatic right, so you can have an arm free to do bad things to that child passenger eh??!

What???

I said shut up!! Final words are mine, always!!

...?

• CelciusCelcius Member RarePosts: 1,865

I stopped it pretty quickly after starting it. This guy is just someone slightly louder then a forum poster with no significance whatsoever as far as credibility or intelligence of how the industry works. Every game is a disappointment to someone, every game there are people that dont like it, and in the end...that doesn't matter. GW2 is a huge game with more success then any MMO since WoW. Elder Scrolls Online looks solid, but it won't be as successful as GW2 even with cross platform play more then likely. I expect ESO to start with a sub and end up F2P just like other MMOs have that thought they were bigger then they are just cause of a good IP. 

The fact that he is playing MoP in the video proves to me that he just wants more WoW. If you are still playing WoW at this point there is a good chance you think nothing can beat it. I got news for anyone who thinks that way: The game has lost 4 million subs in a very short period of time and there is not any signs of it doing anything but continue to lose those subs. 

Originally posted by Celcius

I stopped it pretty quickly after starting it. This guy is just someone slightly louder then a forum poster with no significance whatsoever as far as credibility or intelligence of how the industry works. Every game is a disappointment to someone, every game there are people that dont like it, and in the end...that doesn't matter. GW2 is a huge game with more success then any MMO since WoW. Elder Scrolls Online looks solid, but it won't be as successful as GW2 even with cross platform play more then likely. I expect ESO to start with a sub and end up F2P just like other MMOs have that thought they were bigger then they are just cause of a good IP. 

The fact that he is playing MoP in the video proves to me that he just wants more WoW. If you are still playing WoW at this point there is a good chance you think nothing can beat it. I got news for anyone who thinks that way: The game has lost 4 million subs in a very short period of time and there is not any signs of it doing anything but continue to lose those subs. 

The sad thing is I think you are right.

They are going to gouge players a sub fee for a buy to play game.

He quit playing WoW 5 years ago.  Its not hard to get game play footage of MoP.

3 faction PvP

PvP zones

PvE zones that scale

Catered towards casuals

LAS - Limited action set

Dodging

All these features you lsit don't makea game good or bad. It is what you do with said features.

Have you never played an Elder scrolls game? If you have, you would know exactly why they added those features.

Also just so you know, I watched the rest of the video, and holy crap this guy is so retarded XD. Yes, he does make some good points, but 80% of what he says is stupid. What he is saying developers should do is what they been freaking doing the since WoW. They are only NOW starting to try different things because guess what, what he is saying to do, already didn't WORK!

He said WoW revolutionized the wheel and companies are now trying to change it to much. Holy crap, I can't even believe you linked this guy as some sort of case to whatever argument or topic you where trying to bring up. I feel like I just caught stupid like as if it was a cold.

Edit: Just watched the 3rd video and all I heard him complain about was the factions and judged the whole entire game based on it.

I am not saying they were good or bad, I was saying they are things that GW2 has in common with ESO.   I am sure there are tons more, but those were the ones I could think of off the top of my head.

WoW did revolutionize the genre, but they didn't do any huge changes from Everquest.  They took the wheel, and made it better.  Their game succeeded, and they continued working on the wheel.   However, at this point they have strayed too far from the base design of the wheel. 

ESO is tossing the whole design out the window, and trying to make a square wheel. 

3 faction PvP

PvP zones

PvE zones that scale

Catered towards casuals

LAS - Limited action set

Dodging

I am not saying they were good or bad, I was saying they are things that GW2 has in common with ESO.   I am sure there are tons more, but those were the ones I could think of off the top of my head.

WoW did revolutionize the genre, but they didn't do any huge changes from Everquest.  They took the wheel, and made it better.  Their game succeeded, and they continued working on the wheel.   However, at this point they have strayed too far from the base design of the wheel. 

ESO is tossing the whole design out the window, and trying to make a square wheel. 

ROFL, a square wheel? OK, sure. Whatever you say.

If that is the case, I will gladly accept the square wheel and laugh at the people who do the same thing over and over again, who think their wheel is round but is a triangle.

That is fine, but don't call the game a MMORPG, because it isn't.  It is a Multiplayer RPG.
  • PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

3 faction PvP

PvP zones

PvE zones that scale

Catered towards casuals

LAS - Limited action set

Dodging

They are both mostly single player games with the title MMO slapped on after the fact.

3 Faction PvP has been done LONG LONG LONG ago, same with pvp zones. Progression raiding (lack of) has actually been part of lots of games in the past, of which I've seen both hardcore as well as casual friendly games not having raising. Dodging is something thats been more refined as well as blocking though its nothing new.

Seriously, MMos only existed the way they did was due to limitations they had, otherwise they would of had more action elements and more complexity behind them. If your complaint is they are becoming more 'single player' it just screams out that 'innovation' is not what you want. As much as I dislike GW2 and the way they did things, I can't ever dislike them for at least trying to be different from usual where they did add newer elements from the traditional MMo genre.

• SlyLoKSlyLoK Member RarePosts: 2,698

3 faction PvP

PvP zones

PvE zones that scale

Catered towards casuals

LAS - Limited action set

Dodging

1. DAoC

2. DAoC

3. I have not read anywhere that players will scale to PvE content. I know I have read where players will scale when entering Cyrodil ( I can never remember! 1 L or 2? ). So I will need a link please.

4. There will be raids but they arent calling them that in TESO.

5. How do you figure the game caters to casuals?

6. Not nearly as limited as GW2 and you can choose what abilities you want on your skill bar instead of it being tied to whatever weapon you are holding. That is how I have understood so far.

7. Umm. Ok? So it is GW2 because of that?

8. Been in ES.

Originally posted by SlyLoK

3 faction PvP

PvP zones

PvE zones that scale

Catered towards casuals

LAS - Limited action set

Dodging

1. DAoC

2. DAoC

3. I have not read anywhere that players will scale to PvE content. I know I have read where players will scale when entering Cyrodil ( I can never remember! 1 L or 2? ). So I will need a link please.

4. There will be raids but they arent calling them that in TESO.

5. How do you figure the game caters to casuals?

6. Not nearly as limited as GW2 and you can choose what abilities you want on your skill bar instead of it being tied to whatever weapon you are holding. That is how I have understood so far.

7. Umm. Ok? So it is GW2 because of that?

8. Been in ES.

Again, I was merely pointing out similarities between the two.  I am not calling them clones, or saying these ideas are original.

They aren't calling them raids, because they are steamroll zerg fest like in GW2. 

At least they were finally honest about something!

I want to emphasize,

"They are both mostly single player games with the title MMO slapped on after the fact."

• GrixxittGrixxitt Member UncommonPosts: 545

3 faction PvP

PvP zones

PvE zones that scale

Catered towards casuals

LAS - Limited action set

Dodging

Hey buddy, just because 2 games in the same genre are eerily similar, doesn't mean you should COMPARE them in any way, shape, or form alright?

The above is my personal opinion. Anyone displaying a view contrary to my opinion is obviously WRONG and should STHU. (neener neener)

-The MMO Forum Community

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    I don't get the part about holding down skills to block in GW2.  Since when can you do that?  That's an ESO thing, nothing to do with GW2.
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719

More evidence that any moron can get a YouTube following...yawn.

I bet Ms. South Carolina is one of his followers. 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    Yeah, the guy is pretty obnoxious.  He doesn't seem to like anything but WoW, and even that's debatable.  Hmm.. he probably posts here.
  • StrangerousStrangerous Member Posts: 165

Well I certainly agree that GW2 appealed to the lowest common denominator in mmorpg gaming.  It seems to have worked well but whether gw2 was a real hit or not is cloudy as the b2p only clouds the real status of the game.  I remember vividly when the game launched it seemed like half of every mmorpg community went to go play the next big game, then slowly trickled back after a few weeks stating massive disappointment...I know the game still has a following though.

It does seem like a race to remove any complexity, difficulty, risk, progression...ect from mmoprgs to try to suck in more single player gamers and FPS gamers.

Wish we could go back to games that took a long time to "beat" because there was a lot of complexity within progression that lead to wanting to roll another character to try something new.  I don't think era is ever coming back.  They sucked in way too many non RPG players who just want to either play their part in a scripted movie, or log in for instant action game with magic and swords...and want nothing else to do or worry about.

I mean GW2 is basically Defiance with magic and swords...and that game didn't even try to call itself an RPG or mmorpg.  Which I would like to add...works really well for Third Person Shooters...RPG's...meh I play RPG's for other reasons, and its becoming increasingly hard to find that reason in modern games.

Sometimes I wish I was able to get a mmorpg lobotomy and be fine with nothing but short term goals and winning the pvp match and hate dealing with progression and difficulty...would give me a lot more options as to what I would enjoy in mmorpg land.

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    While I am as far from a TESO apologist as there is on these forums I will say that the guy who does these videos is a complete moron who uses nothing but opinions to try and prove a point.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713

Anyone who calls GW2 a single player game with MMO tacked on after the fact never played the game. The very core of the games systems involve players playing together. If anything you could argue that an MMO which requires an active grouping system in order to work together is more "tacked on after the fact".

Everyone works together in GW2 constantly, and despite some of the haters out there it is not an anti-social experience. I have made many friends and continued adventuring with people this way. You know, it does require you to actually open your mouth(chatbox) and say something.

No, the game doesn't force you to be social, but do you really have to be forced to say hi to someone? Is that, what we have come to?

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105

1.  3 faction PvP

2.  PvP zones

3.  PvE zones that scale

4.  Lack of progression raiding.

5.  Catered towards casuals

6.  LAS - Limited action set

7.  Dodging

8.  Blocking skills in GW2 are held down which is pretty similar to what ESO is doing.

1.  This is a DAoC thing, widely considered to be the best PvP game ever made.  The reason why they go for PvP is to make sure to bring in as many different play styles as possible.
    2. 1 PvP zone that is the same size as every zone put together.  I think its safe to say that the one thing TESO is doing right is the PvP so it is a non issue.
    3. Where have they said it scales?  They haven't!  You're making it up, what they have said is there will be open dungeons, reminiscent of old school MMO's.  Again this is a good thing.
    4. No one knows what Adventure zones are but that is supposed to be their version of raiding.  Also be aware that the average player base of a raid centric MMO only has an active raid progression base of 10% of their population.
    5. HOW?
    6. Again this is a good thing, plenty of games go for the deck build approach and its IMO miles better to have to pick and choose your skill set and be limited in your toolset then to have 6+ hotbars full of crap...go play FFXIV if that is what you want.
    7. Which is so much better then having RNG to handle defensive and offensive hit modifiers.  Nothing pissed me off in tab target games then standing next to a target, trading blows and seeing "you missed" when obviously I did not.  It is immersion breaking.  Action Combat is the future of MMO's.
    8. You do not block in GW2, you haven't even played the game have you.
    Again I am not a TESO apologist but I don't believe the game will fail for these reasons, what I think the game will fail is because there is no longevity and certain systems that can be done in an MMO aren't being done.  Namely the removal of housing and the neutering of the exploration centric content.  For me the game will fail because of it's reliance on quest hub design. 

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!